November 24, 2014 | 2001 users online

Lip Treatments - Nivea - Lip Butter

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2013 10:42:00 AM More reviews by KelliaC

I'm on the fence about this lip butter. I dislike the packaging. I don't like the fact it comes in a pot, where the lid can be easily popped open in my bag. Plus I'm not a fan of sticking my fingers in a pot, which could accumulate bacteria and I'm putting that near my mouth. I have to disinfect or wash my hands every single time I use this, which is kind of annoying, because I wouldn't need to do this if it came in a stick. And once I've applied the product, I have to have a tissue handy to wipe off the excess, which isn't convenient if I'm in the car or somewhere where I don't have easy access to a tissue. Otherwise, it's a nice product. I love the Vanilla Macadamia nut lip butter, the consistency is nice, the smell is pleasant. This would be a winner if it came in stick and I will not be repurchasing this..

rated 2 of 5 on 3/31/2013 9:13:00 AM More reviews by beautytent

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I was really excited to try this product out cause i heard some many good reviews on it however sad to say i was disappointed :( . Pros : price is pretty cheap , smells great and the packaging is cute HOWEVER I'm always a bit scared that its gonna pop open in my makeup bag. Cons: not very moisturizing at all, it kinda just feels like it sits in the lips so it really did nothing for me at all so sadly i will not be repurchasing this product again BUT i will say if you don't really suffer from "all year round dry lips" this product will most likely work for you.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2013 12:29:00 AM More reviews by bailokaye

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Meh. Too slick and goopey.
Raspberry smells identical to niveas kiss of berry swirl lipbalm. Caramel has a sickening headache inducing quality to it. Tins are cute but the product is too goopey for a tin. Makes lips look white like the crud that collects in corners of mouth from applying too much balm or gloss. Way better less messy lip balms out there.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/29/2013 12:26:00 AM More reviews by Lisa527

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Bought this in Raspberry rose kiss. The product is a cotton candy pink and is absolutely adorable! Smells good, applies well, it does add a hint of pink on your lips, which I like, and not oily or shiny at all, which could be embarrassing.

I don't think it's as moisturizing as Vaseline, but again, love the package, the smell, and the finish look. So nothing to complain, nothing is perfect. I'd definitely recommend this to my fds!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2013 12:40:00 PM More reviews by kristina93

I have this in caramel cream and I love it. It smells amazing and feels so moisturising and creamy on the lips. I use it before I apply my makeup, to prep my lips, and at night when I go to bed. It leaves my lips feeling really soft and for the price I think it's a great product. I'd like to try the vanilla & macadamia flavour next :)

rated 2 of 5 on 3/21/2013 7:14:00 PM More reviews by Cynic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Being somewhat of a lip product addict, I was very excited to see that Nivea came out with a lip butter product comparable to some of the more premium brands' lip products. I picked up "Smooth Kiss" at my local pharmacy, which is the original unscented one because I'm a bit sensitive to fragrances.
The packaging, as others have said, is a very cute, traditional matte metal tin with a push-on lid which could potentially be very unsanitary if it was used with unwashed hands. The actual product has a nice texture that's very smooth and, well, buttery-feeling. On the lips, it feels a bit heavy and extremely moisturizing, even when applied thinly. I quite like a heavy-feeling lip moisturizer because in my experience, those are the ones which tend to be most effective. Unfortunately, I was sorely disappointed in this product.
Firstly, let me say that my lips are in extremely good condition as I exfoliate them gently but regularly, never go more than a few minutes without a good balm on and never sleep without a very moisturizing product on them, so imagine my surprise when, within three applications, my bottom lip had two deep, painful splits down the center and the skin was peeling. Truthfully, I'm not exactly sure what happened; I applied once in the morning, once that afternoon and once that evening and by the time I went to get ready for bed, my lips looked and felt horrible. The only thing I did differently at all was use this product. I'm thinking it's possible that since my lips weren't dehydrated, the extreme hydration of this product simply made them too moisturized and fragile, kind of like when you sit in the tub for too long and your skin becomes pruned, making it much more delicate. Luckily, I took it off immediately after I noticed the splitting, applied my favorite balm and by the next morning, my lips were nearly healed and are back to normal now, two days later.
Since I'm considering that my lips not being dehydrated caused the bad reaction, the next time my lips do become dehydrated, I'll try this product again and post an update.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/21/2013 12:10:00 PM More reviews by Jessibibo

Well,being in the UK the prices vary a little more, you can buy them in both Superdrug and Boots though and I assume any other pharmaceutical shop as well, for Nivea I have pretty high expectations and fortunately this lip butter has met and exceeded them.They weren't extremely pricey although just a tad for the size of the tin, but I would happily pay that much again for a product that works, the smell is epic there soft not overpowering at all but definitely there, I have the vanilla and macadamia nut one and my mum has the caramel both of which I love the smell of. the butter itself is smooth a tad thick but just right, you can feel there is a product there ( which I prefer), but it isn't too heavy or sticky at all and stays for a long time.The tin is easy to open especially with sweaty or wet hands unlike the Vaseline tins and nice and slim which, means I can just slip it into my tray at work happily. Over all I think it's a fab lip butter for winter but use it to prevent drying out and cracking, and not after it happens, just in case :)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2013 6:39:00 PM More reviews by hiiixox3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I know this product has been out in Europe for a lot longer than in the US. In the US, we just got it in stores. I've seen it in CVS, Target, Walgreens, and Rite Aid.
Nivea's lip butter is what I expected a lip butter to be (not like Revlon lip butters... to me those are not really... "buttery" for a lack of better words). Anyway, the product comes in a circular tin that looks like Burt's Bees hand salve or their cuticle cream. However, the tin is bigger than Burt's Bees. It's also a lot easier for some reason. I know a lot of people would cringe at the thought of having a lip balm that you have to dip your finger to take out and apply, but I know that is not a problem for others. Personally, I do not mind. I ended up purchasing Vanilla and Macadamia Kiss during a sale at one of the stores I mentions (I cannot remember which, to be honest). The smell is really comforting. It smells like actual vanilla (like... Breyer's vanilla bean ice cream rather than Bath and Body Work's warm vanilla sugar, if that helps with what I mean) and it does have a little nutty smell to add to the homeliness and comfort. I notice that the smell lasts maybe about a half hour or so. I know there is a caramel creme, raspberry rose, and original; however, I've only seen the raspberry rose and the vanilla. When you open the tin, it is a white milky color and it applies clear (at least... the vanilla does). It does feel a bit heavier on the lips (feel like there is product) and doesn't dissipate for a while... even after eating or drinking. Having this on my lips make them really soft. Once on the lips, it reminds me of their tube lip balms (the kiss of ______ lip balms). On the plus side, I haven't really felt it move or spread all over my mouth. I do not mind the heaviness of the lip balm; it is something I actually prefer. Also, there is no taste to the lip balm.
The prices varies for different stores. I've seen it anywhere from $2.99 to $3.79. I think that's a bit pricey for lip balms. However, there the same price as the tube lip balms (if they're a different price, it's maybe $0.10 different... but I have seen them marked as the same price). The tubes contain 0.17 oz or 4.8 g. These tins contain 0.59 oz or 16.7 g! They're about triple and half in product! I think that the tins are definitely the better deal (although, the tubes do have more variations and are more handier to carry around). Also, Nivea lip balms go on sale frequently where there are buy one get one or 2/$5.00. I definitely think they are worth the sale prices. If you are interested, keep an eye out! If you don't mind dipping your finger into the tin to achieve soft lips, I say go for it!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2013 5:03:00 PM More reviews by NicoleRay719

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!! I use a lip scrub then slather this stuff on before bed. It stays on ALL NIGHT and when I wake up, I have the softest lips I've had since I was born. I swear it. And it comes in favors! Hooray! Love love love this stuff. A bit pricey for lip balm (let's be honest) but hey it works! And it lasts a long time. And the tin is tiny and can go anywhere with you!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/17/2013 12:43:00 AM More reviews by 247swimchick9

I purchased the Raspberry Rose and the Vanilla Macadamia nut lip butters. Let's start off with, the smell--THEY SMELL AMAZING! Im a total sucker for scents, and these smell fantastic, especially the Raspberry Rose (I like fruity/floral scents slightly more), I do wish however that Nivea made their lip butters have a taste that matched the scent--that would have been even better! these actually don't taste like anything, which could be a pro or a con, depending on what you like. As for my lips, I felt these lip butters were pretty standard. My lips can get pretty chapped, ad when they get chapped they sometimes will need HEAVY DUTY, this isn't heavy duty enough for those types of days, but when my lips are normal (not peeling, etc.) then this product is pretty nice.