Kevyn Aucoin The Sensual Skin Enhancer

Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Polybutene, Diethylhexyl Succinate, Polyethylene, Quaternium 18 Hectorite, Calcium Carbonate, Dextrin Palmitate, Honey, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Beeswax (Apis Mellifera), Butylene Glycol, Cholesterol, Lecithin, Talc, Triethylhexanoin, Methylparaben, Fragrance (parfum), May Contain ( /-): Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891)

on 5/25/2007 3:43:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Takes some getting used to because it is MUCH thicker than my usual foundation/concealer. I use it as both -- you can even mix a bit with moisturizer and create your own TM. Or just use where you need in small amts over freshly moisturized face. I use it as foundation when i have something i really need to cover. I use it as concealer often (especially when I cant fit my realness of cncealness in a tiny evening bag -- i like boiing). I have had it for some time and dont think Ive used 1/2 of it yet . . . a little goes a very long way.

on 5/23/2007 7:48:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This is an incredible product! It covers dark circles easily, doesn't cake on my dry skin, and is effortlessly blendable. It's pricey, but you really only need to use the tiniest amount. I dip a brush into the product then swirl it around on the lid and apply from there. It's amazing!

on 5/22/2007 1:27:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

So I've waited a month before writing this review. At first I hated this product. It accentuated my dry flakes (from topical meds) and pores. It felt like it was just sitting on top of my skin. After some trial and error ... I LOVE THIS STUFF. I realized my skin wasn't the best shape when I first tested it out and I trouble matching which lotion & primer to use with it. Well I've discovered the perfect combo for me:
I first apply Dr. Hauschka's day oil then Sofina UV cut suncreen then finally SSE. I only use the size of a grain of rice (or less) for my whole face. I use a brush (and fingers) to apply. Then I cover any spots w/ a mix of LM secret camo & SSE (I find SSE alone does not cover up marks well). Then I set w/ powder. I have to say this product really does become one with your skin. It looks natural and lasts ALL DAY (even on my super oily face). It's a bit expensive ($60 CAD) but I would buy it again. The results are worth it & the little jar should last a long time. If you're impatient and have poor blending skills this product may not be for you.

My skin type: Asian, medium skin tone, oily/acne prone
I use SSE in SX06

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is the worst makeup product I have ever had the displeasure of using. I followed everyone's advice on how to apply... "tiny amount & blend, blend, blend... "use with a moisturizer", etc. and I was severely disappointed. It's greasy textured, very overpoweringly fragranced, low pigment payoff, and it sinks into fine lines & highlights dry flaky areas. I know this will not be a well-received review, I realize it is a popular product. So I apologize in advance for raining on your parade. FYI I have oily, sensitive, acne prone skin.

on 4/29/2007 10:48:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

As with prior reviewers, I really wanted to love this since I had heard so much about it and have read Kevyn's books and seen his gorgeous make-up photos. I have tried many concealers (that's the purpose I had in mind for this, not foundation) and my biggest problem is always caking. Although this covers well and even seems oily, I am surprised it isn't smoother. It totally caked (and excessively) on my skin...even after trying it with lots of moisturizer, hydrating primer, without any primer, over foundation, under foundation, and without foundation...same problem.... I just couldn't get a flawless, smooth finish (much more important to me than full coverage). I think the prior reviewer is 100% right (wish I'd checked MUA reviews - like I usually do before buying) this is NOT good for really dry skin. Fortunately, I got a refund from NM where I bought it. I have yet to find my HG concealer, but so far I have one each from Dior, Chanel and Armani still in my drawer, and for my mature skin, those work a lot better than this one.... but my search continues!

on 4/15/2007 12:49:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

This is the most I've ever spent on a concealer/foundation product but after a couple of tries I was sold.
It does take a bit of practice to apply the product correctly but the results are worth it. If you have normal to dry skin it's important to moisturize well, especially under the eye area to avoid any cakey or crepey effect. I wouldn't recommend SSE for dry skin types.
I take a synthetic brush and dab a tiny (emphasis on tiny) bit of the SSE where I need it. I do one area at a time as opposed to all over and fingers seem to be the best way to blend.
SSE is very pigmented so a little does go a long way. I find I just need a bit to cover the areas of my face that I'd like and then set with powder.
The staying power is impressive but those with oilier skin types may need to touchen up at mid day.
For the record, I use SX04 and I'm a MAC NC30/C3.
Thank you Kevyn for sharing your creative gifts and God rest your soul!

on 4/14/2007 4:26:00 PM

I will never have to buy this product again because it will never run out.
I think I could have used a darker shade, but nonetheless a very nice
foundation and concealer in one. The absolute key, however is
using a primer underneath
I took a chance and went for a cheaper primer made by DHC
for only $20--- and believe me, this make this foundation my favorite
newest acquisition. The DHC product is called velvet something or other
but it is the primer. DHC has some great affordable products and also
they send samples which is also great. Anita

on 4/13/2007 2:36:00 PM

This is the most amazing product I have ever used!! It looks like it would be a cakey, muddy mess if you just put it right on your face and it probably would but if it is applied correctly it can make your worst day look like your best!!! My secret is to use a little known moisturizer (among many other uses!!) called Egyptian Magic. trust me, you must buy this moisturizer.

on 4/6/2007 6:13:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I was expecting the best when I purchased the Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer. I had been a big fan of Kevyn Aucoin's makeup artistry for years. The Sensual Skin foundation was my first KA purchase. I bought it by mail order soon after the line first came out. I was excited when I received my order. Then I was dissapointed. It left a cakey mess everywhere I applied it! I have tried the Sensual Skin repeatedly. I tried it was the Sensual Skin Primer. I tried it over heavy moisturizer. I blended, blended, blended. It did look a little better after all the blending. Oh, it was still cakey-looking. The cakeyness was just finer. On those grounds alone, I have to give it a negative reccomendation.

Also, it is heavily scented-- heavily-scented enough that the scent lingers after the foundation is set. I prefer all my makeup with the absolute minimum amount of frangrance.

on 3/11/2007 11:14:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This is a strannnnnnge product. I received a sample from a very generous MUA'er in shade 06 and at first I attempted to use this as a foundation. It was too yellow for my NC30 complexion so I tried it as a undereye concealer and I got the same results - too yellow. But when I mix a tiny bit with my moisturizer, it makes a decent tinted moisturizer. The key to this product is to use a tiny bit and blend, blend, blend! What I noticed is that even with the tiniest bit, you can keep on blending it and it will just expand and seemingly multiply in amount on your skin. So strange! I like that it's very pigmented and a tiny bit goes a LONG way. It does smell a bit like old lady but it dissipates quickly. However, the main reason (and it's a big one) why I would NOT buy this product is because no matter how hard I blend and how perfect it looks in the morning, by mind day it "separates" on my skin and looks clumpy/patchy, making it obvious that I'm wearing makeup.

Top Rated Kevyn Aucoin Products