November 23, 2014 | 1162 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 2 of 5 on 12/1/2012 11:46:00 PM More reviews by PrisVal03

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought this foundation because it is a matte foundation and I do have oily skin, I went to sephora and they color matched me to the number 30..well I got home and put it on the next day and it looked horrible I have a warm undertone and this foundation looked pink on me, it did not look good at all. It was super heavy on my skin and looked extremely cakey. I've had it in my make up drawer for months and have only used it maybe twice, it was a waste of money and I will definitely not repurchase it.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2012 12:33:00 PM More reviews by ggarcia

I don't know why this product has a 61%, it should be higher!!! i j ust started using this 1 week ago and while it might be too soon for some people to do a review, it's not soon for me, since i have acne prone skin and if my skin does not like something, it doesnt take a week to react to it. it takes one day! I have been a Revlon Colorstay Fan for years! bottle after bottle, and although i really like it, i tried this one because it's supposed to be mattifying and have more of a yellow undertone, i caved in and purchased it. It was $24 for me because I bought it at Nigel's and I get the make up artist discount, YAY!! Anyway on to the review, I LOVE IT! It covers really well. it is mattiying but it still has a subtle glow to the skin and it really gives you a true to skin appearance. it doesnt look like you have a caked on face and i love overall the consistency, color and finish of it. My oil is controlled with this foundation. I also started using the banana poudre by Ben Nye and yes that's another review, but both together=AMAZING! yes yes I WILL re-purchase it!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/29/2012 2:08:00 PM More reviews by JMarie580

I have a love affair with this foundation! I have been using this foundation for 3 years and it is seriously my go-to foundation. I have combo skin that leans on the side of oily and I'm super blemish prone so I have to be careful with what I put on my face. This product has never caused me to breakout, which is major! Also, this foundation keeps the oil at bay although I do have to use a setting powder on top. It provides medium to full coverage that you can definitely build to full coverage if you need to cover blemishes or anything like that. I'm so glad I found this foundation and I can wear it for an 8 hour workday or for a night out and it doesn't budge unlike the MUFE hd foundation. Minus one star though because during the winter months the foundation is a little on the drying side so you have to use a really good moisturizer underneath.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/28/2012 10:58:00 AM More reviews by laawhitegirl

I have pretty oily skin so when I first started using makeup and foundations, I was pretty excited to find this foundation. However this is that foundation that is so easy to look cakey with. I know its matte but I think when you put it on after a while it dries up on you.

I try to mix this foundation with others. For example my revlon color stay is too dark for me in the winter so I mix it with this foundation to lighten it up.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/25/2012 5:41:00 PM More reviews by mmviv

I was excited about this because I was able to find a shade that matched my skin exactly. But after using it a few times I find it cakes up and is difficult to blend. Also, it hasn't done much to control oil, and tends to leave my skin feeling dry after a while. This foundation does provide good coverage though, so it wasn't a total waste of money. I won't by it again.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/24/2012 5:28:00 PM More reviews by dlasky

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I tried this after reading the reviews, and it is not for me. It has full coverage, which is great. It really does not control all the oil on my face. Worst of all, it broke me out. I'm glad I got a sample before buying.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/23/2012 1:00:00 PM More reviews by anne99415

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Even after using up my entire bottle of Mat Velvet, I'm unsure if I would buy again. It has great coverage, and the shade matches my skin perfectly. I can't remember the shade number since I think it i only printed on the box and not the actual product itself, but I believe it is the second lightest shade. I've used this since July and I am just about out now at the end of November. So for the price, I think it does last a reasonable amount of time ($45 CAD for 5 months of product). The bottle is alright, it worked very well until the product got low, now I have to store it upside down or else it is very difficult to get the product to come out.
Application is slightly difficult with this as it dries quite quickly. I've tried different makeup brushes, sponges and my fingers, and personally i think it applies best using a stippling brush and working on only one part of your face at a time. You need to really blend this well and apply only a thin layer on well moisturized skin or else it will look cakey. It also really accentuates dry patches, which i am getting more of as winter is approaching. When I used too much, it would also make my skin get oily faster, which is the opposite reason of why I bought this! I have combination skin that gets very oily in the t-zone and I wanted a foundation that will last as I never have time to touch up my makeup throughout the day, and the makeup on my t-zone always wears off or gets cakey quickly.
The lasting ability of this is good, provided that you only use a small layer and set with a tiny bit of powder. Normally at the end of a day of university I notice some shininess in my t-zone but nothing I can't deal with. Usually when I notice my reflection or go to the bathroom throughout the day I don't see any shininess though, so the oil doesn't show up until like 8 or 9 hours of wear.
So overall this definitely isn't a terrible foundation, but I probably won't repurchase simply because I want to try out some different options and see what I like better.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/15/2012 8:00:00 PM More reviews by deevalenzuela

I was previously using MUFE HD foundation but found that my skin was too oily for that foundation so since I wasn't all that disappointed with the brand I decided to try Mat + Velvet. I initially liked it. I wasn't looking for too much coverage, so it was perfect in that aspect, I just needed a foundation to control oil, which this foundation was able to do also. To be honest the only downfall to this foundation for me was that it BROKE ME OUT insanely. I haven't used it in a week and my face is still in recovery mode. I can't mess with this stuff any longer :( On to the next one ...

rated 3 of 5 on 11/14/2012 3:15:00 AM More reviews by SpiffySarahD

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

My skin is very pale, acne-prone, and oily.
I have this foundation in shade 15 Alabaster. The color is awesome! I've finally found something that matches my extremely pale skin. Of course, it isn't perfect, but it is close enough (nobody other than me would notice the color difference). I haven't experienced any oxidation with this foundation. It does transfer, but not too badly.
This foudation is formulated to "hide imperfections, even out skintone, and mattify with a non-oily, perfectly powdered finish. The result is flawless and lasts for hours." It's also supposed to be a "shine controlling, oil-free, water-resistant, complete coverage liquid foundation." It definitely isn't "complete coverage." It has to be built up a lot to achieve a good amount of coverage, but even then it isn't complete coverage. I feel like I ended up using way too much, which isn't okay, considering how much I paid for it. Even after building it up, it still didn't cover my problem spots very well (acne, redness, uneven skin). Also, it just wouldn't stay put on my nose. It would separate soon after application and look terrible, and be completely gone in like an hour or two. It didn't last very well on the rest of my face either. I noticed it began to fade and slide off my skin after a few hours, making it look splotchy and just generally awful. It still happened even when I used my Smashbox primer and Urban Decay All Nighter setting spray with it! It settled into my pores and accentuated dry spots I didn't even know I had, even after exfoliating and heavily moisturizing my face. No matter how many different application methods I used, and no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't get it to look smooth. It always ended up looking really cakey. When I first applied it, it looked alright, but it didn't take long before it started looking bad. It doesn't seem to control oil very well either. Revlon Colorstay seems to last better than this stuff does!

Pros:
-excellent color selection, especially for very pale skin
-does not irritate skin
-packaging is hygienic and very practical (squeeze bottle with small tip)
-no weird smell
-easy to remove at the end of the day

Cons:
-does not last
-accentuates problems on skin, rather than covering them
-does not control oil
-not full coverage/ tedious to build decent amount of coverage
-cakey-looking
-expensive/ not worth price

I was so excited to find a foundation that matched my pale skin, but was extremely disappointed with its performance. It definitely isn't worth the price, in my opinion. I will be returning it.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2012 3:13:00 PM More reviews by dashcrabtree

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

.I was initially drawn to this foundation simply because it offers one of the palest shades available in non-theatrical makeup lines but I ended up really loving it on its own merits. I have very dry skin, so I wasn't sure I would appreciate the promised 'Mat' effect, but it really respects my poor dehydrated skin and doesn't feel tight or cakey. The rosy undertone of my particular shade is really beautiful and natural (and doesn't oxidize after a time) and the finish itself is like that of healthy and very slightly dewy skin... which I don't usually associate with mattifying foundations. I would recommend this to anyone who wants a very polished look without either drying out their skin or making it feel slick!