September 2, 2014 | 1774 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2012 1:17:00 PM More reviews by Tartlette

I wanted to like this foundation..I really did. After reading many positive reviews I finally decided to purchase this. I had high hopes that this would be a high performing foundation for my combination-oily skin.

First of all, the packaging - I do not like it at all. I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but I have issues with the product gushing out - many times I end up with way too much product. You cannot see through this packaging so it is hard to tell how much product you have left. The positive is it feels lightweight and is easy for travel.

I find the colour selection to be not that great with this foundation - I found one that matches my pale skin fairly well, but there was not much to choose from (at least in my Sephora).

The coverage that this foundation is supposed to give is medium to full, and I see a lot of reviewers referring to this as "full coverage". I would personally not classify this as full coverage, but rather medium coverage. In my opinion this foundation is NOT buildable. My face ends up looking far too cakey if I use too much of this. I am looking for decent coverage with my foundations, as I'm looking to cover up redness. This did an "ok" job of that - nothing special. The product just sits in my pores and clings to any dry patches - this is another reason why I say this is NOT a layering foundation. This foundation does not at all give me a natural look and feels thick on my skin. I would suggest to start with a very small amount of product - if you want to add more do it in very small layers.

Application of this foundation is "ok". I have tried applying with fingers, a buffing brush and foundation brush and I prefer a buffing brush. Using a buffing brush gives me the best coverage while blending it into the skin as best that it can. I found using a foundation brush too streaky and fingers didn't provide enough coverage and the product seemed to "wipe away" but without looking like anything was covered.

Lasting power is terrible - I expected so much more from this foundation. My skin becomes very oily by mid-day, and quite honestly my skin usually has some oil peaking through, but even more so when I use this. I have been testing this foundation for quite some time, and in different seasons and I get the result in both winter and summer. Once my skin starts to get a little oily, this foundation seems to just slide off. The same thing goes during hot, humid summers - this just melts away. No matter when I tried using this, my face looked like a greasy mess half way through the day. Just to reference I have tried this foundation with primers and finishing spray and get the same result no matter what.

I would not, and will not purchase this foundation again. I will finish up what I have because I do not like to waste, but never again will I buy this product. VERY disappointed.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/28/2012 3:44:00 PM More reviews by BrigitteBardot

I really like this EXCEPT I look a little pale with the color I have (which is the lightest). I am fair-skinned, but perhaps the color was a little too light? I think I will stick with foundations without any titanium or zinc oxide to be on the safe side for photos. I did like the coverage/finish of this a lot, it's absolutely perfect.

As for causing breakouts, I'm not sure. The clarity of my skin seems to depend more upon the quality of my diet, followed by skin care. I don't think full-coverage foundations are ideal for everyday wear though. Skin needs to breathe!

If only I would consistently photograph perfectly with this! It looks so beautiful on. If I can't find a similar product without sunscreen ingredients, I may just come back to this and go for a darker color.

Update: This looks so bad now that I'm using more acne treatments. It accentuates the slightest dryness.
Update: Mixing the Alabaster and Ivory gives me a good color match. (Still annoying to have to mix! I wish Laura Mercier never changed their formulas, cause I had my perfect color with them.) After reading review after review saying this photographs great and taking into consideration the package says this MAY contain titanium dioxide, my opinion is us fair-skinned gals should opt for a different foundation (at least for flash photos). Even though they do make great products and are known in particular for their foundations, I just can't seem to have the best luck with Make Up For Ever.

Also, with the shade 20, it does seem to oxidize on me.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/28/2012 2:26:00 AM More reviews by boyineedyou

not good for covering pores at all!!!!

rated 2 of 5 on 10/22/2012 2:29:00 AM More reviews by Balihughes

i have oily/acne prone skin. I bought this thinking it would nicely cover blemishes as well as control my oil. . I was WRONG I hated this, it lasted less than half a day and I would need to reapply during lunch break. Not to mention I looked like a cake face for about 2 weeks until i finally had to throw it away because it broke me out so bad. STAY AWAY. Now i am just using Organic Wear Loose powder and my face is almost clear and no more freakin breakouts. Amen.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/20/2012 7:22:00 PM More reviews by JMAEGIRL

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

The color and coverage was perfect but after a week of using this I broke out really bad. I had to return this.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/19/2012 2:25:00 AM More reviews by infinity35

Great color - palest shade in #15 works, dries matte, t-zone oily in 2 hours without powdering, too drying for cheeks (I have combo skin). Texture is a thicker liquid than most liquid foundations. Stilll working with application techniques, with hands do far works alright. Wouldn't repurchase unless I find a way to work around it (suitable primer, application, setting)

rated 2 of 5 on 10/16/2012 7:55:00 PM More reviews by MimiCakes88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

CREASE CENTRAL ON MY FACE!!!.... Oil control? NONE......... Long lasting? if you call 3 hours long...yes.... Extremely oily skin girls beware. I wanted to love it! :(

rated 3 of 5 on 10/14/2012 10:55:00 PM More reviews by fragiles0ng

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm an oily girl, but I do have dry patches on my cheeks, around the sides of my nose, and a bit on my chin. It was definitely mattifying, but if you have combo skin whatsoever, this foundation will highlight the dry parts. I think it would work best for truly oily skin. I'm shade 25, (NW15) and the color match was fine. The coverage was good, too (nice full coverage).

rated 1 of 5 on 10/7/2012 2:49:00 PM More reviews by Krystallulu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I am very disappointed with this foundation. First of all, I used Make Up Forever's HD foundation, and it was pretty good. So I decided to stick with this brand after my HD foundation ran out. I picked the Mat Velvet, and this turned out to be a bad choice. This foundation is super dry when I blend it on my face, it looks cakey and some of the dry spots are peeling even though I put on moisturizer before using the foundation. I don't have oily skin or dry skin. And the package is terrible, there's no pump, the first time I opened it, the liquid just poured out from the bottle totally out of control. I don't know what to do with this foundation, I hate to use it but don't wanna waste it. Def not buying again.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2012 12:03:00 PM More reviews by Chloeclover

Luckily, I went into Sephora to ask for a tester (week supply) of the MUFE HD foundation but the makeup girl insisted that I try the Mat Velvet instead since I told her my face tends to get super oily and that it is acne prone. So I ended up getting this. I have only used it for one day and I really do not like it even though I really want to. When first applied, it can look a little dry.. weird eventhough I moisturize. It didnt bother me too much since the dry areas were my chin and forehead, which get greasy anyways. This foundation did not hold up on my oily face at all.. 2 hours into wearing it, my face is already shiny, not oily but dewey... I had to resist blotting or putting any powder on. Unfortunately, I couldn't stand it any longer.. I blotted with a napkin and powdered myself.. D: I expected a better quality foundation thats suited for my skin...

Pros:
Matte upon application
Good intentions

Cons:
Looks fake/cakey
Only matte for 2 hours
Needs powder and blotting throughout the day
Oxidizes in oily places