Smashbox Photo Finish Light

3.4

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Polysilicone-11, Butylene Glycol, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Carbomer, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Triethanolamine, Decyl Glucoside, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Hexylene Glycol, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Oligopeptide-10

on 8/28/2010 11:24:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

PRODUCT UPDATE: I had to knock this product down a lippie because if I don't use an acne treatment underneath it I start breaking out. Not sure what additive is causing this to happen. I still use it, just not as much.

I cannot believe this product has such a mediocre buy again rating! I have horribly oily skin (which I will be happy to have in about 15-20 years as it helps decrease lines and wrinkles! lol) and I live in the lovely, yet hot and muggy state of Florida. I received a sample of this with a purchase from Sephora.com and waited quite a while to try it. I don't know why I waited so long. If I would've realized how much foundation primer could benefit me, I would've used it sooner. I could not believe how much longer my make up lasted! I have some long days during the week (working 8 hours followed by school some nights for 4 hours). Without this, my makeup would've looked awful by 6 pm. With this I have a little bit of greasiness that needs to be patted, but my make up doesn't budge and doesn't look like it's sliding off my face. No foundation girl should go without a primer and this is definitely a great one. I was worried it would break me out, but it hasn't yet and I've been using it for about 2 weeks. $36 is a bit high (Sephora's price), but for the payoff your makeup will get it is worth it and the decently sized bottle will last a while. The pump gives you just the right amount of product for the face and the packaging is not clunky or oddly shaped. I definitely recommend this as a newbie just starting to use foundation primer :)

on 8/27/2010 12:26:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Kinky, Fine

Maybe this product works for some people. I unfortunately did not have that experience.
Being somewhat new to makeup, I bought this product after not trying it at full price. Not a great idea.
I have very oily skin, and about an hour after applying my makeup over this primer, my skin is slippery and my makeup is sliding around. I use MUFE and other high end products, so I know that this must be the culprit.
To be fair, this is fast absorbing and lightweight and did not make me break out, but I have tried I have used other primers that work better. I won't buy this again.

on 8/26/2010 7:28:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This is the first primer I bought. I like it because my skin doesn't break-out and the make-up lasts longer. It's quite expensive and doesn't last that long if you use it everyday. In the Summer it is useless, as it won't hold with all the heat. Nonetheless, I'm happy with it and would buy it again.

After using up my whole bottle of MAC Prep + Prime primer (the one w/out the SPF), I figure I'd move on to another primer. After hearing so much about Smash Photo Finish, I thought I'd give it a try. I have combination, acne-prone skin, so I caved in & got the light version of that about a week ago. This primer is impressive, I must say, & was put to the test after a couple days ago. We've been having this crazy heat wave in California (reaching up to 110 degress where I live), and used this primer to keep my face makeup on. Lo & behold, my face withstood the heat & sunlight! My face stayed matte a few more hours than if I had used the MAC primer, which I was pleased with. Regardless, I still had to blot, but it was satisfying to know I could go on with my day without having to blot as much. The primer itself is pretty light & glides on to the skin, it sets pretty quickly. And best of all, no breakouts for me :) That is the true test for me, at least. One lippie off for the price.

on 8/25/2010 9:26:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I really like this primer!!!!! I used my MAC Prep+prime Skin Refined Zone Treatment before, to control my oily skin under my foundation, but this works really good too. It does absorbe the oils on my skin, and it leaves ur skin really really soft and smooth after you've applied it. It fills in fine lines, pores etc. very well, but the reason I didn't give it 5 lippies is because I would like it to fill in my pores/fine lines a bit more, eventhough its allready doing a great job with that! So to all you ladies with oily skin, you should try this primer! I know it's expensive, but its worth it if it works for you :-) TRUST ME!! I am really pleased, and im bying it again.

on 8/19/2010 4:46:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm

I have only ever had one problem with my skin: trying to find a way to keep it matte. I bought this product on a whim at Sephora. The idea of a primer always seemed useless to me as I only wear powder foundation.

I was wrong! For the first few days of using this, I didn't notice any change. I skipped it one morning to run errands and had shine appearing only 15 min. after applying makeup. I used the primer again and voila- no shine! I bought the small travel size to try and definitely think I would breeze through a full-size wayyy too fast for the cost but if I have the money, I will repurchase.

I was advised to skip moisturizer when using this primer but my skin felt unpleasant without it. Might be a better step to try for oilier skin.

**EDIT: Forgot my powder one weekend and only had this with me. Kept my face matte through dinner and barhopping in NYC, very impressive but left my pores very clogged**

on 8/19/2010 10:17:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I have changed my mind on this - YOU MUST TRY A SAMPLE OF THIS IF YOU HAVE OILY SKIN. This is a great product. It is the best primer i have come across for oily skin and trust me i've tried a few (MAC, Estee Lauder, Lancome, Boots No7, Mary Kay, AVON, YSL, Clarins, Clinique, Smashbox anti shine and probably a few more that i can't remember!). In my experience, most of the primers targeted for oily skin and to mattify skin are quite drying. Initially they are great when put on as you think 'wow i'm not greasy/shiny anymore' but then applying foundation becomes a nightmare - it either doesn't melt into your skin or ends up caking. I had become resigned to this and thought that this was the only i could control my oily skin!! But no more... I had purhased the photo finish light a couple of years ago, used a few times and then left. However, i came across it the other week when i was having a clear out and voila... i gave it another go. As soon as i put in on over my moisturiser i could feel the difference...it was soft, light and mattifying but not dry or tight. I use liquid foundation over the top and have found it delays the shine coming through on my skin by a couple more hours. Combined with my oil controlling, long wear foundation (Lancome teint idole ultra 24h) this is amazing and really works for me. Please try to get hold of a sample and try this if you have oily skin - it is a miracle for me - HG - simple as!

on 8/18/2010 10:06:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I like this primer.
I have oily skin, but after i put on this primer, my face is not oily for at least 8 hours!that is really amazing to me.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

So many people overlook the importance of a foundation primer but a good primer, like Smashbox's Photo Finish Light, makes all the difference. The silicone ingredient works double-time by filling in fine lines and evening out the skin's surface for smooth foundation application while also blocking out harmful free radicals. You don't have to wear foundation to experience the benefits of this product, however I only use this when I'm wearing foundation. There's such a noticeable difference in how the foundation goes on when I'm wearing this primer. I even have the 1oz travel size that I keep in my makeup travel bag so that it's ready to go when I am.

NOTE: This foundation will not mattify your skin. It is oil-free, so it's good for oilier complexions, like mine, but your skin will still get oily, so I recommend blotting papers like Clean & Clear's Oil Absorbing Sheets. continued >>

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I reall really wanted to like this product, but after about a month of using it I broke out like crazy! It cleared up after I stopped using it so I will not be buying this again.