L'Oreal Waterproof Voluminous Carbon Black

2.6

on 1/21/2010 5:36:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

i accidentally got this instead of the original nonwaterproof formula. i dont like this mascara. its so difficult to remove, the product dispenses heavy and clumpy. plus it smudges like crazy around my eyes when i apply it and its SO hard to remove it off skin. no thanks. i hope the original formula proves to be better...it does make my lashes show up and is a true very black color but that doesnt make up for the other cons.

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Warm

I got this on a sale for $6..I only purchase waterproof because I find that it holds my curl. This mascara did deliver volume, however it's too heavy/wet and it makes my curls droop. It does not hold my curl at all no matter how much I curl my eyelashes. What I really like about this mascara is that it does NOT budge, smear, nor flake. It does a good job delivering volume to my lashes, while not clumping. Too bad it doesn't hold the curl..
Another thing that I sort of like is that I can wear a coat of this on top of another mascara that holds my curl to make my lashes extra plump. I will not be purchasing this mascara next time, thank god I got this on sale.

on 1/15/2010 7:22:00 PM

I'll start by saying that L'Oreal's Voluminous Waterproof in Black and Black/Brown are staples for me. I've been using them for years. I always end up going back to them even after trying multitudes of high end waterproof mascaras. No other mascara seems to give my thin, blonde, stick-straight lashes length AND volume AND hold a curl the way this mascara does. I just love the stuff.

Having said that, I was THRILLED when I saw the Carbon Black version at Target. I didn't bother to check MUA reviews. I just assumed it was the same as my other beloved Voluminous mascaras. Boy was I wrong! I've never had a mascara (especially a waterproof one) smudge onto my browbone by lunchtime just because I look up and down during the day! I don't wear mascara on my lower lashes so it doesn't smudge below. But to smudge on my browbone! That's just ridiculous! It's the middle of winter. It can't be blamed on humidity or heat. Even if it was hot or humid, this has never been a problem with other formulations. I tried it several times and finally just threw the whole tube out.

on 1/11/2010 2:50:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I wear waterproof Volumious in black so I thought I would try this one. Boy this is terrible!!! It flakes/smudges in about 15 minutes and I look like I have raccoon eyes!! I'm going back to the Voluminous waterproof in black-it has never smudged on me!!!

on 1/10/2010 6:05:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse

I shoulda read the reviews. I like voluminous waterproof in very black so I figured the carbon black would be good. But it wears differently. Much wetter upon application and even after it dries is smudges and runs very easily and quickly.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

In short, just like everyone said--it smudges. Had flecks of black on my lid and brow bone after using this. Color and brush are nice, but if you need a true WP, don't bother.

on 12/29/2009 5:21:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This mascara is not bad, I used the regular voluminous years ago and really liked it. This did not provide the kind of volume compared to Maybelline's Colossal that I just finished using and it's a little difficult to remove as I have the waterproof version. It's buildable and is a nice inky black. I haven't had any smudging and it is very waterproof as I found out when I went tobogganing with my son and had a face full of snow and my lashed looked fine afterwards.

on 12/25/2009 2:29:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Not a bad mascara, but it's nothing amazing and it does have its faults.
It does a nice job of making my lashes look fuller, and since my tube is pretty new, I haven't noticed any clumping.

Unfortunately, even though it's waterproof, I notice that it smudges just under my eye. I don't have giant raccoon eyes at the end of the day, but after 15 hours, there's a little bit of a grey/charcoal smudge underneath my eyes.

I wouldn't buy it again...even though it only put me out $4.73...

on 12/23/2009 9:08:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I have been a loyal fan of Original and Waterproof Voluminous for 15 years, but Carbon Black is a nightmare. It starts rubbing off of my lashes within minutes, and it's very difficult to get off of my skin once it's there. I just bought this tube and I don't think I can stand to finish it. If this is 'waterproof,' I'd hate to try the regular.

on 12/21/2009 4:50:00 PM

Love what it does for my lashes..but...hate what it does under my eyes. Hello raccoon eyes..it's not pretty. I thought the waterproof would at least last longer than 2 hours..but no. Will never buy this again..sorry I paid almost $7 for it.

Popular Mascaras