July 26, 2014 | 1565 users online

Foundations - Make Up For Ever - HD High Definition Foundation

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/24/2008 2:48:00 PM More reviews by pmnixa

I've been using this off and on for a few weeks. I use shade 115 and it's not as light as I was assuming - about equivalent to NW20 in MAC, darker than Blush Ivory in LM's Oil Free (my regular, mixed with a little Warm Ivory). I don't have any skin reactions to this foundation (breakouts, red bumps) that I sometimes can get from some foundations (like mineral foundations and LM's Silk Creme). The coverage is medium but you can apply in a thin layer and add another layer if you need more coverage. Also, the full coverage concealer is a very good complement to this foundation. I have it in shade "4" and it's about the same intensity, just a bit more ivory and less pink than the foundation. The finish is not matte, but not dewy either, I'd say it's natural. The finish stays nice (doesn't turn shiny) all day. I have no problems removing this with Ponds makeup remover wipes. Staying power is very good with this one - doesn't come off when you touch your face.

Update: I found that this was causing small bumps on my forehead.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/23/2008 12:34:00 PM More reviews by Enigmaa

I really wanted to like this but it is just not for me. It failed to provide great coverage yet it looks heavy on the skin at the same time. I'm used to having a lot to cover because my skin isn't so great, so I've used many medium to full coverage foundations before. But this one just "sat" there on my skin and looked terrible in photos. Doesn't do a thing for smoothing out the texture of your skin.

I chose the color 110 for my very pale, neutral skin (N3 in MAC Studio Fix). It was a bit pink but was a decent match.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2008 11:58:00 PM More reviews by zoeferret

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love this foundation. It gives me an really nice satin finish and covers really well with layering. It has a smooth texture that doesn't cake up. I like that it looks 'natural' but still provides coverage. It also doesn't break me out. I did have a hard time finding the correct shade. I would try something and eh, it worked but didn't look quite right- the tone, shade was slightly off. I am a MAC NC35- for referacne which is not even 100% true match for me, just close.
I was matched with
120 (for medium light skin with yellow undertones) - which was a little too light and look funny- too yellow?
127( medium skin with yellow undertones) - shade was fine but again it looked a little off- yellow?
125 (for light skin with beige undertones)- still off, looks ok, it could pass but maybe a bit beige
130 (for medium light skin with beige pink undertones) - shade was fine- but off too beige/pink and looked funny
155( for medium skin with dark beige undertones) - way too dark and the color was off.
Then my DH commented my skin tone was a little olive toned. Never thought on my skin tone that way but all the other color's I have tried were too beige, pink or yellow. I finally tried out 123 which is described as for light skin with olive undertones and it was a 100% perfect match. I looks really good, matches my neck and chest, makes my skin look normal- without any off tones- Again no one ever picked that shade for me and I never thought of myself with olive undertones. I remember getting matched at the MAC counter and being steered away from the C shades because the MA insisted I was more golden beige than yellow olive. Maybe it's becuase I am asian and evevyone asumes my skin tone is more beige/yellow/warm?

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2008 9:33:00 PM More reviews by evakser

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am brand new to Make Up Forever, just recently tried some of their products. Iíve been looking for a good foundation (again) and so far, I really love the Make Up Forever foundations. I have tried both Face and Body, and also the HD Invisible Foundation. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them!
Here is my take on this product:

Consistency: The consistency of the HD Invisible Cover Foundation is a thick liquid, no lumps. Texture is smooth and silky. Glides right on and I blend it in with my fingers. Very pleasant to apply, feels almost like a liquid to powder finish. A little goes a long way. Very little is needed to cover well.

Coverage: Buildable, smooth and flawless. Natural looking finish, does not feel dry or tight. Glides on like a second skin. Feels light and moisturizing. FYI- I do always wear a primer (Cargo Blu-Ray HD Mattifier) - not sure if this makes any difference in the application process or staying power, but thatís just my routine.

Colors: Many shades to choose from. But they have a weird color numbering system which seems to make no sense to anyone but them! I am NC or NW 20 / 25 (winter / summer) and the color I was matched to is Dark Sand #127. Most women can probably find more than 1 shade as a match since these really blend in and melt right into the skin.

Staying Power: Excellent. I donít know if this is water resistant. But it holds up very well on hot humid days (the middle of summer in NJ). Foundation looked fresh at the end of the day. I do not use powder to set, but they have an HD Powder as part of this product line, which I did not buy. Itís probably not necessary for me but my skin is combination in T-zone, dry everywhere else. I sometimes use BE Mineral Veil but I still have so much of it as I hardly ever use it, I probably will not purchase the powder.

Price- Yes, it is a bit high, but Iíve used other high end foundations such as DiorSkin Forever Extreme Wear Foundation, which cost just about the same, but in my opinion, the HD Invisible Cover is a superior product to most others and I have tried many Ė High end, lower end and in between. I also love the MUF Face & Body.

Packaging- Nice simple pump bottle. What more can a girl ask for?

Scent: There is a light scent, does not bother me at all. I can't describe it, itís not unpleasant. It dissipates quickly. I do not smell it at all after I put it on. Those with extremely sensitive noses may want to try a sample first.

Summary:
This is another excellent foundation from MUF. It did not break me out, but I am not usually prone to that. My skin is normally on the drier side, but this does not emphasize any flakey bits on me. Hopefully, it will be just as good in the dead of winter when my skin turns into petrified flaky mess... LOL. For those with very sensitive skin, you may want to try a sample first. Very happy with this foundation! Definite re-purchase for me. HG status along with the MUF Face & Body Foundation (see my review on that one, too)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2008 9:07:00 PM More reviews by luv4taffy

My friend recommended the Velvet Matte foundation, went to Sephora got a sample and tried it while I liked it and was about to purchase the full size the lady in Sehora advised me it was alittle to drying for me because it was made for more oily skin. She then showed me the HD foundation and I am soooooooooooooo loving it. I have been wearing mineral makeup for about 3 years now and wanted to switch to liquid for the colder months. This foundation is awesome. I was matched to color 128 and while I was afraid it was going to be too dark it was a perfect match. I have not used a concealer with this product and it has covered my imperfections and lasted all day. I have a few brken capilaries on the side of mynose and it does a great job of covering them up. It does not feel heavy on the face and alittle goes a long way. I uses my Everyday Minerals flat top brush to apply. I pump the foundation on the back of my hand tap the brush in the foundation and tap on my face and then blend. It goes on beautifully and evenly this way. (trick I learned from watching Kim Kardashian) It is pricey at about $40.00 but I am so happy with it that I would buy it again...also the trick I learned with this foundation is to apply it before your moisturizer completely drys. Ladies I defintely think that this is worth you trying. If you are lucky enought to be by a Sephora stop in let them match you and ask for a sample to take home and try.

Oooops forgot to tell you this stuff does a great job of minimizing pores.
Loving it!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2008 9:45:00 PM More reviews by thesavagefamily

I wanted to like this foundation--I was looking for smooth, even coverage that feels light on the skin. This foundation was heavy, thick, too creamy and did not do its job. I much prefer my Chanel TI cream foundation or my DDF Enhancing Suncreen SPF 30 which has been my foundation of choice for the Summer months (along with Benefit That Gal). I applied it with my fingers, with my foundation brush, then with my skunk brush. I prefered the method of the skunk brush, but it was still too heavy for my combo skin. Maybe if I were used to a heavier coverage foundation I would have loved it, but this one is not for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2008 4:50:00 PM More reviews by evakser

Here is my take on this product:

Packaging- Nice simple pump bottle. What more can a girl ask for?

Summary:

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2008 2:08:00 PM More reviews by NJ

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have oily skin, so I apply Peter thomas roth max anti shine matifying gel as a primer before applying this foundation. Then I apply a setting powder. The result, my face looks brightened without looking overdone with makeup. It has not clogged my pores or cause any break outs so far. The condition of my skin actually looks good even after I take off my makeup and I think it may be because of the added moisture in the foundation.
UPDATE: My skin is Fair Medium. I have this foundation in 118 and it seems too dark for my skintone. I mixed this foundation with my Bobbi Brown Skin foundation in Porcelian and it's definately the perfect color for my skin. Bobbi Brown is also a HD foundation so the mix of the two is picture perfect dewy skin and still does not look over done. The foundation lasts longer too on my oily skin. I love both foundations and will repurchase both.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/10/2008 11:57:00 PM More reviews by sabine

i'm so bummed cuz i wanted to LOVE this. i was looking forward to it hitting the stores for months ("forever" - no pun intended!) and bought it immediately when i saw it. the coverage is GREAT and a little goes a long way, but 1.5 hours later and you're an oily mess! i don't even have oily skin (it's combo at worst). i was so disappointed. i tried applying it so many different ways/methods/setting powders/primers and alwyas ended up with eth same result - oily mess. glad it's working for everyone else, though! must say that packaging is quite sleek and color options are superb, however!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/10/2008 8:52:00 PM More reviews by silkyskin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I was SO excited to pick this up. I've read great reviews on it, and thought there was NO way I could go wrong with it. Wrong wrong wrong. The color match was dead on, and I appreciate that (!!) because I am very fair but have yellow undertones, not pink, and apparently that is uncommon because almost no other makeup line has something that's fair enough and also yellow-based. So one lippie for that. But the foundation itself was terrible. It applied nicely with my foundation brush, and I was able to blend it well. But it looked terrible!! It just sort of sat there. After a few minutes I noticed it had 'set' some, but most of it had clung to my pores making it look like I had a million little foundation dots on my face! And I used it over a primer, and it just looked cakey-very unnatural. It provided almost no coverage for a couple of blemishes I had and it accentuated the few flakes I had (I didn't know were there til I had applied this). Maybe it would be good for stage makeup or costume makeup, but not for daily wear. I gave it another lippie for the fantastic pump dispenser. Very hygienic and user-friendly. Maybe I'll give it another shot, but only because everyone else seems to really love it...