October 31, 2014 | 1403 users online

Eyeliner - Essence - Gel Eyeliner

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/13/2012 12:24:00 AM More reviews by Iammelody

Since being on a low budget, I've had to search for an alternative to my mac blacktrack fluidline. Since I found this (midnight in paris), I don`t think i`ll be buying the one from mac again. $3.99 for a product that is EXACTLY the same? I don't see a need to go back to it.
To me, its identical in all the positive ways. On top of it, I find it glides on smoother, and its a tad more opaque, meaning I don't have to go over certain parts a 2nd time. There is absolutely no fading, even over 12 hours later.
Too bad I couldn't try this first!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2012 12:23:00 AM More reviews by thathoneydip

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I purchased this product a few days ago at Ulta for less than $4.00 because of the great reviews on here. Ive read just about all 58 reviews.. im a gel/cream liner fanatic. And once i saw the ratings and reviews, i knew i had to go grab me one. Especially since its under $5 ! Ive used too many gel/cream liners to count, ive had my share. And i always want to try something new, you know, switch it up a bit. Ive tried fluidline, sonia kashuk, estee lauder, clinique, wet n wild, L'oreal , physicians formula, maybelline, ect.. (estee lauder being my HG eyeliner but i like to rotate all of the few i have open so they dont dry ) But this.. This eyeliner may be the eyeliner of all liners to make me actually remain faithful to for many reasons :

i bought this in Midnight in Paris, which is a dark matted black. It is very pigmented and rich in color, and best of all, its actually black.. a pure black. Black Black.

Its texture is super creamy and applies unbelievably smooth.. like half way melted butter.

It's staying power is amazing. Ive tried alot of high end liners, and this compares to most if not all of them. I, however, do not have oily lids, so i never really have any issues with gel/cream liners transferring anywhere. But ive had some eyeliners flake off and/or fade on me over time.. and this baby is not one of them! Ive put this on before i go to work (8am) and came home, and went back out (without touching up) to come back home (sometimes midnight or later) to an eyeliner that looks as if i had just applied it! Can you believe that?! All without a primer.

No Fading
No Flaking
No Smudging

The packaging is nothing really to complain about. For Less than $4? Its actually pretty good compared to alot of different gel/cream liners. It ACTUALLY screws on tight. So the product doesnt dry up as quickly like other Lower cost brands .. * cough cough WetnWild cough cough * The product comes in a little glass jar with a black plastic lid that screws on pretty tightly. Inside this jar is 3g of product ( same as MAC's Fluidline and Estee lauders Stay-In-Place gel liner ) I mainly put gel liners on my top lid and wing it out (so i end up using quite a bit of liner ) , but ive also put this on my waterline and its stayed put perfectly fine.

Estee lauder was my HG eyeliner that i would go to every time i know i needed a liner that would stay in place without me worrying about it moving , fading, or flaking off. Not to mention the fact that the product stayed creamy for almost 7 or 8 months now. HOWEVER, my HG eyeliner is like almost $22! My biggest problem with gel/cream liner is the product drying up before i even get to finish it. So far estee lauder's , MAC's , and clinique's have managed to stay creamy until i finished it.. unfortunately they've all drilled holes in my pockets. ( They eventually add up ) So if this Lower cost eyeliner can manage to stay creamy until i am able to finish it then i think ive found myself a new HG eyeliner! Few days in, and all is well. im going to keep my fingers crossed, and if anything changes.. if i see the SLIGHTEST sign of it even pulling away from the sides, ill let you all know. :) im definitely going to buy more backups though.

WARNINGG!! make sure you open your product before you buy.. or you may end up going home with a product imprinted with someones grubby fingers :)

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/8/2012 11:45:00 PM More reviews by pinkpastels

i adore this eyeliner, i use it with my sonia kashuk bent eyeliner brush and my eyes look amazing. it doesnt budge at all,no little black marks above my crease or anything! ive had my pot for months now and its still good and i have a lot left still! the price is amazing, my HG gel eyeliner!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/8/2012 10:31:00 AM More reviews by ShikaSmiles

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This works much better than the maybelline gel liner. I like that it's long lasting but it dries very quick, so it's difficult to smudge if you want a smokey look. It's very pigmented and the brush you buy to go with it is very nice even though it too is cheap. I don't think you need an expensive gel eyeliner since this one is really good.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/4/2012 10:36:00 PM More reviews by lauran333

this gel liner i was so exited to get cause i wanted it to work and it was only 6 dollars. i put this on my waterline and lashline and it did nothing but smudge and run all the way down to my cheeks.
pros:
very intense back colour
easy glide on
dries quickly

cons:
smudges
feels uncomfortable when it dries
vert hard to get off
hard to draw with

over all i hate this eyeliner. it smudges and its hard to take off and ugh yuck i hate it and i will not buy this ever again

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2012 1:02:00 AM More reviews by lovelylaura25

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I never need to buy another black liquid liner EVER AGAIN. This stuff is truly amazing. I've tried other gel liners in the past and they would always smudge after a few hours. This product does not budge and looks *perfect* until I take it off, which is sometimes 18 hours later. It is so easy to work with too. I get a perfect wing each and every time. Plus, the intensity of the black pigment is so freakin' gorgeous. Honestly, complete strangers have been asking me what I use as liner. LOVE LOVE LOVE this stuff.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2012 6:35:00 AM More reviews by skwerlie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've only tried London Baby so far- it's a beautiful deep taupe shade with a shimmer finish. I actually prefer a slightly drier gel liner- I find that this one is a little too soft and fluid and can require some building up (obviously this is a personal preference and this texture is probably more appealing to most)! Although it's not my favourite liner texture, it makes this work very well as a cream shadow/eyeshadow base- it sheers out easily and I love it for a soft smokey look! It smudges easily when first applied but sets well after a few seconds and is crease-resistant once dry. As a liner it gives a beautiful softer look that I think would flatter most eye colours. Because the texture is very soft and glidey, it's easy to get a crisp edge to your lines (though I find I need to go over a second time to get solid payoff). I'd definitely give the other shades a try as they're very reasonably priced, but London Baby was the one that caught my eye most right off the bat.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2012 7:17:00 PM More reviews by majapapaya

Was going to buy a Bobbi Brown or Mac Gel eyeliner, but saw this at Shoppers Drug Mart (Canada) for $3.99 and thought.... hey - made in Italy - why not give it a go first! WELLLLLLL ..... I am seriously impressed! Beautiful creamy, soft, easy to apply texture and dries quick enough and then stays put ALL day long even under not ideal conditions! Easy to remove with a remover (I use the thick Nivea creme in the blue tub to remove eye makeup). I bought the (01) Midnight in Paris colour and it is a perfect black - makes my blue eyes pop! I use the MAC 210 brush to apply it which also is a great brush and works perfectly with this product! Doesn't irritate my eyes at all. In my opinion this is a MUCH nicer product than the Maybelline Gel liner which I found a touch on the dry side after a few uses, and not as easy to apply. (I ended up throwing it out!) Also the colour was not as pigmented and "true" somehow. This is my new HG gel liner for sure - I can't wait to try out the other colours!!! At this price you can't go wrong, just make sure you have a good brush to apply it with.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2012 3:32:00 PM More reviews by Marianthoula

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

EDIT 22/06/2012: I just added 2 photos of swatches of my Essence gel liners and MAC's B;acktrack.
On one picture you can see them swatched and even though I use pretty much the same amount, the Essence black (Midnight in Paris) is so much stronger.
On the other photo you can see how MAC's has faded more after 1 pass of cleanser. What's not to love?!?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently bought them, and so far I am thrilled!

A few weeks back, I decided to join the gel-liner bandwagon. So I asked a friend to get me MAC's Fluidline in Blacktrack. With her credit, I paid about 12 Euro (from 18). One week later I found out about Essence and I lament my 12 Euro... These babies are as good as (I may later change that to "better than") fluidlne. And at 3.79 Euro, I bought all I could find, in all their intense glory:
- Midnight in Paris: Blackest black of the darkest night. And then a little more black!
- London baby: Is it brown? Is it dark taupe? The sparkles are lovely in the pot but I do not see them in my eye. So sweet and intense!
- Miami's ink: Steel beauty! I am not sure how to wear it but I'll figure it out.

They are so soft and creamy and perfectly user-friendly. They apply smoothly and they dry very quickly. I know everyone said this but let me say it one more time: these babies are mean! Seriously, they just won't budge. I put them on and they STAY on. My hours are usualy 8 and I see no fade, smudge, flake, crease, nothing until I take them off. That is, until I work hard to take them off. OK seriously, I do not scrub and rub, but I do need nore time to let the eye mu remover soak through and take it off.
I cannot detect any sort of smell, just a normal product smell. Also they do not irritate my eyes.

Rave over, let's see what I cannot comment on:
- I have not yet tried them in my waterline so I do not know how they behave.
- I have not try to smudge the line, so I do not know if they dry too fast for that.
- I have them for a little less than a month so I do not know how they will behave on the drying-in-the-pot issue.

Some sidenotes:
- I apply them with their Essence eyeliner brushes. They are so cheap that I bought 3 - one for each pot. If I find more colours then I'll buy more brushes. For 1,99 I like to have each separate brush. I am still new to the liner thing, so any mistakes I make I am sure is due to my lack of skill. The brush is very convenient and cleans easily under water.
- I usually wear TFSI and then eyeshadow and then liner. So most of my experience with these babies is based on TFSI. However, I did not notice anything different the few times I did not use a primer.

Will I buy again? I'll JUMP on them if I ever see any new colours or if I ever finish them up.

(PS: I am taking mu classes and I practice a lot of different looks, just make them and take them off, make them-take them off. I now use up MAC's fluidline for practice and keep my Essence gems for serious makeup. What does that tell you?)

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2012 10:26:00 PM More reviews by amnahp12

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

edit: lol well aren't I an idiot, the three shimmery shades I review below are actually eyeshadows. WELL. :D I'll leave it here out of laziness ...errr helpfulness.

WELL! Aren't these little gems? I was looking for them at Shopper's Drug Mart [Canada] after reading all the great reviews, and I only found a couple. As in, I only found London Baby and Miami Ink, in this line. But lo and behold, there was another line of Essence gel eyeliners there that nobody seem to have mentioned - these have a plastic package [yuck] with a rounded top [yuck] that feels really cheap, and I think they're called 'stay all day' or something like that. The difference is that these are SUPER CRAZY SHIMMER. I got them in 'glammy goes to' [a champagne], coppy right [copper/bronze] and stars something or other, a silver.

Miami Ink looks to me, straight and simple, like a dark sheeny gunmetal gray. Nothing more interesting color wise. London baby I liked. It didn't really look like a 'brown' liner in the typical sense; it is a VERY dark, muddy brown, but it has red and purple shimmers/glitters in it. Very pretty and interesting. These two, once applied, do not budge. It took serious scrubbing to get them off, even though I was removing with coconut oil.

As for the other three: pigmentation is not nearly as good. Because they are so shimmery, the formulation is quite different. More care is needed in applying these, because you need globs to get it opaque. They don't feel creamy going on, per se -- or rather, creamy in a siliconey sense, kind of like it's going to fall right off [which it did, off my brush]. So very moldable, in a dry way. Weird.

ALL of them are super creamy to the touch. I kept making huge dents in my pot even though I'm used to just BARELY touching my brush to the surface [Maybelline] from underestimating the creaminess. That being said, the ones I have reviewed are not as pigmented as, for instance, Maybelline, so you will need considerably more to get an opaque line.

Overall, amazing find for 4 bucks. Reading down these reviews, I am surprised at the different prices listed at SDM within a few days? Weird. I just wish they had other colors! The ones I was looking most forward to were black and purple. I will have to check again.