Avene Cleanance soapless gel cleanser for oily skin

3.9

The ingredients for the new formula (post December 2014):The new: Avene Thermal Spring Water, (Avene Aqua), Water (Aqua), Sodium Lauroyl Methyl Isethionate, Zinc Coceth Sulfate, Polysorbate 20, Sodium Cocoamphoacetate, Ceteareth-60 Myristyl Glycol, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Citric Acid, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance (Parfum), Glyceryl Laurate, Green 5 (CI61570), Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Hydroxide, Yellow 5 (CI19140), Zinc Gluconate.The ingredients for the old formula: Avene Thermal Spring Water (Avene Aqua), Water, Decyl Glucoside, Polysorbate 20, Ceteareth-60 Myristyl Glycol, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate, Glycerin, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Methyl Gluceth-20, Benzoic Acid, Cetrimonium Bromide, Cucurbita Pepo (pumpkin) Seed Oil, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance, Green 5, Lactic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Yellow 5, Zinc Gluconate

on 3/21/2010 5:36:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral

First of, all, I might not have the right skintype for this product. I'm not reaylly oily, but (which I later realized) due to a change of foundation, I was acne-prone. It is a good cleanser, a little goes a long way, and it will help you get rid of ALL your makeup. But for me, it was way too drying. I'd say it's about as drying as, say, the Clinique soap. Also, considering it's for sensitive skin, why the fragrance (altought the scent is fresh)?

on 3/11/2010 12:23:00 PM

I really like this cleanser, it makes my skin clean and fresh but doesn't dry it. I don't really have oily skin (it's mixed) and I definitely don't have any trouble with acne but this was my dermatologist's prescription. I use this gel two times daily. In the mornings I use a loofah and in the evenings a little facial brush from The Body Shop. A little drop produces enough lather so this product lasts a long time. I've had it for like four months and the bottle has about 60% of product still. I really like this product but I'd prefer something smoother to clean my face in the evenings (like the vitamin E cleanser from TBS).

on 3/3/2010 5:37:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

At first I didn't like this product, but my face really got use to it. I think initially, my face felt a bit weird. But because I got so many facial products, I've decided to hit pan of some of these unused items that I've purchased. Half way through the bottle, I found my face clearing up a lot. My face is less red and I hardly get a zit. My face was still cleared 2 weeks after this, but 1 month after I used it up, my face is getting itchy and blackheads are appearing again. I found out that this product really works for me. I got a bottle and it lasted me for so long. For around $15, this lasted me for almost a year. I really love it and is purchasing my second bottle. If nothing bad happens, I will not update this post.

on 12/27/2009 12:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Broke me out in tiny red dots all over my face. Fragranced.

on 12/23/2009 9:05:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This is my first Avene product and I'm very impressed. For reference, I have hormonal acne (usually around my mouth and chin), some acne scars, and blackheads on my nose. Oily t-zone during summer and dry during the winter.

It is very gentle, and the scent is soothing and subtle. One major gripe I have with other cleansers is that it makes my skin feel tight, dry, and uncomfortable afterwards, until I reach for my moisturizer. But this makes my skin super soft, and no discomfort! It does not strip your skin of its natural oils like harsh cleansers do, but you do feel the difference afterwards. Very refreshing. It lathers well (not too much, not too little... just perfect) and is easy to wash off. I have to add also that it takes off makeup amazingly! Waterproof mascara, eyeliner... everything! I bought this in Korea two summers ago but forgot I had it, and I'm very glad I rediscovered this again. The packaging is great (twist top to open and close) and they give you a lot of product. A dime-sized amount is sufficient.

on 12/21/2009 1:12:00 PM

UPDATE: OMG...this is going to be on my bathroom shelf forever. period.
during the past two weeks i have been in a state of emergency...really. i got HUGE pimples all over my cheeks , for no reason apparently, i didn't change my diet, my products, my face routine, nothing. and i woke up with four zits on each cheek, HUGE and ugly, the disgusting painful type that feels like a cyst inside the skin, and appears like you'll never be able to pop it but it is 'popable'...the gunk and the gross, i can't even describe how grossed and most of all, scared i was...i never had big pimples, not to mention acne. so i was terrified i was starting to get acne lol!
i purchased this cleanser some weeks ago but i had to move, so i had it packed somewhere in some bags, haven't forgotten about it but i had to unpack everything until getting to it. anyways.
i washed my face twice with this and the pimples are gone. woo hoo! it saved my life, i was suffering really bad and i was seriously contemplating booking a visit with a dermatologist. the only pimple-crisis i ever had was in my sophomore year in college, went to a friend's party and slept over her place and used her pillow...because of the dust and the bacteria or her skin cells on her pillow, dunno, i woke up with a raging cluster of pimples all over my jaw line and cheeks...they were gone in less than two days and i knew the reason, so no worries back then. but now i was shocked. and still am, about how great this product works.

my skin is slightly oily, with large pores, can get dry in winter but it's still oily (weird description, i hope there's someone who can recognize themselves in it), i get the occasional monthly pimple on the forehead, but very small, goes away in two days without any special care.

so this stuff saved my life and my money, and other possible complications and subsequent $$$ spending on potential products the dermatologist might have recommended. THIS PRODUCT IS A BLESSING and not it sits on the top shelf in my bathroom, the place of honor. completely recommend it. simply amazing.

I used this a while ago, it was given to me by my friend. I am planning on purchasing it these days because i need it...kinda running out of Coalface and just remembered what a great product this is.

I am scared of getting wrinkles so i am very attentive with aggressive products. i never wash my face with soap or with strong gels like Neutrogena or Clearasil or stuff like that. i am also super attentive with toners, the only one i use is the Nivea Young because it doesn't contain alcohol, it's based on seaweed extracts and works more like an astringent, tightens up the pores and stuff.

anyways. this gel doesn't contain soap, which is great. ofc it has other stuff in it but it is not aggressive at all.

i remember it takes off the makeup really easily, i haven't washed off my mascara with it because i don't wanna use anything strong on my eye area. smells great, contains natural ingredients, the foam is not massive and you can rinse it off easily.

lasts forever, and it really does something except for cleaning your skin, treats imperfections, cleanses pores, all while being super gentle.

i remember my friend (the one who gave this to me as a present) was recommended this product for acne. she had had a very nasty type of acne that left red spots all over her face, and in the same place where the acne had appeared she was getting small pimples all the time. terrible. the pharmacist suggested she should try this gel, combined with Diacneal, the treatment hydrating cream from Avene. and boy did it make a difference! her skin improved in one week and she never experienced breakouts anymore.

i don't have acne or pimples to treat but i have large pores that get clogged very fast, and with my makeup addiction going on, i kinda help my skin get dirty one way or another. this is something i am going to try very soon, because when i was using it i could really tell a difference.

it is not cheap, i think in sweden costs around 300 crowns which is 30 euros. but it will last a long time and it's a very good quality product.

on 12/21/2009 12:38:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Ive tried SO many different cleansers out there and this one is my fav! Its very gentle but also removes all my makeup completely, even the waterproof mascaras come off very easily. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE how a little goes a long wayyyy....Ive had my bottle for about 8 months or longer and I still have maybe a months worth left, you realli only need about less then a dime size to clean your whole face.

I can also just wash my face with this and go to bed and my skin doesn't feel tight, I have combination skin with dry chin and cheeks and it balances out those parts along with my oily area. LOVES IT!

on 12/19/2009 5:41:00 PM

I love this cleanser so much its the best ive ever used, and ive tried everything out there! I have had very oily problematic skin in the past and since i started using this cleansing gel alongside some other avene products from the cleanance range my skin has cleared right up. It lathers up well and is very gentle on my skin. Doesnt cause my normal type cheeks to become dry at all but througly cleans away all my oil on my t zone. I love the packaging especially the nozzle as it has such a simple idea but so covenient and hygienic. I have been using this cleanser for quite a while and only a little bit has been used. For this product to work effectively you only need a tiny blob of it. A little goes a long way. HG wash off cleanser def!

on 11/26/2009 2:22:00 AM

The doctor recommended this to me at the National Skin Care Centre. Love the smell and texture of it . I have sensitive skin and this cleansing gel is gentle on me. Its a good everyday wash and i'm not going to switch brand unless i find something better.

I rated 4 because of the price and it's not fragrance free.

on 11/21/2009 7:38:00 AM

I got it from my sister, hence I selected 'dirt cheap' :)
It does the job pretty well; lathers into a fine foam, it's not irritating my face at all, which is great since my skin is on the sensitive side.
The bottle is quite big, so this product lasts forever. Been using it for 6 months and I still have loads of it. A good buy, I guess.