August 1, 2014 | 1748 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2012 8:16:00 PM More reviews by HunterGray

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

If you have dry or sensitive skin, I'd skip this. I purchased this with the intention of using it on days where I didn't want to wear a ton of eyeshadow, but I wanted to cover up the redness/veins on my eyelids, since concealer always creases on me. I thought it would make a nice eyeshadow base as well. However, on the first use, it completely dried out my eyelids and made them red and sore. This has happened with quite a few high end eye primers, so i'm not sure if it's an allergy, or what. Just to be sure, I used this again, abd had the same thing happen. Also I found that it didn't apply particularly evenly. I think it would look ok with eyeshadow on top, but on its own I was not impressed. That, and the fact that it made my eyelids dry out makes it one star for me. The packaging is nice though.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2012 4:53:00 AM More reviews by ashalou

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This was my first ever MAC purchase but I initially went to the MAC counter to purchase a paint pot in another colour. The sales person suggested Painterly, as the other one I was interested in (I can't remember the name of it now) was very shimmery. I'm glad she was so up front and honest with me. I love how this primes my eyelids and holds my eyeshadows in place with no creasing. It's also nice just on its' own.
I find that applying with my fingers is the best way to blend it on smoothly. I put some on the middle finger of one hand, rub some from that finger onto the middle finger of the other hand, which helps to warm up the product and give it more 'slip'. Once applied, I then blend it in with my clean ring fingers. If more is needed, I go back to the middle fingers and apply a bit more, then blend with ring fingers and so on until I have the desired coverage. Doing it this way ensures that I don't over do it as can happen when applying with a brush. I saw this done in a tutorial and it's been the best way to get an even, non cakey finish. I will mention that I do have oily lids which possibly helps when applying.

I initially didn't realise that this is an eyeshadow. I'd only ever used it as a primer but now I will have double the use. I am an NW30 and find this color a perfect match which evens out the skintone on my lids beautifully. Would repurchase but this pot is going to last a very long time, so long as it doesn't dry out as some reviewers have suggested.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2012 4:11:00 AM More reviews by tuhsang

I've used this product since November of 2011, and ever since them I can tell eyeshadows are much less prone to creasing.
I have very oily monolids; therefore, even UDPP cannot even stop my eyeshadows from creasing. Usually, when I get back from school, over half of my lids are smudged.
When I started using this over my UDPP, none of my eyeshadows have creased, with the occasional smudging in my inner corner. But then again, I live in the south where summers get pretty darn hot, AND I have monolids.
Overall, I love this product. However, I will most likely not be repurchasing since there is SO much product. I doubt I will be able to finish this in the next three years, even if I use it every single day. By then, I'm sure I would be more than willing to try out something else!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2012 11:03:00 PM More reviews by rachpayne

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this stuff! The MAC makeup artist put it on me when I went in to find some wedding make-up. I didn't end up buying it because a friend of mine had it. But I took the leap and bought it for myself this time around. I'm not a big makeup person, but love how certain hues make my green eyes pop. While this painterly paint pot is technically a nude/beige, I find that with my undertones in my skin, it gives it a little pink/purple tint, and really makes my eyes stand out. I use just this for daily wear, and not a lot... but only a little, so it doesn't cake or crease. Its a good purchase :)

rated 1 of 5 on 7/6/2012 4:46:00 PM More reviews by EllaKarres

There is one thing I like about this product and it is the packaging! Having said that it it a waste of money for me: it looks flat, creases like crazy even when I put the thinnest layer of it(and normally I can wear eyeshadows even without primer), looks quite dull and flat but most of all I'm allergic to it. So it dries my eyelids to the point they will get chapped and even have small cracks, which is both ugly and really painful.
Overall, stays on for 5 minutes but leaves me suffering for a week!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/6/2012 11:11:00 AM More reviews by hamelma

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really don't think paint pots work well on middle aged eyes. They are on the drying side, and make my eyelids look creepy and cakey.

Mac MAs always put these paint pots on everyone, and it's pretty clear they understand nothing about how makeup needs to be applied differently as people age.

Evenin my early forties, I am already finding paint pots and shadow primers are a no no. I'd much rather have the veins or dark shadows show through than have cakey, crepey eyelids.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/2/2012 11:16:00 PM More reviews by cchughes

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a nude cream eyeshadow I use as a base/primer. This provides an even canvas for my shadows. I find that it does crease after 8 or so hours, so taking off a lippy for that. The pigmentation and quality is good overall, but I dislike the price! I will be sticking to the Maybelline Color Tattoos, but will be picking up this shade again due to it giving a nice nude base. I will probably wear primer under, however.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2012 9:39:00 PM More reviews by solidcake

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a HG of mine. I have tried other bases or primers or whatever (UD, NYX, etc.) but this is by far the best. I cannot go without it now. When I use this, (which is everyday), my eyeshadows just DON'T crease, ever, even if I've been going for over 12 hours working in the hospital and hit the gym afterward. I have had the same jar for over a year now with tons left. Bang for your buck there.

I have really pale skin and veiny eyelids, and this covers them up perfectly. I have tried it on friends of mine with darker skin tones and it blends in perfectly and has worked just as well on them. I really can't go without this product now. I've tried a couple other colours but this is the main one I can't live without because it blanks out my discolorations, sucks up all the eyeshadow I apply, and makes it last for eternity. Must have.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2012 6:14:00 PM More reviews by aurora42

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is my second purchase of Painterly. My first purchase was from a MAC SA recommendation when I complained of eye shadow not lasting through the day. This works as a neutral base (matches my eyelid color almost exactly) so that eye shadows are more ‘true’ to their color and last a lot longer on me. I won’t be without it now.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/28/2012 7:44:00 PM More reviews by CarlyCut

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is one of those products that you THINK you really need, but until you buy it and try it (or just try it) you soon realize that you don't need it and never will. I think this product is supposed to be more of a cream eyeshadow, with a definite unnatural pigment. At first, Painterly seemed to match my skin perfectly, but in certain lights it looks noticeably pink/purple, especially if you look at swatches of it online compared to Bare Study.

Anyway, I thought this was a product that was supposed to intensify eyeshadows, but it really changes their undertone...completely. For instance I LOVE Urban Decay's Toasted, and it's a pinky taupe copper color, but with Painterly underneath, it turned into a purple-gray color. Not only did the color change bother me, but this made my eyelids look cakey and splotchy.

If you already put foundation and/or concealer on your eyes before you put on your eyeshadow (like me) then you REALLY don't need this product. If you love the color of your eyeshadows and don't want them to turn into cooler versions, then you really don't need this product.

If you don't wear anything on your eyelids and want to even out the skin on your eyelids, and if you have a pinkish skintone and don't plan on wearing eyeshadow over this, then I think this product is for you. But then again, you might as well use foundation to even out your eyelids; you can buy a whole bottle of decent foundation for the same price as this little jar, and find a color that will actually match your skintone (I don't know too many people who have pink/purple skin).

Other than that, I have no idea what these paint pots are supposed to be other than stand-alone cream eyeshadows in odd color choices. It seems like people have a thousand uses for Painterly, but I really think it sucks for what I was hoping it would do (intensify my eyeshadow colors). The only thing I would ever use it for is Halloween makeup or Day of The Dead makeup, and only because I have already bought it and it's just sitting on my dresser and I feel like I have to do SOMETHING with it!

12 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No