September 30, 2014 | 1349 users online

BB Cream - Smashbox - Camera Ready BB Cream SPF 35

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2012 3:53:00 PM More reviews by ShawP

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

I can't attest to the skin-perfecting benefits since I just started using it, but I'm really enjoying it. I have oily, acneic skin that really gives me the bizness in the summer with increased oiliness and breakouts. I have to step up my skincare for sure, yet the last thing I want to do in the sweltering summer heat is put on more makeup. So, my curiosity with BB creams began. It has been said that the Asian BB creams are superior for their skin-perfecting benefits, but I have yet to find one online that is recommended for darker skintones. They rarely, if ever, come in anything other than fair shades. So, for now, the US versions will have to suffice.

I like Smashbox's version because for a whole entire face, I use a little less than pea size. It looks like a full-coverage job because my spots are almost completely concealed! I use the color dark (MAC NC45/Revlon Caramel) and it blends into my skin perfectly. Moreover, this BB cream is definitely for oilier skins because it absorbs oil unlike anything else I've tried that is supposedly geared for oily skin. My skin looks perfect after 5 hours without 1 blot, and that is not normally my life.

My process: With my pea size amount, I dot my forehead, chin and both cheeks, and apply with my fingers in a smoothing fashion. At this point, I waste about 5 minutes admiring how evened out my complexion looks. Next, I may or may not apply undereye concealer. Lastly, I dust on BareMinerals Tinted Mineral Veil. Or, when I want more coverage, I will apply a light layer of foundation over it, then the mineral veil. Wow, it still looks like skin!

I hope to update with how it has improved my skin with hopefully nothing negative to say because I am pleased thus far. The price prevented me from buying sooner though because for $38, all you get is 1 oz. However, it seems like it's going to last a long time since I use so little.

UPDATE: This is now going to be a permanent part of my makeup routine because it is so versatile. I can use it alone after my skincare with just a light dust of powder to set. Or, I can use it as a primer underneath a full coverage foundation job. I didn't expect it to benefit my skin, since the USA versions are known to be just tinted moisturizers. However, my skin does improve with use. How you may ask? The sunscreen allows any areas of hyperpigmentation to tone and clear faster. I'm really glad I took the plunge. By the way, I am still using the same tube since I first wrote this review a year later.

20 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2012 1:40:00 PM More reviews by teresaantonia

In about a month this BB cream has become my holy grail face product. It has replaced my Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua and is a great subsitute for foundation in the summer. I used to sometimes use the Garnier BB cream before that (and I quite liked it), but compared to this, that one's a shiny greasy mess.
This product has great coverage, SPF 35 and isn't greasy at all. It somehow manages to give my skin a nice glow as well as mattifying my T-zone. I haven't noticed any major improvements with my skin, but I didn't expect it to do that. It just feels so much nicer, lighter on my skin than a foundation. You don't notice that you're wearing anything and that's what I love about it.
It lasts well (also in hot weather) and even if I'm not wearing any makeup, I always (...well not always, but most of the time) put this on. After putting this on, I set it with my UD all nighter setting spray. I'm not a huge fan of the spray, but it seems to work really well with the BB cream. A little of this goes a long way and I like to warm it up on the back of my hand before putting it on. That way it blends into the skin like a dream.
It is kind of pricey (~32€), but in my opinion totally worth it!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/7/2012 5:30:00 PM More reviews by Laurendall

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am a. IV tinted moisturizer person and liked the benefits a bb cream seems to offer. Unfortunately this was thick, gloopy and provided a chalky, powdery finish.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/6/2012 1:56:00 PM More reviews by dustgirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm coming to the realization that BB creams are overhyped. This is no better than many TMs out there, much worse than my fave Laura Mercier. The Light was a good match for my pale skin, but difficult to apply and not have it look fake. Very matte and powdery finish - it feels like it's just sitting on top of my skin and looks it too. Way over priced for the amount you get, and no extra "BB" benefits after using it a few months. Would not rebuy.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/3/2012 9:47:00 PM More reviews by spfxchic

I really do like this BB Cream! I have dry skin and have been on the hunt for a foundation that works for me for years (half the fun is trying new things, though my wallet disagrees). I've stopped the search, as this (in conjuction with other products) does the trick! I like that there is not much of an odor to the product. The packaging is great, love the squeeze tube - saves on wasted product and doesn't get contaminated. The retail price isn't any worse than other BB Creams I've seen.

I am a MAC NW20 in the winter/spring, and get minimally darker in the summer and the Medium/Light Shade matches well.

I do use the Smashbox Hydrating Primer under the BB Cream and the Halo powder to finish.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2012 1:59:00 PM More reviews by sc2944

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I love this BB cream. It makes my routine much, much easier when leaving the house and it makes my skin feel smooth and soft. It lasts all day long without melting off of my face, and for people like me with sensitive skin, it's definitely a keeper.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/27/2012 9:46:00 PM More reviews by ilovestuff

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Let me start by saying that I have fair skin with pinker areas and really started to use BB creams to even that out and give coverage, spf and to even tone.

I found this to be expensive for the amount of the BB cream compared to others. It has the texture and coverage of a tinted moisturizer and whether I applied it with a brush or my fingers, I found it to be streaky. After wearing for a couple of hours, it got patchy and definitely did not last all day. Unfortunately it was very obvious that I was wearing this product as it came off in some spots with just normal wear (not even sweating or in the heat or anything).

Overall, I was disappointed with this product. It's nowhere near as much coverage or staying power as the Hot Pink Triple Function Skin79 BB.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2012 9:38:00 PM More reviews by songy67

I'm an NC15 and I mix together "Fair" and "Light" to get the perfect color match. (Fair on its own is too pink and too pale, Light is too yellow and too dark). What sold me on this product was how incredibly well it controls oil. I have combo skin with a very oily t-zone, and live in South Florida where the summer humidity turns me into a porous-looking greaseball by lunchtime. Imagine my surprise when, after testing out a sample of this, I looked in the mirror at 3pm in the afternoon and saw that my skin was dewy, radiant, and soft-looking and I hadn't even blotted or touched up! I'm also unfortunately acne-prone, but this does not break me out at all!

The only negative I can point to is that it can look thick and cakey if not applied correctly and blended in well, or if you over-powder. Adding too much powder on top is a bad move because it dries to a fairly matte finish. Other than that, I am really impressed by this product and find it so convenient and effective. It's what I reach for when I am in a rush since this lets me skip moisturizer + sunblock and still feel pretty good about myself. The coverage is light/ medium at most but it does a great job of cancelling out redness and evening out my skintone. I just go in with some concealer afterward for any scars or spots that still show through.

I also like the packaging, which is a sleek, hygienic squeeze tube. I only wish they would come out with more shade selections since this is quite pricey and I'm not thrilled that I have to buy two just to get the right shade. Overall, I've tried other BB creams before and this definitely comes out on top as one of the better ones.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/20/2012 8:28:00 PM More reviews by JThunder

I have never been a foundation fan, but BB creams sounded up my (makeup) alley. I chose this one because I have friends who are vehement Smashbox fans. Also, I had store points to redeem, so it was kind of free. I dont know if i would have spent $50 on this otherwise. Initial findings during application: light, blendable, smooth coverage. My shade is light and it matched my pale Canadian skin well. It dried quickly and felt nice, not drying or makeup-y. I wore it today in sweltering "I didn't know it gets that hot in Canada" humid weather. It didn't budge. I was complimented on my makeup in the afternoon, hours after application. Now, I have used a few cheapo tinted moisturizers (Cover Girl) and this was way nicer. I have no experience with more expensive tinted moisturizers (like Laura Mercier), so I can't compare it to that. But I am happy with this, and will spend my points on it next time. The $50 is hard to swallow, though.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2012 7:45:00 AM More reviews by MakeupFairyxo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I LOOVE this BB cream!! I've used liquid foundation, powder foundation, mineral foundation, and tinted moisturizer and while those were all great none of them were as quick and easy as this one. Especially now that it's getting into summer I don't want to spend too long getting ready in the morning or feel/look like I'm caking on so much makeup. With this you get the moisture, protection, and coverage all in one! So I don't need to spend time moisturizing or using sunscreen first- just quickly apply this with my fingers and it results in a great non-streaky application. This lasts pretty well throughout the day as well. I do find that I have to blot throughout the day though but I'm fine with that. Yes, it is pricy but totally worth it and you get what you pay for, right?