Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

on 4/8/2013 2:48:00 PM

Coconut oil is literally my miracle product. :) I use it for so many things. It has helped repair my hair from a horrible over-bleached state. Virgin coconut oil (there is technically no such thing as "extra virgin"- there is virtually no difference between products labeled virgin & extra virgin) has proteins in it, & it helps prevent protein loss in hair. This makes it excellent for chemically damaged hair, & hair that has been heat-styled frequently. When my hair was at it's worst, I used to before every shampoo as a pre-treatment. I leave it on for about 3 hours, then shampoo & condition my hair like usual. If your hair isn't horribly damaged, you can use it anywhere from once a week to once a month. I also have sensitive, acne-prone skin and I use coconut oil as a nightly make-up remover and moisturizer. If you wear contacts, I advise removing your contacts before using coconut oil to remove eye makeup. If you don't, the coconut oil will likely cloud your vision & ruin your contacts. I had to learn this the hard way. *Note- if you try coconut oil as a face moisturizer & it is causing you to break out, try to bear with it for at least a couple months. Coconut oil can cause your skin to purge, which may seem like a bad thing, but it's not. It helps cleanse your skin of years of built up dirt, makeup, & oil. In other words, it may cause things to appear worse before they get better. But it has actually prevented and healed acne for me, & has never irritated my skin. It absorbs nicely & I don't have an oily residue in the morning. Coconut oil also makes an excellent body moisturizer, & it is a great substitute for shaving cream for those with sensitive skin. I especially use it for my bikini line, & I rarely get irritation/razor bumps there anymore. I believe that this is because coconut oil has natural antibiotic properties. I also massage it into my stretch marks twice a day, & it seems like it has helped fade them & prevent new ones. I also cook with it, & put a spoonful in my coffee & hot chocolate. The internal benefits it has are incredible. I use Tropical Traditions Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil. It is organic. :) I imagine that any Virgin Coconut Oil would work well, just look for one that is UNrefined. Sorry this review was so long! I just wanted to share some of the many uses I have found for this oil. :)

on 4/8/2013 10:28:00 AM

This is a review for coconut oil as a topical treatment.

After all the raving reviewers who swear by it, the beauty gurus that use it in their homemade alternative treatments, I figured I just had to try it.

Worst mistake ever.

The flareups and clogged pores I suffered from experimenting with coconut oil are continuing to haunt me weeks after trying it. Even a soap with coconut oil as a secondary ingredient recently caused me to break out. If shea butter and coco butter break you out and irritate your skin, I can almost guarantee coconut oil will be the same. Was it worth the experiment? Absolutely not. I have very deep scarring and pigmentation that reminds me how much of a mistake it was to use this on my skin.

So just to recap, if you've got sensitive skin to shea butter and coco butter, you might want to completely pass on this.

I've been using coconut oil for about 6 weeks now & wanted to add my experience and thoughts to the debate. I started off using it as a makeup remover and facial moisturizer. My skin looked amazing for the first few days-plumper and more even. However, after a few days I broke out really badly. Having heard that this often happens, as its meant to be detoxifying the pores, I persisted. My breakup did clear up & I found that spots in general were healing faster than usual. However, I have had a systemic candida infection in the past & when I get a resurgence of it, my skin breaks out dreadfully-I mean the worst, most severe, swollen for days, horrendous spots ever!!! Based on the idea that coconut oil (due to its antifungal and antibacterial properties) draws toxins out through the skin, I have a theory that people with underlying candida imbalances might suffer continued breakouts with coconut oil (-as the candida is giving off toxins, which are partly expressed through the skin). And if you treat the underlying candida infection, then you can use coconut oil on your skin as you are treating the underlying cause of the breakouts. Anyway, thats just a theory!
So my experience so far (which has been influenced heavily by a resurgence of my candida imbalance) is that:
-when I had really horrendous cysts on my face due to the candida, they healed to a tolerable level within 3-5 days with continued use of coconut oil(and combined internal treatment for candida)-in the past they would stay on my face as a lump for a week+ without coming to a head. Using the coconut oil (and internal anti fungals, probiotics and toxin cleansers) they came to a head in much less time.
-my skin is generally in better condition-plumper, more vibrant & I need to wear less makeup
-I found using it as a cleanser required copious amounts of hot water & repeated cleansings to get my makeup properly off, so now I use mostly as a night time moisturiser. It absorbs well into my skin & smells great.
-Im using organic cold pressed coconut oil.

In case anyones interested, Im taking caprylic acid (a derivative of coconut), probiotics, grapefruit seed extract and cutting out sugar & wine to treat my candida infection. Im taking milk thistle & drinking nettle and rosehip tea to aid in cleansing of toxins from candida/die off.
Hope this helps!

on 4/7/2013 5:38:00 PM

Loads if uses from adding to your smoothie/hot choc, massage oil & hair treatment among others. After researching uses for it, I discovered Miranda Kerr uses it daily taking 2 teaspoons a day. So I'm gonna give that a go. Lol!

on 4/6/2013 10:47:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

I'd seen a lot about the benefits of Coconut Oil on Pinterest recently and, after doing some more research, I decided to give it a go!

Picked up a jar when I was in Holland & Barretts... it cost 15, but I knew I'd be using it for everything from beauty products to cooking, so it was definitely worth it. Make sure you buy the organic stuff!

I swear by this stuff now - it is so versatile and I use it for everything! It's a solid at room temperature and melts with the slightest heat (even putting some in the palm of your hand will melt it).

Uses:

- It is HANDS DOWN the best eye make-up remover I've ever tried!

- I use it in cooking as a substitute for Olive Oil, which is healthier.

- Sometimes, I just eat a tablespoon for extra energy.

- I use it as a PRE-shampoo on occassion (it can get very messy but the results are worth it)... my hair ends up so soft!

- It makes a great moisturiser for dry skin.

- It's great to use with shaving. My razor slides over it effortlessly and gives a closer shave.

- I put it in my green tea.

- My friend uses it as a diaper/nappy rash cream subsitute and swears by it. Also, for cradle cap for baby.

I've heard you can use it for oil pulling, but that's not my cup of tea. Apparently it's also good for yeast infections, skin conditions, it can be used as a sexual lubricant etc etc. I'm sure the uses are endless. It really is a multi-trick pony!

Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I bought a jar of this from Kroger (about the size of one of those big Jiff peanut butter jars) for under $7. I actually don't really like to use this in my hair, unless I use as a deep conditioner, because it leaves the finer and less coarse hair stringy and greasy looking. However, this is the best eye makeup remover and body lotion I've ever used. I use about a tablespoon of oil for each leg--just let it melt in your hands before applying--rub it in and put on a pair of sweats you don't care about. Using what's left on your hands, you can rub your eye makeup right off--it just slides right off. Considering I pay $7/bottle for eye makeup remover and a bottle lasts a few months....this is way more cost efficient, way fewer chemicals on my face, and way gentler. Definitely buy a tub of this because I guarantee you'll find ways to use it.

on 4/5/2013 11:16:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I absolutely LOVE this stuff, Coconut oil is truely a gift from the gods. It saved my hair from being fried during bleaches, it is great to cook with too. Its just a miracle product.

on 4/5/2013 1:13:00 AM

I was so excited to grad some coconut oil after hearing so many great things about it, but it did have a few cons for me. I used as a moisturizer for a few weeks and It broke me out pretty bad on my face and chest. Other than that I loved it for the rest of my body!

on 4/4/2013 10:00:00 PM

So So Soooo many uses for coconut oil!

1. Helps digestion and promotes weight loss. (Also works for baking and cooking, a great alternative to butter and heavy oils).
2. Great for hair treatments
3. Awesome for dry skin or anyone looking for a bit extra moisture.
4. Great for the ends of the hair.

Seriously, use it inside and out. The price is amazing for the product you get. I usually check Marshalls or TJ Maxx first, they carry virgin, unrefined coconut oil for a smaller price.

on 4/4/2013 6:19:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

So many different uses for coconut oil! Not only do I eat it for its benefits, but I warm up a little between my hands and apply it to the ends of my hair. My hair feels softer and more manageable afterwards. Leaves a shine to your hair also. Just don't over apply it, or your hair will look greasy. I use this on my body sometimes and my skin feels smooth and smells good. I would never use this on my face though because I know I would break out from it, but other than that I love it. I buy a huge jar from vitacost they have their own brand of it and its virgin organic coconut oil. LOVE

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products