August 27, 2014 | 1484 users online

Foundations - Make Up For Ever - HD High Definition Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 10/19/2008 10:06:00 PM More reviews by kuby007

I've been using this for a couple of weeks now and so far I like it! I developed horrible little bumps on my forehead and jawline from Bare Escentuals so I switched to this and it seems to be better suited for my skin since the bumps are going away. I like that it doesn't make me look made up but still provides good coverage and doesn't make your face look slimey even after hours of wear. Some people use a kabuki brush to apply but it uses up so much product. One pump is enough for me as long as i spread it out and make sure that I'm well moisturized underneath, and I have really uneven skin with red post-acne marks. I just wish they had a shade in between 110 and 115 since I wear 115 and it seems just a tad too dark for me but 110 is too light. But I shouldn't complain since they do have a wide selection of shades. Highly recommended!!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2008 7:10:00 PM More reviews by gooddisaster

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I can't believe I forgot to write a review for this... This is the first product I'd dare to declare a HG staple.

This is a lovely foundation, plain and simple. Great coverage, moisturizing, excellent lasting power, looks and feels like nothing on the skin. I paid full price for this because I couldn't wait for Sephora F&F, and I don't regret the $40 price one bit.

Most other reviews agree that this is moisturizing--and most of those that aren't liking this have oily skin--but I've seen a few that say it isn't moisturizing because it's oil-free. Yes, it's oil-free, but that doesn't mean that it's *not* moisturizing. I'm young but have sensitive, dry skin. For the most part it's pretty smooth without any especially dry/rough patches, except maybe in the winter. This foundation looks just like perfect bare skin. I can definitely notice the moisturizing effects throughout the day. My skin feels comfortable, hydrated and soft all day when I wear this. Initially it has a satin finish. After a few hours (5, maybe?) it starts to look slightly dewy on me--something that doesn't usually happen because my skin is so dry--but never oily. I've worn this for 12 hours at a time, and my face looks and feels clean and fresh all day. Just don't expect a miracle if you do have dry patches--those will always look a little dry/flakey with foundation on top no matter what foundation you use.

I've been using this several weeks, and I'm happy to report that it hasn't irritated my skin one bit. No breakouts, no clogged pores, no extra redness or sensitivity... This does contain fragrance, but I honestly didn't notice it, and even that hasn't caused any problems for me.

I apply this with my 187 brush. The coverage is pretty good, IMO. I mainly use foundation because I have a lot of redness due to my sensitive skin. This covers it up very well. I don't know how this would fare in covering scars or acne marks, but I think it's buildable. I use two tiny pumps because I don't need a lot of coverage... I just push until I get a drop of foundation to come out. I do that twice, so it's maybe a third to half of a full pump for my entire face. I set it with Coastal Scents Silica Powder Spheres, a MUFE HD powder dupe that costs about 1/20 (yes, 95% less!) of MUFE's price.

This wears amazingly throughout the day and doesn't budge. Surprisingly, it's pretty easy to wash off, and I don't need to use an oil-based cleanser or makeup remover to take it off. This also washes out of my brush easily without staining. (I use Dove liquid soap to clean it, and the tips of my 187 are still white.)

I'm Eurasian and have fair-light skin with strong yellow undertones, and I wear shade 117 (Marble). It's an excellent match for me. To me, it doesn't look particularly yellow in the bottle, but once it's on my skin, it doesn't look off like a lot foundation does. No pink/orange cast, and it doesn't change colors on me as the day goes on. (If you need help figuring out your shade and know your shade in a different MUFE foundation, the MUFE HD shade finder on Sephora's site lists "foundation alternatives" for all but two of the HD shades. Just estimate what shades you think you'd be, click them and see if your other foundation shade is an equivalent to the HD one you picked!)

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/18/2008 11:07:00 PM More reviews by klprice1

i like how this stuff looks but i get shiny REALLY quick with this stuff. it has great coverage, and it lasts, but i notice that within an hour i look oily. i prefer lancome's teint idole foundation.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/18/2008 9:40:00 PM More reviews by kmae

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got color matched at Sephora.
For reference I am an NC35, and HD #123. This shade matches me perfectly. I brought a sample home before deciding to buy it. When I got home, I accidently put way too much of the sample on my brush and way too much on my face. Even though there was so much make up on my face it felt weightless! After blending it with my MAC 188 brush, I felt like I wasn't wearing any foundation at all! It was amazing! Of course, it did look cakey because there was so much on my face but that was my own fault. But having so much on my face without feeling like I'm wearing anything at all... wow! A little goes along way with this product. I have hyperpigmentation due to acne and it does an awesome job covering it up. I just apply a little extra in certain areas so I don't need a concealer which is a great thing because thats something less I need to buy. As far as the staying power of this foundation. I love it. I have oily skin and it does an awesome job staying put. I do have blot my Tzone down later during the day, but thats expected. $40 for a foundation is expensive, but I have spent more than that on a single foundation before, and considering how much I need to apply $40 really isn't much because I don't need a lot, plus I don't need to buy a concealer.

BUT!! Unfortunately... after a month of using the foundation it caused me to break out really bad! It's really sad because I really loved this foundation.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2008 9:31:00 PM More reviews by rpgoodwin

I got a very generous sample of this at Sephora and have used it for two days now. I found a good color match in 120 for my medium-fair yellow-toned skin. This foundation has a thin, almost watery consistency and applies very easily - I just use my fingers, not having the patience or time for a brush or sponge. The coverage is not very good - it did not cover blue undereye circles or red post-acne marks, even with three layers. It has a nice look once it sets, natural and soft. The major downside is that even with oil-control moisturizer and primer, I get oily very fast, within a couple of hours. The foundation stays on but looks kind of gross and greasy.
This would be a good choice for someone who did not need full coverage or oil control, but it did not work for me.
Update: I decided to give this another chance and took the time to apply it carefully with a foundation brush and let it set. It looked a little better but still didn't cover red marks or undereye circles and still got greasy within five hours. Not a winner for me which is actually a good thing in this economy!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2008 6:27:00 PM More reviews by maliastyle

It's been said by many that "high definition" cosmetic products are really just all hype; none of them have actually been formulated with high def in mind, and that when it comes to makeup done for the screen, it's all in the application. Whatever the truth may be, MUFE's High Definition Foundation really is an outstanding product - whether you're planning on making a screen appearance any time soon, or just want beautiful, candlelit, soft-focus skin even when you're just headed for the office on yet another Monday, this is the way to go.

At $43 CDN, it's not the least expensive foundation ever, nor is it the most. It's cased in a plastic pump container that actually distributes, for me, the perfect amount of product. It comes in (I believe) 25 shades to suit nearly every skin tone. For reference, in MAC terms I'm an NC25/NC30, and I wear this in 120, which, according to the SA at my closest MUFE counter, is a bestseller - it suits most light to medium, golden Asian skintones.

I've used this with my fingers, a sponge, a foundation brush, a skunk brush and a kabuki. My favorite way to apply is a tie between the skunk and kabuki. The skunk allows the product to just disappear into the skin and the coverage is a little more sheer. When I use the kabuki, it feels like it covers more, but I still don't look made up; it's still very natural and soft. On my oily skin, this stuff lasts just as long as my other favorites, and I don't have to blot any more or any less than I do with other brands.

So far I've been topping this with a light application of Cargo's version of HD - the Blu Ray powder. It's gorgeous, and not once throughout the day do I feel cakey or gross. MUFE's HD is a really beautiful product, and I highly recommend it!

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/16/2008 8:37:00 PM More reviews by soraya69

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I got a sample of this foundation, and here is what I think of it. I am oily, acne-prone, with some old acne scarring and discolorations to cover. My HG is EL DW, in every way. I can honestly say that these 2 foundations are similar, coverage-wise, I think I found a better color match in MUFE than in DW (Ecru). The reason I wouldn't buy this foundation is that, unlike DW, it doesn't keep the oil at bay. I cannot say it made me a grease pit, but I did have to blot many times today. With DW, I blot only twice. Otherwise it is a good foundation, I would recommend it for someone with normal/combination skin.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/16/2008 11:02:00 AM More reviews by shanidy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

My skin:I have combination skin that is oily in the tzone and normal everywhere else. I am very pale with neutral undertones. I am generally too pale for many foundation lines. I purchased this is 110...the lightest shade.

I had high hopes for this one...due to the board raves. The color match was great, and the packaging is pleasant with a pump. The product, however, was not so lovely. The foundation didn't apply smoothly and sat in my pores. I looked like I had teeny pools of foundation instead of an even, pretty coat. I tried this with BE prime time primer, Shiseido SPF 55, the MUFE HD primer and Mac Prep and Prime. I applied it with a brush, a sponge, and a kabuki. None of these methods seemed any better than the rest. I didn't have trouble with oil, which was nice...but that's about all of the good that I can say. I would suggest a sample first if you can get your hands on one. Otherwise...I would save your $40...

rated 2 of 5 on 10/15/2008 8:49:00 PM More reviews by stellartois

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I DO NOT like this product and I'm sooo disappointed because I really wanted to. First of all, it's not very suited to people with oily skin like myself. Halfway through the day, it's settled into every pore on my face and creased like mad around my eyes. It also makes my face feel greasy and shiney and I think it's just too thin and watery to offer a nice, matte finish. The color match is OK. I bought the 120 and I'm normally about an NW 20 in MAC. Overall, the coverage is too sheer, it creases and settles too much and makes my skin feel even greasier. Bleh. $40 wasted!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2008 2:04:00 AM More reviews by RavenBeauty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was a very nice surprise for me. I am a foundation junkie having tried several from drugstore brands to the highest end foundations available. I keep going back to my old stand by (Estee Lauder's Double Wear or Estee Lauder's Maximum Cover), but as I grow older, I am finding those to be too cakey and too harsh looking now. I want to go soft and natural, yet I need full coverage and I'm super oily and very pale. I had heard good things about this one so I bought this in the lightest shade (110). I also bought their HD primer in green because I have a lot of red in my skin. Both products work beautifully together. The primer did take some of the red out (not all). It smoothed my skin down beautifully and got it ready for this lovely concoction (helped to control my oily skin as well).

This goes on smooth and silky and looks like a full coverage foundation without that heavy feeling which was a welcome change for me. It won't cover like an industrial type full coverage foundation, but it will cover a great deal nonetheless (and the trade off is that you get very decent coverage without looking mask like and cakey). I was surprised at how natural this looks and how well it covers! You can build it in area's where you need some extra coverage and it really doesn't cake! My skin looked almost perfect and yet it looked like my own skin which I am definitely not used to. I used a light touch of concealer in the area's that I had a few blemishes (still trying to clear my skin from the damage that Shiseido's suncream did to me last week after only one usage)!

I am super pale (think Anne Hathaway/Nicole Kidman) and shade 110 was perfect! It matched my pale skin beautifully without making me look garish or sickly. Best of all, hours later my foundation still looked beautiful and natural! It did not get super oily or slide off my face (and I have very oily skin). The final test was taking this off with plain old soap and water and having no trace of make up or any signs of break out or irritation. This may be what have I been looking for. Very nice (and so natural looking even in the light of day)!

Edit: A make up artist mentioned that he sometimes adds a little bit of MUFU's Full Cover concealer in the tube to boost the coverage of this foundation. Because Full Cover is not the traditional greasy type concealer and is water based, it works! It gives this foundation more coverage and yet it adds no more oil or anything (in fact it helps to mattify a bit)! Just add a little Full Cover in with some of the foundation, mix it together in your hands and apply the foundation like you normally would and you get all the full coverage you need! It makes this foundation more opaque and takes the oil down a bit. Perfection for me on days where my face is not looking it's best!

20 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No