Kevyn Aucoin The Sensual Skin Enhancer

4.1

Mineral oil, polybutene, diethylhexl succinnate, polyethylene, quaternium, dextrin palmitate, honey, simmondsia chinesis (jojoba) seed oil, tocopherol, beeswax, butylene glycol, cholestebedrol, lecithin, talc, triethyhexanoin, methylparaben, fragrance. May contain: iron oxides, mica, titanium dioxide.

on 12/6/2006 5:15:00 PM

I wear SX05, which I'd peg as neutral (neither strongly yellow nor strongly pink). I tried 06, and holy cow is it yellow, it looked like I schmeared egg yolk under my eyes. For reference, I wear Px Traceless #2, Px Flawless in Vellum, Px Virtual Matte in Vellum. I use this strictly as an under-eye concealer, and it does the job quite well. It is creamy and relatively easy to spread, so no pulling/tugging on the eye area. It dries down to a demi-matte finish that doesn't require powdering to lock it in place - a big plus, since powder tends to age my eye area greatly. Creasing is minimal and generally only occurs if I apply layers too thickly. There are two tricks to using this, and if you get them right you will be rewarded, this product delivers. The first is that the shade MUST match the skin tone well. If the shade is off, it is going to look terrible, this product is NOT forgiving. Too light, too dark, wrong undertone - can't get away with any of that with the SSE, it isn't going to blend out to look acceptable like a lot of foundations do. Second, application is key. Simple, but key. It is best applied in very thin layers, building up the coverage gradually. If try to apply to heavily right out of the gate, it doesn't blend as well and balls up a bit, looks heavy, and also has a tendency to crease. I moisturize well first and let that absorb thoroughly, then use a natural bristle brush (I like MAC 224) to dab on very tiny dots and gently blend out. I then tap/blend gently with my ring finger. The heat from my finger helps the foundation mesh with the skin. If I need more coverage (unfortunately, I always do...), I continue to apply thin layers as above. I prefer a natural bristle brush to taklon because I find the taklon applies too much at once whereas the natural bristles allow me to apply a thinner layer. Really, I'm not kidding - thin layers are key here for natural-looking coverage. After about a minute on the skin it sets to a solid finish and looks great, powdering to set isn't needed, is optional. Don't balk at the price - *so little* of this is needed, and I mean *a tiny amount*, that jar will last YEARS, I've been using this over a month now and still am using the small amount of product that was on the inside cap when I first opened it. It is rather strongly scented, and my nose smells rose - a cloying rose scent. I do find it dissipates, and I've actually gotten used to it. Not thrilled about the packaging, but the product itself is thick, and I can't see how it could be dispensed from a tube, way too much - much more than you'd need to do your entire face - would end up coming out at once, so a jar is probably the best packaging for this particular product. This is an excellent product if you learn how to apply it properly, and I do recommend it to those who need the coverage.

on 11/23/2006 11:59:00 AM

On my continual quest for a foundation that doesn't break me out, I decided to try this one. I took a chance and ordered shade 03 which matches my skin perfectly. Another reviewer listed very good shade descriptions and that's how I choose 03. I've been using it for about 2-3 weeks now and I'm impressed. As others have mentioned, there is a learning curve with this product. What works the best for me is taking a little product, warming it in my fingers, and then patting it onto my face - like some moisturizers and skincare regimines tell you to do. Then I take a sponge and very lightly blend. I say very lightly because at that stage it hasn't set and tends to rub off. Of course, if you apply too much, it'll look mask-like. I haven't tried this as a concealer and as shade 03 works well for my whole face, I don't think it would work well as a concealer for myself unless I caked it on or something. I would either need to go with a lighter or darker shade for that. And at the price, it's just too expensive. While the skincare products I use seem to work okay with this, I have a feeling that you do have to be careful about that. It seems to be one of those products where if you use a wrong one with it, it just won't look right. The tiny jar is going to last forever. So far I'm happy with this product. I can't feel it and so far I haven't broken out. If anything changes, I'll update. Oh - I think many people have complained about the price vs. amount of product. Honestly, this stuff will probably last me at least a year. With liquids, I tended to go through them every 3 months or so. I've had this for about 3 weeks and haven't even made a dent in it. So for the price and quantity, this is a good deal if you can find a shade. Hope this helps someone!

on 11/1/2006 4:01:00 PM

This is a medium to heavy coverage makeup IMO. Blends well if you use just the tiniest smidge and I usually blow on it to warm it up some. Actually, I scoop a little onto a makeup spatula, then I blow on it to warm it and then apply with my fingers. Great matte finish, lasts all day. I do use it with a primer. I am Laura Mercier Sunny Beige and I wear #7 in the SSE. I like K.A. Liquid Airbrush a little better but the SSE is very nice. Would repurchase.

on 10/9/2006 10:48:00 AM

Just average. Pros: This product is among the most blendable and it doesn't seem to cause problems for my acne-prone skin. The tiny tub this comes in is not the most sanitary, but there aren't many foundations available in pumps or even tubes. But the tub IS adorable and yet easy to reach into. Cons: Coverage is only medium - I don't get how some users claim this is best used as a concealer. I haven't tried many concealers, but I can say that Lauren Hutton's concealers do a better job of hiding. Also, I tried the lightest shade, SX01, as a highlighter, and though my skin isn't super light, I didn't notice much of a difference. My skin is fairly luminous/translucent anyway, so maybe that's why there wasn't much of a diff.

on 9/25/2006 8:30:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

EDITED: I brought this back to Mecca Cosmetica--I'd been sold the wrong color. SX07 was too obviously yellow for me. The MA agreed and exchanged it for SX05. Wow,what a difference. I've been using this practically every day--sometimes as concealer, and sometimes as foundation. Depending on how I'm feeling, I apply either with my fingers or my Armani blender brush (just coating the very tips of the bristles on one side is enough for the entire face). Sometimes for an extra-velvety polished look, I mix with Clarins Instant Smooth primer in about a 3:1 ratio. Gorgeous! And it lasts. Oily/acne gals, do not be afraid of the heavy-ish texture, it has not given me any breakouts. A staple.

on 9/22/2006 6:59:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

PERFECT for my skin - it is a great foundation that covers very well (I have acne scars) and it works well but looks natural when mixed with the KA primer and blended into the skin. You only need a tiny amount and it lasts for a whole day. My only thing is that after about 8 hours, my skin looks a little oily, but nothing a brush of powder can't fix. It has not made me break out.

on 8/25/2006 11:26:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Thank you Mr. Aucoin for this, it is utterly amazing. I have SX01 (I'm super pale) and this stuff is THE BEST concealer ever. I noticed some of you have had flaking issues, this stuff is not to be used over moisturiser but rather a decent primer. I recommend the KA primer as it's not too heavy on the silicon. I understand the price could put some people off but this stuff lasts forever and the packaging prevents early break down of the product.

Mr Aucoin, I'll bet you're now making the angels look pretty. You are missed Sir.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I've had SX-08 for a year now, and have about half the tiny jar left - and I use it (primarily as a concealer) almost daily. I have medium-tan Asian skin. SSE is reminiscent of Shu Uemura's highly pigmented cream foundation compacts, but in a more elegant container and with a more pliable texture. You only need to apply the tiniest bit - I barely dab the tip of a Prescriptives nylon-bristle flat concealer brush in this for my whole face. I usually apply it as an undereye and blemish concealer.

Kevyn recommended using a lighter shade of SX on places where light naturally hits the face, like the chin, center of forehead, bridge of the nose, etc. I might buy the SX-06 or 07 and try this out. It is surprisingly easy to use, so long as you use it sparingly. Just dab it on and let it sit on your skin a few minutes while you put on eye makeup, then blend it in as needed with your fingertips, brush or sponge. It sets matte, almost skin-like, and gives impressively natural opaque coverage. It lasts all day on my dry skin and is reeeally resistant to moisture; you'll need a cream or soap-based cleanser to wash it off, water alone won't cut it. Oilier complexions might not like the heaviness of this product, but it is a superb concealer and highlighter for normal-dry skin.

on 5/23/2006 10:21:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Recently went back to this after unsuccessful attempts to find something else. Like a good man, a good concealer is difficult to find. I wear shade 03. I love this stuff, but only use it as foundation when I'm looking for SERIOUS coverage. Otherwise, it's concealer, baby. I get great wear out of this, and love the texture. I have very dry skin and wear primer (Silicone-based), if that helps anyone. Price is outrageous, but if I have it forever, it'll be worth it.

on 4/26/2006 8:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I had this in the shade SX07, which was a good match for my light olive skin. However, the real problem was that I had no use for this product. It didn't look natural to use as a spot concealer, and it was too cakey to use as a foundation. It also had a tendency to peel on any dry spots. This is also extremely overpriced... I mean, $45! Come on! I'm glad that I was able to sell it on eBay and get my money back!

Top Rated Kevyn Aucoin Products