October 25, 2014 | 1515 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 11/24/2012 5:28:00 PM More reviews by dlasky

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I tried this after reading the reviews, and it is not for me. It has full coverage, which is great. It really does not control all the oil on my face. Worst of all, it broke me out. I'm glad I got a sample before buying.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/23/2012 1:00:00 PM More reviews by anne99415

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Even after using up my entire bottle of Mat Velvet, I'm unsure if I would buy again. It has great coverage, and the shade matches my skin perfectly. I can't remember the shade number since I think it i only printed on the box and not the actual product itself, but I believe it is the second lightest shade. I've used this since July and I am just about out now at the end of November. So for the price, I think it does last a reasonable amount of time ($45 CAD for 5 months of product). The bottle is alright, it worked very well until the product got low, now I have to store it upside down or else it is very difficult to get the product to come out.
Application is slightly difficult with this as it dries quite quickly. I've tried different makeup brushes, sponges and my fingers, and personally i think it applies best using a stippling brush and working on only one part of your face at a time. You need to really blend this well and apply only a thin layer on well moisturized skin or else it will look cakey. It also really accentuates dry patches, which i am getting more of as winter is approaching. When I used too much, it would also make my skin get oily faster, which is the opposite reason of why I bought this! I have combination skin that gets very oily in the t-zone and I wanted a foundation that will last as I never have time to touch up my makeup throughout the day, and the makeup on my t-zone always wears off or gets cakey quickly.
The lasting ability of this is good, provided that you only use a small layer and set with a tiny bit of powder. Normally at the end of a day of university I notice some shininess in my t-zone but nothing I can't deal with. Usually when I notice my reflection or go to the bathroom throughout the day I don't see any shininess though, so the oil doesn't show up until like 8 or 9 hours of wear.
So overall this definitely isn't a terrible foundation, but I probably won't repurchase simply because I want to try out some different options and see what I like better.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/15/2012 8:00:00 PM More reviews by deevalenzuela

I was previously using MUFE HD foundation but found that my skin was too oily for that foundation so since I wasn't all that disappointed with the brand I decided to try Mat + Velvet. I initially liked it. I wasn't looking for too much coverage, so it was perfect in that aspect, I just needed a foundation to control oil, which this foundation was able to do also. To be honest the only downfall to this foundation for me was that it BROKE ME OUT insanely. I haven't used it in a week and my face is still in recovery mode. I can't mess with this stuff any longer :( On to the next one ...

rated 3 of 5 on 11/14/2012 3:15:00 AM More reviews by SpiffySarahD

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

My skin is very pale, acne-prone, and oily.
I have this foundation in shade 15 Alabaster. The color is awesome! I've finally found something that matches my extremely pale skin. Of course, it isn't perfect, but it is close enough (nobody other than me would notice the color difference). I haven't experienced any oxidation with this foundation. It does transfer, but not too badly.
This foudation is formulated to "hide imperfections, even out skintone, and mattify with a non-oily, perfectly powdered finish. The result is flawless and lasts for hours." It's also supposed to be a "shine controlling, oil-free, water-resistant, complete coverage liquid foundation." It definitely isn't "complete coverage." It has to be built up a lot to achieve a good amount of coverage, but even then it isn't complete coverage. I feel like I ended up using way too much, which isn't okay, considering how much I paid for it. Even after building it up, it still didn't cover my problem spots very well (acne, redness, uneven skin). Also, it just wouldn't stay put on my nose. It would separate soon after application and look terrible, and be completely gone in like an hour or two. It didn't last very well on the rest of my face either. I noticed it began to fade and slide off my skin after a few hours, making it look splotchy and just generally awful. It still happened even when I used my Smashbox primer and Urban Decay All Nighter setting spray with it! It settled into my pores and accentuated dry spots I didn't even know I had, even after exfoliating and heavily moisturizing my face. No matter how many different application methods I used, and no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't get it to look smooth. It always ended up looking really cakey. When I first applied it, it looked alright, but it didn't take long before it started looking bad. It doesn't seem to control oil very well either. Revlon Colorstay seems to last better than this stuff does!

Pros:
-excellent color selection, especially for very pale skin
-does not irritate skin
-packaging is hygienic and very practical (squeeze bottle with small tip)
-no weird smell
-easy to remove at the end of the day

Cons:
-does not last
-accentuates problems on skin, rather than covering them
-does not control oil
-not full coverage/ tedious to build decent amount of coverage
-cakey-looking
-expensive/ not worth price

I was so excited to find a foundation that matched my pale skin, but was extremely disappointed with its performance. It definitely isn't worth the price, in my opinion. I will be returning it.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2012 3:13:00 PM More reviews by dashcrabtree

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

.I was initially drawn to this foundation simply because it offers one of the palest shades available in non-theatrical makeup lines but I ended up really loving it on its own merits. I have very dry skin, so I wasn't sure I would appreciate the promised 'Mat' effect, but it really respects my poor dehydrated skin and doesn't feel tight or cakey. The rosy undertone of my particular shade is really beautiful and natural (and doesn't oxidize after a time) and the finish itself is like that of healthy and very slightly dewy skin... which I don't usually associate with mattifying foundations. I would recommend this to anyone who wants a very polished look without either drying out their skin or making it feel slick!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/7/2012 5:35:00 PM More reviews by hlektra9

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

:) Love this foundation! Never break me out, lovely medium coverage and mat finish! I find the perfect match in 040 for my light-medium skin tone. Just perfect! Never let me down!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2012 10:02:00 PM More reviews by 88angels

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Medium to Full Coverage and very buildable. several years ago I used this foundation for awhile on many clients before switching to the MU Forever's HD Foundation. It has a beautiful silky satin finish but can get a little cakey with long wear and under hot lights all day. It can also dry out and get a bit thick on the shelf.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2012 1:17:00 PM More reviews by Tartlette

I wanted to like this foundation..I really did. After reading many positive reviews I finally decided to purchase this. I had high hopes that this would be a high performing foundation for my combination-oily skin.

First of all, the packaging - I do not like it at all. I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but I have issues with the product gushing out - many times I end up with way too much product. You cannot see through this packaging so it is hard to tell how much product you have left. The positive is it feels lightweight and is easy for travel.

I find the colour selection to be not that great with this foundation - I found one that matches my pale skin fairly well, but there was not much to choose from (at least in my Sephora).

The coverage that this foundation is supposed to give is medium to full, and I see a lot of reviewers referring to this as "full coverage". I would personally not classify this as full coverage, but rather medium coverage. In my opinion this foundation is NOT buildable. My face ends up looking far too cakey if I use too much of this. I am looking for decent coverage with my foundations, as I'm looking to cover up redness. This did an "ok" job of that - nothing special. The product just sits in my pores and clings to any dry patches - this is another reason why I say this is NOT a layering foundation. This foundation does not at all give me a natural look and feels thick on my skin. I would suggest to start with a very small amount of product - if you want to add more do it in very small layers.

Application of this foundation is "ok". I have tried applying with fingers, a buffing brush and foundation brush and I prefer a buffing brush. Using a buffing brush gives me the best coverage while blending it into the skin as best that it can. I found using a foundation brush too streaky and fingers didn't provide enough coverage and the product seemed to "wipe away" but without looking like anything was covered.

Lasting power is terrible - I expected so much more from this foundation. My skin becomes very oily by mid-day, and quite honestly my skin usually has some oil peaking through, but even more so when I use this. I have been testing this foundation for quite some time, and in different seasons and I get the result in both winter and summer. Once my skin starts to get a little oily, this foundation seems to just slide off. The same thing goes during hot, humid summers - this just melts away. No matter when I tried using this, my face looked like a greasy mess half way through the day. Just to reference I have tried this foundation with primers and finishing spray and get the same result no matter what.

I would not, and will not purchase this foundation again. I will finish up what I have because I do not like to waste, but never again will I buy this product. VERY disappointed.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/28/2012 3:44:00 PM More reviews by BrigitteBardot

I really like this EXCEPT I look a little pale with the color I have (which is the lightest). I am fair-skinned, but perhaps the color was a little too light? I think I will stick with foundations without any titanium or zinc oxide to be on the safe side for photos. I did like the coverage/finish of this a lot, it's absolutely perfect.

As for causing breakouts, I'm not sure. The clarity of my skin seems to depend more upon the quality of my diet, followed by skin care. I don't think full-coverage foundations are ideal for everyday wear though. Skin needs to breathe!

If only I would consistently photograph perfectly with this! It looks so beautiful on. If I can't find a similar product without sunscreen ingredients, I may just come back to this and go for a darker color.

Update: This looks so bad now that I'm using more acne treatments. It accentuates the slightest dryness.
Update: Mixing the Alabaster and Ivory gives me a good color match. (Still annoying to have to mix! I wish Laura Mercier never changed their formulas, cause I had my perfect color with them.) After reading review after review saying this photographs great and taking into consideration the package says this MAY contain titanium dioxide, my opinion is us fair-skinned gals should opt for a different foundation (at least for flash photos). Even though they do make great products and are known in particular for their foundations, I just can't seem to have the best luck with Make Up For Ever.

Also, with the shade 20, it does seem to oxidize on me.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/28/2012 2:26:00 AM More reviews by boyineedyou

not good for covering pores at all!!!!