Kevyn Aucoin The Sensual Skin Enhancer

4.1

Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Polybutene, Diethylhexyl Succinate, Polyethylene, Quaternium 18 Hectorite, Calcium Carbonate, Dextrin Palmitate, Honey, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Beeswax (Apis Mellifera), Butylene Glycol, Cholesterol, Lecithin, Talc, Triethylhexanoin, Methylparaben, Fragrance (parfum), May Contain ( /-): Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891)

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Perfect for travel. This can be used as a concealer or foundation. I wear SX 08, and for color refence I am NC30.

Update: I'm going to exchange this because the color match isn't as good as with my CdP.

I purchased this from drugstore.com and sent it back about a month later. I only use this as a concealer. At first I really liked the SSE, because a super tiny bit goes such a long way, and it really does conceal! It doesn't sink into fine lines like other concealers, BUT it accenuates my fine lines. My boyfriend commented that I looked really tired because the lines are more obvious when I used this concealer. What bothers me the most is that it looks extremely obvious in different lighting, and the shade below it is too light, and the shade above it is too dark.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

i don't like this as a foundation, but it makes the perfect concealor. it stays all day and provides amazing coverage. definately the best concealor i have used :] i highly recommend it.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I tried this both as a concealer and as a foundation, and I have to say that I prefer it as a concealer.
It's true, you only need a little to cover your entire face. I am going to compare it with its counterpart from Cinema Secrets, both working on the same principle.
The SSE has great coverage as a concealer, but as a foundation all over, I'd say it has medium coverage, as opposed to Cinema Secrets, which provides full coverage with the same quantity of product.
Also, I did a test, with SSE on one side of my face and Cinema Secrets on the other, applied with the same brush, and the SSE was more obvious and a little cakey.
However, I think SSE beats Cinema Secrets where oil control is concerned, I noticed that if I use it as a concealer-primer on my oily spots, then follow with regular foundation, those areas stay more matte for longer.
I won't rebuy, because used as a concealer, the SSE will last for ages, but overall, it is not a bad investment.
EDIT 10/16/2008: It's just...meh for me. Can't wear it as a foundation, and I have other concealers that work much better with less effort.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Wow. Wow. wowowowowowowow.

I have known about this product for at least two years and have read all the reviews and hemmed and hawed but I never got to try it until a few days ago when I bought it from my local Nordstrom Rack (for $17!!!!). Nordys stopped carrying this brand nationally in their stores, so if you noticed KA popping up at your local Rack, that's why. Anyway, reading the reviews for this item, I was hiiiiiighly skeptical about it. I mean, all you need is product the size of a grain of rice to cover your ENTIRE FACE? How is that even possible? Well ladies, it is possible, and it WORKS. All I have to do is take a brush (and for this product, I use a full, soft but stiff eyeshadow brush - the All Over Eyeshadow brush by Tarte, which works like a dream for this because it's a great size and shape), and I dip the verrrrrry tip of the brush into the SSE, stipple it evenly in dots all over one area of my face (which has been moisturized, but no primer), and then start blending with the brush - I don't use my fingers. I do cheeks first, then nose, then chin and forehead, and then finish it off with a very light dusting of powder. I think I MIGHT use a little more than a grain of rice sized amount....maybe a grain and a half ;)

Now onto how it looks. It. Looks. Amazing. This product totally binds to your skin and your skin looks smooth, flawless and perfect, but best of all, it REALLY doesn't look like you are wearing foundation!!! I have tried and rejected MANY full coverage foundations (Laura Mercier, Giorgio Armani, Vincent Longo, and Dior to name a few) because while my skin did look beautiful and perfect and airbrushed when I used them, it also looked totally obvious that I was wearing foundation. The SSE, however, has a gorgeous satin-matte finish that looks exactly like real skin. It feels exactly like real skin too - the other foundations I mentioned always felt heavy on, but you need so little of the SSE to cover your entire face that "heaviness" isn't an issue in the least. I never thought I would ever find a full coverage foundation that looked 100% natural on me, but this is it. This is PERFECT.

Now about my skin type and coloring - I am an NC 35-40, and I bought SX 07 because it looked pretty close to my color. However, it was a tad too light to use as anything except concealer, so I went back to the Rack and the only other color they had left that looked close to my color was SX 11, which looked much too dark in the pot, but actually matched pretty well - when I get my summer tan it will be the perfect color. For now, I think I will be able to mix 07 and 11 together to get a good match for my skin, which actually makes me happy because between the two pots, this will last me for AGES.

Also, I have pretty oily skin and this does not budge at all once it sets. It lasts all day on me no matter what I'm doing. I have a feeling that this isn't a great choice for dry skin though. It is not at all moisturizing, and I have a hunch that it might emphasize flakies if you have them, so be sure to moisturize and exfoliate if you want to use this.
btw, I did try to use this as a tinted moisturizer by mixing it with my regular moisturizer (Dove), and I did NOT like the way it looked AT ALL. So I will stick to the brush-and-blend method, even though it does take kind of a long time. But it's worth it! continued >>

As someone who is on an eternal quest to find the perfect foundation , I think this comes pretty close. As others have described it is very thick and concentrated and you only need to use very little. I have found its very important to be well exfoliated before applying, or you will get a masky look. If your skin is dry or peeling , ditto. I use my Armani blender brush,the HG of foundation brushes. I barely touch it with the product then wipe the brush on the inside cover befroe applying just where i need coverage. It is very easy to get adequate , natural coverage if you just dab and swirl the brush on the areas of skin that need coverage. Sometimes my skin can be quite blotchy and i repeat this process until my skin is perfect. Everyone thinks i have perfect skin! If you mix it with a drop of shimmer ,ie Revlon Skinlights, you get a bronzy glowy look, perfect for summer. An application lasts about 5 or 6 hours. I have normal skin but if your skin is oily you might need primer. There are so many shades to choose from also. And as everyone mentioned, although it is expensive ,the product lasts such as long time.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Takes some getting used to because it is MUCH thicker than my usual foundation/concealer. I use it as both -- you can even mix a bit with moisturizer and create your own TM. Or just use where you need in small amts over freshly moisturized face. I use it as foundation when i have something i really need to cover. I use it as concealer often (especially when I cant fit my realness of cncealness in a tiny evening bag -- i like boiing). I have had it for some time and dont think Ive used 1/2 of it yet . . . a little goes a very long way.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This is an incredible product! It covers dark circles easily, doesn't cake on my dry skin, and is effortlessly blendable. It's pricey, but you really only need to use the tiniest amount. I dip a brush into the product then swirl it around on the lid and apply from there. It's amazing!

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

So I've waited a month before writing this review. At first I hated this product. It accentuated my dry flakes (from topical meds) and pores. It felt like it was just sitting on top of my skin. After some trial and error ... I LOVE THIS STUFF. I realized my skin wasn't the best shape when I first tested it out and I trouble matching which lotion & primer to use with it. Well I've discovered the perfect combo for me:
I first apply Dr. Hauschka's day oil then Sofina UV cut suncreen then finally SSE. I only use the size of a grain of rice (or less) for my whole face. I use a brush (and fingers) to apply. Then I cover any spots w/ a mix of LM secret camo & SSE (I find SSE alone does not cover up marks well). Then I set w/ powder. I have to say this product really does become one with your skin. It looks natural and lasts ALL DAY (even on my super oily face). It's a bit expensive ($60 CAD) but I would buy it again. The results are worth it & the little jar should last a long time. If you're impatient and have poor blending skills this product may not be for you.

My skin type: Asian, medium skin tone, oily/acne prone
I use SSE in SX06

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is the worst makeup product I have ever had the displeasure of using. I followed everyone's advice on how to apply... "tiny amount & blend, blend, blend... "use with a moisturizer", etc. and I was severely disappointed. It's greasy textured, very overpoweringly fragranced, low pigment payoff, and it sinks into fine lines & highlights dry flaky areas. I know this will not be a well-received review, I realize it is a popular product. So I apologize in advance for raining on your parade. FYI I have oily, sensitive, acne prone skin.

Top Rated Kevyn Aucoin Products