October 22, 2014 | 1417 users online

Other - Baking Soda

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 11/8/2010 5:37:00 PM More reviews by beatthetime

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Baking soda is one of the key ingredients in a homemade mask I apply twice a week. Mix in a clean bowl: 1 tsp honey, 1/8 tsp fresh lemon juice, 1/2 tsp baking soda, and 2 tbsp of plain organic yogurt. It noticeably brightens my complexion!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/8/2010 12:14:00 PM More reviews by jaymovez

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Baking Soda is a great facial exfoliator. It has been recommended by many dermatologists. It's very mild and effective at making your skin feel baby smooth afterwards.
For those of you worried about pH balance: most dermatologists would tell you to balanced your pH with something acidic after using baking soda, since it is very alkaline. The very best and natural step after baking soda is Apple cider vinegar. Diluted with water (1/2, 1/4, 1/8), after baking soda exfoliation, you apply the apple cider vinegar diluted in water for 10 minutes or so. This brings up your skin's acidity.
This is how you properly use baking soda on your skin safely

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2010 12:00:00 PM More reviews by salhon

HG! Every few months, I go back to regular shampoo and conditioner (Nexus, Biolage, Paul Mitchel), and after 1-2 weeks, I remember why I love the baking soda routine (the regular shampoos/conditioners make my hair so heavy and greasy). I do my own version of it that works great for me. I first do a diluted rinse of plain white vinegar, then I add about about 1/4 cup of baking soda in the bottom of a large drinking cup, add water to the top, and swish around. I pour this diluted baking soda mixture on over the white vinegar rinse (it bubbles nicely). I rinse it all out, and I then condition with about 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar diluted in the same large cup (sometimes I add some essential oil drops). Then I rinse. This is truly my favorite hair care routine!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2010 9:43:00 PM More reviews by pisces31919

I discovered baking soda as a facial scrub while reading Woman's World and I must say that I haven't bought a facial scrub since! It's very fine and I just mix it with my regular facial cleanser every other day. My skin has actually improved while using this which is a plus!!! In addition, it's nice to use this as the occasional tooth whitener!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/10/2010 6:25:00 PM More reviews by internetgirl

This product gives my face a gentle exfoliation. I use everyday to scrub my face before sleep and it didn't irritate my skin. I have noticed an improvement in the brightness of my skin. However, it didn't do much to improve my acne-prone skin condition. I have also noticed, it lightened my bangs.

Edit: they change the formula for arms and hammer baking soda and the formula is so finely grind that it is no longer effective for exfoliating.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2010 3:45:00 PM More reviews by sallysellsseashells

No, not for me! I read up to page 5 on the reviews here for this simple & cheap treatment for the face and was very eager to try it. After using some specific cosmetic brand for a week, I developed a nasty breakout that won't seem to go away. I've been using products with salayic acid and benzoyl peroxide. Nothing seems to be clearing this mess up. I made a pancake mix consistency paste of BS and water and let it sit for about 15 minutes total then rinsed. Immediately after application, I felt a horrible burn but insisted that I keep it on. I thought maybe this is normal to feel a burn? Anyway, after rinsing, my skin was the color of a tomato and I looked like a burn victim. It wasn't until 45 minutes after rinsing that I noticed the burning sensation to wear off. After applying lotion to the face, my normally combo/oily skin felt tight and extremely dry. After 9 hours, my skin still was a bit irritated but the redness was minimal. My acne spots didn't approve with this. However, my skin did feel smoother but I wouldn't go through this again just for slightly smoother skin.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/25/2010 12:33:00 PM More reviews by sdr95

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

Clogged pores on your chest and back? Yeah....never again...never again. Not with this stuff. Also fabulous for black heads on the nose when followed up with a bit of lemon juice after washed off.
update: *sigh*.......sort of stopped working...still works on the nose though!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/22/2010 2:27:00 AM More reviews by JenniferPickner

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I LOVE baking soda as shampoo! However, I agree with nakedcube that it takes some trail and error. The first time I used it I was convinced my hair was clean enough (it feels different wet post-wash than having shampoo cleaned hair) and I dried my hair out a bit. I have a very oily scalp and this gets my hair very clean but still leaves it soft w/out having to use conditioner and my hair even has more volume. And since I've been using it my hair stays clean much longer (I can wash every other day or longer instead of every day). I follow up with a water/apple cider vinegar rinse with I like to add honey too. My hair has been so soft and shiny and amazing that not only people I know but strangers have asked me about my hair routine and what products I use. And it so affordable!

As a dry shampoo, however I hate baking soda. While it rinses out easy with water, it can be challenging to get out. It left my hair feeling grainy and gross and looked like dandruff or a lice infestation. Just awful! But, thanks to my hair staying cleaner longer, I don't really feel as though I need a dry shampoo.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2010 11:08:00 PM More reviews by SalenaB

we use this at my spa as a part of our acne care facial. a teaspoon of baking soda to about 4 tablespoons of water. use it at home on your face, then apply warm towels for 6-10 minutes to really let it soak in and do it's work. i use it myself for when my cycle wrecks havoc on my T-zone.

however, as some reviewers have mentioned, it can leave your skin dryer than normal, so it's imperative to follow up with a thick moisturizer. otherwise, your skin will counter-act the dryness by making more bacteria-clinging oil, and negating any progress you may have been doing by using it in the first place.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/15/2010 2:37:00 AM More reviews by blackberrypatch

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was looking into Mario Badescu Silver Powder (it removes blackheads, tightens pores, etc.) when I took a look at the ingredients and saw... calcium carbonate. Hey! Chemistry class flashback! Off I went to get some baking soda. I make a thick paste and put it on my nose. After it dried I washed it off with water and some of my black heads were gone! I had a bunch of clogged pores (so they were huge) and now I have less and they are not huge. I will try it over my entire face next time and see if baking soda works for pimples, but this was a pleasant discovery to end a not-great day. =)

10 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No