Kevyn Aucoin The Sensual Skin Enhancer

4.1

Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Polybutene, Diethylhexyl Succinate, Polyethylene, Quaternium 18 Hectorite, Calcium Carbonate, Dextrin Palmitate, Honey, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Beeswax (Apis Mellifera), Butylene Glycol, Cholesterol, Lecithin, Talc, Triethylhexanoin, Methylparaben, Fragrance (parfum), May Contain ( /-): Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891)

on 4/6/2007 6:13:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I was expecting the best when I purchased the Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer. I had been a big fan of Kevyn Aucoin's makeup artistry for years. The Sensual Skin foundation was my first KA purchase. I bought it by mail order soon after the line first came out. I was excited when I received my order. Then I was dissapointed. It left a cakey mess everywhere I applied it! I have tried the Sensual Skin repeatedly. I tried it was the Sensual Skin Primer. I tried it over heavy moisturizer. I blended, blended, blended. It did look a little better after all the blending. Oh, it was still cakey-looking. The cakeyness was just finer. On those grounds alone, I have to give it a negative reccomendation.

Also, it is heavily scented-- heavily-scented enough that the scent lingers after the foundation is set. I prefer all my makeup with the absolute minimum amount of frangrance.

on 3/11/2007 11:14:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This is a strannnnnnge product. I received a sample from a very generous MUA'er in shade 06 and at first I attempted to use this as a foundation. It was too yellow for my NC30 complexion so I tried it as a undereye concealer and I got the same results - too yellow. But when I mix a tiny bit with my moisturizer, it makes a decent tinted moisturizer. The key to this product is to use a tiny bit and blend, blend, blend! What I noticed is that even with the tiniest bit, you can keep on blending it and it will just expand and seemingly multiply in amount on your skin. So strange! I like that it's very pigmented and a tiny bit goes a LONG way. It does smell a bit like old lady but it dissipates quickly. However, the main reason (and it's a big one) why I would NOT buy this product is because no matter how hard I blend and how perfect it looks in the morning, by mind day it "separates" on my skin and looks clumpy/patchy, making it obvious that I'm wearing makeup.

I have read about this foundation and decided to give it a try since I had a giftcard. I have light beige skin in the Winter, so I purhased SX07 and for the Summer SX08. Both have yellow undertones, which suit my skin. I have combo skin and suffer from mild hormonal breakouts. I put a very tiny bit on my face with my fingers, and it covered quite well. I went back to cover up under my eyes and blended with a sponge. I was surprised at the tiny size you get for such a large price, but when I found out how little I needed, I think its a good deal. So far it looks really natural on my face and does not break me out or make my face oily. I will probably mix this with moisturizer in the Summer months. I do recommend trying color samples first, as it was a bit hard to match. UPDATE: After a few weeks I am still using this foundation. It does not break me out and looks luminous and natural.

on 2/10/2007 12:19:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I am Asian with fair and strong yellow undertone. I am always in the hunt of the perfect foundation. The SSE No 6 is the perfect match.
My "issue" is my neck has A LOT OF yellow but my face is more red/pink that I need to even out. This foundation is a perfect match to the neck and even out the pink on my face where needed.
Applying is easy. I usually mix it with a sunscreen and I love the fact that I control how much coverage I want. Primer also helps too but I apply it without primer all the time too and do not have a problem with it.

on 2/7/2007 2:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This is definitely a professional quality foundation/concealer. The pigmentation is like nothing I've ever seen before. The whole product is like nothing I've ever seen before which is a good thing and a bad thing. The bad part is that anyone just picking this up to try that is used to using non-professional grade product is going to struggle with the application of this. I'm a pro and this one's tricky for even me. The payoff is that this little jar is going to last you FOREVER and give you the most flawless looking skin outside of an airbrush! Honestly!
I do have to caution, if you are acne prone please don't use this as an every day foundation. Even diluted with a primer or moisturizer it contains several acne irritators that over time can aggravate acne-prone skin. That doesn't mean you shouldn't use it if you are headed out for a night on the town and you should definitely use it for pictures or portraits, just steer clear of daily use unless you are using it under the eyes where you lack oil glands. This is also possibly the most amazing tattoo and scar coverup ever. The slightly luminous quality makes it look like real skin rather than flat cover up. If you have body scars or tattoos that need covering....this is your BEST choice, better than dermablend by far plus it's waterproof and holds up to EVERYTHING!
I actually split one pot of this with a friend and we both still have just about full containers despite using it in our kits and on ourselves for over two years. It's just that concentrated. The color selection is phenomenal and the undertones are a god send. None of those orangey or muddy tones lots of lines love to call "skintones". These actually truly match the skin beautifully.
So here's the pro's:
-amazing color payoff, a little goes a LOOOOOONG way
-creates airbrushed looking perfect skin
-waterproof, smudgeproof, sweatproof, hot light proof..this stuff ain't coming off
-outstanding color selection and undertones
-despite the price you are actually getting more bang for your buck because you'd have to buy close to 10 bottles of foundation to last as long as this does
-jar enables you to scrape out what you need without ever touching product
-beautiful packaging that seals airtight to keep your product fresher longer
-lovely KA customer service
-gives skin a luminous look like natural skin rather than matting it out or shining it up.
-is truly professional quality
-covers scars and tattoos the BEST and most naturally out of all foundations I've tried (dermablend, RCMA, covermark, amazing concealer..)

Cons:
-have to play with primers, and application tools to find the finish that's right for you (i recommend a sponge dampened with a moisturizing toner over a face that's been primed with KA Sensual Skin primer or Bodyography Veil Primer )
-can be difficult to remove, you really need to use a makeup remover then a cleanser because this stuff sticks where you put it
-can irritate acne prone skin so it's not an everyday foundation for acne girls
-takes some patience

Overall the Pro's outweight the cons so for me it's a keeper. Truly makes my work look good as a pro. Thank you Kevyn! :)

on 1/27/2007 12:01:00 AM

This was such a challenge for me to figure out. I ordered it online during a sale and guessed at my color from reading reviews here. I was so lucky I nailed it. The color is perfect for me. I am an NW20 on the light end and I have SSE X5. I have found the descriptions in the shade reviews to be extremely helpful. 5 is a light/fair neutral shade. Application of this is what drove me nuts for a few weeks. First,I mixed it with a mosturizer (the teeniest drop of it) and applied like a foundation. Nope. Then I tried spot application with a concealer brush over well moisturized skin covering my red areas and set it with powder. Getting closer. Then I unearthed the perfect way of using this for me personally. I sprayed a makeup sponge lightly with cinema secret moisture spray and applied it stippling and blending with the sponge.I also used my fingers to finish blending at spots that needed a little more pressure and firmness to even out. The heat of your fingers sort of makes this bind to your face and gives it more staying power for me personally. Bingo. That was it for me. This gives a nearly perfect finish. Covering what I need to cover and with a tad of powder to set, it looks just fabulous. There is nothing else out there like this. It is a really peculiar product but it is worth taking to time to play with if you are interested in trying unique products that are worth the payoff. You must find a shade as close to your skin tone as possible or you are not going to like this at all. I got lucky but I would reccomend seeing this instore or contacting the KA website for advice on your shade. They are very nice and helpful and will assist you if you are unsure.

on 1/17/2007 10:54:00 PM

I bought this in #7 and absolutely love this more than any foundation I have ever purchased. I get a nice dewy fresh looking face from this, and the plus is that you don't have to add powder....it has fabulous coverage and looks so natural... some people may have to work it a bit, but I find it fairly easy to use... and I do use a moisturiser or primer under it to help smooth it out with a foundation brush.... I use this a a full face foundation and then add a tad bit more to conceal spots that need it.... I don't think this is heavy at all... I think it's all in the application, but yes a little bit goes a long way and this little jar is going to last me forever.

on 12/30/2006 12:22:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This is a terrific product! It MUST be mixed with a moisturizer or KA's Sensual Skin Enhancer primer to be used as a full-face foundation.

This comes a .63.oz jar. It's got a whipped, creamy consistency, and an astonishing amount of pigment. I can't imagine using it on it's own, as I imagine it would be quite opaque and heavy that way.

My favorite mixer for this is the Sensual Skin Enhancer, but that's so ridiculously expensive that I rarely use it. Instead, I put a large pearl-sized gob of La Roche Posay Toleriane Facial Fluid on my hand, dip an unltra-fine eyeliner brush lightly into the jar of foundation, and paint it into the moisturizer in my palm, and apply it with my fingers. A little truly goes a long way.

This mixture comprises my HG foundation. It's buildable, so you can get as sheer or as full coverage as you like (I prefer sheer, with a tad extra on any red spots). It feels like nothing on, does not look like I'm wearing makeup, yet leaves a flawless finish on my skin.

I wear this in shade SX02 (I'm a cool-toned PPP, MAC NW15), and it's a perfect match for my skin.

Price: .63 oz (18 gms) for $45 USD. Given how little one has to use eash time, this will last forever.

Ingredients:

Mineral Oil, Polybutane, Diethylhexyl Succinate, Polyethelene, Quartenium-18 Hectorite, Calcium Carbonate, Dextrin Palmitate, Honey, Simmondsia Chinensis Seed Oil (Jojoba), Tocopheryl, Beeswax, Butylene Glycol, Cholesterol, Lecithin, Talc, Triethylhexanoin, Methylparaben, Fragrance (parfum), May Contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891)

My skin type: Baumann DSPW (slightly dry, somewhat oily/blackhead prone in T-zone, very sensitive).

on 12/6/2006 5:15:00 PM

I wear SX05, which I'd peg as neutral (neither strongly yellow nor strongly pink). I tried 06, and holy cow is it yellow, it looked like I schmeared egg yolk under my eyes. For reference, I wear Px Traceless #2, Px Flawless in Vellum, Px Virtual Matte in Vellum. I use this strictly as an under-eye concealer, and it does the job quite well. It is creamy and relatively easy to spread, so no pulling/tugging on the eye area. It dries down to a demi-matte finish that doesn't require powdering to lock it in place - a big plus, since powder tends to age my eye area greatly. Creasing is minimal and generally only occurs if I apply layers too thickly. There are two tricks to using this, and if you get them right you will be rewarded, this product delivers. The first is that the shade MUST match the skin tone well. If the shade is off, it is going to look terrible, this product is NOT forgiving. Too light, too dark, wrong undertone - can't get away with any of that with the SSE, it isn't going to blend out to look acceptable like a lot of foundations do. Second, application is key. Simple, but key. It is best applied in very thin layers, building up the coverage gradually. If try to apply to heavily right out of the gate, it doesn't blend as well and balls up a bit, looks heavy, and also has a tendency to crease. I moisturize well first and let that absorb thoroughly, then use a natural bristle brush (I like MAC 224) to dab on very tiny dots and gently blend out. I then tap/blend gently with my ring finger. The heat from my finger helps the foundation mesh with the skin. If I need more coverage (unfortunately, I always do...), I continue to apply thin layers as above. I prefer a natural bristle brush to taklon because I find the taklon applies too much at once whereas the natural bristles allow me to apply a thinner layer. Really, I'm not kidding - thin layers are key here for natural-looking coverage. After about a minute on the skin it sets to a solid finish and looks great, powdering to set isn't needed, is optional. Don't balk at the price - *so little* of this is needed, and I mean *a tiny amount*, that jar will last YEARS, I've been using this over a month now and still am using the small amount of product that was on the inside cap when I first opened it. It is rather strongly scented, and my nose smells rose - a cloying rose scent. I do find it dissipates, and I've actually gotten used to it. Not thrilled about the packaging, but the product itself is thick, and I can't see how it could be dispensed from a tube, way too much - much more than you'd need to do your entire face - would end up coming out at once, so a jar is probably the best packaging for this particular product. This is an excellent product if you learn how to apply it properly, and I do recommend it to those who need the coverage.

on 11/23/2006 11:59:00 AM

On my continual quest for a foundation that doesn't break me out, I decided to try this one. I took a chance and ordered shade 03 which matches my skin perfectly. Another reviewer listed very good shade descriptions and that's how I choose 03. I've been using it for about 2-3 weeks now and I'm impressed. As others have mentioned, there is a learning curve with this product. What works the best for me is taking a little product, warming it in my fingers, and then patting it onto my face - like some moisturizers and skincare regimines tell you to do. Then I take a sponge and very lightly blend. I say very lightly because at that stage it hasn't set and tends to rub off. Of course, if you apply too much, it'll look mask-like. I haven't tried this as a concealer and as shade 03 works well for my whole face, I don't think it would work well as a concealer for myself unless I caked it on or something. I would either need to go with a lighter or darker shade for that. And at the price, it's just too expensive. While the skincare products I use seem to work okay with this, I have a feeling that you do have to be careful about that. It seems to be one of those products where if you use a wrong one with it, it just won't look right. The tiny jar is going to last forever. So far I'm happy with this product. I can't feel it and so far I haven't broken out. If anything changes, I'll update. Oh - I think many people have complained about the price vs. amount of product. Honestly, this stuff will probably last me at least a year. With liquids, I tended to go through them every 3 months or so. I've had this for about 3 weeks and haven't even made a dent in it. So for the price and quantity, this is a good deal if you can find a shade. Hope this helps someone!

Top Rated Kevyn Aucoin Products