August 23, 2014 | 1815 users online

Foundations - Make Up For Ever - HD High Definition Foundation

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/1/2008 11:12:00 PM More reviews by vickybee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am fairly new to liquid foundations but I must say that MUFE's HD Foundation is quite impressive! First off, as others have mentioned, the color match is perfect! I'm NC27 in MAC foundations and yes, I always would mix together NC25 and NC30 shades. But shade #120 is a perfect match, so no more mixing for me! (I think #120 could work for some NC25ers out there but probably would be too light for most NC30ers). Secondly, the packaging is also perfect. Plastic bottle with a pump - what more could you ask for? And finally, the finish is just *gorgeous*. When I first applied it, I didn't really see what the big deal was. But when I looked in the mirror 5 minutes later, I was so pleased! I think a few earlier reviews mentioned that it takes a little while for the foundation to really sink into the skin, and I completely agree. After it settles, it is the perfect semi-matte finish for my somewhat oily skin (foundations with dewy finishes are definitely a no-go for me!). I say semi-matte because it is definitely a matte finish, but there is *something* else to it....I can only describe it as beautifully radiant! Coverage is very buildable - I prefer a medium coverage and 2 full pumps is the right amount for me to use. This foundation feels incredibly light and there is no cakeyness whatsoever! I've been using my 187 to apply, but I am going to try a few different methods as I think a lot of product goes to waste this way. This stuff isn't cheap for sure, but when you factor in the pump its only $10 bucks more than a MAC foundation, and I find that it is totaly worth it! I can see why this foundation is a favorite among professional makeup artists! ***EDIT: 3 weeks later and I am still loving this foundation! I am now using the Everyday Minerals Flat Top Brush to apply it, I only need 1 pump and maybe another little squirt and I buff it into my skin and it is flawless! Love this foundation!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2008 10:24:00 AM More reviews by carriespooner

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Me: Mac NW20
MUFE HD 118
Green eyes
Red hair
Red undertones to my skin (freckles etc)

This foundation is SPECTACULAR.
I bought this at Sephora as opposed to HSN. The difference is that HSN only sells 4 shades. I suggest that you go to Sephora to be matched for your perfect shade. It took me two times to get the right shade. This foundation MATCHES your skin.

I normally Mac exclusively and NW20 gives my skin more color than just 'matching' me. I'm not unhappy with that because I'm pale, but it clearly does not match my neck. NW20 doesn't give me a line of demarcation but it definately gives me more color.

I use #118 in this product. It is perfect match. I start with the
HD Microperfecting Primer in Green to cancel the red in my skin.
I apply the foundation, sometimes with my (gasp)fingers and it smoothes on beautifully. My skin is perfect and flawless. I don't see my enlarged pores at all!

The SA at Sephora suggested that I use a product to add color to my skin the way that Nw20 foundation did. Perhaps a bronzer or BE warmth. It helps me not look so pale.

This foundation wears so well. It looks great all day. It removes easily with my Mac wipes and I have had ZERO breakouts!

It's expensive, but it does have a nice pump so it's easy to use just what I need. I believe this product is worth the price.

This is definately one of those products that you should take samples home and get the samples of the primers too so you can try it more than once.

I wish I could wear the MUFE HD powder but I found that it was too white for me, but I did follow up with Cargo's HD pressed powder or Mac's loose powder. Beautiful!

This makes me really want to explore this brand!

TRY IT!!!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2008 8:07:00 PM More reviews by staciarose22

Maybe the best foundation made, I can't express any more than what others have. It just has to be worn in order for you to understand. Nothing is a miracle, but this comes close enough for me. I am #125 sand. Light with a beige undertone. This is a base that must be matched by testing the shades on your skin. Follow up with the HD powder, they are like a couple and must go together. I do notice there is no info listed about spf being in this, that I have seen or heard. I think it is made for indoor use, obviously because it was made for HD cameras. Hmmm, so wear it with seperate spf ladies... I hope that doesn't change the quality for you, but choose a light one like Neutrogena dry touch. The best thing about this foundation is it's so light, but it covers flaws and never looks thick or cakey. I apply one pump to my brush and then tap it on my face. Blend right away. You do not want this to set and dry in patches. It's meant to dry very quickly and you go on your way.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2008 7:12:00 PM More reviews by fionam

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Colours:
- MAC NC30
- MUFE Mat Velvet+ 30
- MUFE HD 120

The colour match is excellent. Except I have to use a brush to apply so the foundation coverage won't look to cakey. The MUA at Sephora recommended this to me after I realized the Mat Velvet+ was clogging my pores and breaking me out. So far with this foundation, I have had no clogged pores or breakout. I still have acne, don't get me wrong, but it is not as CRAZY as with the Mat Velvet+.

People complain about looking like an oil slick after using this foundation. From my experience, I have to use the microfinish powder just to get the oilies away. Using the powder + foundation combo...your makeup will look cakey initially but less so and more natural given a few minutes with the moisture.

The coverage is more full if you using your fingers to apply. I prefer using a brush so it's a bit more sheer then cover up my blemish marks and scars with a concealer.

[Edit]: Got a tip from a make up artist that if you mix this foundation with the Nars Aqua Gel Hydrator and a few drops of your sunscreen (I use Shiseido Anessa - Silver Tube). I get more product and my face is more moisturized. Honestly, I had people come and tell me that my makeup looks more natural just because of the thin layer of makeup on my face. But the interesting thing is that it offers the same coverage. The makeup artist says that you should treat makeup as a cream as oppose to an extra layer on the face. My face is more glowy and natural. LOVE IT!

[Edit 2]: After one month or so or usage, I found out that this product BROKE ME OUT. It has an ingredient called "sorbitan sesquioleate" and "sodium chloride (salt)" that clogs my pores. It's the same ingredient in Mat Velvet+ caused me to break out. If you have sensitive skin and really acne prone, I don't recommend this foundation.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/29/2008 4:18:00 PM More reviews by Soyonzen

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have and love F&B #32. I bought this in #127 and it's a perfect match for me. I don't love it as much though. I prefer LM's silk creme foundation (in bamboo beige) to this because t covers my imperfections better, looks more natural on me, and keeps my skin moisturized (I have very dry skin). I like F&B for days when I don't feel like wearing heavy make up --like the weekends. For work? I'll stick to Laura Mercier. I give it a 4 because I think that if you don't have many flaws to cover this may be for you.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/27/2008 5:47:00 PM More reviews by V4Valkyrie

For reference I use MAC NC 35 and MUFE HD 127.

I am fairly new to Makeup Alley, and have been raving about MUFE HD foundation constantly on the makeup board. I think it is time for a full-length review. MUFE HD foundation is provides great coverage, I only need to use one pump! It doesn't feel heavy at all, unlike *cough* "MAC foundations". I never had a problem with this formula being cakey, due to the fact that I only need one pump. I have been using this foundation for almost 2 months, and I never broke out from it.
MUFE HD gives me great coverage, but it never looks unnatural or even looks like I have makeup on. Before venturing to MUFE HD, I tried other MUFE foundations. Face and Body was too dewy in my opinion. I prefer more of a matte complexion. Mat Velvet however was great and looked very matte, I still have this and use it during the hot summer months. However Mat Velvet was too matte for year around with my normal skin type. Unlike MUFE other foundation formulas, MUFE HD gives a even balance between matte and dewy. It makes me look matte but gives me a dewy glow.
This is the first foundation I ever tried that was moisturizing. My skin become very soft, I was really surprised and amazed. There are plenty of shades to find your perfect match. You can get samples at Sephora. If there isn’t a Sephora near you, I know that you can call the MUFE store in New York and they will send you samples. This is definitely my HG foundation. I never thought I would find anything like this. I will never stray from this!

EDIT: After reading several pages of reviews of MUFE HD, I need to edit this. MUFE HD is a medium to full coverage foundation therefore you only need 1 to 1.5 pumps. If you are using 2 or 3 pumps of this, YES it probably will be cakey and look unnatural. So don't do it! Even though this foundation is capable of having full coverage, it is NOT a concealer! If you have a lot of blemishes, use a concealer after the foundation for more coverage. I do have minor blemishes, and this foundation does a great job of covering them. I don't know if this is just my experience, but with MUFE HD, I don't even a primer. This is very long lasting, I have 10+ days and this stuff stays put until I wash it off at night.

I use this with my MAC 187 or 180(discounted). I pump out the foundation on the back of my hand. If I prefer medium coverage that day, I stipple the foundation on my face with my 187. I only take a little foundation every time when using the 180, I repeat about 2x before all of the foundation on my hand is used.

If I prefer full coverage that day I use my 180. With the 180 I get my foundation routine done much faster. I use a buffing technique therefore the foundation blends flawlessly. I love this so much that I bought it for my mom who is 55. She has mature skin, and this does a fantastic job of covering up blemishes, and age spots. It does NOT set into fine lines or wrinkles but actually makes them less noticeable. I can't explain it, but this stuff just works!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 11/26/2008 9:59:00 PM More reviews by tomax

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this based on the good reviews I've read here and at Sephora.com. I feel like I got a completely different product than the one I've been reading about. Let me just say that I normally use MMU because that's what I've consistently gotten the most natural-looking results with, but I wanted a liquid foundation for winter. The problems I has with MUFE HD were many:

1. It did not look the least bit natural. I tried every application technique I could think of. I used sponges, a foundation brush, my fingers--every time it looked like I was wearing a mask. A scary one.

2. For my age, I have very young-looking skin, but MUFE HD accentuated EVERY teeny, tiny fine line I have. And I don't have large pores, but this makeup sure made it look like I do. I tried using a silicone-based primer (despite the fact that I hate them) to resolve this problem, but it didn't help, it made my skin look greasier and it made my new makeup mask feel even thicker.

3. Two words: clogged pores.

It seemed like MUFE HD did the opposite of what it was supposed to do for me. It made me look old and like I had horrible skin. I will say that the color matched my skin perfectly, it covers up any discolorations really well (probably due to its mask-like effect) and that the packaging is pretty good. It comes in a pump, so at the very least, you won't have a bacteria-ridden bottle of foundation sitting around in a month.

This is a pretty pricey product, but I'm the type of person that will pay ridiculous amounts of money for just about anything, as long as it is spectacular. Obviously, this was not one of those products for me.

Needless to say, I returned the MUFE HD to Sephora. This was such a bad experience, I probably won't even try looking for another liquid foundation. MMU might me a tad dry for winter, but at least it doesn't make me look like an old hag.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/24/2008 8:16:00 PM More reviews by smallvillejunkie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm constantly on the search for the perfect foundation, and before I tried this I was very happy with my Revlon Colorstay. I still think that's a great foundation, but recently my skin has started changing. It used to be really oily, but it's combination now and more towards the dry side. Colorstay started to look too cakey. I tried the HD foundation after getting a sample at Sephora and LOVED it. It covered flawlessly, felt light, and really does give the skin a nice glow. However, the first bottle I bought didn't have the same consistency as that first sample so I exchanged it for another one. Same results, but I do have to admit that the staying power is NOT the best. After awhile, I start seeing my scars come through and my little imperfections. I started using this in conjuction with Laura Mercier mineral foundation and together, I really like the look. I definitely recommend this foundation, but make sure to use a finishing powder with a little bit of coverage.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2008 2:33:00 PM More reviews by GetLowxX

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

Despite the hefty price tag that comes along with HD foundation (I'm used to paying $26.00 for Studio Fix fluid from MAC), this is a foundation I was willing to fork over the extra bucks for.
After being color matched at Sephora a few weeks ago, I decided to take advantage of their family & friends discount and order this foundation in the shade that I thought matched me best along with the HD powder (seperate review will be posted for that in the appropriate place) and I'm so glad I did.
I have been using this foundation for nearly 2 weeks and I'll admit, at first, I wasn't a huge fan of it. It's a little on thin side, compared to Studio Fix Fluid. I'll compare it more towards MAC's Select SPF 15 liquid foundation as far as consistency goes. The finish of the HD foundation is very natural. I find it takes a little more to cover my face than I have with other foundations since the coverage of this stuff is more buildable. I usually take 2 dime sized pumps to cover my whole face. After a few days of using the HD foundation in conjuction with MUFE's HD powder, I definitely got hooked :)
It lasts all day on my face (don't forget to use a primer and MAC Fix+ for extra reassurance!) and doesn't cakey or splotchy like other foundations have for me. MUFE HD foundation is very natural without looking too natural and without looking too overdone.
Since using this exclusively, my face has definitely cleared up some since I stopped using Studio Fix fluid.
Although I don't like the pricetag, it is something I will repurchase when I run out. I just wish it was cheaper. I love the packaging though.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/21/2008 4:11:00 AM More reviews by Mosscat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Fairly good coverage, blends well, color match is the best i've had, and it doesn't feel heavy at all even though I had to build up the coverage. It's still there at the end of the day while using moisturizer, primer, and it's buddy HD powder.

I'm kind of disappointed with this foundation though. Mostly with it being so pricey and not being *that* much better than my other foundations. I have to use 3 (!!) pumps to get the coverage I want - even with a stippling brush. Though it doesn't feel cakey/heavy, I could get a much cheaper mineral foundation and feel the same.

I think if anyone is iffy about buying this, ask for a sample or wear it around for an hour or so while you shop. Am giving it 3 lippies because it has great potential to be HG for some people. This is just not for me. ;)

EDIT: 2/11/2009
Wow, just wow. I haven't been using this every day and i'm almost done with the bottle. It's spitting air already. In little less than 3 months? Just BS.