July 31, 2014 | 1939 users online

Foundations - Make Up For Ever - HD High Definition Foundation

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2008 9:31:00 PM More reviews by rpgoodwin

I got a very generous sample of this at Sephora and have used it for two days now. I found a good color match in 120 for my medium-fair yellow-toned skin. This foundation has a thin, almost watery consistency and applies very easily - I just use my fingers, not having the patience or time for a brush or sponge. The coverage is not very good - it did not cover blue undereye circles or red post-acne marks, even with three layers. It has a nice look once it sets, natural and soft. The major downside is that even with oil-control moisturizer and primer, I get oily very fast, within a couple of hours. The foundation stays on but looks kind of gross and greasy.
This would be a good choice for someone who did not need full coverage or oil control, but it did not work for me.
Update: I decided to give this another chance and took the time to apply it carefully with a foundation brush and let it set. It looked a little better but still didn't cover red marks or undereye circles and still got greasy within five hours. Not a winner for me which is actually a good thing in this economy!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2008 6:27:00 PM More reviews by maliastyle

It's been said by many that "high definition" cosmetic products are really just all hype; none of them have actually been formulated with high def in mind, and that when it comes to makeup done for the screen, it's all in the application. Whatever the truth may be, MUFE's High Definition Foundation really is an outstanding product - whether you're planning on making a screen appearance any time soon, or just want beautiful, candlelit, soft-focus skin even when you're just headed for the office on yet another Monday, this is the way to go.

At $43 CDN, it's not the least expensive foundation ever, nor is it the most. It's cased in a plastic pump container that actually distributes, for me, the perfect amount of product. It comes in (I believe) 25 shades to suit nearly every skin tone. For reference, in MAC terms I'm an NC25/NC30, and I wear this in 120, which, according to the SA at my closest MUFE counter, is a bestseller - it suits most light to medium, golden Asian skintones.

I've used this with my fingers, a sponge, a foundation brush, a skunk brush and a kabuki. My favorite way to apply is a tie between the skunk and kabuki. The skunk allows the product to just disappear into the skin and the coverage is a little more sheer. When I use the kabuki, it feels like it covers more, but I still don't look made up; it's still very natural and soft. On my oily skin, this stuff lasts just as long as my other favorites, and I don't have to blot any more or any less than I do with other brands.

So far I've been topping this with a light application of Cargo's version of HD - the Blu Ray powder. It's gorgeous, and not once throughout the day do I feel cakey or gross. MUFE's HD is a really beautiful product, and I highly recommend it!

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/16/2008 8:37:00 PM More reviews by soraya69

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I got a sample of this foundation, and here is what I think of it. I am oily, acne-prone, with some old acne scarring and discolorations to cover. My HG is EL DW, in every way. I can honestly say that these 2 foundations are similar, coverage-wise, I think I found a better color match in MUFE than in DW (Ecru). The reason I wouldn't buy this foundation is that, unlike DW, it doesn't keep the oil at bay. I cannot say it made me a grease pit, but I did have to blot many times today. With DW, I blot only twice. Otherwise it is a good foundation, I would recommend it for someone with normal/combination skin.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/16/2008 11:02:00 AM More reviews by shanidy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

My skin:I have combination skin that is oily in the tzone and normal everywhere else. I am very pale with neutral undertones. I am generally too pale for many foundation lines. I purchased this is 110...the lightest shade.

I had high hopes for this one...due to the board raves. The color match was great, and the packaging is pleasant with a pump. The product, however, was not so lovely. The foundation didn't apply smoothly and sat in my pores. I looked like I had teeny pools of foundation instead of an even, pretty coat. I tried this with BE prime time primer, Shiseido SPF 55, the MUFE HD primer and Mac Prep and Prime. I applied it with a brush, a sponge, and a kabuki. None of these methods seemed any better than the rest. I didn't have trouble with oil, which was nice...but that's about all of the good that I can say. I would suggest a sample first if you can get your hands on one. Otherwise...I would save your $40...

rated 2 of 5 on 10/15/2008 8:49:00 PM More reviews by stellartois

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I DO NOT like this product and I'm sooo disappointed because I really wanted to. First of all, it's not very suited to people with oily skin like myself. Halfway through the day, it's settled into every pore on my face and creased like mad around my eyes. It also makes my face feel greasy and shiney and I think it's just too thin and watery to offer a nice, matte finish. The color match is OK. I bought the 120 and I'm normally about an NW 20 in MAC. Overall, the coverage is too sheer, it creases and settles too much and makes my skin feel even greasier. Bleh. $40 wasted!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2008 2:04:00 AM More reviews by RavenBeauty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was a very nice surprise for me. I am a foundation junkie having tried several from drugstore brands to the highest end foundations available. I keep going back to my old stand by (Estee Lauder's Double Wear or Estee Lauder's Maximum Cover), but as I grow older, I am finding those to be too cakey and too harsh looking now. I want to go soft and natural, yet I need full coverage and I'm super oily and very pale. I had heard good things about this one so I bought this in the lightest shade (110). I also bought their HD primer in green because I have a lot of red in my skin. Both products work beautifully together. The primer did take some of the red out (not all). It smoothed my skin down beautifully and got it ready for this lovely concoction (helped to control my oily skin as well).

This goes on smooth and silky and looks like a full coverage foundation without that heavy feeling which was a welcome change for me. It won't cover like an industrial type full coverage foundation, but it will cover a great deal nonetheless (and the trade off is that you get very decent coverage without looking mask like and cakey). I was surprised at how natural this looks and how well it covers! You can build it in area's where you need some extra coverage and it really doesn't cake! My skin looked almost perfect and yet it looked like my own skin which I am definitely not used to. I used a light touch of concealer in the area's that I had a few blemishes (still trying to clear my skin from the damage that Shiseido's suncream did to me last week after only one usage)!

I am super pale (think Anne Hathaway/Nicole Kidman) and shade 110 was perfect! It matched my pale skin beautifully without making me look garish or sickly. Best of all, hours later my foundation still looked beautiful and natural! It did not get super oily or slide off my face (and I have very oily skin). The final test was taking this off with plain old soap and water and having no trace of make up or any signs of break out or irritation. This may be what have I been looking for. Very nice (and so natural looking even in the light of day)!

Edit: A make up artist mentioned that he sometimes adds a little bit of MUFU's Full Cover concealer in the tube to boost the coverage of this foundation. Because Full Cover is not the traditional greasy type concealer and is water based, it works! It gives this foundation more coverage and yet it adds no more oil or anything (in fact it helps to mattify a bit)! Just add a little Full Cover in with some of the foundation, mix it together in your hands and apply the foundation like you normally would and you get all the full coverage you need! It makes this foundation more opaque and takes the oil down a bit. Perfection for me on days where my face is not looking it's best!

20 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2008 1:08:00 AM More reviews by fifi_kitten

this is an absolute HG product for me. i'm a true PPP with acne prone sensitive skin, around an NW15ish, slightlty lighter depending on the season, so its nearly impossible for me to find a HG foundation. if i find a good color match, the formulas terrible or it breaks me out, and if i find one with a perfect formula, the colors are always too dark. i've tried tons of foundations, high and low end, and still haven't found the perfect one yet. but this flash color completely changes that. i use this as a way to lighten foundations. just a tiny little dab mixed in with a blob of too dark foundation before you apply is all you need. and the best part is, it doesn't change the formula of the foundation at all. a lot of other color adjusters are liquid so they make a lot of foundations too runny and basically destroy any coverage the foundation offers. not this. i can finally search for the best foundation formula for my skin without having to worry about whether or not the colors will be light enough for me. i just take a tiny dab of this (i use a toothpick to pick it up), spread it on a palette, squeeze some foundation on top, and mix with my brush. its that simple. and best of all-it doesn't break me out. i haven't used it for anything else, so i can't comment on other uses. its about $17 for a fairly large tub of .24 oz. i'm sure there are cheaper options in other theatrical makeup brands, however i haven't tried them. but i wouldn't mind paying the $17, since such a little amount works, i'll have this tub forever. definitely a must have for any PPP that struggles to find matching foundations.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/12/2008 2:56:00 PM More reviews by RebeccaD

I've been using this foundation for about a month, & I really do like it. It doesn't give me the incredible flawless look that some people are getting, but it is a pretty good foundation. For reference, I have combo skin. HD applies smoothly & evenly & blends very easily. It provides good coverage for me as well - it evens me out & covers redness, etc. without looking cakey. It wears very well throughout the day, too. While oil-free, the foundation does not control oilies as well as I'd like. It doesn't leave me with pools of oil on my face, but I definitely find my skin a bit oilier by mid-day than I do w/ my usual foundations. I actually find LM's oil-free to work a bit better in this department. Still, I really like the overall effect this foundation gives my skin. It looks even, & other than the mid-day oilies my skin has a fresh glow to it. I like the pump packaging. It's easy to lightly pump out the perfect amount for my face, & so far I haven't had problems w/ the pump sticking. I have light skin w/ yellow undertone, & shade #117 (Marble) matches me perfectly. I think this foundation is definitely worth trying, though if you have very oily skin or large pores, this foundation might accentuate both.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/12/2008 1:52:00 AM More reviews by KrisSeals

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I just thought I'd clarify, this is not a MOISTURIZING foundation like alot of you are posting. It is oil free, and it works best on oily combination or skin that has been freshly moisturized. You will not achieve the "near skin" like effect with dry patches. This is one of the best I have seen, when applied correctly. I recommend using the MUFE kabuki brush since it is made of nylon fibers which makes it possible to get that airbrushed finish with a liquid foundation. This is the way we were taught in the MUFE pro class by a mufe national artist and if you do it on one side and then try a foundation brush or your fingers onthe other side, you will be floored by the difference. Hope this helps!!

15 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2008 5:10:00 AM More reviews by jennstarr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this foundation. I have combo skin, and I will say that when I have dry patches, it does initially make them stand out a bit. What I particularly love is the color matches really well (153-a definite yellow/olive medium tone) which for me is half the battle. It blends like a dream (I use the Shu Goat 16DF brush - which is NOT a foundation brush, but works well for me - I then follow with an oval sponge to smooth everything out). I use a tiny bit of powder over it, and I swear it looks like clean skin....not bare, but not cakey and like traditional foundation. Photographs really nicely too.