April 17, 2014 | 1845 users online

Loose Powders - E.L.F. - Studio High Definition Powder

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 8/3/2012 4:39:00 PM More reviews by ahuang300

I love this powder! It is extremely finely milled and does not settle into any fine lines or pores on my face. I use it to set my undereye concealer because other powders tend to make my undereye area look cakey. It is very affordable ($6 at Target) for the amount of product that you get. However, the packaging is so annoying. Everytime I use it I get white powder everywhere. The box is not the matte black color it once was and it just looks dirty.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2012 2:06:00 PM More reviews by duncan123

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

So I was on vacation and discovered that I'd forgotten the loose powder (Palladio Rice Powder) that I use to set my makeup in the a.m. I went to Target, checked out the MUA app on my phone and saw that this ELF Studio High Definition Powder had like an 82% rating, which is pretty good on here. It was $6.00, which would normally make me toss it aside because of the price, but I took a chance since I knew I was on vacation for a week and wouldn't have to use it that long if I didn't like it. The shade I bought was 'Sheer" and frankly, I think that might be the only shade there is...it was the only one there and after reading some other reviews, I think that's it. The powder is pure white which can be scary, but it all turned out fine. First of all, the bad....this stuff is messy. The powder seems to filter out of the edges of the sifter and if you're not careful, you'll have it everywhere. This is the one and only reason I gave it a 4 rating. I give it a little upward shake when it's closed and then carefully open it and brush a Kabuki brush in the lid to get most of what I need. This powder is extremely fine milled which is fantastic. A little bit goes a long way. I brush it over my whole face, over my foundation and before applying blush. It leaves a very matte, soft look. My face was a little pale afterward, but it soon settles and becomes an invisible block against oil with no pale or white caste. The thing that really sold me on this was that my skin felt like velvet and did not seem oily at all even after 5 hours of wear. I touch up around lunchtime and I was surprised that my skin wasn't more oily like it usually is by that time. I live in Texas and the temp is like 100 in the shade when I'm outside and I'm running around at work inside. Others have mentioned the ingredients and they're not much different than any other loose powder so I'm at a loss as to what is different than others I've tried! If you look at reviews online from other than MUA, you will see that others sing the praises of this stuff, especially makeup artists. I haven't been photographed in it, but rarely am the subject of photo's if I can help it, LOL. So, bottom line is that this was a very nice surprise!...it's inexpensive and it works! What a concept, LOL. If you can get past the mess (practice makes this less of an issue), then you're good. For the price, it's definately worth a try. If you don't like it, it can be returned (CVS, Walgreens and Walmart all take returns of opened cosmetics). :)

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2012 7:15:00 PM More reviews by Donnz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Amazing rating but this powder is not living up to its hype for my skin. I have incredibly dry yet shiny, redness prone, sensitive skin. This powder only had two pros and many cons for me.

Pros: cheap and helps blur fine lines around the eyes temporarily.

Cons: Bulky packaging and yes I did only punch out a few holes with a needle - stuff still goes everywhere. My skin itches with this on it for a good few hours. It doesn't remove shine for me, looks good in daylight but shine city in flash photography. My skin feels tighter but not in a good way. Despite only using a small amount and buffing and blending until the cows came home, I still got a slight ghost look in flash photos.

I will only use this to set my eye concealer so this product should last me til the end of my days and no I will most certainly not be repurchasing.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/24/2012 4:19:00 PM More reviews by MrzVentura

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Just got this today because I felt like I wanted to start just using a tinted moisturizer instead of heavy foundation for my work week ( I work in a small office where I am usually the only one here) I decided to give this a try for a light powder and am I glad I did! Right after applying it my face looked smooth and even. My only regret is that I did not try this sooner. Love it.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/23/2012 11:10:00 AM More reviews by Ztte3699

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

It's summer and its hot. My skin, like a good amount of the ladies here, decides to pump out the oil like there's no tomorrow, leaving me with an oil slick for a face :I
I usually relied on my Maybelline Mineral Power translucent veil to set my foundation or mattify my face but i was running out. So I figured I could try something new and since the reviews for this powder were pretty good, why not?

The packaging is a square, matte plastic box with the elf logo on the lid. Inside, the powder is white and fluffy, and it looks like there's a lot of product. The main ingredient seems to be silica spheres, followed by fillers and what seems to be dimethicone.

OH also, i read that powder seems to get out through the lip between the sifter and the box. I just superglued it to avoid that and it seems to work just fine at keeping the powder in check. :)

Hmmmmm. interesting.

I gave it a test run with fit Me! foundation which is notorious for transferring (at least for me it is hehe) Using the puff in a rolling, rocking motion on my skin to press it into the foundation, I then took a flat top kabuki to wipe off the excess and work it into the skin a bit. The results were pretty great, seeing that my face looked velvety and even-toned. I did notice at first it looked a *bit* ashy and one-dimensional, but a few minutes later, it seemed to absorb some oil and settle into my face a little better, which made it look absolutely beautiful, almost porcelain-esque.

After about 6 hours, my face was starting to get oily which for me is a pretty long time between touch ups, and even then it was only a small amount of grease to blot up. So far so good.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/22/2012 1:26:00 AM More reviews by Holamandy

Pros:
- Cheap
- Hides pores
- 3 ingredients
- Doesn't irritate my sensitive acne prone skin
- Creates a very smooth and flawless application
*one of the best setting powders i've used so far

Cons:
- Can enhance dryness if too much is used
- Not photo friendly (Turns white in flash photography)

Overall i highly recommend this product! Taking away one star because it doesnt work with dry spots very well!!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/19/2012 7:01:00 PM More reviews by maybom

Gives a very matte finish and looks good on just my bare skin. Because of how matte it is, it can make your face look flat and one-dimensional so you have to wear blusher. I use this over MAC Select Cover Up (NC30) on my casual days and I'm good to go with a little blush, mascara and lip gloss. Good also as a touch up powder over foundation.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/11/2012 6:51:00 PM More reviews by HollyG69

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I Really liked this powder it gives my makeup a matte finish and has a smooth touch. Tip in order for the powder not to be messy when you first buy it open the film carefully and use some tape and tape most of the holes but leave like two lines. Clear works better but I only had brown packaging tape.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/11/2012 8:00:00 AM More reviews by deminguyen0211

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

the translucent gave me a ghost cast on flash photography, Absolutely hate it! although i must say, the powder is fairly nice and so FINE. I would LOVE it so much without that white cast

rated 4 of 5 on 7/8/2012 11:37:00 PM More reviews by cinderelka90

I def. think this powder surpasses the MUFE hd powder since I for one actually like the packaging (I know, I"m like the only one!) You really only need the tiniest bit otherwise it will cause a "ghost" face in flash photography (like most hd powders will) but when used correctly it gives a great long lasting finish. Would def repurchase if I ever run out!