Garnier Moisture Rescue Refreshing Gel-Cream

3.8

Aqua/Water, Glycerin, Alcohol Denat., Dimethicone, Isononyl Isononanoate, Carbomer, Dimethiconol, Chlorphenesin, Caprylyl Glycol, Sodium Hydroxide, Vitis Vinifera Extract/Grapefruit Extract, Xanthan Gum, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Menthoxypropanediol, Magnesium Gluconate, Sodium Citrate, Benzyl Salicylate, Linalool, Calcium Gluconate, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, CI 19140/Yellow 5, CI 42090/Blue 1, Parfum/Fragrance, Phenoxyethanol. [September 2010]

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I've found a great moisturizer for the summer, hallelujah. I love this little jar of skin-drink! It's refreshing, it smells wonderful without being irritating via the fragrance, and it's a great before-makeup moisturizer - it acts as a good primer to keep foundation looking fresh. I use this every time I wash my face, afterwards, and it's a treat for my skin each and every time. I love the way this stuff feels. It's not breaking me out, it's not making my skin-tone muddy like some moisturizers do, it's just perfect for right now. (May need something more heavy duty in the winter, but for now, it's fantastic.) Love this in conjunction with MAC's Moisture Cream, too, fabulous. Will continue to repurchase.

on 4/17/2012 4:34:00 AM

i wantedd to try a gel moisturizer because im currently using ponds cold cream as a cleanser . and i needed something lightweight to use after ponds. this is a great combination for me . sinks in instantly . and you only need jus a little bit of it. it hasnt clogged my pore or cause acne.great under makeup . feels refreshing cooling and smeels good. probably wouldnt use if i wasnt using ponds since i have dryer skin . the only thing that bothers me is it seems after putting on the moisturizer it leaves a shine on my forhead and cheekbones? overall great

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I gave this product about a week before writing a review. My HG moisturizer is olay's active hydrating cream. I wanted to try something new so I opted for this moisturizer. Feels cool to the touch and formula is almost runny and gel-like. When i apply to my skin, it automatically sinks to my skin and it does have a light, cooling sensation. My skin doesn't feel as moisturized if I were to compare it to my HG moisturizer. Packaging is a glass jar and this product made me break out! At the time i was trying out a new tinted moisturizer so I assumed it was that and stopped using it and continued with this product. I was still breaking out. I went out to purchase another bottle of my olay cream and i Def would not repurchase this moisturizer.

on 4/11/2012 6:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Hmm I'm kind of torn with this moisturizer. I guess its because its so hyped here that I needed a reason to justify purchasing it; although I have already found my HG. I grabbed it on a BOGO to experiment & the first thing I noticed is: it has a heavy strong alcohol scent, but dries instantly like vaporized alcohol too. I like the cooling feel, but that doesn't last long, nor does it leave my skin supple/soft. I find myself applying more than my favorite Merlot grape seed moisturizer to achieve that. Which BTW has + spf 15 & way more good for you antioxidants & is a better buy overall. It retails for $15 for 4.5 oz. This Garnier is about $9 for 1.7 oz. If your wondering, Merlot dries as quickly as Garnier too. So I guess I answered my own query, I won't be repurchasing this.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This is the only face gel that I have used that I actually can stand to have on my face. I love the squeaky clean feel on my face and hate the greasy, lotion feel. This really sinks in quickly and makes my face feel refreshed and clean. I wear this at night and under my makeup. It is a great face primer! I don't like the packaging though, unsanitary because you have to dip your finger into it. I will repurchase because it does no break my sensitive face out!

on 4/4/2012 10:05:00 PM

Really disappointed in this gel cream. I found it didn't help my skin at all and so i checked out the ingredients (which I should have done before purchasing) and alcohol is the 3rd ingredient, no wonder it didn't help my skin. I wish Garner would stop using alcohol in so many of their products.

on 4/3/2012 11:04:00 PM

I was really looking forward to using this product. I cannot use creams and lotions because I get milia very easily, so I try to use gel formulas. I still need moisture, however, so I chose this after a search for a face gel at the drugstore, rather than traveling to a department store (which might not carry gel I need, since they are more popular in Asia, plus would be more expensive for a product I use often) or ordering online.

It's only 7 USD at the supermarket, plus you can usually find a coupon, so I only spent about 5 USD. It also comes in some nice drugstore packaging: a very chic glass jar and clean white top which shows off the pretty apple-green gel. It looks very nice on your bathroom counter. Like I said, it's a jar, which some people don't like because you have to use your fingers, but I have never minded that. I didn't notice the smell so much. It was probably a very slight chemically scent, which I actually like for cosmetics products. It definitely wasn't acrid or offensive.

All of this only made it all the more disappointing when it came to actually using the product. I wish it had SPF, but I knew that when I bought it. Garnier has this product as part of the line and another product has the SPF, but that's in lotion form. I wished they didn't separate them like that. I first used it in the morning. I know my skin can be sensitive, but I wasn't expecting this light gel to sting me. Wasn't so painful as to need to wash it off, but it was more than I was used to after exfoliating and it lasted for two minutes. Not the soothing feeling I associated with gel. Now I don't think anyone wants a greasy feeling after applying facial moisturizer, but usually afterwards is when your skin is the most hydrated and supple. After I applied this, my skin had felt no more moist which was unfortunate because I had a few dry patches around my mouth and I was looking for some immediate relief. Then throughout the day my skin got an unusual ,slightly dry texture and dry patches on my cheek where I usually don't get them. I don't know if it actually dried out my skin, because my skin doesn't normally get so dry, or just failed to moisturize and keep in the moisture, which is what is says it does on the box. Either way, combined with the stinging, it didn't do it's purpose.

on 4/1/2012 7:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I like this moisturizer. It's definitely more of a gel than a cream, and definitely better suited to oily skinned folks like myself. I tried this when it first came out and gave up on it because it seemed irritating. I really loved the texture so I thought I would give it another try and purchased it again recently. For whatever reason my skin is tolerating it fine this time around. This product is very lightweight. I find it just hydrating enough for me. For dry or even normal skin, this may not be enough moisture. It feels cool and refreshing, very nice during warm weather. This has a pretty strong, cucumber sort of fragrance which I don't mind. I like the glass jar packaging, very luxe for a drugstore item, and at around $6 it's very affordable. I would probably avoid this if you have sensitive skin due to the strong fragrance and the high alcohol content, but I would recommend to others looking for a simple, lightweight moisturizer.

on 4/1/2012 6:07:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I bought this after watching a tutorial on youtube for MAC Pro Longwear. In the video, the lady (wish I could remember her name to give her credit) recommended using a water-based moisturizer (she specifically suggested this exact one) in order to make the foundation really last and stay put. It made sense to me, so I went out and bought it. Unfortunately the MAC Pro Longwear didn't work for me but I've been using this moisturizer with other foundations - including long-wearing ones - and it works wonderfully! It feels so light and refreshing on the skin and really does prevent me from getting an oilyish t-zone throughout the day. It gives me longer and more shine-free wear with all of my foundations. I also highly recommend using it under a tinted moisturizer! The only downside is that it doesn't have any SPF in it, but the lotion version does and is 99.9% oil-free. I think I'll pick that one up as well. For reference I have normal/dry or sometimes normal/combination skin. ETA: I have stopped using this because I think it may have been breaking me out/causing irritation, mostly likely due to the high alcohol content (which I didn't realize it had until I read other reviews on it - I guess that's what I get for not reading ingredient labels). ETA Part II: I've determined that this *wasn't* the cause of my reactions. I stopped using the long-wearing foundations I had been using at the same times I would have the reactions, and it's been working perfectly fine. I actuall really love this. It somehow keep my skin perfectly balanced - no dry patches, flakes, or greasy areas. Really helps my foundation and makeup in general stay on longer because my face doesn't feel greasy before I get my m/u on. Will definitely repurchase.

on 3/19/2012 8:36:00 PM

This used to be my HG moisturizer for 2 years until I checked it out on beautypedia.com and read how awful it is for your skin. Ladies, be careful!

Popular Moisturizers