Maybelline Volum' Express The Falsies

3.4

AQUA / WATER, PARAFFIN, POTASSIUM CETYL PHOSPHATE, CERA ALBA / BEESWAX, CERA CARNAUBA / CARNAUBA WAX, ACACIA SENEGAL / ACACIA SENEGAL GUM, GLYCERIN, CETYL ALCOHOL, ACRYLATES COPOLYMER, HYDROXYETHYLCELLULOSE PEG/PPG-17/18 DIMETHICONE, STEARETH-20, PHENOXYETHANOL, HYDROLYZED CORN STARCH, CAPRYLYL GLYCOL, SODIUM POLYMETHACRYLATE, SODIUM DEHYDROACETATE, HYDROGENATED JOJOBA OIL, HYDROGENATED PALM OIL, SIMETHICONE, RAYON, DISODIUM EDTA, ARGININE, SERINE, GLUTAMIC ACID, 2-OLEAMIDO-1,3-OCTADECANEDIOL, SILICA,PANTHENOL

on 7/30/2010 11:50:00 AM

At first I absolutely loathed this product. It finally came to a store in this tiny crappy town I live in, so I bought it one day while buying groceries. I couldn't wait to try it the next morning. When I finally did...it did nothing! I have pretty medium length lashes and with a good macara I can get really long lashes, but this made them look stubby and short! I don't know about anyone else, but when I put on falsies, I don't put them on so my lashes can look short. It just looked all wrong. So I left it in my makeup drawer and figured another $5 down the drain. And the packaging? Just akward. I prefer longer wands becuase I feel like I have more control and it doesn't get all over the place. This is a short stumpy type wand and tends to leave a lot of clumps. Fast foward 2 or 3 weeks. I started using it again whenever I was in a hurry and didn't have time to put coats of mascara or when I was going for a more natural look. Then one morning, I thought I'd layer it after 2 coats of Lash Siletto. I was floored. LS makes my lashes pretty long (another mascara I hated at first) and with the extra coat of Falsies, I get a pretty nice look. It's like my lashes stood out more. I didn't even need to use lash liner on my top lid anymore. Sometimes though, I can over do it and will need a clean Lash Blast (love!) brush to separate my lashes. I guess this mascara wasn't a complete waste after all, but I still think for a mascara to be truely good, you shouldn't have to combine them with others. So the search continues, but I definitely wouldn't buy this again.

on 7/30/2010 11:37:00 AM

it could be because i have naturally long lashes, but this product worked fine for me!
it is however hard to build and does get quite clumpy when you apply a third/fourth layer. so it wasnt the BEST.
my mother, who has shorter thinner lashes than myself was not satisfied with this product either, so maybe it only works if you have longer lashes? thats lame ! and thats why i only gave it a 3. because a good mascara should be versatile enough for anyone!

on 7/30/2010 11:08:00 AM

Let me add my "this is crap" comments to all of the other. Falsies. Really, Maybelline? This doesn't even come close to an everyday mascara, let alone one that claims high dram. Even with two coats, you could *barely* tell I had mascara. To mimic another reviewer, this one isn't even worth keeping around as a spare or everyday mascara. Straight from Target to the can. While I'm at it, does anyone else get p*ssed off about mascara commericals using false eyelashes on their models to advertise mascara? Isn't that false advertising? Drives me nuts!!! End rant.

A watery, thin formula that's difficult to build. With a name like "Falsies" I expect to have out-of-control thick lashes. Waste of $.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I have been using this for about 3 weeks.

PROS: -Long, thick, black eyelashes
-Zero smudging even in the heat/humidity (with a non-WP formula too!)
-Super dramatic lashes with 2-3 coats
-Cheap

CONS: -Absolutely have to wipe off both ends of the brush prior to use or it gets really clumpy
-Bendy brush is kind of hard to get back in the tube

Overall, the results are worth it. I will repurchase.

on 7/29/2010 3:50:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Lotsa length, lotsa volume, but it does take a bit to dry. I don't use it for everyday wear because it gives me such dramatic lashes. It is oodles of fun, though!

on 7/29/2010 2:54:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

Okay so I have been using Maybelline's Colossal for the longest time and decided to try this. I will be honest, your eyelahes get reallllllly long from this mascara. Just by two whips of the wand my eyelashes extended like crazy. So to the falsies claim...they give close to them! I love how the wand is at a curve when you use it.

As much length as this mascara gave, I felt like it didn't give me volume though. UNTIL I flipped the wand around and ta-da, there was volume! You just have to learn how to use the mascara wand correctly. Experiment a little!

This mascara frustrates me sometimes because it seems too clumpy, messy, or watery but you just have to learn to get use it. Overall I think it's a great product and I love how it makes my eyelashes look! I will defiantly buy again.

on 7/29/2010 1:28:00 PM

I love this mascara. Is very wet and sits on the lashes quite heavily. Tends to clump slightly but as the wand covers the lashes corner to corner they fan out pretty evenly and end up very long especially after a second coat. Brilliant for a wide-eyed look.

on 7/29/2010 9:47:00 AM

First off- Maybelline please stop using ridiculous amounts of false lashes in your commercials- its really misleading! This mascara features a spoon shaped wand which is supposed to hold the curl in lashes and help create a false lash effect. I have to say I am really impressed with the formulation of this mascara as well as the wand since there is minimal clumping, and no flaking or smudging- pretty impressive! However, just using this mascara alone definitely does not achieve a false lash effect, in fact, I'm very surprised at how subtle the lash effect is at all.

Despite this, you really can achieve an awesome false lash effect when used with another mascara- L'Oreal telescopic clean definition. I use the telescopic first to lengthen my lashes and separate them, and then use the falsies to thicken, curl and further lengthen my lashes. I absolutely love this mascara combination, and therefore will continue to repurchase falsies mascara

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

The only thing false about this product is the advertisment. (I am wondering how many people have said this.. hah.) I had such high expectations for this, I've been all over the place with mascaras over the years and thought I had found the one! Sadly, I was mistaken.

PROS
-I did like the wand. It covered all my lashes and wasn't messy.
-It was very black, which I love.
-It is fairly cheap, $5-6.

CONS
-The formula is extremely wet. If you apply more that one layer it seems to take FOREVER to dry.
-Spider legs much?
-Ultra clumpy..
-Sticky..

Do not think that you will magically achieve the look of false lashes by applying this mascara. If you already have long lashes and just want to darken them, I would say go for it. But if your lashes are minimal like mine, don't waste your money. :[

Video Reviews & Tutorials