April 18, 2014 | 1435 users online

Mascara - L'Oreal - Waterproof Voluminous Carbon Black

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2009 6:07:00 PM More reviews by MissPurple

The ORIGINAL waterproof Voluminous mascara has been my favorite for years --- it even beats my beloved Lancome Definicils. I was out of my tube, thought this Carbon Black is just a different packaging and bought one. What a mistake! It clumps, weighs down the curl, flakes, doesn't give as much volume, and the worst of all, it SMUDGES really bad. At first I thought L'Oreal changed the formula on the entire Voluminous line, and was relieved to see the original waterproof in black is still available (just hope they don't discontinue it). ***STAY AWAY FROM VOLUMINOUS CARBON BLACK***

rated 3 of 5 on 11/3/2009 2:44:00 PM More reviews by falovalo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

Not really any more pigmented than regular Voluminous mascara and not as volumizing. It's a PAIN to wash off, this could stick around for days even after showering and washing my face.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/24/2009 12:27:00 PM More reviews by Decadence

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

My Lashes: stick straight thin asian lashes

Stick with the original Voluminous waterproof. The Carbon Black version smudges a bit, yet strangely does not remove as easily despite double cleansing with an oil cleanser and follow up foaming cleanser. This removes the curl from my lashes and does not apply evenly - I definitely have to comb through. The black is not as intense as I thought it would be; in fact, I don't really note that much of a difference (if any) between this black and the original Voluminous WP in black.

It's not the worse mascara I've tried, but it definitely does not perform as well as the regular Voluminous waterproof version (the mascara I return to without fail for the past couple of years). In every aspect, depth of color, holding curl, volumizing and lengthening effect, the original version far outperforms the Carbon Black version.

*sigh* now if I can only find my receipt to return the darn thing...

rated 2 of 5 on 10/23/2009 2:51:00 AM More reviews by amara8

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

SMUDGES! So bad! I love the way this mascara makes my eyelashes look but the raccoon eyes are not worth it! I look like some serial killer after a couple of hours with this stuff on! I had heard great stuff about the Voluminous mascara and bought the waterproof version because I needed one. Boy was that a mistake! Next time I'm getting the non-waterproof version.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/22/2009 2:23:00 AM More reviews by pno219

I had bought this as a buy one get one free with the non-waterproof voluminous mascara. Please, buy that one. I used this after that and to be honest, I wish I had just bought TWO of those instead of trying this one out. Honestly, it looks NICE right after you put it on. But when you come home and check the mirror... you see a bunch of smudges. Like NO JOKE. I guess the formula is just like that. But it DOES lengthen. Makes my eyes all open. :] But so not worth the smudges! The other voluminous mascara does the SAME thing without smudging... and I know people say waterproof is good cuz it has more wax and holds the curl. But that one DOES hold it for me. :] so will never be purchasing THIS one.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/15/2009 5:16:00 PM More reviews by lnoel4274

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

Why oh why do I buy items impulsively BEFORE I read reviews? This mascara is crap. How on earth does a "waterproof" mascara smudge? I am not an eye-rubber, my eyes don't water, and I work indoors in an air-conditioned building. Yet my eyes look like I have been snorting crack in the bathroom at work all day...that is how bad this stuff smudged under my eyes. It's like a practical joke...it does the EXACT opposite of what the package claims it will do.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2009 8:56:00 PM More reviews by fetishdolly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am a huge fan of L'Oreal Voluminous, and I decided to try this out [I didn't read the reviews here, big mistake]. This stuff is evil. The brush looks like the Voluminous' version, but the mascara is REALLY wet. It coats onto the brush, and gobs onto your eyelashes. The bristles don't brush through your lashes @ all. So, your left with mascara blobs and clumped eyelashes.

If you try to comb it out, it will leave those annoying balls at the end of the lashes. Being so dang wet it takes forever to dry, and weighs down the curl terribly. When I tried to use my lash curler the mascara came off @ the base of my lashes. It was impossible to work with. When I did leave the house w/it, my eyes were terribly irritated and teared like mad. It did smudge and flake a LOT within a few hours. So, avoid this like the plague. :/

rated 5 of 5 on 10/12/2009 11:01:00 PM More reviews by loveblendnbeauty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Black

i get a tad bit sad when i see some of my favorite products getting bad reviews .. am i just using them differently than other women and getting better results?! i'm sorry ladies, but i gave a 5 to this mascara .. it did exactly what i wanted it to do and i didn't have too many of the same complaints as the others did .. What i didn't like at first: 1) it "sheds" .. leaving little black smudgies under my eyes, not quite raccoonish, but not quite attractive either! .. and 2) hard to remove!! .. i'd rate this product a 3 or 4 if i didn't figure out how to fix these problems ... to fix #1, i used a primer. i typically use Clinique's Lash Buildling Primer. I normally use primers because i love Waterproof mascara so it needs something to stick to so it's not incredibly stuck to my actual lashes. Plus the primer helps in volume and length :) .. to fix #2 i use a cottonball with some Clinique Take the Day Off eye make-up remover (or Neutrogena's eye make-up remover, it works wonders too!) and hold it over my eyes/eyelashes for about 10 seconds .. then gently wipe :) tada! all gone. if that doesn't work, i use vaseline and rub it lightly on my lashes with my fingers and then wipe .. either method worked for me .. this mascara definitely isn't for the lazy type .. so if you're a "wipe my face and eyes with a make-up remover wipe" type, this mascara will irritate you. if you don't have the patience to take it off, don't buy it. but if you love what it does to ur lashes and just hate the smudgy setback, i'd buy a primer .. Clinique's or MAC's are the 2 best that i've used :) .. otherwise, this product lengthens and makes my short and thin lashes stick out. i love the carbon black aspect of it because my hair is blacker than black ..

rated 1 of 5 on 10/9/2009 11:56:00 AM More reviews by penelopemb

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am a fan of the original Voluminous mascara, so decided to give Carbon Black Waterproof a try. I think L'Oreal does a pretty good job with mascara overall and is probably the best brand you can buy in the drug store.

What a disappointment! This formula leaves flakes, flakes, and more flakes. I find it under my eyes all day long. Also, it goes on pretty clumpy. And it's very hard to remove, even with copious amounts of eye makeup remover. I end up having to resort to baby oil to get the last of it off.

This is by far the most disappointment L'Oreal mascara I've tried. Stick with original Voluminous ... this formula is not an improvement by any means.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/1/2009 8:00:00 PM More reviews by jlau22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

So I've had this mascara for a few months now and used it on and off. When i first got it I was super excited cause of all the hype, and its probably because of that I have to say I was pretty disappointed. It clumps a lot, probably because it seems to be a thicker formula then some others I have tried. To me, pretty average, thickens the lash ok, but it also weighs them down too. Not a repurchase for me.