April 20, 2014 | 1287 users online

Moisturizers - Josie Maran Cosmetics - Argan oil

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/22/2011 4:52:00 PM More reviews by GlamDiva

I like the way the Argan oil feels moisturizing to the skin when it goes on, and it soaks right in. However overall I feel it's congesting to my sinuses and not sure how that happens, and that it's aging my skin longterm especially around the undereye area. Oil by itself is not really moisture.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2011 3:15:00 PM More reviews by Nowheregirl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I use Josie Maran's argan oil on my face. I apply a few drops in the palm of my hand, press my hands together, and then press my hands gently over my face. I repeat the procedure on my neck. I've tried using other vegetable oils on my skin, and I find argan oil absorbs faster. It also makes my skin feel incredibly soft. In the winter I use it as a serum before applying a moisturizer, but in warmer weather I could use it alone. Although I really like this product, I wouldn't buy this particular brand again because of the price. All argan oil in the world comes from the same source: a women's cooperative in Morocco. I've found other suppliers of pure argan oil who sell it for much less.

UPDATE: 2/17/2012: I've repurchased this. After my first bottle ran out I bought a cheaper brand of argan oil and it wasn't the same. It was greasier and had a nutty smell to it. Josie says her oil is first-pressed, and at first I thought it was just a marketing ploy. But now I won't use any other brand of argan oil.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2011 8:17:00 PM More reviews by KTcoleman30

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I recently re-discovered Argan Oil after using it on my hair and not liking it at all. While browsing YouTube, I stumbled on a video where a woman had said she used it on her face before she went to bed. Since I did have it left and it didn't work for my hair type (made it greasy and stringy), I figured I'd give it a shot.

I don't have super acne prone skin, but I do have some problem areas, mostly around the sides of my mouth and chin, and at 33, my skin is starting to show signs of it's age.

The first night I tried the Argan Oil on my face, I was a bit hesitant because, let's face it, from what I know of biology, oil on your face usually doesn't end well. But I was very pleasantly surprised when I woke up in the morning and the couple trouble spots I had the day before actually looked more clear! And my skin appeared very soft and supple!

It's not a magic wand, but it does help :0) I use mine only at night, then awake to healthy looking skin! Love this product and will definitely be repurchasing!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2011 8:08:00 PM More reviews by smalljd

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Overall, I love argan oil. It is wondeful on my skin if I travel to somewhere with a dry climate or in cold weather. It also works great on the ends of my hair after blow drying or flat ironing.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/13/2011 8:55:00 PM More reviews by lemon_tree

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

I've been using this on and off for about a month and so far I'm liking it and will continue to use it. At night at least. First used it only at night, 2 to 5 drops mixed in with my moisturizer (ren) and in the morning I do notice a difference. Sometimes I'll go to bed with my face kind of blotchy and irritated/dry and when I wake up in the morning, my face is a lot clearer and smoother. Now that it's winter my skin has gotten a lot drier so I've started using it mixed in with my day time moisturizer too. The strange thing is I've noticed little bumps on my skin lately. I'm not sure if it's this product or something else. Maybe it's possible to use too much of this stuff?
UPDATE 1/8/12: I dialed it down to using 1-2 drops mixed with my nighttime moisturizer and bumps have disappeared. I definitely like this oil and will continue using it. I think it really helps with my dry skin and evening out skin tone. My new clarisonic may have something to do with those improvements too tho, im not sure!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/17/2011 5:31:00 PM More reviews by KatieBatieFoFatie

I was lucky enough to get the 4 oz during the VIB sale last week so this is the first time I have ever used the biggest bottle with the pump. I don't know why so many people have been saying the pump wastes so much product, because I find it very easy to control how much of the oils dispensed. I apply this as a night time moisturizer and I wake up without my skin feeling tight or dry. I also feel good knowing I'm putting an organic product on my skin that does not have anything harmful in it, as my skin is very sensitive! Over priced for sure....but great nonetheless.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/17/2011 4:25:00 PM More reviews by dorcasgood

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought the small sample size from Sephora. It's great for spot treating the random dry patches that pop-up during the winter. It also comes in handy when I run out of my night cream.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/15/2011 12:43:00 PM More reviews by MissJules25

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

*the sound of the gates to heaven opening*! After years of suffering with jawline acne and hormonal breakouts around my chin and mouth I have found Josie Maran's Argan Oil. In the space of 2 weeks my skin has brightened and my breakouts have largely dissapeared. As well as clearing my breakouts, my pores have closed, my skin feels like velvet and is plump and glowing. I have been asked a few times 'what make-up am I wearing' but it is simply that I have used the Argan Oil in the morning.
The only reason this isn't a 5 is that when I use it more than 4 days in a row or twice a day I see little white heads/ bumps forming. But they go away quickly. You just need to be selective about when you use it. Also, it claims to get rid of pigmentation/discolouration but that is the only thing I haven't found it helps with. I don't care though. I haven't had a breakout for an entire month! I highly recommend this Argan Oil for breakout prone/sensitive skin or un-even skin!

Just for the record, I use it in combination with Burt's Bee's Blemish Solution Cleanser and Liz Earle's Hot Cloth cleanser.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2011 6:04:00 PM More reviews by gymgi

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Olive, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this stuff!!! My hyper pigmentation is almost gone! Been using this for about 6 months now off and on, until last several months everyday. I had started with the JM SPF 40+ in morning, but my face felt dry. So I started using JM pure argan oil in morning and at night and I am so glad I did! The elasticity under my eyes looks tighter, face looks hydrated, and my Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation goes over my face soooo nicely!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2011 12:33:00 PM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

UPDATE (2013-07): not used in ages, and to be honest, not missed it. Been using meadowfoam seed oil on face and (virgin) coconut oil on hair (on dry hair, left on for 1 hour before regular wash & condition). Both are cheaper, and work at least as But: definitely one (of the many, many, many) plant-derived oils that are worth trying: YMMV as ever; many like it; who knows, you might be another.

Yes, argan oil is fashionable and faddy. It's an oil. It'll moisturise. As with all oils, and anything else, YMMV. A lightweight oil, light yellow-gold colour with a slight earthy smell. Similar viscosity, texture, fluidity, feel to oils like sunflower or mineral; not as light or dry as grapeseed, nor as heavy as almond, let alone olive. Features good (in human skin terms) balance of fatty acids and high doses of antioxidants. I decanted mine into an amber glass bottle with plastic pump-tops: more practical than droppers/rubber squeezy droppers; while not completely sealed, they're airtight, vs. removing the top every time.

QUICK PROS
Does the job of moisturising, without irritation or clogging (YMMV). Good on hair. No clogging or irritation.

QUICK CONS
There are some serious rip-off merchants out there: Josie Maran the most blatant. List of sample prices at end of review. I tested out samples of some cheap ones and some expensive ones, inc. Josie Maran. Aside from slight differences in immediate smell--which fade rapidly--the results on skin and hair have been the same. Testing period: nearly 4 months (mid-July to early November).

USE ON SKIN:
Moisturises, but other (cheaper) oils work as well. If other oils haven't worked for you, worth adding to your list of things to try.
1. Used on top of rosehip seed oil, on any drier patches of skin.

2. Tested out on some minor eczema (stress, work, the usual boring causes): calmed well and moisturised. I used the oil alone, and I also used it under my usual stage 1 eczema stuff (A-Derma): works better than that cream on its own.

USE ON HAIR:
1. Pre-shampoo oil treatment: no difference in results, compared to using other oils. As it's quite a thin dry oil and I have long fine thick hair, economically unviable. Preferred oils for this: the ones that actually do something useful to hair: avocado, jojoba, olive (coconut works too, but not good on my scalp and neck). But all of these (except jojoba) are too heavy to use on my hair, cos it's fine; though fine as hair-product ingredients, in moderation. But: argan mixed with olive, jojoba, or avocado works very nicely. Also, cheaper than argan alone.

2. 1-2 drops mixed with conditioner: great: either as a pre-wash (for the condition-wash-condition method, on long hair) or when conditioning or both.

3. A tiny drop just applied to the very ends of towel-dried hair, before usual styling product. From trial and error, I've figured out that on this hair anyway that has to be the minutest of teeny droplets; any more and hair greases up. I'd tried this before with other oils, and even the lightest of those that do actually do anything to hair were too heavy and greasebally. Argan or the argan/olive mix has a better finish on my (fine) hair; lighter, finer, more fluid. Bonus: I've needed less and less de-frizz stuff afterwards. Now using none: argan alone, or the argan mix, defrizzes. I leave hair to dry naturally, and it's naturally slightly wavy with some tendencies to frizz. There's been noticeably less of that. Which means saving money on my expensive anti-frizz stuff.

THINGS TO WATCH OUT FOR
Avoid being ripped off: ALL argan oil is sustainably-produced, organic, hand-crafted, and fair-trade. The trees only grow in a certain area of Morocco, protected by UNESCO biosphere mandate. The nuts are gathered and processed, and the oil produced and sold on, by Moroccan women's cooperatives (with UNESCO, EU, and SDA support). They have a global monopoly. All the bigger western companies (ex. this one) selling argan oil and argan oil-based products buy their oil from these cooperatives, c/o the intermediary of a small number of brokers and shippers. Except for a few small companies--mainly Moroccan and French + some US wholesalers--buying straight from the coops, skipping the intermediate stage and buying cheaper as more directly. In all cases: there's a markup along the way.

SOME PRICES:
In order of price per ounce. All prices are in USD: CAD tend to be higher (ex. JMO, where USD38.00 somehow works out as CAD50.00) + shipping.

Majestic Mountain Sage: $8.45/4 oz-$26.00/16 oz = $1.65-2.11 / oz

Mountain Rose Herbs: $17.00/4 oz-$49.00/16 oz = $3.06-4.25 / oz

Lotioncrafter: $9.20/1 oz-$47.60/8 oz = $5.95-9.20 / oz

Argan Oil and More: $9.99/1 oz-$54.99/8 oz = $6.87-9.99 / oz

Garden of Wisdom: $8.20/1 oz, $60.50/8 oz. = $7.56-8.20 / oz

Argana / Argan Oil Direct: $13.10/1.18 oz-$39.32/140 ml = $6.42-11.34 / oz

MUAC: $10.00/1 oz, $32.00/4.5 oz = $7.11-10.00 / oz

Watts c/o Amazon: $13.45/1 oz-$27.45/4 oz = $6.86-13.45 / oz

The Posh Peddler (who is alleged to maybe supply Josie Maran): $9.95/1 oz-$48.95/6 oz (3 x 2 oz bottles), lower prices for bulk = $8.18-9.95 / oz

Melvita: $25.00/1.7 oz = $15.00 / oz