April 19, 2014 | 1750 users online

Foundations - Make Up For Ever - HD High Definition Foundation

rated 3.6(2086 reviews)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2013 10:21:00 PM More reviews by sroben

I had been using drugstore powder foundations for years (Neutrogena, CoverGirl, you name it!), and about six months ago I finally decided to change to a higher quality foundation. It took me SO LONG to realize that my skin was breaking out all the time because of the cheap quality of drugstore foundations! My friend recommended me the Makeup For Ever HD, but I was skeptical to use it because I usually don't like liquid foundations.

All I can say is WOW! My skin has never looked better - it doesn't even look like I'm wearing foundation! I use only one or two pumps for my whole face with my MAC 187 brush and it gives AMAZING coverage. I don't break out anymore, it hides my redness, and it blends really well! It also lasts all day without melting - having college classes all day without having to retouch with powder was refreshing!

It is a little pricey at $42, but it lasts a long time and is totally worth it - love the pump on the bottle too! This is my HG!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2013 1:36:00 PM More reviews by Ambercooper

I have been using MAC foundation for about 6 years and recently decided to try a new foundation because i found the MAC ones quite orange and they looked awful in photos.
im not ashamed to admit that i wear foundation everyday but at the same time i dont want it to be obvious from a mile away that i am wearing it.

I LOVE this foundation. i will admit that by the end of the day it is noticeably worse off than it is in the morning but im in college from 8-7 so im not really surprised. The selection of colours was astounding. Since ive started wearing it I have had people ask me if i was wearing makeup and commenting on how natural it looks. It does what it says and looks incredible in photos. It doesnt look shiny or greasy, it looks natural and healthy!

I have been using my old MAC powder over it. The man in the shop recommended the translucent silica HD powder with it as they were designed to go together. I said I would buy it but it was out of stock and won't be in for three weeks!!! This just shows how popular it is. They have trouble keeping it in stock.

I have a feeling that when this does come in and i get it, it will make a huge difference to the length of time that it lasts but i will update when i get it!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2013 7:00:00 AM More reviews by Italiasfinest30

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This foundation was the very first high end one I've ever bought. I fell in love with it immediately because the coverage was perfect for my skin and the color matched my exact skin tone. The formula is nice and I love the fact that it had a pump to give the right amount of product for application. I recently ran out and I would definitely buy this product again, however it is pricey. 42 bucks for a foundation can be a bit obnoxious but I do think it is worth it!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/24/2013 10:08:00 PM More reviews by iEndlessly

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This has been a foundation I have had my eye on for a very long time. I've always held back on this purchase for many reasons, but after realizing that I required a good, full and long lasting foundation I finally made a trip to Sephora to buy this.

From what I understand, this product has medium coverage but is fantastic for acne prone skin. I have been using this product for awhile now and have yet to have any problems. This product has fueled my love for MUF. There are pros and cons obviously, and I can definitely see how this isn't a product for everyone.

PROS: I really like the coverage. I have mostly gotten rid of my acne, the only thing remaining are the scars I have accumulated from my junior and high school days. I love how lightweight this foundation is while offering me a good coverage. The HD foundation line also offers a nice range of colors, so finding the right shade for me was not a problem. The product is very easy to blend and frankly a little goes a long way. This has made it's way on my makeup essentials list for sure; and does last for around 8 hours (minimum). The packaging is plastic, which is nice if you are accident prone like myself.

CONS: I loath the packaging, I really do. The pump is good dispensing the amount for every day use (I use about 1 pump for my face per day), however when it comes to the last bits of foundation it is almost impossible to get it all out. The packaging also makes it difficult to determine when you will run out of foundation because you can only judge the remaining amount by weight (which is a hit or miss when it comes down to it). Because of this packaging issue, I am constantly keeping a new HD foundation on backup at home at all times. The packaging is also in a plastic cylinder shape, which is a bit bulky to carry around in your make up bag, but it is manageable. I recently have been having issue with the black lid, finding that it does break and fall apart when in my makeup bag. I have never had this problem before and I am hoping it was just a one time thing. This foundation is decently pricey, it is around 60.00$ CAN.

In terms of the best application, I like this foundation best applied with my fingers or the Beauty Blender sponge. It really does create a nice HD effect in photos and at special events. Overall, I really liked this product.

Will be rebuying for the next while for sure!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2013 8:55:00 PM More reviews by emcclamroch

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

When this foundation is used as it is intended, it is perfect.

This is not a day time friendly foundation. Nor is it a good "everyday foundation"

This foundation is amazing at evening/night. This is the foundation you wear to special events or if you are being photographed.
It was formaulted for those being filmed or photographed in high defention. Hence the name HD. Wear this for photos, weddings, prom, formal events and what not.
If you wear this foundation for normal day to day activities you probably won't like it.
Don't want to shell out the money if you only plan on using it once? Go to Sephora and get a sample. Be sure to get color matched why you are at it. Just ask super nicely.
Apply a primer before hand and apply preferably with a stippling brush (blenders work nice as well) Set with powder and setting spray. (I don't recommend the hd setting powder as it sometimes leaves a white cast in photos. Try Rimmels Stay Matte Pressed Powder in your color)
When used properly, this foundation is a dream come true.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2013 8:28:00 AM More reviews by Natalie94

I LOVE this foundation, after using MAC and Bobbi Brown, I've found this the best foundation yet, it matches my skin tone perfectly, as well as giving me an airbrushed look which MAC and Bobbi Brown have failed to do. Definitely my Favourite foundation yet and would definitely recommend. It's quiet an expensive foundation, but I'd say it's definitely worth the price!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2013 3:00:00 AM More reviews by xazapa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this product but not as everyday foundation, no way it is suitable for summer months.
However this is a great product for photos (photographs well) and special occasions as well as winter.Perfect coverage, perfect look, it's a heavier foundation though. I haven't experienced any skin problems related to it but it may get shiny/ oily after 3-4 hours, it is easily fixable with power.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2013 10:51:00 PM More reviews by joshquinto

I want to really like this.. I do.. I want it to work for me but it didnt..

Cons:
Cakey
Oily
Pores

rated 4 of 5 on 7/20/2013 10:43:00 AM More reviews by thephoenixqueen

This foundation does what it supposed to, it looks good on camera. The coverage is pretty high in my opinion. I had bought one for my friend and it looked GORGEOUS on her. Very natural and totally evened out her skin (she had a bunch of unevenness/acne). The result on her was what made me but one for myself, but on me it looks a TAD cakey. Not a go-to of mine but I'll use for special occasions.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/19/2013 3:21:00 PM More reviews by efp182

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love this product, but only as a wintertime foundation. In the summer, it's just too heavy for my oily skin. I purchase it in the kit from Sephora which includes the primer (trial-sized, and to be honest, pointless IMO), the setting powder (LOVE, and not only with this foundation—I use it with my Dr. Jart BB Cream as well), and a kabuki brush (surprisingly nice for the price.)
The coverage is excellent. I still have to use concealer for my under-eye circles and occasional pimples, but it makes my exceptionally rosy cheeks unnoticeable.
For me, it lasts a fair amount of time. I usually put it on around 6 am, and when I got home around 4:30 pm it was still on pretty well. Of course, with sweat and such it will wear away as the day goes on, but you get that with every foundation.
I don't need a primer with this product, but if you have exceptionally oily skin, you might.
I would recommend for oily skin only, as it can accentuate dry spots.