October 21, 2014 | 2044 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Healthy Look Creme Gloss Color

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2010 12:20:00 PM More reviews by pmburk

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Let me start off by saying that I have coarse, thick, dry wavy hair that is heat styled daily. I am a natural redhead but color to cover greys and revitalize my color, plus I like to go darker in the fall and winter. I usually use light auburn Garnier Nutrisse or L'Oreal Excellence. Due to the condition of my hair and my desire to lessen the damage (and the fact that I like to color often), I love the idea of a color that isn't as harsh as a permanent. I can't find L'Oreal Colorspa anywhere and the red range wasn't good anyway, and Natural Instincts only available red that isn't burgundy is Spiced Tea, which is WAY too orange for me and then fades crappy.

I picked up Healthy Look yesterday at Walgreen's for $9.99 with a $2 coupon. I debated between this and Garnier Herbashine, but glad I went with Healthy Look instead. I ended up getting 6R light auburn brown (spiced praline or something) as it was the only available light reddish shade. I was very nervous about this, I tend to avoid anything remotely labeled "brown" as it always grabs super dark or turns burgundy, but I figured I'd try it out. Immediately before coloring I did an Aphogee protein treatment, then applied the color after my hair had been pretty thoroughly towel-dried. Even though the instructions say to use it on completely dry hair, mine was damp. Oh well. The color didn't smell bad or anything, it was a bit runny though so be warned to watch for drips - this could also be due to the dampness of my hair, though. Left it on 10 minutes, rinsed, and conditioned. I skipped their conditioner and used an Ion Extreme Moisture Nurturing Cream deep conditioner packet that I left on for several minutes. After coloring and before conditioning, my hair felt very coarse. After conditioning it was fine. Overall I am very happy with the color. My hair is a light brown with a LOT of vibrant red in it, slightly darker and redder than the box, but not by much. It is only a touch darker than I'd normally go, and I'm sure it will lighten up after a few washes. I agree this line runs lighter than every other color line out there. Normally anything with "brown" in the name, my hair grabs the color and turns practically black or goth burgundy, but not with this - so that is pretty impressive. Also, my greys are completely covered and - wonder of wonders - no roots! This is the first temp color I've used that actually made my roots and the ends the same color. The coverage on this is very good, moreso than any other non-permanent colors I have tried in the past.

Bottom line - the color is nice and pretty true to the box, the overall coverage results are much better than most other non-permanent colors out there, and I am all for anything that is less damaging than permanent color. I like this color and will definitely repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2010 9:27:00 AM More reviews by Tina68

Iíve been a happy and faithful user of Colour Spa for more than 10 years, so Iím more than a little unhappy LíOreal discontinued it. I called LíOreal to voice my annoyance over this and in an effort, I guess, to appease me they sent me a gift certificate to try Healthy Look, Colour Spaís replacement, on them. I bought it in #4 Dark Chocolate. Though the box says the processing time is 10 minutes, experience with Colour Spa has taught me to go a little longer if I want the white hair to be covered. I left the dye on for 18 minutes.

The instructions for Healthy Look are easy to follow and mixing the colour is fast and easy. I also watched the tutorial they have on LíOrealís website on applying Healthy Look. It was interesting, but I have to say, I do not look like the model when colouring my hair. AnywayÖ.I digress. The after-colour conditioner is more than a generous size. Itís recommended to use once a week to keep the colour and shine at its best. Healthy Look goes on dry hair which I donít have an issue with as Iíve always applied hair colour to my hair dry. I should add here that my hair is almost to my shoulders and is thick and coarse. One box did me just fine. After applying the entire colour I massaged it in making sure to get to the roots so the white hair would get covered. The colour is gel-like and I had no issues with it running down the side of my face or neck. Stained parts of my skin were easily cleaned off in the shower with a little bit of scrubbing. I washed it off in the shower and the colour came out easily enough. All in all my hair looks pretty good. Itís shiny, the colour is even and my hair is soft and doesnít feel like itís been processed. But then, my hair was all of these things before I used Healthy Look. It does have a stronger smell to it then Colour Spa Ė a little similar too Ė but it wasnít anything that made my eyes water or made me want to pass out. The kicker for me is this: not all my white hair got covered even though I took extra care to make sure they were covered in the colour. Also, today is Thursday, I coloured 5 days ago and my whites are visible (not to anyone else, but I can see them). So, either this isnít very good at covering white hair or I may need to leave it on longer next time. Yes, there will be a next time. I will have another kick at the can and leave it on longer to see if that makes a difference covering white hairs. If not, then I guess Iíll try Natural Instincts as Iíve noticed they have expanded their colour selection.

Overall, my experience with Healthy Look has been positive. Whether I become a faithful user, well, I donít know yet.

Update as of 22 March: Used this colour again. Left it on for 30 minutes. The colour is vibrant and shiny. My greys, however, are not completely coloured and the colour washes out easily even though I waited 24 hours before shampooing. Will not repurchase unless I'm absolutely desperate.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2010 1:39:00 AM More reviews by nieblagv

I just tried #4 Dark Chocolate and I loved it. My natural hair color is dark brown with a few gray hairs and I usually try ash or neutral tones to prevent brassiness. I am also very hesitant about dying my hair at home (for some reason, my hair always turns reddish if I use store-bought hair color). However, this product met all my expectations; my hair is very shiny and soft and the color matches my natural hair color without any reddish or orange tones that I usually get from other store-bought dyes. The color looks very even and they grays are covered. The smell is strong but pleasant. One thing I do recommend is that you use a bowl and brush instead of the bottle since you can get every drop of the dye on your hair; I have a lot of hair, below the shoulders and this way I was able to cover all of it without having to buy another box.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/12/2010 10:03:00 AM More reviews by baubet

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

So this is my second time using this product. Once again my hair is very shiny after the coloring, but the color I chose 5CB is way too dark. Think dark copper brown. I guess I should have known better since demis seem to do this. I wish someone could devise a haircolor that would actually match the description. Hopefully it will lighten quite a bit in the next few washes.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/3/2010 9:47:00 PM More reviews by Fresha

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

Oooh! A new Level 2 hair color. I had to try it. I bought this in 5CB Chestnut Brown, a sort of reddish medium brown. This color, unlike most semi-permanent colors is applied to dry hair. The texture is very dry and almost chalky after I applied it to my hair. I don't know how I feel about that, I guess I'm just neutral on the texture. The smell is like any other level 2, and my hair doesn't feel any softer than usual.
My hair is naturally very dark brown at the roots, so I expected darker results. About 3 inches out my hair is very slightly lighter where my stylist lightened my hair a few months ago, and then I used a med/dark permanent brown dye over it to blend the roots. My hair is far from virgin, and I am quite experienced at coloring it myself. I hoped that this new color would brighten my roots and blend them in to my ends. Well it didn't really do that. My roots are still the same color with a slight red tone, and the rest of my hair is A LOT darker than it was before. The color is far from what is on the box. Usually semi-permanent colors will lighten my roots a bit. This didn't. I suppose if I wanted to go black or very dark brown this color would work.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2010 5:26:00 PM More reviews by ltgee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Dyed my hair last night. I had my hair henna'd with indigo and it was black black black (i am asian with naturally medium dark brown hair). So i had my gf give me highlights to break up the dark. Well my highlights were just too dirty blond looking so i bought a box of #5 Medium Brown to tone it down. It completely covered my highlights and thats totally fine with me because this is a semi and it will fade with each shampoo. It looks FANTASTIC and makes me mad that i spend so much money at the salons! It left my hair super soft and crazy shiny and my bf lovessss it. There is no brassiness or going green (i stay away from "ash" when i have blond highlights). I love that it is Ammonia free. The texture is slightly runny for me but i just made sure i was super careful. No staining. My usual go to was Natural Match (heart!) but CVS pulled it from their shelves! :( This Healthy Look line seems to run lighter than the usual dyes. I love it and will repurchase other browns in the future :) $9.99 at CVS. The gloves are flimsy btw...oh and i agree with the other user that said its hard to get in when the hair is dry. I have one blond streak leftover but its underneath so i dont mind...

rated 1 of 5 on 2/3/2010 3:22:00 AM More reviews by 5damons

I was a very happy user of discontinued Colorspa Moisture Actif in #36 Mocha (light brown) for about 10 years, and hoping for a replacement, I tried this product in 6-Light Brown. Sadly, I'll keep looking. The product turns to a very thick, paste-like consistency after application which makes it difficult to wash out. The included gloves are HUGE; think plastic vegetable bags from the grocery store with crude finger partitions. My grays are a bit resistant, so I left the haircolor on about 40 minutes (same as I would have done with Colorspa). The final result was just o.k., not fabulous, and certainly not like Colorspa. And after just 3 washes with a color-protecting shampoo, my roots and grays are an unattractive shade of pink. I don't like the product well enough to try it in another shade, so I'm off to the drugstore for some Clairol Natural Instincts.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2010 5:17:00 PM More reviews by lygophilia

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

So sorry to bring down the ratings. I have been dying my hair for 18 years and will file the results under my epic fail list.
I purchased 5CB Chestnut Brown and applied the product over my medium bown hair. I chose chestnut brown as I was hoping (and thinking) I would achieve golden reddish medium brown hair, but instead ended up with black hair with red tones! I'm happy that my combo of dish soap shampooing followed by deep conditioning has faded my hair to a dark/medium brown with under lying red tones in 3 days. I'm hoping that a few more days of this ritual will continue to aggressively fade my colour. Definitely won't try this product again.
Pros: Works in 10 minutes. No obnoxious hair dye smell.
Cons: My personal results. Flimsy saran wrap-like gloves provided in the kit.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/31/2010 7:26:00 PM More reviews by JanineG

Firstly, DO NOT GO BY THE COLOR ON THE BOX. GO BY THE PLASTIC HAIR ON THE DISPLAY. I bought the medium reddish brown, thinking it would be a little lighter on my light brown hair. However, I now have dark burgundy hair.

I will say, the colour is even, with multi-tonal hues. My hair is shiny and feels nice. I'm hoping the colour will lighten a tad with a few washes.

It smells like your basic hair dye, but the conditioner smells like a decent floral scent.

So its nice, not phenom.

Just listen to the box when it says if you're unsure of the shade, go one shade lighter!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2010 4:57:00 AM More reviews by luvbags3

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I went to the store with green hair, light shade of it. I had blonde hair I colored it ash blonde and green happened. Well I didn't want to add another permanent color on and this seemed like a good option.

I picked 5G medium golden brown, it came out the same color as the box quick, easy, doesn't smell bad, and doesn't damage hair. I will buy again.