December 20, 2014 | 1021 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - beautyblender - the sponge

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2013 4:42:00 PM More reviews by StephKatz1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Forsure my HG misc. tool.

The second I tried this I was angry with myself for never trying it before!!

Make sure you damp the sponge perfectly before use and then apply everything and you will be so delighted

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2013 2:34:00 AM More reviews by Abbyb717

OMG OMG OMG I LOOOOOOVE MY BEAUTY BLENDER! My makeup would be a TRAIN WRECK without it. It blends so flawlessly and has saved my foundation and concealer application and finish from the disaster it was in. Before, makeup was a hassle. It took FOREVER to blend, and even after all the blending it never looked natural or flawless whatsoever. My foundation always looked terrible. People would comment, and it was just hurtful that it looked THAT BAD. But I discovered these little angels when my friend told me she bought a couple of these off Sephora .. she told me it was "the new thing", but I was hesitant because of the price tag.. but I am SO glad I caved in and splurged on this. I will buy these till the day I die. I am completely SOLD. It's worth every single penny. I don't care about the inconvenience of washing it all the time because of the prevalence of bacteria. Almost all of us use a tool to apply makeup so we're always going to have to clean something. I just don't get the big deal about "OMG bacteria" about this product. How is this any different than a brush? Brushes carry tons of bacteria too. Some people are so squeamish about it I guess. All I have to say is just clean it religiously if it's that big of a deal! I wash mine pretty consistently, and have not been completely grossed out once. All you have to do is keep it clean, just like any other makeup tool and there won't be bacteria accumulating on it.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/31/2013 10:18:00 PM More reviews by RixTrix

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this sponge. I get a flawless application that I definitely can't achieve with any dupe sponges. It is worth a try if you love liquid foundation!!!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/31/2013 9:17:00 PM More reviews by cathykl

Not for me.

Ridiculously overpriced. Impossible to keep sanitary and clean. I know some people love it and that's fine but I don't.

I know people will say just wash it in warm water/alcohol/various soaps. I work in a hospital and there is a reason hospitals and medical facilities simply do NOT use any type of sponges for anything, unless they are disposed of immediately. Sponges are a breeding ground for bacteria of all sorts and there is no way you can ensure it is completely disinfected unless maybe you microwaved it with sanitizer. Really.I don't feel the results are worth all that fuss.

Second, I prefer to use a smaller triangular wedge or my Sephora Airbrush Brush. It looks way more natural and doesn't leave that weird sponge-y texture the beautyblender does. Also I can toss my little wedge after using it several times without spending a fortune on a new one. A pack of 20 will set me back $1.00 Although this is wasteful so I prefer the brush. The brush can easily be washed in detergent soaps or with alcohol to sanitize. I find the beautyblender just soaks up all the foundation even if I use it damp (and leaving it even slightly damp creates a lovely breeding party for bacteria). Takes too much time to blend around face compared to my brush which takes less than 2 minutes and looks 100x better.

All in all I think this is just a marketing gimmick, like La Mer cream only instead of them charging you $200 for a tub of Vaseline - some company is charging you $20 for nothing more than a 5 cent sponge. Funny enough, my friend worked in a sponge factory and it costs them even less than 5 cents to make something similiar. Complete rubbish, save your money.

32 out of 40 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2013 5:24:00 PM More reviews by JennyWalsh1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I found the Beautyblender sponge to be too small to handle very well. I looked for a refund

The company was difficult when I tried to contact them for a refund. They stated they were sorry I was disspointed with their product but could not issue me a refund.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2013 10:20:00 AM More reviews by macmuse

Age: Unknown Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

CLEANING: I will start by addressing the hard-to-get-clean / stained issue. I too had that problem when I immediately tried to wash it after applying makeup. It is as though the water "sets" the stain and it will not wash out completely.

As I found out by fluke, the trick is to apply the makeup, then let the sponge DRY with the makeup on it -- do not wash it yet. The next day, when you are ready to apply your makeup, run it under the water and by the second squeeze, the makeup will be all gone and the sponge will look good as new. Then you can add your soap and wash it before applying the new makeup. Afterwards, let it dry again with the makeup on it. The sponge (and this goes for the dupes too) will stay looking brand new by doing it this way.

Now for the review: I bought the Beauty Blender after having tried a couple dupes, which had also greatly improved the look of my makeup. Over the years I've had a harder time getting makeup to not look cakey or uh, plain bad... because my skin has become drier. Tried different moisturizers underneath, different makeup, all the same results. (Except I will say the Clinique Moisture surge did help a lot with the look of the makeup--I could even dab it over top cakey-looking makeup and it would make it look better). However, these sponges made enough of a difference that I decided to buy the real thing (BB). I can now put on makeup even without moisturizer underneath (I do spritz with some rosewater and glycerine first--Heritage Products) and this little sponge makes the makeup look like great skin. It is truly a game-changer for me. From seeing how these sponges work, I now think that all the makeup that I had returned to the store due to looking bad on me would have now worked with this sponge, because all makeup seems to look good now.

I will say though, that with some thinner makeups, the BB leaves more of a textured imprint because it has more of a porous texture than my dupe sponges which have a tighter porous structure. (Revive and Silk Naturals). The other thing is: when purchasing in a store, try to look at the flat end that puts the makeup on. My first BB had a dimple on it which made an imprint on the makeup, so I exchanged it for another. Those would be my only negatives. So I just use the dupe in this case.

BTW, the Silk Naturals black sponge is the closest one I found to the BB in softness, and it does a great job too. I alternate, and that will keep the BB in good shape beyond its 3-month life expectancy, which is fairly short considering the price of this thing.

There definitely is a difference with these sponges in looks and feel: they are not the same.
- The BB is very soft and squishy (easily collapsible when squeezed). The porous texture is a little more pronounced than the dupes--it kind of looks like mousse (the dessert). This sponge bounces on your face better than the others because it is so very soft. It does not "push" or stretch your skin but conforms to it.
- The Revive is more dense and firm, so does not squeeze as easily (not very squishy), and the texture is tighter (more than those triangle white sponges though--it's sort of a unique texture, really). It was the first sponge I bought. I noticed my makeup looked better with it than by using my fingers, which is what made me pursue this method. Its texture is good with thinner watery-type makeups because its surface is smoother than the BB, so with a thin makeup, it did not leave a texture thumbprint (at least in my experience). However with thicker makeup, it looked a little more pronounced. It seemed to do better with certain makeups (e.g. Maybelline Dream Smooth Mousse looked good; Maybelline BB cream and Clinique Even Better did not).
- The SIlk Naturals one is not quite as spongy as the BB but much more so than the Revive. Its texture/porousness and firmness is in between the BB and the Revive. I would say it is the middle ground between the BB and the Revive. It does an excellent job with all the makeups I've tried, including the thinner watery ones. They look smooth and like skin.
- Bella is similar to Revive and looks much like the same texture except maybe slightly softer.
- CVS Essence of Beauty - much stiffer when compared to the others, and unlike any of these other ones - like a cheap latex-y sponge. It was awful, and so were the makeup results. I don't recommend that one.

All of them puff up to become quite large when immersing in water then squeezing out the excess (the way they are supposed to be used). The CVS one still stayed too firm, in comparison to the others. The Bella and Revive need to be soaked well or else they look a little bit like they have cellulite (when you squeeze them they dimple unevenly); but when they are fully soaked, they are fine.

If I had to choose a dupe, it would be the Silk Naturals first, because it is the closest I've found to the BB (even though it isn't shaped the same); then the Revive or Bella (bought at Marshalls or TJ Maxx). The CVS one was the only one I returned to the store.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2013 11:28:00 PM More reviews by almost

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This tool is worth the hype. Provides even, dewy coverage. If you want heavier coverage I might try using this with a primer to help hide pores, etc. My face doesn't look nearly as good compared to the beautyblender when I use my hands to apply foundation. A must-have for your makeup kit!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/14/2013 12:32:00 PM More reviews by beautygroove

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I've heard so many great reviews about this little sponge and I wanted to try it myself. So I went ahead and bought one at Sephora yesterday for $20. I tested it out with liquid foundation and it applies beautifully. Just dot the foundation all over your face with fingers first. All I did was bounce it all over my face with the beauty blender. The coverage was amazing and I love how soft it feels. It also felt less messier than applying with a brush. The only thing is the price of course. And I've yet to find an easy way to clean it and get all the foundation off. Overall, I love this sponge so much because it makes everything so much easier.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2013 11:15:00 AM More reviews by rhamed9412

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my favorite applicator for any foundation that i have used!! It makes my skin look flawless and it applies the foundation very quickly..

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2013 8:41:00 PM More reviews by leavingthingsbehind

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

The ingenious invention that is the Beauty Blender beats in my opinion any foundation brush, hands down.

I have several expensive foundations that I was not using due to the difficulty in application (they looked heavy and very obvious on the skin when applied with fingers, streaky when applied with a brush - hello Dior Forever) but now applied with BB these jumped to the top of the list of my absolute favourites!

I cannot agree however that this is much different to some much cheaper make up sponges. Before the BB I was using one from Essence (a German brand that I unfortunately cannot get in UK, it was a gift from my friend) that I've left accidentally behind in a hotel room and I also have another by Real Techniques, that lives in my travel makeup bag. Personally I do not see much difference - there isn't any difference in the quality of sponge, the way it applies makeup or washes after use.

Luckily I do not own many expensive brushes because I would have been jolly furious - this little pink utensil works with a flawless application of the trickiest of foundations, as well as concealer (that pointy tip is such a wonderful idea!) and all of my cream blushes.

There are two gripes with this sponge imho - packing it for travel and an outrageous price at Sephora if you would need to replace one. I would however buy it back in a heartbeat hence 5 star rating.