July 22, 2014 | 2069 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Glow Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 6/28/2013 10:04:00 PM More reviews by twitterpittered

I adored this foundation when I first bought it - gave a light luminosity to the skin, covered all major redness/pigmentation around the nose area, and was a great colour match! However, having since tried out other high end foundations, it just doesn't really compare. The lasting power isn't wonderful, even when used with the Nars primer and powder, and I do feel that it broad sunlight, you can see it sitting on the skin, which is the WORST for no-makeup makeup.
Pros:
- Great colours
- Natural finish
- Medium coverage - can be sheered down to light, or built up to heavy
- Photographs well (no spf)

Cons:
- Sits on skin in sunlight (which is the cruelest light)
- Can emphasise dryness
- No great lasting power

In summary, whilst I liked this foundation, I think if you're prepared to spend a little more for a Georgio Armani, MAC or Chanel foundation, I'd go for the latter. No strong feelings for this foundation, and I think we can do better : )

rated 4 of 5 on 6/27/2013 2:20:00 PM More reviews by smatte77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

First, a little about me: MAC NC25 with neutral undertones. Normal skin with the occasional hormonal pimple. During winter, my skin can get a little dry in certain areas. Typically I prefer dewy foundations, as I do not like matte ones but I wanted something for date nights, family functions, and special occasions that lended a little more coverage.

I went to Sephora specifically for the purpose of getting matched to this foundation. The SA picked up Punjab and Santa Fe, and it turns out Santa Fe is my perfect match. She gave me a sample and I went on my merry way. I've been wearing it for about 4 days now and here are my thoughts...

The consistency isn't too runny. It's thicker than MAC's F&B but not as thick as Kat Von D's Lock It. On me, it's definitely medium coverage, which is probably because I have pretty good skin overall. So far I have applied it with fingers (this is the NARS recommended application, but I don't like it) and I have used a B'Dellium flat top kabuki. With the kabuki I have applied it dry and then I have also spritzed the brush with MAC Fix+ first, which is my favorite way so far. It seems to spread the product better. The finish is between dewy and matte and it leaves the sheerest, slightest glow on your skin (hence the name) so you can forego highlighter if you'd like. I LOVE the way it makes my skin look. It dries down in about 5 minutes and feels totally weightless. I dust my T-zone with loose powder to set it (MAC sheer select loose, NC20). I'd say I get about 8 hours of wear with this, as I'm not particularly oily. No breakouts/reactions yet...

The color selection is wide so most should be able to find a dead-on match to their skin. The name is misleading, like others have said, because the foundation is not sheer and the word "glow" might deter people. I haven't bought the full size yet, as I am still using the sample but from what I gather the price is $44 US. Pretty pricey, but I believe you usually pay for what you get so I have no problem paying it. A little goes a long way, so it should last awhile! During the week I use MAC F&B or tinted moisturizer, so this will be for special occasions. Like everyone else, the one gripe I have is the lack of a pump. You can buy one for $5-6, but we're already spending a small fortune so I hope one day they realize that and start making it with the damn pump! Oh, and always moisturize before using this foundation!

PROS:

Wide shade selection
No offensive scent
Light to medium coverage, also buildable
Weightless and comfortable
Gives skin a healthy glow which falls between dewy and matte-best of both worlds!
Lasts 5-8 hours (depending on your skin)
No transfer

CONS:

No pump
Price $$$

rated 3 of 5 on 6/26/2013 3:17:00 AM More reviews by klgbeatnik

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

Been using this for a few months now so I think I pretty much now know exactly how this foundation works on me. It has it's pros and cons- pros include amazing blendability, good color selection and the color I have (Santa fe) matches me perfectly, INCREDIBLY natural looking while still giving good coverage. Probably my favorite finish out of every foundation I've ever tried. Cons include packaging which we all know about by now, not good for oily skin in the summer (I tend to get oily, but not THAT oily-and I am a grease ball by the end of the day with this foundation) also it clogs my pores in a way that NONE of my other foundations do. Every time i wear this, i get zits. Will most likely not repurchase

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2013 3:39:00 PM More reviews by Shauneexo

I use this is the shade Cadiz. It's a perfect match for my hard to match skin! It has a beautiful natural finish, which I love. I don't need a full coverage, medium is sometimes too much. I find that this is best applied with your fingers, I guess that's how it was intended to use anyway. I've tried applying it with my ELF flat top brush ( which is the best foundation brush ever, btw) but I find that gives it a more "I'm wearing foundation" look. I'm not a fan of an overly made up face for every day, so that doesn't work for me. The things I don't like: I work in a restaurant, so naturally, my face sweats when I'm there, and it doesn't stay looking as beautiful and fresh as, say, my beloved Physician's Formula talc free loose mineral makeup. Boo :( I hate that it doesn't come with a pump. I know I could always buy one, but I just wish all foundation would come with pumps automatically. Anyway, great foundation. Wish the staying power was better and there was a pump, but it is close to HG. Maybe I'll play around with primers and setting sprays/powders and that will give me better luck.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/22/2013 10:08:00 AM More reviews by hollyms

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Ok, this is a really good foundation, there's no doubt about that. My issue is just that, though... it's not really anything more than "really good," and there are dozens of other "really good" foundations on the market. There is nothing completely outstanding about this foundation to me. It's good on every level, but doesn't blow me out of the water on any. The packaging is also pretty horrible - the cap gets filthy from fingerprints and is hard to clean, and it doesn't come with a pump.

Overall, a good, reliable foundation but I'm not sure I'd repurchase. There are too many others to try out there.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2013 8:41:00 AM More reviews by amcart

I have been using this foundation since beginning of May, and can honestly say it is FANTASTIC!
Over the past few years i have tried so many foundations, and always struggle to stick to one i like for more than a couple of weeks. It has just the amount of coverage that i need, and really do feel confident wearing it. It has a buildable coverage, and the colour matches me perfect (I am Punjab, usually NC30/35) The texture is smooth and blends really easily, i have only tried applying this product with my fingers as that is how NARS advise you to apply it...Only thing that i could slightly criticise about this product is the packaging, it doesn't come with a pump - only a screw top...i have tried to buy the pump seperate but haven't been able to find it yet. It's not a big deal but i think it would finish the product off nicely. It is quite pricey in the UK but i would definatly buy again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2013 12:40:00 PM More reviews by Scruffy892

Ok, there are many much-loved, over-hyped products on MUA. Some I have tried over and over just because you all loved them. I want to know why this whole board isn't jumping up and down and throwing a parade for this stuff. I have tried every foundation under $65 in the last few months and there are only maybe 5 that I feel are truly worth a HE price. This and Urban Decay Naked are the absolute best by far. I have dry skin, large pores, textural issues and a lot to cover. This has never caked on me no matter how thick I put it on. And it covers EVERYTHING! It is easily buildable, easy to blend and work with, long-lasting, transfer-resistant, never looks dry... The coverage is amazing--not "sheer" at all. NARS does it a disservice by naming it that! The finish is somewhere between satin and dewy, IMO. It has a thicker, creamier texture which makes it very easy to build coverage--unlike the UD. I have used Gobi (around NC 10-15), and Mont Blanc--a nice natural-looking pinkish MAC level 15. Both are lovely on my neutral to cool level 10-15 skin. I would put Siberia, the lightest color at around NC 5-10, and Deauville at around NC 15-20. All great, wearable shades.

Issues to consider ("cons" is too harsh):
--This is a thick foundation, so it covers everything thickly, even any bumps on skin--which may highlight them rather than disguise them.
-- I have EXTREMELY sensitive skin, and this does give me slight itchies as the day wears on.
-- This may work for slightly oily skin, but not REALLY oily skin. It starts to break up around my oily areas at the end of the work day.
-- Some primers will cut the coverage level--I prefer to use it without. I also don't powder.

Bottom line: If you have dry skin or need extra coverage, this is an absolute must-try. Now, I've got a parade to organize...

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/11/2013 6:30:00 PM More reviews by sitaara

I found this to be a natural matte finish on my skin (which is normal/combination ) I actually got a full coverage out of this using a real technique buffing brush which is my day to day foundation brush. I thought there would be more of a glow to this but I only achieved that look right at the end of the day. Through out the day I was complimented on my skin by people and was asked a few times what foundation I was wearing so its definitely a keeper! I will be using this for evening/ party makeup. But for every day face and body by mac is my absolute fave as its sheer and dewy and what I like in a foundation

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2013 5:53:00 PM More reviews by mariavittoria1987

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

It wasn't the right formula for me. After quitting BCP my skin became quite oily again, I bought this foundation around the same time not realizing the switch that my skin was having.
The colour match was good, and the finish of this foundation is lovely. Medium coverage with a satiny finish, albeit I wouldn't call it neither sheer nor glowy. I have to say it's not the most lightweight foundation either, you can definitely feel it on your skin, so overall I found it more suitable for a night out where you want to look polished.
Unfortunately it turned greasy on me within an hour of wear so I swapped it away, but I can see how it would look amazing on people with normal to dry skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2013 7:38:00 AM More reviews by mmmmmoostache

Nars sheer glow is great if you want:
Light to medium coverage
Glowing gorgeous skin

i have normal to dry skin so this applies amazingly on my skin and feels like i'm wearing nothing! Its not good however if you want to cover up your blemishes, i have a lot of pimples and it didnt do a very good job at covering it up but it did eliminate the redness and left my skin looking fresh and hydrated