Avene Cleanance soapless gel cleanser for oily skin

The ingredients for the new formula (post December 2014):The new: Avene Thermal Spring Water, (Avene Aqua), Water (Aqua), Sodium Lauroyl Methyl Isethionate, Zinc Coceth Sulfate, Polysorbate 20, Sodium Cocoamphoacetate, Ceteareth-60 Myristyl Glycol, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Citric Acid, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance (Parfum), Glyceryl Laurate, Green 5 (CI61570), Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Hydroxide, Yellow 5 (CI19140), Zinc Gluconate.The ingredients for the old formula: Avene Thermal Spring Water (Avene Aqua), Water, Decyl Glucoside, Polysorbate 20, Ceteareth-60 Myristyl Glycol, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate, Glycerin, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Methyl Gluceth-20, Benzoic Acid, Cetrimonium Bromide, Cucurbita Pepo (pumpkin) Seed Oil, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance, Green 5, Lactic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Yellow 5, Zinc Gluconate

on 4/10/2010 10:26:00 AM

I find this product a little drying for my sensitive combination skin but it does an amazing job at clearing up spots so i continue to use it. I would definitly buy this product again its not a bad price and one bottle has lasted me months!!!

on 3/31/2010 12:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I'll admit I was sort of swindled by the SA at Shoppers Drug Mart. She saw me looking for a face cleanser and gave her pitch about this one. It sounded great... for sensitive skin, soapless, gentle. At the checkout I asked her if I could smell it but she said it has no smell. I should have returned it right away once I opened it because the scent was so strong!

It sat in my cabinet for a good while until I decided to try it again and I have been using it for the past 2 months. I don't expect anything from a good cleanser except for it to cleanse & not leave my skin too dry. This leaves my acne-prone, sensitive skin dry and pink, yet my face still doesn't feel clean. My skin feels somewhat rough after using this.

I now use this product as (expensive) hand soap. I find it takes more effort to work up a lather than other face soaps, but once the lather gets started it foams up very well. To reduce the effort required, I added Summer's Eve feminine wash (which I also didn't like for its intended purpose, but it's great as a clarifying shampoo) to the Avene. I find the combo to make a great hand soap AND face soap, although still a bit drying.

A much better alternative for me is using jojoba oil on a cotton pad to remove my makeup, massaging it in, then rinsing with a hot wash cloth. My skin is so smooth after this! No more DS cleansers for me =)

on 3/30/2010 3:20:00 AM

I bought this after reading reviews and seeing it in Shopper's Drug Mart. I have been having issues with my skin lately, and liked the Clean -Ac moisturizer, so I thought I'd give this a shot.

So far it has definitely gotten rid of my terribly flaking skin around my mouth and nose. It makes my sensitive skin feel very clean and not tight. I don't get itchy from it, and I actually like the smell. The painful pimples I sometimes get have been coming around less and less. I do still have the little skin coloured bumps, but I'm hopeful that this will clean them up. I have been using this product less than a month.

I really like the lid as well. I feel it will travel well and not squirt all over my bag.

I had a couple issues with my face a week or so ago, but it seems to be clearing up. I will edit this if I have either very positive or very negative results.

on 3/23/2010 12:19:00 AM

This is my current go-to cleanser. I use this with my Clarisonic brush day and night and I have noticed a slight improvement on my skin's appearance. I tend to break out less now and this seems to work well with my oily skin. The one thing I dislike about this product is the smell. I guess I can get used to it but it seems pretty strong.

on 3/21/2010 5:36:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral

First of, all, I might not have the right skintype for this product. I'm not reaylly oily, but (which I later realized) due to a change of foundation, I was acne-prone. It is a good cleanser, a little goes a long way, and it will help you get rid of ALL your makeup. But for me, it was way too drying. I'd say it's about as drying as, say, the Clinique soap. Also, considering it's for sensitive skin, why the fragrance (altought the scent is fresh)?

on 3/11/2010 12:23:00 PM

I really like this cleanser, it makes my skin clean and fresh but doesn't dry it. I don't really have oily skin (it's mixed) and I definitely don't have any trouble with acne but this was my dermatologist's prescription. I use this gel two times daily. In the mornings I use a loofah and in the evenings a little facial brush from The Body Shop. A little drop produces enough lather so this product lasts a long time. I've had it for like four months and the bottle has about 60% of product still. I really like this product but I'd prefer something smoother to clean my face in the evenings (like the vitamin E cleanser from TBS).

on 3/3/2010 5:37:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

At first I didn't like this product, but my face really got use to it. I think initially, my face felt a bit weird. But because I got so many facial products, I've decided to hit pan of some of these unused items that I've purchased. Half way through the bottle, I found my face clearing up a lot. My face is less red and I hardly get a zit. My face was still cleared 2 weeks after this, but 1 month after I used it up, my face is getting itchy and blackheads are appearing again. I found out that this product really works for me. I got a bottle and it lasted me for so long. For around $15, this lasted me for almost a year. I really love it and is purchasing my second bottle. If nothing bad happens, I will not update this post.

on 12/27/2009 12:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Broke me out in tiny red dots all over my face. Fragranced.

on 12/23/2009 9:05:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This is my first Avene product and I'm very impressed. For reference, I have hormonal acne (usually around my mouth and chin), some acne scars, and blackheads on my nose. Oily t-zone during summer and dry during the winter.

It is very gentle, and the scent is soothing and subtle. One major gripe I have with other cleansers is that it makes my skin feel tight, dry, and uncomfortable afterwards, until I reach for my moisturizer. But this makes my skin super soft, and no discomfort! It does not strip your skin of its natural oils like harsh cleansers do, but you do feel the difference afterwards. Very refreshing. It lathers well (not too much, not too little... just perfect) and is easy to wash off. I have to add also that it takes off makeup amazingly! Waterproof mascara, eyeliner... everything! I bought this in Korea two summers ago but forgot I had it, and I'm very glad I rediscovered this again. The packaging is great (twist top to open and close) and they give you a lot of product. A dime-sized amount is sufficient.

on 12/21/2009 1:12:00 PM

UPDATE: OMG...this is going to be on my bathroom shelf forever. period.
during the past two weeks i have been in a state of emergency...really. i got HUGE pimples all over my cheeks , for no reason apparently, i didn't change my diet, my products, my face routine, nothing. and i woke up with four zits on each cheek, HUGE and ugly, the disgusting painful type that feels like a cyst inside the skin, and appears like you'll never be able to pop it but it is 'popable'...the gunk and the gross, i can't even describe how grossed and most of all, scared i was...i never had big pimples, not to mention acne. so i was terrified i was starting to get acne lol!
i purchased this cleanser some weeks ago but i had to move, so i had it packed somewhere in some bags, haven't forgotten about it but i had to unpack everything until getting to it. anyways.
i washed my face twice with this and the pimples are gone. woo hoo! it saved my life, i was suffering really bad and i was seriously contemplating booking a visit with a dermatologist. the only pimple-crisis i ever had was in my sophomore year in college, went to a friend's party and slept over her place and used her pillow...because of the dust and the bacteria or her skin cells on her pillow, dunno, i woke up with a raging cluster of pimples all over my jaw line and cheeks...they were gone in less than two days and i knew the reason, so no worries back then. but now i was shocked. and still am, about how great this product works.

my skin is slightly oily, with large pores, can get dry in winter but it's still oily (weird description, i hope there's someone who can recognize themselves in it), i get the occasional monthly pimple on the forehead, but very small, goes away in two days without any special care.

so this stuff saved my life and my money, and other possible complications and subsequent $$$ spending on potential products the dermatologist might have recommended. THIS PRODUCT IS A BLESSING and not it sits on the top shelf in my bathroom, the place of honor. completely recommend it. simply amazing.

I used this a while ago, it was given to me by my friend. I am planning on purchasing it these days because i need it...kinda running out of Coalface and just remembered what a great product this is.

I am scared of getting wrinkles so i am very attentive with aggressive products. i never wash my face with soap or with strong gels like Neutrogena or Clearasil or stuff like that. i am also super attentive with toners, the only one i use is the Nivea Young because it doesn't contain alcohol, it's based on seaweed extracts and works more like an astringent, tightens up the pores and stuff.

anyways. this gel doesn't contain soap, which is great. ofc it has other stuff in it but it is not aggressive at all.

i remember it takes off the makeup really easily, i haven't washed off my mascara with it because i don't wanna use anything strong on my eye area. smells great, contains natural ingredients, the foam is not massive and you can rinse it off easily.

lasts forever, and it really does something except for cleaning your skin, treats imperfections, cleanses pores, all while being super gentle.

i remember my friend (the one who gave this to me as a present) was recommended this product for acne. she had had a very nasty type of acne that left red spots all over her face, and in the same place where the acne had appeared she was getting small pimples all the time. terrible. the pharmacist suggested she should try this gel, combined with Diacneal, the treatment hydrating cream from Avene. and boy did it make a difference! her skin improved in one week and she never experienced breakouts anymore.

i don't have acne or pimples to treat but i have large pores that get clogged very fast, and with my makeup addiction going on, i kinda help my skin get dirty one way or another. this is something i am going to try very soon, because when i was using it i could really tell a difference.

it is not cheap, i think in sweden costs around 300 crowns which is 30 euros. but it will last a long time and it's a very good quality product.