November 26, 2014 | 1252 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 12/5/2012 2:54:00 PM More reviews by xxkelsey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

A GUY in my office just told me my skin looks great today. That's what prompted me to write this review. I struggle with oily skin and I'm always looking for new products to help cope. I actually bought this stuff about a year ago and hated it. Thank goodness I put in in my train case instead of tossing it in the garbage. I gave it another shot a few weeks ago when I ran out of MUFE HD. This time I tried applying with a brush instead of my fingers.

I dot this all over my face, spray my brush (UD Optical Blurring) with UD All-Nighter Setting Spray, and blend away... I get the most flawless finish! After a little bit of concealer (Maybelline Age-Rewind), I set everything with MUFE Super Matte Loose Powder in their universal shade.

Yet again I've cut down on the blotting! Will continue to use this stuff for sure! For reference, I have been matched to NW25 at MAC (though felt it was slightly pink), MUFE HD in 125, and shade #40 in MUFE Mat Velvet Plus.

Hope this helps!!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/2/2012 12:24:00 AM More reviews by lindzmcm4

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

If you have acne-prone, oily and scarred skin then I highly recommend this full coverage foundation. It lasts all day and after a couple hours and my natural oils start to come through I do not look greasy, but healthy! It looks natural and does not feel nearly as heavy as something like ELDW, which made me feel like I had a mask on. It blended out beautifully with my Real Techniques Expert Face Brush. My only gripe is the price, but since it doesn't break me out and since I don't have to think about it once I apply it I will continue to repurchase. I also love that it does not contain SPF. Give it a try!!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/1/2012 11:46:00 PM More reviews by PrisVal03

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought this foundation because it is a matte foundation and I do have oily skin, I went to sephora and they color matched me to the number 30..well I got home and put it on the next day and it looked horrible I have a warm undertone and this foundation looked pink on me, it did not look good at all. It was super heavy on my skin and looked extremely cakey. I've had it in my make up drawer for months and have only used it maybe twice, it was a waste of money and I will definitely not repurchase it.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2012 12:33:00 PM More reviews by ggarcia

I don't know why this product has a 61%, it should be higher!!! i j ust started using this 1 week ago and while it might be too soon for some people to do a review, it's not soon for me, since i have acne prone skin and if my skin does not like something, it doesnt take a week to react to it. it takes one day! I have been a Revlon Colorstay Fan for years! bottle after bottle, and although i really like it, i tried this one because it's supposed to be mattifying and have more of a yellow undertone, i caved in and purchased it. It was $24 for me because I bought it at Nigel's and I get the make up artist discount, YAY!! Anyway on to the review, I LOVE IT! It covers really well. it is mattiying but it still has a subtle glow to the skin and it really gives you a true to skin appearance. it doesnt look like you have a caked on face and i love overall the consistency, color and finish of it. My oil is controlled with this foundation. I also started using the banana poudre by Ben Nye and yes that's another review, but both together=AMAZING! yes yes I WILL re-purchase it!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/29/2012 2:08:00 PM More reviews by JMarie580

I have a love affair with this foundation! I have been using this foundation for 3 years and it is seriously my go-to foundation. I have combo skin that leans on the side of oily and I'm super blemish prone so I have to be careful with what I put on my face. This product has never caused me to breakout, which is major! Also, this foundation keeps the oil at bay although I do have to use a setting powder on top. It provides medium to full coverage that you can definitely build to full coverage if you need to cover blemishes or anything like that. I'm so glad I found this foundation and I can wear it for an 8 hour workday or for a night out and it doesn't budge unlike the MUFE hd foundation. Minus one star though because during the winter months the foundation is a little on the drying side so you have to use a really good moisturizer underneath.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/28/2012 10:58:00 AM More reviews by laawhitegirl

I have pretty oily skin so when I first started using makeup and foundations, I was pretty excited to find this foundation. However this is that foundation that is so easy to look cakey with. I know its matte but I think when you put it on after a while it dries up on you.

I try to mix this foundation with others. For example my revlon color stay is too dark for me in the winter so I mix it with this foundation to lighten it up.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/25/2012 5:41:00 PM More reviews by mmviv

I was excited about this because I was able to find a shade that matched my skin exactly. But after using it a few times I find it cakes up and is difficult to blend. Also, it hasn't done much to control oil, and tends to leave my skin feeling dry after a while. This foundation does provide good coverage though, so it wasn't a total waste of money. I won't by it again.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/24/2012 5:28:00 PM More reviews by dlasky

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I tried this after reading the reviews, and it is not for me. It has full coverage, which is great. It really does not control all the oil on my face. Worst of all, it broke me out. I'm glad I got a sample before buying.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/23/2012 1:00:00 PM More reviews by anne99415

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Even after using up my entire bottle of Mat Velvet, I'm unsure if I would buy again. It has great coverage, and the shade matches my skin perfectly. I can't remember the shade number since I think it i only printed on the box and not the actual product itself, but I believe it is the second lightest shade. I've used this since July and I am just about out now at the end of November. So for the price, I think it does last a reasonable amount of time ($45 CAD for 5 months of product). The bottle is alright, it worked very well until the product got low, now I have to store it upside down or else it is very difficult to get the product to come out.
Application is slightly difficult with this as it dries quite quickly. I've tried different makeup brushes, sponges and my fingers, and personally i think it applies best using a stippling brush and working on only one part of your face at a time. You need to really blend this well and apply only a thin layer on well moisturized skin or else it will look cakey. It also really accentuates dry patches, which i am getting more of as winter is approaching. When I used too much, it would also make my skin get oily faster, which is the opposite reason of why I bought this! I have combination skin that gets very oily in the t-zone and I wanted a foundation that will last as I never have time to touch up my makeup throughout the day, and the makeup on my t-zone always wears off or gets cakey quickly.
The lasting ability of this is good, provided that you only use a small layer and set with a tiny bit of powder. Normally at the end of a day of university I notice some shininess in my t-zone but nothing I can't deal with. Usually when I notice my reflection or go to the bathroom throughout the day I don't see any shininess though, so the oil doesn't show up until like 8 or 9 hours of wear.
So overall this definitely isn't a terrible foundation, but I probably won't repurchase simply because I want to try out some different options and see what I like better.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/15/2012 8:00:00 PM More reviews by deevalenzuela

I was previously using MUFE HD foundation but found that my skin was too oily for that foundation so since I wasn't all that disappointed with the brand I decided to try Mat + Velvet. I initially liked it. I wasn't looking for too much coverage, so it was perfect in that aspect, I just needed a foundation to control oil, which this foundation was able to do also. To be honest the only downfall to this foundation for me was that it BROKE ME OUT insanely. I haven't used it in a week and my face is still in recovery mode. I can't mess with this stuff any longer :( On to the next one ...