MAC Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

4.4

on 3/27/2013 6:27:00 AM

I'm an NC15 in MAC Studio fix, and have spent the last year on a lipstick kick. I've tried loads of different colours but always end up back at Ruby Woo. It's a classic retro blue-red, so makes your teeth look sparkly white. It is very dry, so make sure you exfoliate and moisturise your lips beforehand or it will show up every flaw. Because it is a matt lipstick it will stay on all night. I use this with MAC Cherry lipliner for an amazing bright retro red colour. I didn't give this full marks because of how drying it is.

on 3/14/2013 10:24:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Indeed it's a pretty colour but this matte texture is so dry that it doesn't last long so long. If you're not so much about the colour I recommend you try Russian Red ;)

on 3/12/2013 9:05:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I used to consider revlon's really red as my HG red. A beautiful and classy red but it dried my lips out so badly. When I first got ruby woo I was disgusted with how it dragged across my lips....it is not matte...it is a stick of color that drags painfully. But of course the red held up all day and did not make my lips flake and dry like revlon. It is such a beautiful color and I get so many stares from men and women alike when I wear it. It flatters my yellow toned nc30 skin and I bet will look even better in the winter with my nc25 tone. I layer revlon lip butter in tutti fruity over this and it looks absolutely juicy and a fresh spin on a classic red. Not too cool toned and never turns fuchsia. I'm impressed. It is bold but not crash.

on 3/6/2013 8:10:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

Warning...if you're not a confident woman or are not comfortable with people looking at you, then this lipstick is NOT for you! Ruby Woo is by far the best red lipstick on the market in my opinion. Yes, as other reviewers have said, it's very very matte and very drying, but this quality is what helps to make this lipstick last all day and all night. This lipstick is the type of matte red that was worn in the 40s, so if you're looking for that 40s/50s pinup girl look, then this is the red for you. As others have said, it's a bluish red and works great for dark skintones. I'm what others would consider to be medium dark (like Sanaa Lathan or Gabrielle Union) and it works perfectly for my skintone.
After only one application, Ruby Woo doesn't budge, and when I say it doesn't budge, I mean I literally put it on in the morning and I don't have to touch it up, even after eating and drinking. The first time I wore this I had to check periodically to make sure that it wasn't really fading as I hadn't touched it up all day and to my surprise it looked just like it did when I put it on. It does transfer a little bit when drinking, but the color still stays true. I also play roller derby and wear this for all of our bouts and even after sweating and rough-housing with other players, this lipstick STILL didn't budge.
For roller derby bouts I wear the lipstick like it is over Brick lipliner from MAC (perfect match), but when I wear Ruby Woo to work, I take Burgundy lipliner (also from MAC) and color that all over the lip over the Ruby Woo and it tones the brightness down a bit to make it more work appropriate. The Burgundy just slightly darkens the lipstick while still being able to keep the lipstick nice and red. I've gotten tons and tons of compliments on this lipstick and I've noticed that sometimes people will do a double take because it just screams look at me! I'm definitely not someone who vies for attention, but I am very confident in my self and know who I am and what I'm all about, and that's kind of the attitude you have to have when wearing this.

on 2/27/2013 9:16:00 PM

This is my very 1st lipstick and I bought it cause my hubby wanted me to wear red lol i love the staying power of this lipstick but i hate that it dries my lips bad

I was allergic to lippies. My lips get itchy and i get rashes around my lip area. For years, I wasn't really wearing any, i was afraid. It was boring. Not until, I got a job which requires me wearing full makeup. The makeup artist used MAC lippies on me. It makes your lips dry but i pair it with MAC lip conditioner to moisturize my lips first before putting ruby woo on. I'm a believer! Color brightens my face. It doesn't scatter because it's matte. It doesn't go to my front teeth after eating or talking too much unlike MAC's Russian red. It didn't give me rash and no itchiness anymore. I will definitely buy this! Again!! It's always sold out though! The best red lipstick, so far..

on 2/8/2013 2:42:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I loved a lot of things about Ruby Woo, but I probably won't end up getting it again.

The pros, first! After you apply Ruby Woo, it is going to last all day. There's very little transfer while eating or drinking, which is pretty rad. It's a fabulous matte, and dishes up a very classic look that I loved. The colour is very noticeable, and you'll be sure to get many compliments! Overall, very good quality product!

As for cons, as you may have read before, this lip stick is suuuuuuuper dry. Even when I prepped my lips super well and put a little chapstick on after the fact, my lips sometimes still felt like two prominent deserts colliding at my mouth. It was something I got used to after a while, but it was a definite set back.

Another con was more personal for me, as I have a lot of pinkish and purplish hues in my skin (I've the delightful skin tone of a pale Irish potato, sadly), and lipsticks that have blue and purpley undertones sometimes are less than flattering on me. Now, Ruby Woo is fairly close to a true red, so it wasn't too bad, but some days (bad skin days, weird weather days, who knows) it would just look meh with my skin tone.

Overall, Ruby Woo is a fine enough lipstick! It just wasn't for me.

on 2/5/2013 7:59:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

absolutely love this color! I was scared to wear red lipstick but this color looks great on me (nw47). It really does work for every skin tone. Its a matte lipstick so dont apply on dry lips. I apply a bit of chapstick before I wear it. I get lots of compliments. Sometimes I line with my chestnut lip liner. The perfect red lip.

on 2/2/2013 6:35:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Love love love this lipstick. It is a great vibrant red with blue/cool undertones. I use a lipgloss on top and it looks fantastic. Sometimes when i need a bit of colour, i just dab it on my lips lightly to give them a little tint. it's perfect.
And not to mention it smells amazing.

on 1/23/2013 2:00:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

The perfect red for fair skin with cool undertones. LOVE IT

Popular Lipsticks