November 26, 2014 | 916 users online

Powder - Laura Mercier - Mineral Powder SPF 15

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/10/2010 10:39:00 AM More reviews by bennodalove

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse Eyes: Green

Ehhh...not sure what I think of this to be honest. I was matched with the shade Real Sand for my NC20 yellow/golden undertoned skin. The colour was not good at all - made my face look grey. Tender Rose was too pink and the shade above Real Sand was too orange. I'm not impressed with the colour range.

I have normal/combo sensitive skin, and despite the SA prepping my face with a moisturiser and hydrating primer beforehand, this mineral powder still managed to look rather cakey and accentuanted dry flakes that I didn't even know I had. I was anticipating the 'creamy' finish that some reviews have raved about, but all I got was dryness. It was a matte finish and did not get oily or greasy throughout the day, and the staying power was very good aswell. It did not make the pores on my nose look obvious, but I couldn't get over the cakiness. Thinking it was just the way the SA applied it, I tried myself at home and it was a little better but still showed some flakes and I didn't get the creamy finish. It looked like I was wearing a mask.

My skin gets a little itchy when I wear this, especially on my chin and cheeks. Why do they still insist on using bismuth in so many mineral foundations?! It irritates so many people and I am one of them.

Considering this powder was £30 for a mediocre product, I am returning it tomorrow. Bad colour range, bad finish on the skin and itchy face. Not my idea of a nice foundation.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/3/2010 10:03:00 AM More reviews by cmitakis

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Sooo much better than BE! I need mineral makeup since my skin type is so problematic (acne-prone, inflammed, hyperpigmentation). I've tried BE off and on through the years, thinking it should work for me, but it never does. Then I discovered LM - it isn't going to work miracles, but it covers well enough, the packaging is great, and the color match totally works. The best mineral makeup out there IMHO!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/2/2010 11:31:00 PM More reviews by emmgill

This is the best mineral powder foundation I have ever tried and I have tried alot! This powder has a luminous look to it which I love. ( I hated the powdery look I got from the maybelline and LÓreal mineral powders). This has great coverage as well. It is easy to belnd into the skin for a very natural light coverage (Elizabeth Ardens mineral did this very well although I wasnt able to build it up to a medium coverage. No matter how much powder I used). It is also really easy to build it up to a heavier coverage although because it is a powder it is very noticable that you are wearing makeup and alot of it. As opposed to liquids that tend to mesh better with the skin. I went through a whole jar of this and then I bought another one but decided to try out the NARS Sheer Glow foundation. The NARS sheer glow is much better for my skin. But I will keep this one around for those really hot hot days in Australia where the moment you put on a liquid you feel like it melts off. The built in SPF15 is also a bonus!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2010 7:21:00 AM More reviews by xh_minime

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

Love! I am finishing my second tub. I haven't had good skin for most of my life, in fact sometimes I get infected by big cystic pimples. On my bad skin days, I conceal my pimples with LM Flawless Fix pencil (read my review!), and then top it off with LM Mineral Powder.
I like that it helps set off my face wonderfully well. I use it above the Clinique SPF40 Sheer sunblock. And I have oily skin, but using this mattes my face really well. I have to touch up only at the end of the day, before I head from the office to dinner.
However I won't be getting a third tub soon, because I am relocating, there is winter where I am heading to, and my skin can get pretty dry, so I will be changing to a liquid foundation instead.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/12/2010 3:47:00 PM More reviews by jujubear02

I actually purchased the Mineral set at Sephora that comes with the mineral powder, illuminating powder, face brush, concealer, concealer brush, the mineral powder (in a tube) and a bag to put it all in for $65.

The main reason I like this product is because I have oily skin and this keeps me matte all day. It looks natural and feels light. I've tried bare essentuals and it was too messy for me. Somehow, this mineral makeup isn't messy for me at all. I guess I just pour a little at a time into the cover. I think the BE one would pour out a lot of powder really quickly and it was difficult to control.

After using the product for a while, I felt like my skin started looking dull and not smooth. I thought it might be from this makeup. Then I purchased the Clarisonic Mia and boy does it make a difference on my skin. The makeup goes on a lot nicer. I guess I wasn't cleaning my skin good enough.

Overall, I wish the mineral makeup gave a bit more coverage but it's nice that the set comes with concealer that really blends in well. The biggest reason for me to buy this product again is because of the oil control... which is also due to the awesome primer.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2010 6:47:00 PM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I am a fan of mineral powder foundations and I've tried a LOT of them. This loose powder, by Laura Mercier, has to be one of the best of the bunch. I was never much of a fan of loose powders, preferring pressed minerals because they are less messy to work with and especially for tossing into your purse or for travelling. But the clever packaging of this product eliminates the down-side of other loose powders.

I have the shade "Real Sand" and it is an excellent match and really evens out my skin tone perfectly. This powder leaves my skin looking beautiful without a made up look. It covers imperfections and broken capillaries very well and it is quick and easy to apply. I have several pretty good liquid foundations but to get a finished face that looks both flawless AND natural takes me a lot of time if I'm using a liquid foundation and even then, it sometimes eludes me and my skin looks WORSE with foundation than without it. Not so with this wonderful product...I get great looking skin that also looks like I am naturally blessed with perfect skin and I get it quickly and easily. I apply and buff with a flat topped kabuki brush and, voila....perfect skin (and some sun protection too!)

I think I truly have found my perfect foundation.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/23/2010 3:50:00 PM More reviews by internetgirl

I use the color "Real Sand" and it's perfect for my skin color. I have fair Asian skin. The powder is finely milled so it goes smooth on my skin. It is great for people who just want to cover up some mild acne and skin imperfection but it doesn't cover hyper-pigmentation very well or other more major skin imperfections. It doesn't cause breakouts as long as you wash the makeup off at the end of the say. 40 dollars for it is high but it is expected since it is a high end product.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2010 12:42:00 AM More reviews by snowflake91

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like foundation quite alot but my tendency is to reach for a liquid instead especially because i have dry skin. In terms of coverage, the mineral powder does much better than I anticipated but if I happen to have dry patches that day, the foundation will tend to cling to them just a little bit, enough to annoy me slightly. If my skin is good however, this performs really well. For reference, my skin is combination during summer and dry in winter. It has a bit of a creamy finish despite being powder, which i absolutely love and is easy to blend, therefore looking very natural. I haven't tried the laura mercier mineral primer underneath but I use clarins instant smooth perfecting touch and it works quite well. As I consider this to be a more summer foundation, I am also quite curious to see how it performs after swimming or sweating excessively. For the few weeks that I have used this, it has been quite temperate, cool weather and I haven't experienced any streaking or patches forming even after 6+ hours.

Edit: I have used this throughout the summer and autumn and it has been perfect, i never reach for any other foundation because i love the feel of this on my skin and the finish is the best i have ever seen. People comment on my 'perfect skin' even though it definately is not perfect! It does however get slightly dewy after a few hours in really hot weather so i will need to powder my t-zone 2-3 times during the day and occasionally i will spray skindinavia on in the morning if i really need it to stay. My favourite summer routine is to mix it with Jane iredale Pure pressed base because i barely have to powder all day, maybe once. During autumn i found it worked perfectly on its own or with a touch of jane iredale. However right now it starting winter and my skin has gotten significantly drier, as it does, and so i use this by itself with a good layer of clarins instant smooth perfecting touch underneath. It works fairly well for now but i can see myself needing to use liquid in the near future which i am surprisingly dreading. I love this foundation to bits!

2nd edit: Its been a while since i reviewed this and my skin has somehow become a lot oiler than it used to be, i'm still dry in winter but in summer i tend to get really oily. So this has now become a winter-only foundation which is fine, i think its a bit hard to expected foundation or skincare to be the perfect product all year round.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/17/2010 6:04:00 AM More reviews by greenteanah

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is seriously a Godsend! I have normal skin that can be on the dry side depending on the weather and products I use. I just about never get oily, and I have pretty good skin in general. I do have some slight uneven skin tone and spots here and there, and redness around my nose. This mineral powder is perfect for me! It's the only powder I've found that actually gives you a dewy glow instead of making your skin look fake, matte, and powdery/cakey! I don't know how Laura Mercier pulled it off, but she did. It has buildable coverage (it can give just as much coverage as my liquid foundations from Nars & Makeup Forever if you so desire) and it makes your skin look beautiful and naturally flawless! I use it every day now with a kabuki brush. I apply a little amount so that my skin still shows through. It just gives my face a very glowy, even look. This beats using a regular face powder (like my MAC MSFN, which is what I used to use daily) because it has more coverage yet it looks more natural because it doesn't get powdery nearly as easily. It's also better for everyday use than liquid foundation because it has fewer ingredients and is much healthier for your skin. I love my Nars Sheer Glow but I save it only for special events because I find it doesn't look great after a long day. This Laura Mercier powder has great staying power and doesn't turn blotchy or uneven on your skin at the end of the day. I cannot express how much I love this mineral powder; I gave up on mineral makeup after trying Everyday Minerals and Bare Minerals (they were too dry and matte-looking for my taste), but this LM powder beats them both hands-down. My HG powder foundation for everyday use! I have a feeling I'll be using this for the rest of my life.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2010 1:51:00 PM More reviews by Cristy1970

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Okay, let me start by saying that I am so NOT a fan of most mineral powder makeup in general; it's messy, it accentuates my pores, it looks cakey and chalky and heavy and just gross. This mineral makeup changed my mind. It is messy, yes, (took off one lippie for that) but it also has a sifter thing-y that you can close for when you travel---pretty clever, Laura! As for the color match, mine is perfect: Rich Vanilla (for reference, I wear LM Oil-Free foundation in Vanilla Beige and MAC Studio Finish in NC35) The finish is sublimely gorgeous; luminous, but not shiny, covers everything, but not too heavy. No fragrance (I hate fragrance) and it has SPF 15. I get compliments when I wear this makeup; friends have told me my skin just looks so pretty and smooth and luminous (yes, they used the word 'luminous'!) I feel it is worth shelling out the money for. And it has lasted me, like, a year and a half. I buff it on with a kabuki brush then, go through with a makeup sponge and work it in on and around my nose, hairline and chin. It goes on well over Smashbox PhotoFinish primer, too- just make sure you let the primer dry first. It doesn't control oil very well, but nothing does; I've got about 25 years of foundation-wearing experience to know that! If you want it more matte, you can dust a light, matte loose powder on top. (I sometimes do that with LM Loose Powder, but not always) So if you want to try mineral makeup, but don't like Bare Escentuals or some of the others, like me, you may want to give this one a try!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No