September 18, 2014 | 1410 users online

Liquid - Shu Uemura - Face Architect Smoothing Fluid Foundation ] [DISCONTINUED]

image 0image 1image 2

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2008 1:25:00 PM More reviews by blueirisjazz

I bought this mostly because the reviews on here were so good, and I must say I agree! It is so light, and honestly doesn't feel like you're wearing makeup at all. It has buildable coverage, and looks so natural on my skin. It also photographs extremely well, so if you think you're going to be photographed a lot, this is a great foundation to wear. It stays put too, so you don't have to be worried about it if you're going to be out for a long time. Great stuff!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/3/2008 7:15:00 PM More reviews by obsessed098

I really, really wanted to like this product. I hate to ruin all the perfect reviews before mine, but I do not blame it on the product. I think this is a very high quality liquid. Perhaps the best in texture I've felt yet. My skin is just not compatible. Too oily, and needing higher coverage.

The foundation is more of a medium coverage. Provided an even base, but i needed concealer and powder which in total was too heavy.

The packaging is top notch. Easy to pump and sanitary.

Color. I got 754 -- medium range. NC 30ish. Too bad it's not yellow enough. Go to the 9xx range if you are very yellow. 7xxs are more neutral.

Performance wise...as my skin is too oily, this did not control oil at all. Good for dry to maybe combo skin tho.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2008 3:39:00 PM More reviews by beaniewienie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

The MA matched me to #355 in the Face Architect foundation. I use NC/NW20 in Mac. 355 tends to be pinker than my other foundation, but it's not a "pink" foundation. It matches my skin very well. The coverage is nice. Lightweight feel, but it does give me the coverage that I need. I have combo/oily skin & I do get a bit shiny in the summer w/ this foundation, but if I mix it w/ a touch of Mac Studio Fix Fluid it works perfectly. I love the silky feel of it & it has a nice clean scent.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/26/2008 3:19:00 PM More reviews by hazyeyes

Over the years I have bought foundation after foundation and never ended up wearing any of them for various reasons. The color was never right, I didn't like the lingering smell, it made my skin look worse, or it caused me to break out. Whenever I would put on foundation I would end up washing it off and going without. I just couldn't find one that I was happy with and could actually stand to wear. After reading the reviews here (not many at this time but all positive) I decided to try one more time and see if I could stand to wear foundation. I have worn this everyday for about 2 weeks and it is AMAZING! I have yet to find a sunscreen that doesn't irritate my already sensitive skin so I was looking for something to just lightly cover the inevitable redness that follows the sunscreen application and seems to get worse throughout the day. Also, I was hoping for something to tone down the shine from the sunscreen. This foundation did the trick. It covers just enough but does not feel the least bit heavy (for someone who have never worn foundation this is a big plus). It also have a very nice glow and looks great with or without a touch of loose powder. It doesn't sink into my pores like others I've tried or accentuate imperfections. The packaging is perfect...very simple and sanitary. I think the price is completely worth it considering it actually works and I am using it. I am very happy to have found this! Thank you previous reviewers!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/24/2008 5:34:00 AM More reviews by honeydew5555

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Officially this Face Architect Smoothing Fluid Foundation has become my HG for liquid foundation type.

Since my former HG foundation which is Laura Mercier oil-free foundation in Sunny Beige, the glass bottle was fell down to the floor then broken into pieces :(
    (damn, the pump dispenser is nice of course, but talking about that fragile glass bottle, terrible! I have heard before about this misery happened to some peoples though i didn't expect I would have to experience the same poor thing, )

So I went shopping and wanted to try something new so I stopped by Shu counter, the MA was nice, she removed all the make up I had then gradually put this one on my face (me i use this in 754 shade) and I was really stunned because i didn't expect such a coverage!!!! and altogether with the feeling of having it on the face which is so light and soothing , I was immediately fell in love with this foundation!

But then I asked MA to walk around to make sure if that effect could remain when time passes by, of course, as a girl who has oily skin and getting sweat easily like me, I'm so cautious about the issues of 1. staying power 2. if the foundation would make my skin getting more oily or not 3. the color, if it's oxidized later then turn to be orangy or greyish.

After 2 hours later after shopping and dinner then I looked at the mirror, I still was super impressed, my face looked so even, smooth and some flaws I have (freckles on cheek bone and few pimple scars) is eliminated also my face wasn't look oily as I thought it would be!!! I went back to the counter then was about to buy the the MA told me the shade 754 was sold out and I would have to wait for a while but no way, I was too determined that i called other few branches of Shu Uemura counter until I got it!! Yeah!

So far I have used this almost every single day for 1 month now and I'm still very impressed as this has become my staple :)

Personally I think this foundation is similar to LM liquid oil free in many ways but better, so I'm gonna compare this Shu with LM foundation, here we go :

Color Match :

LM oil free : I use Sunny beige which match my face quite perfectly except that it can turn orange / darker a bit at noon

Shu Face Architect : For the shade 754 I use, it's way more yellow abit, less orange so it match my medium / Asian skin tone better
    (I'm NC 30-35 in MAC, 30 in Chanel foundation, Revlon color stay in Sand beige, Clinique perfectly real in 65 or 66, Estee lauder double wear in Fresco, Bobbi Brown in Sand or Natural)

Staying Power :

Shu Face Architect has a more staying power than LM but honestly I won't compare this with those long wearing foundation like Double Wear or Color Stay, After I apply Both LM and Shu then I set with Translucent Loose setting powder, and in the same life style, in Thailand which is so hot and humid all year round :(

Oil Control Property :

LM is better than Shu for this matter BUT not like very noticeable :)

Coverage :

This subject is something that I still cann't believe it myself. The fact is that LM is defeated!!!! well, as the concept of LM foundation represent as "long wearing, buildable coverage that you can adjust from sheer to medium or even almost full coverage" while Shu does emphasize only for the smooth, natural, glowing effects

But seriously, if you guys try both of them and compare you would agree with me that Shu in this version has better coverage ( Sunny beige VS. 754) with smoother texture and easier to apply, no need wet sponge, anyway, I cann't say it's full coverage but high as I love :D

Packaging and Price :

lol I think you guys can guess right? lol as I just mentioned above ,indeed, I think Shu has better packaging with same nice quality of pump dispenser remain ;) but the glass bottle is different type, unlike LM's one that can be broken too easily!!!! yet Shu is cheaper though not much different (LM is 29 ml. while Shu is 27 ml.)

The feeling when you have both on your face is almost the same but LM is a bit drier while Shu gives more natural "no heavy foundation look" and glowy , However in my opinion it's almost like the twin just that the Shu is the developed version lol.

All in all I totally fall in love with this Shu foundation! I would totally repurchase when it run out but since it's high pigmentation so a little goes a long way, I use almost 2 pump (a lot actually!!! lol) to coverage all those freckles i have and even out my facial skin.

Sincerely, Thank you a lot for all the previous reviews, it helps me a lot because I read each the comment carefully before I made a decision to buy as this product got not many reviews at all which I'm surprised.

PS.

Shu Face Architect has never break me out , this foundation is magnificent :)

Update : 06/10/2010

This foundation is truly a keeper...something that I've always come back to. Recently, just got break out again big time :(. At first I tried to use LM Silk Creme in Bamboo, expecting the full coverage and it let me down, eventually, gotta come back to this Shu Face architect. Now I live in peace :P

28 out of 29 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/22/2008 1:20:00 PM More reviews by moncj66

WOW!! What was i waiting for. My friend uses this stuff but I didn't want to buy it cause its more expensive than MAC. So, today, I go to nordstorms and get a good color match, I loved the feel., I feels like nothing, but gives u great coverage..I immediately bought it and have been wearing it since 9 am No touch ups..Great buy. I hope this will last 8-9 hours, then im offically switching over..Underrated brand..

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2008 7:16:00 PM More reviews by jennyjbloom

I love this foundation. It's lightweight but provides great coverage. After the MA applied it my skin looked great, but the real test was later that afternoon after a long hike. This foundation held up amazingly well. I only had to touch up with some translucent powder before going out to dinner. Even my sister, who never shies away from offering blunt comments, agreed my makeup still looked good.

Update: my sensitive skin has yet to break out after over 1.5 months. It's a tad pricey at over $40 but I think it's definitely worth it. My previous foundation (Smashbox) was only a few dollars cheaper and felt greasy and didn't provide nearly as nice a finish.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/12/2008 11:24:00 PM More reviews by Absolutely

A nice foundation with a lot of shades. It looks natural but not as natural as the Water Perfect Foundation since Face Architect has higher coverage. I have to use powder on top because it will start looking shiny fast due to my very oily skin (especially my t-zone). I do use Sofina's sunscreen as a base for the t-zone but even that does not ensure 8 hour wear. I can go about 6 hours before I blot but the foundation comes off and can look blotchy if I wait too long to blot but that is a problem with every foundation I've tried except the Shiseido Sunscreen one but I cannot continue to use that due to breakouts. A problem I find with this foundation is that it can sink into fine lines after a long day. Otherwise, it is one of the best liquid foundations I have tried, but am still looking for something that holds longer in a liquid form. Try the water perfect if you are looking for a more light and natural coverage but both are quality foundations.

Foundations I have tried:
    Shu Uemura - Water Perfect: Great for my better skin days
    YSL - Brush Foundation: Felt too greasy and contributed to some break outs
    Shiseido Sunscreen Foundation SPF 42: The colour matchd me so well and has the best lasting power and it actually looks pretty natural (tiny bit more natural than Shu's FA). However, it contributed to break outs but a lot of MuAers did not experience this. I used an oil-cleanser to remove it every night too.
    Guerlain Fleur de Teint Ultra Mat: Great coverage but the colour is off (the lightest yellow/neutral colour is way too dark for me)
    Shiseido White Lucent Powder Foundation: Medium-Full coverage but oddly, it did not help at all with oilies. Also settled into pores.
    Chanel Mat Lumiere Powder: Almost no coverage and the skin tones are too pinky for me.
    Chanel Double Perfection Powder: Colour was off and oxidized a bit after a while
    La Prairie Cellular Treatment Powder Foundation: Excellent but expensive. It does settle into large pores if I do not use this over a foundation. I do not use this alone because the colour looks off. This is great for a finishing powder and for touch-ups.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2008 4:46:00 AM More reviews by tiffankl

I'm beginning to wonder how I would have lived my life if it weren't for Shu's products. Face Architect just recently came out in the US, and I was so excited to try it out. I have very very very pale skin, and I also have freckles on my cheeks which I really hate and always want to cover. I purchased FA in 774, and the color is a perfect match. Shu's foundations are definitely godsends for Asian skin because they match my skintone so incredibly well. I haven't been able to find that with other makeup lines--not even Shiseido which was what I used prior to finding out about the amazingness that is Shu Uemura. Anyway, this is a very light foundation but it covers extraordinarily well. I apply it with a foundation brush, and I spritz it with the Depsea Water Facial Mist before picking up the foundation and applying it onto my face. I first dot my face with the brush in a stippling motion, then I gently buff it in. I find that I really don't need that much product to achieve the look that I want. I don't want to look like I caked on my makeup--I am a big fan of the light and natural, no-makeup look. And Shu definitely delivers with the Face Architect. It moisturizes a little better than the Water Perfect, and it also has better coverage. When I'm done with my foundation, it really just looks like my natural skin because FA blends so well, except that my face is now flawless. I love love love it, and I find that I don't even need to use a concealer. I just set the foundation with translucent face powder and then I'm ready to go. This is an absolutely astounding foundation that everyone must try!!!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/18/2008 8:06:00 AM More reviews by jimaze06

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am not really planning to buy this product. I was supposed to buy a shu concealer during that time but when the MA tried this on me, I fell inlove with it immediately. I need not put a concealer because it can hide my post pimple scars but not looking cakey and heavy. The feeling is so lightweight that sometimes i forget that I have make up on. Plus it lasts long too! People are complimenting me that my complexion is good and i have a certain glow in my face. I'm a MAC NC30 but for Face Architect it's 764. I will definitely buy again but I will get 754 because the shade that I got is somehow light for my skintone. All in all I love this product.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No