August 23, 2014 | 1378 users online

Mascara - Chanel - Mascara Exceptionnel

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2008 11:43:00 PM More reviews by ajax5455

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I hate to say nice things about a mascara that costs $28 (I, too, got a sample from Allure magazine). However, this stuff is pretty darn nice. I'd like a little more lengthening from it, but it lasts all day and is far and away better than any other mascara I've tried. Still, I find it offensive to buy an expensive mascara that I'm going to toss after three months, so I won't be purchasing it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2008 11:41:00 PM More reviews by Jocelyn88

Another Allure tester here.... I've been using this mascara for about a week now & can say that it is a good mascara (for my eyelashes... while my lashes are not super short, they are about medium length. They are definitely not thick, though, so volume/thickening is my #1 concern).

I found that you have to adjust your thinking in how you apply mascara. I'm used to the wiggle @ base & pull method. This is simply a twirl from the base up method... For me, I have to do it really slow otherwise it will end up all over the place. The end effect is gorgeous! Fluffy, full, fluttery, long lashes.... I almost get that "criss crossy" effect from it (and I don't have "criss crossy" lashes)! Oh, and I sould clarify I do curl my lashes, just w/ a regular $5 Gold Revlon curler... but then again, that Gold Revlon curler works wonders for me vs. the Shu or Shi curlers (which were just over priced, overrated gadgets for me).

So far I have had one crying spell w/ this stuff on (and it was a good one) and it did not stay perfectly put, but it didn't totally ruin my mascara job either! It could have been user vs. mascara, though, with me rubbing my eyes w/ tissues. Otherwise I haven't had any smudging or flaking issues w/ it.

$28.... OUCH! While I probably will not buy this regularly, I would if I could get out of the *HOLY CRAP, $28 for MASCARA?* mindset.... thus I selected YES, I would purchase again continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2008 10:28:00 PM More reviews by Bagbabe53

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I also got this as a sample from Allure like some others, and thought it would just be another expensive, over-rated mascara, but I loved it! Like another reviewer, I too use my Shu eyelash curler before applying it for maximum effect. If you follow the directions on rotating the brush, it really works at lengthening and curling the lashes. I may actually buy a tube in spite of the $28 price, but want to try Lauder's Sumptuous Mascara first.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2008 6:32:00 PM More reviews by smjolly02

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I received a sample of this mascara and I love it. It really lengthens and plumps my lashes, and it doesn't flake or smudge easily.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2008 1:36:00 PM More reviews by imeldita22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Black

first let me tell you that if you have thin lashes, this mascara will work at its best when you curl them with Shu Uemura's Eyelash Curler. After putting this on, I didn't see any length but after I curled it, it looks fluffy, fanned out, defined and sexy. I guess everyone gets different results from this but I definitely suggest that you curl your lashes either before or after application.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/17/2008 12:39:00 PM More reviews by visageaparis

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I was very disappointed with this mascara. The brush makes lashes look spikey and the mascara is too liquid so it doesn't dry quickly enough. I have full healthy eyelashes---maybe this would be better for people who have thinner lashes, but for me it wasn't anything special at all.Mine was a sample and I would not buy this ever.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2008 11:03:00 AM More reviews by darlinglilkitten

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

GAHHHHHHH. I did not want to love this. I did not want this to be better than my previous HG. I thought the search was over. Well...let me tell you that NO MASCARA is better than this one if you want a faux lash look. Move aside DiorShow. Exceptionnal *truly* is a faux lash mascara like I have never seen before. Not only are my lashes JET BLACK, and over the top THICK, they are curled up and fanned out PERFECTLY. My lashes are now not only dark and thick, but they are sexy and flirty. Curled up and the corners and fanned out to perfection. This is an unprecendented result for me, after DiorShow, Px Lash Envy, TF Lash Injection etc. I never tried YSL so I can't compare to that. I got a free sample of this at the Chanel counter, but I will definitely repurchase this. Alas, just when I thought the search was over (Shiseido base with Voluminous Carbon Black over it, darn good for volume and darkness but does not have this flipped up, curling effect of Exceptionnal), I have to go and fall in love with a $28.00 mascara. GAH! I wanted this to *suck*. It does not. Not even remotely. It is perfect. And I have thick, black doll-like lashes.

ps. I will have to see if it dries out uber fast. That could be the one and only downfall.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/16/2008 3:10:00 PM More reviews by bluemopitz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I received a sample of this for Allure also. I really love the brush. The three comb sides are awesome for making sure each lash is separated. The downside to the little combs is that if you have thick eyelashes like I do, it can be hard for them to get between the lashes. I thought the application was easy and smooth. The formula was nice, it gave good lash coverage, and added volume and length. It wasn't as dramatic a look as I had hoped for though. I like Givenchy Phenomen'eyes better than this for drama, but it really is an excellent mascara.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2008 1:55:00 PM More reviews by abfabjeanius

I received a sample of this from Macy's, and today is my first day test-driving it. I've used other Chanel mascaras before (Extracils and Inimitable), and I do have to say that this one is better than the other two... however, I don't think it will be HG material for me, unfortunately.

The brush, in theory, should work "exceptionally" -- it has 3 sides with a brush that lengthens, and 3 sides with a comb that volumizes, so technically, twirling the wand through the lashes should really give both a volumizing and lengthening effect. However, they must have intended this for people who actually have lashes that are long enough to twirl through and are also coordinated enough not to smudge mascara onto their upper eyelids, etc. Me, I don't really fall into that category! I find that my lashes can only support one rotation, so I have to keep starting back at the roots with the next side. (Darn short lashes!) I think if this came with an auto-rotating wand (such as EL Turbolash), it may be more effective.

As for the actual formula, it is a very glossy black (which I like), and I find that one coat thickens well, though doesn't lengthen, as much as I would prefer. My lashes are left a tad crunchy, but I do find that my curl stays (unlike with the Inimitable), and I've experienced no smudging.

So, long story short, I do like this, and I will most likely buy the full-sized version at some point, but I am in no rush to relinquish my beloved DiorShow or YSL Faux Cils, or even Givenchy Phenomen'eyes or EL Sumptuous. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2008 5:44:00 AM More reviews by chertovka

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm reviewing a small tube in Smokey Noir I got from an SA for testing.
This mascara is simply fabulous - it gives perfect separation, nice volume, very black color and it stays put all day. Even survived a short crying session and a nap - no smudging or flaking.
And though the application is still a bit tiresome for me, the result is outstanding, so I'm sure I will buy the full-size tube as soon as this one is over.