November 23, 2014 | 2124 users online

Cleansers - LUSH - Dark Angels

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2009 10:50:00 AM More reviews by bloodvsplastic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Coal face was better than Fresh Farmacy for my face. But once this came out, everything changed. This is, in my opinion, the best cleanser for oily/acne prone skin LUSH has. It exfoliates the dead skin cells away, sucks up oil, and treats all at the same time... but it doesn't leave your skin feeling parched. Not that it matters, you can just follow up with one of their amazing toners/moisturizers.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/31/2009 5:20:00 PM More reviews by SAMm3

So messy but I love it! Okay, I grant - this stuff makes a mess in the sink, on your towel, and in your fingernails, and it's hard to rinse all of it off. BUT if you use it in the shower you can avoid those problems. And it does wonders for my face! I can take the exfoliation but it's really grainy, so anyone with a sensitive face should sample first. I love the charcoal - I leave this on and let it dry a bit, kind of like a mask. To me it's worth all the mess.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/18/2009 11:23:00 PM More reviews by itzjuzKT

this was my first LUSH skincare product and I'm in love!!!!! the sales girl talked me into buying this cuz she says it helps w/ acne scars and she did a little demo on the back of my hand to feel how smooth it is after using it. It is kinda expensive, I got the one in the container for almost $13 but a little goes a long way. What I do is after I remove my makeup, I break it up into a small piece, wet it w/ some water and apply it to my face, I wait for about 30 sec til I wash it off in the shower and it leaves my skin soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo unbelievably soft!!!!! I also noticed that it helps w/ my acne too, I don't get breakouts and my skin texture is smooth on the surface and whenever I apply foundation it looks great!!! I would definitely buy this when I run out

rated 2 of 5 on 10/15/2009 7:09:00 PM More reviews by nintastic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Ah, Dark Angels. This product was my first venture into the wild world of LUSH. Because I am roundabout 50 miles away from my nearest counter/store, getting a sample was all but out of the question for me, so I took the plunge and bought a chunk of it from the LUSH website.

It comes in a little package not unlike the plastic containers you'd get when purchasing food from a deli. I've had my chunk for about a month now (this isn't the kind of product you'd want to use every day), and it's kept quite well.

This is without a doubt, the strangest smelling, messiest product I have ever used. In the beginning, I thought I'd be bold and try my luck with using it a couple evenings a week in the sink when I removed my makeup. It got black stuff EVERYWHERE (granted it was pretty easy to wipe up, and the little spots of it I would accidentally get on towels washed out easily), so now I only use this product every three or so days in the shower. It's still quite messy, and it's very close to impossible to use this cleaner and not have some sort of lingering residue after stepping out of the shower. I had a bit of a runny nose when I first started using this product, so imagine my shock when I blew my nose later in the day only to discover the contents of my tissue had turned black from the Dark Angels remnants that had found their way into my nose! Gross, I know, but it's become par for the course with this product. I've found bits of it in my hair, in my ears, around my eyes... it's very messy, although at the same time it can be quite fun to smear black muck all over your face.

So does it work? In all honesty, I haven't seen any results from this product, positive or otherwise. It didn't break me out, but it didn't do a thing for blackheads, enlarged pores, or any other "problem skin" symptom that the website description mentioned. As an exfoliator, it left my skin very soft, but there are a myriad of other (less messy!) products that do that.

Will I buy again? No. I'm having a heck of a time using up what I've got now. My advice to anyone interested in this product would be to try a sample first, or go in on a chunk with friends.

Two lippies, because it seemed promising, functional and fun, but turned out to be ineffective and messy.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2009 4:14:00 PM More reviews by MakeUp4Fun

This is not a cleansesr. It's a scrub. And it's very grainy.... the coal pieces are HUGE. I don't even know if it's coal or almond grounds. But it's quite chunky. If you think St Ives apricot scrub is too grainy and damaging to your skin, you'll think Dark Angels is worse. I hate how messy this cleanser is especially b/c it's BLACK. I've used Angels on Bare Skin and Herbalism before, and had no problem with their messiness. Dark Angels is the messiest ever, even in the shower. It doesn't help with my skin either... My skin doesn't improve, nor did it get worse. I have normal behaving skin to begin with... not much problems to treat. The WORST thing about this "cleanser" is that the black stain STAYS on my skin. I rinse my face with water for a while before stepping out of shower. Then i use toner and wipe my face, and i always see black stains coming out! I really don't know how i feel about this cleanser not rinsing off completely. Sometimes, the black pieces were stuck in my hairlines. I don't think i'll repurchase this. I hate that i have to use up the whole tub in 3 months... although i only bought like $7 worth of it, i can't see myself finishing it anytime soon. Too gross...

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2009 3:50:00 AM More reviews by Rockabillygirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I brought this because i wanted to see an improvement in my skin! Well i didnt notice a change.The only difference was my face was soft! I am not sure what i was expecting..hmm i guess maybe a new face but it was just ok. I put this on my face and it looked like mud then after wards i washed it and my face was soft! I give it 3 lippies only because of the softness but other than that that is it! I wont buy this again only because the little bit that is did buy will last me forever!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2009 10:06:00 PM More reviews by evarose

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

UPDATE: 12/19/09--- Been using this for almost 3 months and still love it. It's a keeper!! -----

I was anxious to review this immediately after I tried it, but I know better with skincare products. I've been using Dark Angels for about a month now (2-3 a week) and I can say officially that I LOVE IT! It's super fun to use. Black, gooey junk all over your face... love it. No surprise it is messy, so use it in the shower. It washes off your face and the shower floor easily. I apply it as a mask/scrub, leaving it on for about 5 minutes total. Only rub it around gently, any more might cause irritation. It leaves my face feeling super soft and smooth and dare I say more even-toned??? Yes! As for the smell, I like it much better than Coal Face. I have not experienced any breakouts form this. And if I use it consistently I see a significant reduction in breakouts. This is everything I hoped Coal Face would be. Awesome. Never discontinue this, LUSH. Rating will be upped to 5 if I still like it in a few weeks- fingers crossed!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2009 5:54:00 PM More reviews by luvnudao

I was a Coalface fan before Dark Angels has released. This is definitely my new HG!!! I've been using it everyday although I don't find it harsh on my acne-prone skin but it has dramatically improved my skin texture instead. I love how it leaves my skin soft not squeaky clean like Coal face. I've also noticed my blackheads on my nose were mostly gone. And like many other says - those black residues it leaves behind doesn't impress but for me I just simply wipe it out with Lush Tea Tree Water which has work wonders!!! The only bad thing is, it creates extra work cleaning up fingernails. I'd still give it 5 lippies though...cuz this is the best cleanser for me so far ;)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2009 3:21:00 PM More reviews by Nowheregirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I love licorice so I like the way this smells. It's fun to use and my face feels soft afterwards. My only complaint is that it leaves black residue in my pores, so I have to remove this cleanser with a washcloth. But after using at night and following it with Eau Roma Water toner and Celestial moisturizer, my skin felt amazing.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/4/2009 11:55:00 PM More reviews by mizznk

Great product, really cleans the skin without striping it and also ex foliates well. I don't like the black residue it leaves behind, but the benefits out way the cons so I use it at night.