Baking Soda

Price: $

Price: $

Sodium bicarbonate

on 2/7/2011 5:48:00 PM

Have been using this as a facial scrub/cleanser every morning for the past week, in conjunction with 50mg Doxycycline antiobiotics for acne, and my acne has markedly improved. My cystic acne has for the most part been reduced, and blackheads and pores are smaller. It is no miracle cure though - some acne still exists on my face, however my complexion is shinier and feels cleaner. I would suggest users to test a little on a patch of skin, with significant dilution to see whether it would have adverse effects. It's important to follow this up with a moisturiser, otherwise your skin will be left too dry. I use Synchro by Gernetic.

on 2/6/2011 12:53:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Nice exfoliator. Helps bring all the gunk in my skin to the surface to heal and clear my skin faster. it can be a little rough sometimes, just make sure to add enough water and rub slowly.
OH, and you can use this as a powder over fnd. too, i find it helps keep makeup on oily skin better. and it gives skin that soft focus look. the feeling of it on is a lil grainy but its not bad. Also great to brush your teeth with too, gets them super clean and helps whiten them.

on 1/22/2011 7:29:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

i love this as a mask. i use 2 tablespoons of baking soda & 2 tablespoons of water. i would add lemon juice too sometimes for a brightening effect & to lighten up my acne scars. it should turn into a paste like consistency. At first i thought it was crazy because honestly, i never knew baking soda could do so much. i always thought it was just something you put in the fridge to keep it from smelling. but i use this as a mask to treat my acne. and i use this on top of my toothpaste 2 to 3 times a week for whitening my teeth :) I tried the mask itself out last night & honestly, it did treat some of my pimples i had that were 3D. it didn't completely diminish all my acne, but it does take time! and its a slow process, like every other skincare product you use. & also it is such a GREAT exfoliant. i notice my skin feels amazingly soft after the usage of this mask.

The only thing i would say is "bad" about this mask is that when you apply it. it does have a tendency to sting a little bit. but i only leave this on for about 10 minutes so it's not too unbaring. overall, this is a great mask for my acne prone skin :)

on 12/6/2010 5:00:00 PM

I love baking soda for household uses (like cleaning stainless appliances & bath/kitchen fixtures) but I tried using it as an exfoliant on my face and had pretty undesirable results. I would hope that someone might learn from my awful experience. The first time I used it, my face immediately felt and looked amazing. The next morning, my face looked and felt even better. I was really sold on this 'baking soda as an all-natural exfoliant' thing. I got excited about my awesome results (and perhaps a wee bit overzealous) and went ahead and did it the following night (skipping that night so as not to do it 2 days in a row). Well, the second time I used it, it kind of wrecked my face. I have good skin, and I take stringent care of it, but the baking soda just wreaked havoc on my poor face! Even though I did the exact same thing I had done before, for whatever reason it did not yield me positive results just the opposite. I was left with a 'burn' on the side of my mouth, which was this sort of red and slightly raised patch of skin that was extremely inflamed (painful and unsightly). That patch took about 4 days to fade to where it wasn't AS visible under concealer, but it remains irritated even still (this whole self-inflicted debacle I should explain occurred just about a week and a half ago to the day). That wasn't even the worst of it. About 3 days after it was healing, the patch 'morphed' into a cold sore. I know it was from the baking soda and the irritation it caused my skin, because I changed not a single other thing about my skin care routine (or my anything-else routine, for that matter; like diet, etc...that was/is all the same). My uncle is a dermatologist, and I called to ask him whether something like this was possible, because it has been a long time since I'd gotten a cold sore on my lip (like 4 or 5 yrs). He said that fatigue, stress, hormonal factors, and abrasion to the area/excessive irritation caused by weather extremities or any similar physical harshness can be causes of cold sores. I know it was the baking soda. The cold sore popped up in the form of 4 tiny blister sacs less than a millimeter away from the aforementioned irritated 'burn' patch from where I must've rubbed just a bit too hard, or for too long. I should also mention that I was VERY gentle when doing this. I barely touched the surface of my skin with my fingertips, in fact! I rubbed gently, in tiny circular movements, for less than 2 minutes. And this happened. I am currently recovering from the cold sore, as I type! Taking Famvir tabs (prescribed by my uncle, the derm I mentioned) and also applying Zovicar cream to my breakout every 3 hrs. Suffice to say that I learned my lesson, and will be sticking to using baking soda exclusively for household purposes from now on (which it is a superior product for; nothing cleans my stainless and sinks/tub like this, hence the stellar rating in case you were confused). But as far as for my face goes, never again.

on 11/15/2010 9:49:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Other

I use baking soda as a no-poo hair recipe. I take about 2 tablespoons, mix it in a cup of warm water, maybe add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, saturate the scalp and massage in for a few minutes. After this process your hair and scalp should be clarified and clean. This is a cheap inexpensive method of 'shampooing', I love the fact that there are basically no unnatural chemicals being used, too.

Baking soda has about a trillion uses in one box. I use it to clean, cook, no-poo, mix with peroxide to brush teeth and mix with detergent for fresher clothing in the laundry. You can find a big box at WalMart for about $2

on 11/13/2010 3:07:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I use this 5/7 days of the week. I find it gentle enough to use alot and i need to exfolate to get rid of gunk on my face. I did clear up my acne, I have been using it for almost 2 months but its starting to get amune to it and not working as well. I'd certanly reccomend people to give this a go! who knows, it might work for you also.

on 11/8/2010 5:37:00 PM

Baking soda is one of the key ingredients in a homemade mask I apply twice a week. Mix in a clean bowl: 1 tsp honey, 1/8 tsp fresh lemon juice, 1/2 tsp baking soda, and 2 tbsp of plain organic yogurt. It noticeably brightens my complexion!

on 11/8/2010 12:14:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Baking Soda is a great facial exfoliator. It has been recommended by many dermatologists. It's very mild and effective at making your skin feel baby smooth afterwards.
For those of you worried about pH balance: most dermatologists would tell you to balanced your pH with something acidic after using baking soda, since it is very alkaline. The very best and natural step after baking soda is Apple cider vinegar. Diluted with water (1/2, 1/4, 1/8), after baking soda exfoliation, you apply the apple cider vinegar diluted in water for 10 minutes or so. This brings up your skin's acidity.
This is how you properly use baking soda on your skin safely

on 11/3/2010 12:00:00 PM

HG! Every few months, I go back to regular shampoo and conditioner (Nexus, Biolage, Paul Mitchel), and after 1-2 weeks, I remember why I love the baking soda routine (the regular shampoos/conditioners make my hair so heavy and greasy). I do my own version of it that works great for me. I first do a diluted rinse of plain white vinegar, then I add about about 1/4 cup of baking soda in the bottom of a large drinking cup, add water to the top, and swish around. I pour this diluted baking soda mixture on over the white vinegar rinse (it bubbles nicely). I rinse it all out, and I then condition with about 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar diluted in the same large cup (sometimes I add some essential oil drops). Then I rinse. This is truly my favorite hair care routine!

on 10/14/2010 9:43:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I discovered baking soda as a facial scrub while reading Woman's World and I must say that I haven't bought a facial scrub since! It's very fine and I just mix it with my regular facial cleanser every other day. My skin has actually improved while using this which is a plus!!! In addition, it's nice to use this as the occasional tooth whitener!

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products