September 18, 2014 | 1881 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear [old formula - REFORMULATED]

REFORUMULATED 2012 Please see http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=159975/Double-Wear-Stay-in-place-Makeup/Estee-Lauder/Liquid for the current formulation of this product

rated 4 of 5 on 9/15/2012 4:59:00 PM More reviews by monicamayuga

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Let me just start off by saying this is my HG foundation!!! I'm so glad that I've finally found it after three years of searching and stressing over the perfect foundation. I tried countless foundations and this is by far the best I've encountered. I've tried Chanel, Armani, Dior, Laura Mercier, MUFE, NARS, MAC, Lancome, you name it, I've tried it. I have really oily, sensitive, and acne proned skin. So it's really hard for me to find the right foundation for my skin type. Also, I work 8 hrs a day and I'm a full time student during the evening so I needed something long wearing and won't budge. I tried Revlon colorstay for this purpose and loved it. But after a couple of days I started to have blackheads all over my cheeks. The nurse I work with suggested that since Colorstay isn't oil free, my pores may have been clogged. Estee Lauder DW did not make me break out at all!! Which is rare for long wearing foundations. Usually my face would be oily after 2-3 hrs of foundation wear. With DW, by the end of the day (my day consists from 7am-10pm) my face is just dewy, not greasy!! and that's without blotting! I wore it yesterday and my friends could not stop complimenting me about my foundation and now they all want to try it out. The only complain I have about this foundation is that the color range is good but not great. I am an NC40-42 in MAC and the lady from Macy's suggested that I'm a 4N1/4W1 Shell Beige. I purchased it and when I went home and tried it on my face it seemed a tad bit too light. So i exchanged it for the darker color which is 5W1 Bronze. I found out the next day that Bronze was too dark for me. So I purchased Shell Beige again, and just decided to mix it to get my perfect color. I don't mind it, but it's just inconvenient. Also this foundation does not come with a pump. So I purchased the MAC pump trimmed it a little, and it works perfectly! The brush I use for this is my MAC 188, and it gives me that airbrush finish I desire. I tried using my Sigma F80 with this foundation but I found that it made me look cakey. I just ordered the famous beauty blender, so I'll let you guys know how that goes! This foundation is highly highly recommended! I'm finally done searching for my HG! Go try it out!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/14/2012 10:09:00 PM More reviews by loverlover1328

New colours - Rattan (called 2W2 but more like 3W2) and Cashew (called 3W2 but more like 4W2). Now only AU$50!

This fdtn actually led me to write my first email to a makeup company. Estee, PLEASE bring this out in more colours!
    EL DW is an incredible foundation. I have referred it to a number of my friends, trying to live vicariously through them. I like my face to look yellow toned, and sadly Estee simply does not cater to that. All fdtns are neutral or pink. I found every single one I tried made my face look like a mask.
    Colour aside this fdtn pretty much covers all bases if you want a full coverage, perfect satin finish, zero pores, zero dry patches, literally 20 hours of wear, the list goes on.
    This fdtn is scary in how good it is. If you get the colour right, it will perfect your face. As you apply, pores, blemishes, imperfections, redness, will disappear!
    Some of us have dryness around the nose, and this made it go away like no other fdtn I have ever tried, it was just gone! No dryness, no flaky skin, no nothing, for hours. Perfect.
    If you don't like full coverage, then EL DWL is for you. Similar to its older sister, but lighter coverage (obviously).
    One gripe is EL DW can dry you out slightly, this is common for a fdtn which lasts so long. It won't moisturise your skin, and my bestie who is a flight attendant, can't wear it.
    Upside to this is it will stay perfect in humidity.
    It can be hard to remove, but not if you invest in an oil cleanser (see my review on FANCL).
    I had no issues at all with clogging or breakouts :) Get a sample of this and check it out!

More about me:
    Asian normal skin - tending towards combination in summer
    Was acne-prone for years
    Foundation preference is to look as yellow as possible, absolutely nil pink
    MAC NC-30, Shiseido O60
    Sunscreen everyday - alternating between Sofina and Invisible Zinc

rated 3 of 5 on 9/14/2012 7:30:00 PM More reviews by HiLaurennn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

When I first applied this foundation I was stunned with just how matte it is. You only need a tiny bit of product for full coverage and I use my fingers to apply. The coverage is brilliant, covering every little patch, evening out my skin tone and making me look all together flawless. I have problem skin so this sold the product straight away. One thing I did notice after a few uses is that this product needs to be blended really well as it is very noticeable if you do a quick application and leaves patches if it isn't blended but of course leaving your skin so flawless the foundation itself would have to be a bit stubborn and chalk like. This for me wasn't a problem as It only takes a second to make sure my foundation is even. The only real downside is the transfer.. the transfer on this product is awful. All I had to do was use my phone and my phone would be covered in foundation (I was only using the tiniest amount aswell) even simply touching my face and my hand would be covered in foundation. I'm unsure whether I would buy this product again for that fact alone, coverage is brilliant but it doesn't last long and I don't have time to keep applying (or scrubbing my belongings every time they go near my face)

rated 3 of 5 on 9/12/2012 8:43:00 PM More reviews by indiahill26

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really felt I had hit home with this product, having searched for a while for a product with good coverage that I would not have to keep reapplying. Regarding this, double wear is a great foundation which gives full coverage pretty much all day. However, I found the foundation a little too heavy for my skin and felt that, especially if I applied it all over my face, it looked very much like a 'mask' of make up. I felt this didn't help the condition of my skin as I suffer from an oily t zone and frequent break outs. I want to have something light on my face that doesn't feel like it's clogging up my pores. I will finish off the bottle I have now but will probably switch to double wear light in the future which has a lighter consistency and seems far more suited to my skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2012 8:37:00 PM More reviews by Eeeeelicia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I held off on trying Double Wear for the longest time, mainly because of what I associated with its name: heavy, thick, cakey, suffocating makeup. So when I finally bought it a couple of months ago, I was extremely surprised when I discovered that it's one of the best foundations I've ever tried. Double Wear doesn't feel heavy at all. In fact, the opposite is true, as it feels very lightweight. If it's too lightweight or sheer for you, it's easily buildable. You do have to work quickly when applying as it dries fast, but the foundation itself isn't hard to work with, so it's really not a big deal to me. It withstands an 8-hour workday where I am on my feet in a physically demanding job, so I can attest to the claim that it's a long wearing, stay-in-place makeup.

Just some extra info/tips: I'm an N/NW10-15, and I wear this in shade 1C1 Shell; it's a perfect match. I find that it applies best when using a stippling brush, or a flat-top brush. I've had good results with the Real Techniques Stippling Brush, as well as with the Sigma F80 Flat Top Kabuki. In my experience, I've found Double Wear to work its best when a primer is worn underneath.

UPDATE: So of course Estée Lauder decided to be a douche and discontinued my shade, 1C1 Shell. The Sales Associate at Nordstrom promised me that its replacement, 1C1 Cool Bone, would be exactly the same (so...why did they have to discontinue Shell in the first place?). She was very convincing, so I placed an order for a bottle to have shipped to me (since the store was out of the shade at that time). The SA gave me a generous sample to take home and use for the meantime, and I have to say that I am very disappointed with this reformulated/repackaged Double Wear. First of all, 1C1 Cool Bone leans a bit more yellow than 1C1 Shell. Shell was neutral, if not leaning a tad pink. I can definitely see a difference. Second, the formula seems somehow different to me and I can't really put my finger on what it is, but it just seems...off. Perhaps a bit runnier and doesn't seem to control my oiliness the way it did with Shell.

As soon as my full bottle of 1C1 Cool Bone arrived in the mail, I took it right back to Nordstrom and returned it. After doing some online research, I ordered two bottles of the old (and fabulous) Double Wear in my normal shade of 1C1 Shell through Estée Lauder Companies' Gone But Not Forgotten program. If your shade was discontinued or you just miss the old formula, I highly recommend doing the same.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2012 4:34:00 PM More reviews by jhoggan

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

So I bought this based off the reviews on MUA. They counter sales person matched me to Fresco and in the daylight it was a perfect match. This is a heavier formula than I normally wear but it did provide that photo finish I had hoped for. I will definitely go to MAC and purchase a pump to make this easier to use. Like other reviewers this did take some effort to remove at the end of the day but I expected that since it's such a full coverage item.

I am a MAC N5...

rated 3 of 5 on 9/7/2012 2:28:00 AM More reviews by may26

This does not look one bit natural. They matched me with quite a few different shades and none of them looked remotly close to my actuall color. they say that they have "neutral undertones" that are supposed to match everyone but I am tan with very yellow undertones and this looked awful on me! :/ truly dissapointed with the color choices

rated 4 of 5 on 9/5/2012 12:24:00 PM More reviews by maserati

Even though I am still and probably forever will be on the hunt for my HG foundation, I must say this is a really well performing foundation. This product is very similar to the MUFE Duo Mat foundation but I think is slightly better. For oily skinned girls, it's pretty difficult to find a foundation that would stay on the face for more than 4 hours. For me, this foundation last around 8 hours with blotting and slight touch ups. If I use a really good primer, I stay oil free for a good 4-6 hours. The consistency is thicker than other foundations I've use. You have to work fast with this product b/c it dries FAST, so I work in sections and apply more product to areas I need more coverage. I do have acne prone skin so I have lots of scars that need covering. I barely need concealer except for the occasionally blemish. The finish is matte and not cakey. I don;t use this for an everyday foundation, only on special occasions or nights out. A must try foundation.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2012 3:32:00 AM More reviews by makeupaddict4ever

Only foundation that will stay on my oily face all day long. Won't rub off on your clothes or your phone. One applied, it immediately dries and makes me feel like my oil is in control. I didn't like the texture at first, because it's not as smooth and silky as I'd like when first applied, but you'll learn to appreciate it later. Basically, it's the perfect foundation for anyone with oily skin and acne they need to cover up. It's also a great value, because it lasts FOREVER.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/3/2012 7:05:00 AM More reviews by JoannaHollyx

Absolutely love this foundation, I've tried so many and so far this has always been my favourite. I like good coverage in a foundation and this has amazing coverage. A lot of people have said its too cakey but if you apply it properly it isn't. Because of the high coverage you don't actually need to use much of it at all therefore it lasts ages and is worth the money too.
    it lasts all day for me, especially with a primer underneath.

I use shell beige and although at first I thought it was a bit too mud like and almost greeny on its own, with powder, highlighter and bronze it looks amazing.

Defs recommended.