July 30, 2014 | 1335 users online

Foundations - Make Up For Ever - HD High Definition Foundation

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/16/2008 11:02:00 AM More reviews by shanidy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

My skin:I have combination skin that is oily in the tzone and normal everywhere else. I am very pale with neutral undertones. I am generally too pale for many foundation lines. I purchased this is 110...the lightest shade.

I had high hopes for this one...due to the board raves. The color match was great, and the packaging is pleasant with a pump. The product, however, was not so lovely. The foundation didn't apply smoothly and sat in my pores. I looked like I had teeny pools of foundation instead of an even, pretty coat. I tried this with BE prime time primer, Shiseido SPF 55, the MUFE HD primer and Mac Prep and Prime. I applied it with a brush, a sponge, and a kabuki. None of these methods seemed any better than the rest. I didn't have trouble with oil, which was nice...but that's about all of the good that I can say. I would suggest a sample first if you can get your hands on one. Otherwise...I would save your $40...

rated 2 of 5 on 10/15/2008 8:49:00 PM More reviews by stellartois

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I DO NOT like this product and I'm sooo disappointed because I really wanted to. First of all, it's not very suited to people with oily skin like myself. Halfway through the day, it's settled into every pore on my face and creased like mad around my eyes. It also makes my face feel greasy and shiney and I think it's just too thin and watery to offer a nice, matte finish. The color match is OK. I bought the 120 and I'm normally about an NW 20 in MAC. Overall, the coverage is too sheer, it creases and settles too much and makes my skin feel even greasier. Bleh. $40 wasted!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2008 2:04:00 AM More reviews by RavenBeauty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was a very nice surprise for me. I am a foundation junkie having tried several from drugstore brands to the highest end foundations available. I keep going back to my old stand by (Estee Lauder's Double Wear or Estee Lauder's Maximum Cover), but as I grow older, I am finding those to be too cakey and too harsh looking now. I want to go soft and natural, yet I need full coverage and I'm super oily and very pale. I had heard good things about this one so I bought this in the lightest shade (110). I also bought their HD primer in green because I have a lot of red in my skin. Both products work beautifully together. The primer did take some of the red out (not all). It smoothed my skin down beautifully and got it ready for this lovely concoction (helped to control my oily skin as well).

This goes on smooth and silky and looks like a full coverage foundation without that heavy feeling which was a welcome change for me. It won't cover like an industrial type full coverage foundation, but it will cover a great deal nonetheless (and the trade off is that you get very decent coverage without looking mask like and cakey). I was surprised at how natural this looks and how well it covers! You can build it in area's where you need some extra coverage and it really doesn't cake! My skin looked almost perfect and yet it looked like my own skin which I am definitely not used to. I used a light touch of concealer in the area's that I had a few blemishes (still trying to clear my skin from the damage that Shiseido's suncream did to me last week after only one usage)!

I am super pale (think Anne Hathaway/Nicole Kidman) and shade 110 was perfect! It matched my pale skin beautifully without making me look garish or sickly. Best of all, hours later my foundation still looked beautiful and natural! It did not get super oily or slide off my face (and I have very oily skin). The final test was taking this off with plain old soap and water and having no trace of make up or any signs of break out or irritation. This may be what have I been looking for. Very nice (and so natural looking even in the light of day)!

Edit: A make up artist mentioned that he sometimes adds a little bit of MUFU's Full Cover concealer in the tube to boost the coverage of this foundation. Because Full Cover is not the traditional greasy type concealer and is water based, it works! It gives this foundation more coverage and yet it adds no more oil or anything (in fact it helps to mattify a bit)! Just add a little Full Cover in with some of the foundation, mix it together in your hands and apply the foundation like you normally would and you get all the full coverage you need! It makes this foundation more opaque and takes the oil down a bit. Perfection for me on days where my face is not looking it's best!

20 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2008 1:08:00 AM More reviews by fifi_kitten

this is an absolute HG product for me. i'm a true PPP with acne prone sensitive skin, around an NW15ish, slightlty lighter depending on the season, so its nearly impossible for me to find a HG foundation. if i find a good color match, the formulas terrible or it breaks me out, and if i find one with a perfect formula, the colors are always too dark. i've tried tons of foundations, high and low end, and still haven't found the perfect one yet. but this flash color completely changes that. i use this as a way to lighten foundations. just a tiny little dab mixed in with a blob of too dark foundation before you apply is all you need. and the best part is, it doesn't change the formula of the foundation at all. a lot of other color adjusters are liquid so they make a lot of foundations too runny and basically destroy any coverage the foundation offers. not this. i can finally search for the best foundation formula for my skin without having to worry about whether or not the colors will be light enough for me. i just take a tiny dab of this (i use a toothpick to pick it up), spread it on a palette, squeeze some foundation on top, and mix with my brush. its that simple. and best of all-it doesn't break me out. i haven't used it for anything else, so i can't comment on other uses. its about $17 for a fairly large tub of .24 oz. i'm sure there are cheaper options in other theatrical makeup brands, however i haven't tried them. but i wouldn't mind paying the $17, since such a little amount works, i'll have this tub forever. definitely a must have for any PPP that struggles to find matching foundations.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/12/2008 2:56:00 PM More reviews by RebeccaD

I've been using this foundation for about a month, & I really do like it. It doesn't give me the incredible flawless look that some people are getting, but it is a pretty good foundation. For reference, I have combo skin. HD applies smoothly & evenly & blends very easily. It provides good coverage for me as well - it evens me out & covers redness, etc. without looking cakey. It wears very well throughout the day, too. While oil-free, the foundation does not control oilies as well as I'd like. It doesn't leave me with pools of oil on my face, but I definitely find my skin a bit oilier by mid-day than I do w/ my usual foundations. I actually find LM's oil-free to work a bit better in this department. Still, I really like the overall effect this foundation gives my skin. It looks even, & other than the mid-day oilies my skin has a fresh glow to it. I like the pump packaging. It's easy to lightly pump out the perfect amount for my face, & so far I haven't had problems w/ the pump sticking. I have light skin w/ yellow undertone, & shade #117 (Marble) matches me perfectly. I think this foundation is definitely worth trying, though if you have very oily skin or large pores, this foundation might accentuate both.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/12/2008 1:52:00 AM More reviews by KrisSeals

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I just thought I'd clarify, this is not a MOISTURIZING foundation like alot of you are posting. It is oil free, and it works best on oily combination or skin that has been freshly moisturized. You will not achieve the "near skin" like effect with dry patches. This is one of the best I have seen, when applied correctly. I recommend using the MUFE kabuki brush since it is made of nylon fibers which makes it possible to get that airbrushed finish with a liquid foundation. This is the way we were taught in the MUFE pro class by a mufe national artist and if you do it on one side and then try a foundation brush or your fingers onthe other side, you will be floored by the difference. Hope this helps!!

15 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2008 5:10:00 AM More reviews by jennstarr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this foundation. I have combo skin, and I will say that when I have dry patches, it does initially make them stand out a bit. What I particularly love is the color matches really well (153-a definite yellow/olive medium tone) which for me is half the battle. It blends like a dream (I use the Shu Goat 16DF brush - which is NOT a foundation brush, but works well for me - I then follow with an oval sponge to smooth everything out). I use a tiny bit of powder over it, and I swear it looks like clean skin....not bare, but not cakey and like traditional foundation. Photographs really nicely too.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/11/2008 12:30:00 AM More reviews by FadetoSparkle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Make Up For Ever has the best foundation line out there. However, I don't feel this is as great as their other foundations. My main issue is that it doesn't have staying power. It seems to give a mask like appearance & makes me extra greasy looking while caking on any dry spot on your face. I also don't find that it photographs any better than their foundations either. It looks no different than face & body in a picture. It has the potential to be a great foundation but personally they've missed the mark on it for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2008 9:18:00 PM More reviews by JeanineH

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm a little weary of writing a review for this product just because I love it so much. It seems like every time I write a review for a product, something goes wrong with it. But anyway, let's get to the point.

I first saw this foundation on the Sephora Website, labeled "Best Seller Overall" for liquid foundations. This grabbed my attention, along with how it supposedly covered like a great foundation, but stayed completely natural looking even in daylight. I did NOT think that this could be possible, so I kept looking for another foundation that seemed more realistic.

After not finding anything on the website, I went to Sephora for a consultation in search for the perfect product for me. To my surprise, the rep directed me straight to the foundation that I had looked at a week before: Make Up For Ever HD Foundation. Skeptical, I asked if she would apply it for me so I could see how it worked after spotting the $40 price tag. She applied this foundation with a cosmetic sponge (not the one the product is recommended with) and an extremely light hand. At the time, my skin was incredibly dry due to my acne medication, so I knew that the way she would be applying the makeup wouldn't be right, anyway. She applied it rather sheerly, which I did not like. I did get a sample, though. When I got home, I decided to give it another go. I cleansed my face, patted it dry, and added a little bit of moisturizer because of my dry skin. I don't recommend this for everyone, because the foundation itself is very moisturizing. Using my fingertips, I blended this foundation effortlessly into my skin, all over....

Let me tell you, ladies. If you are looking for a flawless coverage that is nearly undetectable, you will love this. Go to Sephora, and instead of getting them to apply it for you, just have them make up a sample for you to take home. You will see a difference the instant that it touches your fingers. The formula is water based and noncomedogenic, so it is gentle to your skin, moisturizing, and won't clog pores. I was very surprised at how thin and creamy this was. It gave a very dewy, healthy looking finish and covered everything that I wanted it to. It brightened my eyes, completely concealed acne scarring and current blemishes, and my redness was gone. It is also pretty waterproof if used with the MUFE HD powder. I even went outside with a mirror, and viola! My skin still looked great. Dream come true. It does have a $40 price tag which was nearly twice the price of my bare minerals, but it's well worth it if you want to have beautiful skin. In my opinion, I prefer this WAY over Bare Minerals. Amen.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2008 5:41:00 PM More reviews by Mojie

I really wanted to love this foundation in spite of having more foundation that I can realistically use already. I've had good results with MUFE's HD loose powder and based on the good reviews here on MUA, I thought this would be a sure-fire winner.

After reading reviews here, I ordered this in 115 Ivory (I wear NW20 in MAC currently, but have worn NW15 in the recent past) since the Porcelain color seemed too light and pink for me. That was a good choice. The color match for me in Ivory was pretty good, but I could have gone just a tiny, tiny bit darker and it would have looked more natural.

The coverage of this foundation is medium with 2 squirts, light but enough for my needs with 1 squirt. It has a thicker consistency than a lot of the MAC foundations I've tried and a small squirt doesn't look like much until it's spread out over the skin. It's easy to think you need more than you really do with this stuff!

I just wasn't impressed with the way this looked on me. I applied it both with my fingers and with a MAC foundation brush and both gave an OK result. The foundation really accentuated any dry spots I had on my skin and tended to look cakey on my forehead in spite of my using a light hand to apply it there. It also started showing wear very quickly. Within 15 minutes of my doing nothing but sitting in my living room (not working up a sweat or anything like that), it was starting to wear off unevenly and looked very unflattering.

I returned it to Sephora and I'll be sticking with my MAC Studio Fix Fluid.