April 20, 2014 | 965 users online

Foundations - Make Up For Ever - HD High Definition Foundation

rated 3.6(2086 reviews)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2008 5:10:00 AM More reviews by jennstarr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this foundation. I have combo skin, and I will say that when I have dry patches, it does initially make them stand out a bit. What I particularly love is the color matches really well (153-a definite yellow/olive medium tone) which for me is half the battle. It blends like a dream (I use the Shu Goat 16DF brush - which is NOT a foundation brush, but works well for me - I then follow with an oval sponge to smooth everything out). I use a tiny bit of powder over it, and I swear it looks like clean skin....not bare, but not cakey and like traditional foundation. Photographs really nicely too.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/11/2008 12:30:00 AM More reviews by FadetoSparkle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Make Up For Ever has the best foundation line out there. However, I don't feel this is as great as their other foundations. My main issue is that it doesn't have staying power. It seems to give a mask like appearance & makes me extra greasy looking while caking on any dry spot on your face. I also don't find that it photographs any better than their foundations either. It looks no different than face & body in a picture. It has the potential to be a great foundation but personally they've missed the mark on it for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2008 9:18:00 PM More reviews by JeanineH

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm a little weary of writing a review for this product just because I love it so much. It seems like every time I write a review for a product, something goes wrong with it. But anyway, let's get to the point.

I first saw this foundation on the Sephora Website, labeled "Best Seller Overall" for liquid foundations. This grabbed my attention, along with how it supposedly covered like a great foundation, but stayed completely natural looking even in daylight. I did NOT think that this could be possible, so I kept looking for another foundation that seemed more realistic.

After not finding anything on the website, I went to Sephora for a consultation in search for the perfect product for me. To my surprise, the rep directed me straight to the foundation that I had looked at a week before: Make Up For Ever HD Foundation. Skeptical, I asked if she would apply it for me so I could see how it worked after spotting the $40 price tag. She applied this foundation with a cosmetic sponge (not the one the product is recommended with) and an extremely light hand. At the time, my skin was incredibly dry due to my acne medication, so I knew that the way she would be applying the makeup wouldn't be right, anyway. She applied it rather sheerly, which I did not like. I did get a sample, though. When I got home, I decided to give it another go. I cleansed my face, patted it dry, and added a little bit of moisturizer because of my dry skin. I don't recommend this for everyone, because the foundation itself is very moisturizing. Using my fingertips, I blended this foundation effortlessly into my skin, all over....

Let me tell you, ladies. If you are looking for a flawless coverage that is nearly undetectable, you will love this. Go to Sephora, and instead of getting them to apply it for you, just have them make up a sample for you to take home. You will see a difference the instant that it touches your fingers. The formula is water based and noncomedogenic, so it is gentle to your skin, moisturizing, and won't clog pores. I was very surprised at how thin and creamy this was. It gave a very dewy, healthy looking finish and covered everything that I wanted it to. It brightened my eyes, completely concealed acne scarring and current blemishes, and my redness was gone. It is also pretty waterproof if used with the MUFE HD powder. I even went outside with a mirror, and viola! My skin still looked great. Dream come true. It does have a $40 price tag which was nearly twice the price of my bare minerals, but it's well worth it if you want to have beautiful skin. In my opinion, I prefer this WAY over Bare Minerals. Amen.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2008 5:41:00 PM More reviews by Mojie

I really wanted to love this foundation in spite of having more foundation that I can realistically use already. I've had good results with MUFE's HD loose powder and based on the good reviews here on MUA, I thought this would be a sure-fire winner.

After reading reviews here, I ordered this in 115 Ivory (I wear NW20 in MAC currently, but have worn NW15 in the recent past) since the Porcelain color seemed too light and pink for me. That was a good choice. The color match for me in Ivory was pretty good, but I could have gone just a tiny, tiny bit darker and it would have looked more natural.

The coverage of this foundation is medium with 2 squirts, light but enough for my needs with 1 squirt. It has a thicker consistency than a lot of the MAC foundations I've tried and a small squirt doesn't look like much until it's spread out over the skin. It's easy to think you need more than you really do with this stuff!

I just wasn't impressed with the way this looked on me. I applied it both with my fingers and with a MAC foundation brush and both gave an OK result. The foundation really accentuated any dry spots I had on my skin and tended to look cakey on my forehead in spite of my using a light hand to apply it there. It also started showing wear very quickly. Within 15 minutes of my doing nothing but sitting in my living room (not working up a sweat or anything like that), it was starting to wear off unevenly and looked very unflattering.

I returned it to Sephora and I'll be sticking with my MAC Studio Fix Fluid.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2008 5:27:00 PM More reviews by righteousred

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I must preface review by saying I am a bit of a foundation ho. I have tried just about everything and have rarely repurchased, since I'm always looking for something better. I have become (and still am) a big fan of mineral makeups since most liquids fail to live up to expectations - they don't cover enough, or they settle into my pores or they melt off or whatever. This one made me revise my opinion of liquid fxs though.

This is truly a full coverage foundation that covers a LOT (see the pics at the end of the review) but without feeling heavy and gross on my face. I don't even really need concealer with it. The staying power is better than average also - I truly don't find that it's slid around much by the end of the day. I do have normal skin that is not particularly oily though, so that might have something to do with it. I like the "glowy" finish - matte foundations are aging IMO. Love the pump bottle.

As some previous reviewers suggested, I did NOT apply this with a foundation brush. I dot approx 1.5 pumps foundation on my face and then spread it out with my Px Buff Brush (much like a flat head kabuki - a dense natural hair brush). The choice of brush is KEY. I do not get the same even/natural application with my fingers or a regular foundation brush.

A note about choosing color. The numbers don't necessarily coincide to the "darkness" of the shade - there are different undertones much like Kevin Aucoin's line. I am pretty darn fair and pink (MAC NW15) - I almost always wear the lightest and coolest toned foundations in a line. However, the very lightest one (110 Pink Porcelain) here made me look a little too pale. Strangely, 115 Ivory (which is supposed to be for cool undertones) appeared too dark on my skin, but 117 Marble (which should have been too yellow) was just right. Go figure. Anyway, if you don't find your shade at first, play around with ones that you might not intuitively go for in the beginning.

And now for scary no-makeup pictures:

These were not touched up except to get rid of red-eye, so you can really see what a difference the foundation makes. continued >>

104 out of 104 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2008 11:37:00 PM More reviews by hugglemunkee

I love this foundation! I originally saw this on the HSN and went to my nearest Sephora to try it out. I immediately fell in love. It's lightweight and has full coverage. My skin is oily in the T-zones and I have redness in my cheeks. My skin is a medium tone. I love that only a few drops covers my entire face. I don't need a concealer. I love that it doesn't feel heavy and if I wanted to put on another layer (not that I would need to), it doesn't look caked on. It is a little pricey for me (30.00) but it's a large bottle and it'll last you a while.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/6/2008 12:24:00 PM More reviews by Irishgurrl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This dried out my skin, and I believe caused it to clog up.
Initially, whilst I was using my sample - it was beautiful...my skin seemed to love it, but within about 2 weeks of use, and ironically after I'd ordered the full jar - my skin screamed no more!

This is lovely when it works, sadly for my combination and super sensitive skin...it didn't.

The colour match was however lovely, and there was no oxidisation throughout the day.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2008 1:35:00 AM More reviews by KatDan

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I tried and tried to make this foundation work! I went to sephora and got samples and even bought it twice but ended up returning it both times.

To begin, I have young combo skin, prone to break-outs. My coloring is light with yellow undertones. Shade 120 was a perfect match for me but I also used 118 (similar but with no yellow, more beige) and 127 (a shade darker and a little more orange). This fdtn is best applied lightly otherwise it will look too make-up-y.

So why didn't this work for me? It didn't give a flawless look. It didn't last all day. It emphasized flakiness around my nose + blemishes. It didn't cover blemishes that well at all.

I should add I used this with and without the HD primer (shade 06) as well as the HD Powder and still couldn't get it to work! It also looked awful in photo's: i don't know if it was the ftdn or the powder but I totally got the dreaded white MU face in more than one photo! I also got totally broken out from either the primer, powder, or fdtn.

ENDPOINT: This is did not work for me very sadly (I really wanted it to based on the amazing reviews here). Since so many others love it though I would definitely head to sephora and try it + get a sample!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2008 11:03:00 PM More reviews by tualmarebelde

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This foundation was horrible. First of all, it oxidizes like no other on oily skin, given that I was given 3 samples-all 3 oxidized. It does not provide the coverage I was looking for. It broke me out within 24 hours. It becomes a greasy, oily mess. I do not recommend at all.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2008 7:06:00 PM More reviews by smashbox2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was hoping for a lot with all the raves for this foundation but sadly not great for me. The color match is good but that is about it. It doesn't cover at all, my skin looked dull and not amazing. I am going to stick with my Spell Cosmetics mineral foundation.