July 29, 2014 | 2094 users online

Powder - Palladio - Wet/Dry foundation

rated 1 of 5 on 3/31/2008 4:13:00 PM More reviews by lisamims1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Turns orange.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2008 12:36:00 PM More reviews by DumbB1onde

I actually bought this a few months ago when I was trying out a million different foundations and forgot about it in all the excitement. I decided to try it again a week ago when I was going to be modeling at a photo shoot and needed something very matte. It was so awesome that I've been using it every day since then and I decided to review it now since it's been long enough to test. I love this foundation. I use it dry, I haven't even bothered trying it wet yet. The coverage is medium and it floats over the pores to make skin look smooth and flawless. I am pale and Laurel Nude happens to be a perfect match for me. There aren't many color options though, so it might be difficult for some to get a good match. The packaging is on the large side because the pad is in a separate ventilated partition, I assume that this is done in case you use it wet, so the wet sponge doesn't melt all the foundation when you store it. Though large, it is high enough quality to withstand banging around in my makeup bag without breaking or coming open. When I first put this on, it is visibly powdery, like mineral makeup, but after about ten minutes it melts into the skin beautifully and becomes invisible. I use the included sponge out of laziness. I assume you could get lighter coverage from a brush. This foundation is also excellent for holding the rest of your makeup on. My blush has been far more tenacious since I started using this, as has my eyeshadow. I think it's because it absorbs the oil that would otherwise cause makeup to slide off my face. In terms of longevity it lasts most of the workday, if I touch up once in the afternoon, the new coat doesn't make the makeup look thick or messy, it just restores the matte finish. This may be my HG foundation.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/25/2008 5:54:00 PM More reviews by nefariouslycruel

Well, I had to return the Ivory myrhh one because it was too pink and bought cypress beige instead. Their colour choice is just not good enough so be careful about that.
Coverage was good and natural looking especially for my acne scars and dark circles.
It lasted for a few hours before my nose got a little shiny but a little touch up was all I needed.
So compared to most foundations, I think it gave me quite a natural and airbrushed like look but I would recommend using a brush instead of the make up sponge in the box. Apart from this, the fact that its quick and less messy than liqud foundation AND not tested on animals makes me love it :)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2008 11:57:00 PM More reviews by Wendy1954

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Base on reviews here, I tried this mineral pressed powder foundation. For me it was just OK. I like the idea of a pressed powder vs. loose. I experimented with the sponge and wet. Color came out splotchy and orangy. I used a brush from my loose mineral makeup and that worked. The coverage is not enough for me and there's not much staying power. This works for someone who needs minimal coverage. If you add too much more to cover, then the finish is just too powdery. I'll keep looking.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2008 1:11:00 AM More reviews by tisha_oz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to love this foundation, and I do! After testing it at the store, I bought Ivory Myrrh and was afraid it was too pink, but my husband loves it and says it's the best color I've tried, because it makes me look more natural/human. It has not turned orange on me - yay! even though I have combination very oily/very dry skin. In fact, it did the best job of anything I've ever tried of covering my flakies and not becoming an oil slick/sliding off after a few hours. The next best DS foundation I have used is Neutrogena Mineral Pressed Powder Foundation and while it gives great coverage (slightly better than Palladio, at first) after 3 hours I became an oil well and had to blot constantly. If I forgot, my skin would absorb the makeup so that in 5 hours or so it looked like I had no foundation left. The Palladio wet/dry, on the other hand, was only starting to look shiny 7 hours later, and once I blotted with Palladio's rice paper sheets it became flawless again! I am in love with this product. It also feels like I am wearing nothing or almost nothing on my skin. TIP: I applied it dry at first and it left what I thought were big powder particles on my skin. After a few applicaion tries, I apply this wet with an EoB foundation brush, and then pick up a small amount with my dry kabuki brush and buff it on as if it were mineral makeup. It looks very natural this way and the very fine powder vestiges it leaves are soon absorbed by my skin makes it look incredibly natural! This foundation is making me like my combination, acne-prone skin a lot better. Good coverage too (but not full, mask-like). For 10 bucks, it's a great find! I was itching to try studio fix but no longer - I think I've found my HG foundation! (Will update in a couple weeks).
UPDATE: I've finally got matched to Studio Fix (the compact) - I'm a C3. But OMG it looked horrible on me! While the color was a better match, the texture was so chalky and powdery my husband even noticed how bad it looked! It also gave my skin lots of huge, obvious flakes all over my forehead and cheeks. With Palladio I rarely get large flakes, and if ever it's like one or two that brush off easily and my skin looks beautiful the rest of the day. I am done trying foundations - this is definitely my HG!
UPDATE2: Got this in Laurel Nude and it's perfect for C3 skin. I use the bit of Ivory Myrrh I have left to darken certain areas of my face when I feel like it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2008 7:32:00 PM More reviews by LittleGnome

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Edited 7/08: My first trial with this product didn't go so well. I ran out of MAC Studio Fix powder, so I thought I'd give this a try. First: Finding a good color match is not easy because the shades are so limited, and both Sallys I have gone to do not have sample tester products out, so you are having to remove the product from the box to look at it, and it's tough to tell without putting it actually on your skin. I wear MAC NC30- mostly/C3 at points in the winter. I tried Neroli Bronze first, it was too dark, then exchanged for Cypress Beige the second time. Cypress Beige is an ok color but it's too beigey/orange/peach undertoned, and not enough yellow/olive undertones for my NC30 skin, but it's acceptable for a emergency 'purse' foundation. Palladio really needs to expand the color range here. The wear: this does cover very well, about the same as Studio Fix, and and initally looks like it's going on smoothly. However: in natural light, you can tell that this can have a tendency to cake on the skin, especially if you apply over moisturizer. With the darker color, Neroli Bronze, it oxidized on my skin after about 30 minutes, turning more orange. I don't find that the Cypress Beige really oxidizes, but the caking aspect worsens with the use of a moisturizer. Sally would not refund it, but they grudgingly let me exchange it for another color. (This is why they should have a product tester). What I do like about this product more than MAC Studiofix, is that because it's a rice powder product, it causes less oil seepage to come through after 4-5 hours. I had to turn my Studiofix compacts into a loose powder foundation and add some EM Start to Finish powder to them to make it better for my oily skin (the EM Start to Finish is also a rice powder product). This is not a true mineral makeup; it's rice powder makeup with zinc oxide. I use a rice powder primer from an etailer with most other loose mineral makeups, and that wears better on me.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/17/2008 12:27:00 AM More reviews by fwilmore

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I sooooo wanted to love this foundation. This is one time when the great reviews burned me. I was looking for a cheaper alternative to MAC studio fix. I'm NC35 and I first chose CYPRESS BEIGE. Well, I liked the coverage, but I could tell it was a little too dark for me. Then, about an hour later it turned severely orange on me! I'm very oily, so that may have made it worse. So, I returned it to Ulta and exchanged it for IVORY MYRRH thinking that since it was lighter, it would not turn orange on me. Well, when I first put it on it seemed like a pretty good match, but once again, an hour later, I turned orange. :(
The only think I liked was the packaging. I'm returning this one.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2008 5:58:00 PM More reviews by officefan

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

What a wonderful product! Blended perfectly with my skin and did NOT look cakey! Couldn't believe how amazing my skin looked. Amazing powder.

I am on my second compact and still loving this stuff. Such nice natural looking results. Will definitely continue to buy.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2008 4:30:00 AM More reviews by orangegoo

I'm almost done with my first compact. I love this because it never broke me out nor gave me those tiny white bumps. Gives a great, not too matte finish. Medium coverage, but can be layered. Works best when used with a damp skunk / duo fibre / stippling brush -- gives it an airbrushed look.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2008 11:14:00 AM More reviews by RCB123

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

After reading the reviews, I decided to try this. I admit I like powder foundation (used dry) because it is so fast, neat, and easy. The challenge I have found in other formulas is that many of them really can look 'powdery' on the skin which I certainly do not like. Avon's Mark Powder Buff was the worst offender as far as looking heavy or chalky. Max Facor's is pretty good but you don't get a lot of product and there is no seperate area for the sponge to sit. Mineral makeups just look too matte and 'heavy' no matter how many other people swear otherwise. Also, I have decided to avaoid using cosmetics from companies that continue to animals test (which MF does though Avon doesn't).

This product is excellent in so many ways. The compact has a separate compartment for the sponge applicator and there is a good amount of product. The cost is fair at about $10 US at Sally's (but I realize all cosmetic prices have gone up and I have paid much, much more for higher end foundations of lesser quality). The product does not look powdery on my skin. It covers very well yet looks incredibly natural (you cannot see the makeup on my skin). And, it LASTS. I have Tzone combo skin and this stays on all day (even through a workout) without a touchup. The color selection isn't very extensive, but I am fair ( wear 'Buff' in Colorstay) and the Laurel Nude is perfect. I hope that going a tad deeper in the summer won't be a challenge. The product appears finely milled, so it doesn't seem to be withering down in the pan too quickly.
Bonuses: no animal testing.
Minuses: unsure if there is any SPF and I wish the top of the compact had no writing on it because it would look more elegant (unfortunately I am a packaging snob).