September 2, 2014 | 2206 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Glow Foundation

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2013 4:04:00 PM More reviews by ammasprajna

Mont Blanc is the best color-match I've ever found in a foundation, so that alone makes it worth it's weight in gold. I'm pale and have mild rosacea, and SAs are constantly pushing me towards pink-undertone foundations (I have a drawer full of them), but my skin tone is actually neutral, and Mont Blanc is just perfect. They market it as "light with pink undertone" but it's not. It's neutral! I don't know what they're thinking with their color descriptions—most of the shades in this range are quite yellow or peachy.

Anyway, I shied away from this for a long time because I have oily skin and the name "Sheer Glow" sounds like my worst nightmare. But I got curious one day at Sephora and tried it on the back of my hand, where it dried down to a lovely satin-matte. Hmm. It also appeared to be VERY pigmented. Hmm. Not Sheer, not glowy. I picked up a bottle and have been wearing it almost every day since. It's a champ.

I did order the pump from the Nars website ($6) and I'm so glad I did. It looks very skin-like. I would've worn this on my wedding day if I'd known about it because it just looks so, so nice. It's fragrance-free, thank heavens. I can use a very light layer and get beautiful medium to full coverage that holds up all day. I've worn it onstage under hot lights and it holds up. I did a little test recently where I swatched all my foundations on the inside of my arm and then ran them under hot water in the shower to see which ones would hold up best. All of them either melted away or darkened horribly except Shiseido Sun Protection Foundation and Nars Sheer Glow. It's surprisingly tenacious, so be sure you're cleansing really well at the end of the day.

I don't like that I had to order a pump. I understand that this is to encourage people to apply it with their fingers, but I can use my fingers with a pump too, thank you. I also wish it wasn't so expensive, but it's very good and I'm so freakin' excited about all the other wonderful qualities that I don't feel THAT resentful about the price. I definitely will repurchase.

I also recently got the Nars Powder Foundation in the same shade and it's also VERY lovable. :)

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/26/2013 10:47:00 AM More reviews by nikki2212

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

*I have the colour Siberia

Review summary:
I recommend this foundation for people who find a good shade or tone here that they can't find elsewhere, who have quite even skin any way, who have no dryness or oilyness, who control large pores with BHA's, who do not want very long wear from the foundation, who do not react to turmeric.

Detailed review:
I have dry/oily combination, blemish prone, ghostly pale, yellow toned skin with rosacea and sometimes large pores. I look for a foundation that can even out my skin tone up to a medium coverage for times when I will be photographed, that will last the whole day and will photograph well.

This foundation is very hit and miss with an unforgiving formula to imperfect skin, sometimes it performs well, sometimes it's terrible and a good skin care routine just can't always keep skin perfectly balanced (neither dry nor oily) so it is impossible to tell if the foundation will work when you need it too. It was worth the hassle for the colour alone, till I found other foundations pale enough, then all the cons weren't worth it. The lack of pump is no bother to me personally.

The pro's...
- when applied with a damp sponge it gives a glowy finish (as promised).
- it can look very natural or flawless depending on how much you apply.
- it covers rosacea well, and brown pigmentation.
- it is a colour so close to being light enough for my pale skin that i can comfortably wear it out and about. Also shades for deep skin are available. Tones for fair and deep skin are natural and not simplistic or plain.

The con's...
-if difficult pores have not been treated with BHA's the night before, this product will sink into them in an obvious manner.
- its has to be warmed up in the hand before application if not used with a damp sponge, and application with hands or brushes leave a dry, non glowy finish that dries down too quickly to blend well enough. I have seen bloggers and vloggers who love this product applied with hands or brushes but they tend to have such even skin anyway that they wouldn't notice uneven application which is misleading.
- it clings mercilessly to dry patches and creates flakes where there were none. It's too dry for dry skin despite it being marketed for dry skin.
- it separates on oily areas, giving a blotchy appearance as the day goes by. Powder barely prevents this, and if oil has reach the foundation the slightest touch will completely wipe it off on that area.
- this only photographs well in the brightness of day time. In the shade or dark, whether with or without the flash, this has a strange effect of appearing translucent in photo's (In person i look made up, on camera I look like i'm barely wearing a tint, all unevenness on show).
- despite covering rosacea it wont cover the redness of spots no matter how much you layer.
- I found I couldn't wear this more than 2 days in a row as every time I did cystic acne flourished beneath my skin - I imagine this is a failed purging due to the turmeric included (which when used in high concentration as a mask of turmeric and water, draws out blemishes), as an amount too small to bring blemishes up quickly to the surface to be removed, but not too little to not effect the potential blemish.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2013 6:31:00 PM More reviews by mrsbrazik

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

this is one of my all time favorite foundations and I have tried several different brands. I use Stromboli in the winter and Barcelona in the summer time. It is perfect for my tan-olive skin tone( im arabic and indian)the coverage is full! this is one of the few foundations that you should warm between your hands and apply with your finger tips. on days I want light coverage I mix it with a moisturizer. this foundation has vitamin e in it as well and improves your skins texture with time. My face feels much softer when I wear it. The only downside is that the pump comes separately! it should be included in the price.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2013 9:12:00 AM More reviews by pikerupert

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is amazing for me! I feel as though this foundation is quite mismarketed almost, as I find this to be semi-matte but to give a sort of glow, without too much dewiness or shine just a gentle glow, definitely true to the name! I think it is mismarketed though as for dry skinned people this may play havoc and cling to dry patches? I'm not sure. But for me and my slightly oily skin, this is heaven. The colour shading is light enough for me (I am shade Light2) and it is so blendable, so buildable and I love how the best application I find is with fingers. The price and the longevity of the foundation are the only downsides. It cost about €44 I think? And on me, with no primer will last about 5-6 hours which is alright but with a primer it will last about 8 which is good enough for me! This is so brilliant I really recommend trying it if you're considering. Also, this has no SPF which may be a plus or a con for people, I find it a plus as it doesn't give me ghostface in pictures and I can simply apply SPF underneath if I need it. This may be my HG foundation!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/22/2013 1:14:00 PM More reviews by Nionbrack

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Whilst on my lifelong search to find a foundation that fits my skin colour, I came across this is the colour Siberia. It is only about one shade too dark for me but nonetheless the colour was amazing. I received a sample from sephora and thought that a 55$ foundation should be absolutely amazing.
It wasnt.
It lasts maybe 2-3 hours before disappearing on your face and it is unbearably matte. I have no idea why its called Sheer Glow.
The only pros are the colour, the easily blendable formula, and the 0 chance of skin irritation or breakouts. definitely not worth 55 bucks. Id buy it if it were a drugstore foundation.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/19/2013 7:32:00 PM More reviews by Nesssssss

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

My skin is a little dry so I have been looking for a foundation that does not emphasise the dryness and gives a subtle glow. This seemed perfect.

I went and got a sample of NARS sheer glow and couldn't wait to try it. As soon as I touched it though, I knew it was not for me. It didn't feel very moisturising, and as it spread over my face it made my face feel quite tight. Lucky the colour was almost perfect for my skin, because it was super hard to blend. The result of the foundation (even with a moisturising primer) is that it seemed to emphasise my dry patches, like many other foundations seem to do. For the patches that weren't dry, it made my skin look almost perfect...from a distance. When I looked up close it had the affect where it was completely obvious I was wearing makeup, probably the most cakey look I have ever had.

So I'm glad I got a sample and didn't waste $65 on it. Don't get me wrong, I think this foundation would be ok if you have normal, good skin. But get a sample first to make sure.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/14/2013 1:35:00 AM More reviews by Sarsar1sar

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

The foundation is okay, It doesnt have much coverage but is good for skin that is already clear.

The packaging SUCKS! I always used too much and made a mess because there is no pump. You can buy a pump, but it would cost over $10 after shipping and it is hard to find in stores. So I took the pump off of my old Benefit liquid foundation and put it on the Nars, and it worked!

So before buying a Nars pump, try the pumps of other foundations you already have. I heard the MAC pump works too.

Hope this helps!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2013 8:18:00 PM More reviews by NARSLOVER101

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

i LOVE this foundation. i have dry pale skin and was looking for a foundation to make me look glowing- this one certainly does, maybe even sometimes a bit too glowy so i feel like i have to use powder to stop me looking so shiny. i like how you are able to build up the foundation to give such a flawless look! this, along with mac studio sculpt are my two favourite foundations- sheer glow is a bit more expensive but worth it!! not planning on changing foundation anytime soon, definitely worth a try!!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2013 7:24:00 PM More reviews by DandoonBeauty

I love this foundation! I've been using it for 2 years and can't live without it.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/28/2013 8:40:00 PM More reviews by mrszombabe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

So, after hearing such amazing things online and from friends about this foundation I decided to go and check it out at Sephora.
I was matched to the shade 'Gobi' I believe it is called, and the color match was pretty good so I immediately fell in love with it (I'm pale and it's hard to find foundation that matches!)

Anyways, I brought it home and pretty much convinced myself to love it because of the price I paid for it, but in reality it kinda sucked. It was hard to work with, didn't give much coverage at all, didn't come with a pump, and in the end broke my skin out like you would not believe ( and I don't have sensitive skin!)

In the end the only good thing about this was the cute fancy packaging, and the color match.
Other than that, I wasn't impressed.
Would not recommend, there are better foundations out there.
I suggest Urban Decay's naked skin foundation.