April 18, 2014 | 1795 users online

Powder - Alima - Satin Matte Mineral Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 11/16/2008 3:08:00 PM More reviews by babyhera

I think that this foundation formula is hit or miss in terms of coverage and overall satisfaction. I do believe that it will NOT break you out so it definitely has that going for it. I tried it in several colors and couldn't find a match so my review is more formula based. It does seem like it kind of sits there and doesn't look totally natural but it will even out skin tone. I am newish to minerals so my technique is probably off. I like Alima as a company and want to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I think that the zinc oxide actually helped my skin a lot in the beginning then the weather changed and I started to get very dry (I live in Southern California). So I wholeheartedly recommend this to someone struggling with acne because it might help your skin while giving it a modicum of coverage. I am really wanting to love this foundation but the samples are kind of expensive 1.50 for a smaller amount than what EDM gives for free. And the double edged sword of having soo many colors to choose from does honestly make initial color selection a pain (plus the aforementioned expense). I've ordered from them twice and the shipping is exquisitely fast and things arrive beautifully packaged. My recommendation is that if you're feeling a little flush to first start with Alima and then move on to EDM once you are a little more broke.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 10/30/2008 4:05:00 PM More reviews by tobyleota

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse Eyes: Green

I really wanted to like this product. It looked great for about 30 minutes, then, it looked like I had smeared some tan colored dirt (very) randomly on my face. I tried it with several different primers, but it reacted quite badly with my very oily skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/18/2008 6:21:00 PM More reviews by sweetheart519

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

First impression is that I don't like it as well as Everyday Minerals foundation. It seems to sit on top of my skin more, and looks more fake. Then kinda gets a greasy look to it after a little while, yet settling into lines in other places. Maybe I put a little too much? Either way, it seems good quality and they have good color selections. Their customer service is great. I currently prefer the Everyday Mineral Original Glo foundation, it's a bit more natural for me. I also prefer their selections of concealers and blushes, which I think are superior.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2008 1:30:00 AM More reviews by Chloeclover

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Alima has amazing customer service; I asked for some help on finding my shades through e-mail and an employee asked some questions from the colors and brands I've used and she gave me some colors to choose from. It took me many times to find the right shade from the 5 she told me but the product is incredible. My face has a flawless and matte finish! My face is very oily and acne prone. Although I used MAC Blot Powder for the finishing step and to blot.. I only had to apply that after i applied Alima and that was it. The whole day my face stayed matte! From 8Am to 1pm I still looked shineless :D

EDIT: I prefer using liquid foundation as it stays on longer and I find that mineral foundations tend to reveal fine lines and emphasize the pores...... D:

rated 4 of 5 on 10/9/2008 12:16:00 AM More reviews by jaxy1

I might purchase this foundation once my skin clears up and maybe after i get laser treatments for my acne scars. Reason i say this is because this foundation provides light/medium coverage. Which isnt enough coverage for me or anyone who is looking to cover flaws other then evening up skin tone. I did love the way it felt on my skin and the way it blended with such ease. Its probably the easiest MMU brand i have tried to blend and apply. I found my perfect shade with WARM 3. It wasnt powdery at all on me and it lasted a good while.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2008 10:23:00 AM More reviews by uraznbabygurl

Not bad, but I don't think it's for me. I think many customers will be in awe of extensive range of colors but I was unable to find a match among the samples I got: B3 (way too pink), W3 (too light and peachy), and G3 (right depth, but too yellow). It does look natural and feels light, but there's no point in buying again if the colors don't match.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2008 8:06:00 PM More reviews by MumAgain

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

OMG!!! My skin has never looked so good! I can't even achieve this same finish with EDM which I have to buff to death and still doesn't last as long. Alima lasts all day and stays colour-true (I'm Warm 4 / MAC NC40). The coverage is excellent and very buildable and I can't see my pores YAY! Classy packaging unlike the cheap EDM containers that make a hell of a mess. Customer service and shipping to Australia is the best. Sorry Glominerals but this is my new HG of mineral makeup!

Update 6/29/2009 This has started to make my skin itch especially during hot weather so I have stopped using this for now and sticking to liquid foundation.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/15/2008 4:29:00 PM More reviews by sixdemonbag

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a sad review to write. When Philosophy discontinued my tried and true 4-in-1 Supernatural Foundation (I know, lots of people didn't like this one, but it was perfect for me in shade, coverage and application), I had to reluctantly search for something new. I tried, lord knows I tried to love Alima foundation. I purchased sample after sample, first trying the logical choices alone, then mixing and matching first two, then three together.. even four once in a fevered attempt to find the perfect variables. Each day hoping I was going to have my a-ha! moment. But alas, no. I spent almost a full month trying to hit on my perfect shade, bundles arriving weekly, full of promise.. but all I ended up with was a mountain of tiny empty plastic jars and a sad discolored face. How was this possible with their impressive color selection? I am fair, with plenty of yellow undertones... so why did the palest of the pales and yellowest of yellows STILL leave me with a dark ruddy undertone to my skin? This one just wasn't made for me.... I found the right foundation in, of all places, my local drugstore. Physician's Formula. Go figure. Oh btw... the Alima brushes are awesome. I still use the foundation and blush brushes with my Physician's Formula (whose brushes leave much to be desired). To end on yet another positive note for Alima, I love their stance on purity and environmentalism (they recycle the jars if you send them back). Kudos for that. Wish this one worked out.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2008 2:11:00 AM More reviews by stemi27

I love alima mineral foundation. The best out of the others I've used by far. Best range of colours so can get a perfect match! It took me a three go's to get the perfect colour though, as it looks different from when you first put it on after it fuses with your skin, if you have oily skin it can discolour it slightly... only slightly though. And if you put MAC prep and prime powder on beforehand to soak up the oil it's great. Always check in natural sunlight people! Anyway if you find your perfect match is discolouring don't be shy to use the colour correction powders! They are great also. I've got the pistachio green one to eliminate redness and boy does it work in conjunction with the foundation powder.
Also, make sure you have a decent foundation brush and not put too much on! Alima's one is great.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2008 8:07:00 PM More reviews by dvdgal

I've been using this product for one year now. I like it a lot.
Pros:
1. Inexpensive. You get a huge jar of product and it lasts forever.
2. Alima has the largest color selections on the market so far. I have pale and yellow undertone, which makes it very hard for me to find the right color from other MMUs. But I found it in Alima.
3. Does not break me out. I have acne-prone, oily skin. So, this is the main reason I use Alima.
4. Coverage is good and can last the whole day. Although you will have to reapply during the day if you wanna have a flawless look all day long.
Cons:
1. Alima's primer is no good. Does not do anything for me.
2. Alima's concealer is useless as well. The powder does not cover any of my red scars and just sits on top of my skin all day long. Dry out my under eye skin and still can't cover my dark circle.
3. Finishing powder is not good as well. It's too thick and does not control my oily skin.
Bottom line is Alima's foundation is the best I've used so far. And I have tried Everyday and BareMinerals.