April 20, 2014 | 1683 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2013 3:54:00 PM More reviews by Kamee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love multi purpose items and this is a great one. On top of it being muli purpose, it's gives off amazing benefits to the body when taken orally too. It moisturizes everything for me from head to toe. Even using this on my face doesn't break me out however I have a different cream for my face so I only use this when there's nothing else. What's even better is that you can eat this too which gives off amazing benefits. I take this by the spoonful and have noticed my skin and energy improving. It's great on toast instead of butter and with stir fried veggies. Only downside to this is that it changes its consistency depending on the temperature. It's sold under 70 degrees so it gets a bit tough to use when it becomes a solid.

Here's what one article said about coconut oil "Studies have shown that intake of coconut oil can help our bodies mount resistance to both viruses and bacteria that can cause illness. Even more, it also can help to fight off yeast, fungus, and candida.

Coconut oil can also positively affect our hormones for thyroid and blood sugar control. People who take coconut oil also tend to have improvements in how they handle blood sugar, for coconut can help improve insulin use within the body. Coconut oil can boost thyroid function helping to increase metabolism, energy and endurance. It increases digestion and helps to absorb fat-soluble vitamins." Meaning it's an antibiotic and antiviral and since it balances blood sugar control, it may help you to lose weight. Miranda Kerr is also known to take this as one of her daily supplements. Google for more info if you're not convinced.

You can get a large tub of this at Costco or smaller versions at Walmart or Target or any health section or health food store.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2013 3:04:00 PM More reviews by ava902

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Coconut oil is one of the best oils to use for your hair and skin. It is super affordable (check your local farmer's market) and it makes my hair soft and my skin glow. It absorbs well and is light enough to use daily. I am currently transitioning to natural hair and I use it as a pre-shampoo treatment and I use it to seal my hair moisturizer. It keeps my new growth and hair super soft and manageable. For my skin, I use it as a night-time treatment after I wash my face with my Clarosonic. This is hands down THE best oil I have in my haircare and skincare regimen. The ONLY pain is that you have to melt it down in the colder months because it hardens at a certain temperature. I just put the jar in a bowl of hot water and after it is melted, I pour it into a squeezeable bottle to make it easier to use.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2013 11:20:00 AM More reviews by joana7

I love love love coconut oil! It's a great:

- Make-up remover (scoop it out, place it on a cotton pab, warm it up with hands so it melts and then apply to face)
- Pre-shampooing treatment (you can even leave it in during the night and shampoo in the morning)
- Scrub (together with sugar)
- Shaving "cream"

Mine is in a glass jar, which is not the most convenient packaging ever, so unfortunately I can't take it to me on my travels, but other than that it's a perfect product. Cheap, natural and effective... can't be beaten!

OBS: A little goes a looong way! Use a clean spoon to scoop it out of the jar to avoid getting bacteria in there.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2013 3:13:00 PM More reviews by Di57

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I can't believe the money I've wasted over the years on make-up removers and moisturisers. From this point forward, all I need is my jar of Extra Virgin Cold Pressed Unrefined Coconut Oil.

Makeup remover: massage over face and eyes, wipe off with a cotton makeup pad. I then run a washcloth under warm water and wipe the excess off my face. No moisturiser required.

Scrub: Add a little caster sugar to a tablespoon of coconut oil and massage in, rinse off. This leaves a divine soft, clear, finish. I often do this at night and find I don't need to apply any night moisturiser - my skin still looks fresh and healthy the following morning. I've also sat on the edge of the bathtub and scrubbed feet with the mixture - unbelievable results!

Anti-inflammatory: I tend to break out in a rash when I wear certain jewellery - red/dry patches on neck. I tried everything to get rid of it and almost resorted to a steroid cream. Then dabbed some coconut oil on it for a few nights - rash totally gone by Day 4.

Body moisturiser: I've got to say I was pleasantly surprised to find how quickly coconut oil absorbs into my skin. I have previously tried olive and jojoba oils, but found they left an oily, greasy layer for a long time after applying. Not so with the CO . . . it just seems to feel like a 'natural fit' with my skin.

Hair: I massage a little through my hair about half an hour before shampooing. Again, great results, with my hair being a lot softer.

Nails: No longer have to spend money on cuticle oils for fingers and toes - the CO does the job far better, and at a fraction of the price.

Oil-pulling: I've only recently read about this, and have just started trying it (swishing a tablespoon around in your mouth for 15-20 minutes). It supposed to alleviate gum problems, whiten teeth and, apparently, act as a body de-tox. I'm not sure about all the claims for oil-pulling, but will reserve judgement until I've tried it for a couple of weeks.

Cooking: Use coconut oil for stir-fry's (especially with peanut butter for a great satay!). I've also started adding a teaspoon to my morning protein shake. There's a lot of opinion out there that eating the oil has many health benefits - treat the body from the inside as well as from without.

The only downside is that it can be a little messy. I've got a large pot of the stuff, and since it is mid-summer and very humid, the usually semi-solid mass remains liquid unless I put it in the fridge. I use a spoon to scoop out the required amount, and anything left on the spoon or my fingers gets rubbed in skin or hair.

Some products break me out, even at my age, but the CO, if anything, calms irritations down. And for about $18 for a large pot, which goes a very long way, its the most economical and useful product I think I've ever stumbled across.

Spread the word, girls! Some skin-care companies out there might very quickly find out their expensive chemical-filled products are now redundant!

18 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2013 11:24:00 PM More reviews by GermanSausagesRtheWurst

This is my favorite oil to use. I use it on my hair, skin, nails, and I have prepared some smoothies using it. It's great after taking a shower, when your skin is still a bit damp. It makes my skin incredibly soft, and I love the scent. I also use it for my nails. I notice that when I apply this everyday to them, my nails grow very quickly. I also use this as a deep conditioner either before or after I wash my hair. It really penetrates the hair follicles and provides a lot of necessary hydration to my curly hair. I've tried a lot of different brands, but I don't have a preference other than it being pure, organic, and unrefined.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2013 4:28:00 PM More reviews by misscynthia06

Have been using this to remove eye makeup for a few months now, I am totally convinced the coconut oil has made my lashes stronger and Fuller and reduced my undereye darkness/bags. holy moly. I was spebding so much on Bi-facial, this works just as well for,me at a fraction of the peice. (I cleanse and dry face aftet use, I dont leave on), also is a great corrector if I get mascara/eye makeup somewhere I didnt want it.

hair: I dont like to use on scalp, but as a masque on tips, amazing! My curls eat this up and look amazing the next day with little to no product needed. I saturate dry hair w it (ponytail only), wait 30 mins then shampoo/condition like normal.

Skin: dermitis on upper arms likes this, other than that no go on body.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/18/2013 11:44:00 AM More reviews by cjxtypes

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I so wanted to jump on the coconut oil bandwagon. As the last reviewer had stated I'm under impressed. My hair, though it didn't dry it out just left it just kind of dull. As a body moisturizer, I see no difference. Odd because my hair and skin is primarily oily to begin with. I do like it so far on my face and have used to remove make up. Someone said it taste great on toast and it actually does. I lob a glob in my green drinks also. Alas, if it doesn't work for me externally maybe it will internally. I will repurchase just because a) its fairly inexpensive and b) its edible. I'll continue to experiment.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2013 1:44:00 AM More reviews by violetnights

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

So I don't use this stuff head to toe, inside and out, like a lot of others do. I have tried as a hair mask and body moisturizer and was underwhelmed. I just use it as eye makeup remover after washing my face, it is my HG product for this purpose. It works perfectly and leaves the area with a softness that I can still feel the next morning.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2013 1:46:00 PM More reviews by Nessa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Works great for skin, and it tastes nice on toast! YAY

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2013 7:54:00 PM More reviews by BriddaBella

What can I say... this is amazing!!!

I have Keratosis Pilaris also known as chicken skin on my legs and my skin is all bumpy and rough. I did some research and read that KP can be partially caused due to dry skin and some articles/videos recommended using extra virgin coconut oil. At first I was a little reluctant because I felt that it would be too greasy and my skin wouldn't absorb it properly especially because I had bad experience with Palmer's Cocoa Butter just sitting on my skin and not doing anything but finally I decided I could give it a try and it's been about 4 days since using it and my skin has never felt so good and my chicken skin has not disappeared but it has gotten a lot better. My skin feels softer and looks healthier. I haven't used it on my face but I have also used it on my hair. I massaged it into my hair and scalp and left it in for 45min before shampooing and conditioning my hair. It left my hair shiny and soft.

Extra Virgin Cononut Oil is a wonderful versatile product and here are other ways of using it

1) as a body moisturiser

2) to soothe dry hands

3) as a shaving cream substitute

4) as a deep hair conditioner

5) to remove eye-make up

6) to clean and hydrate your face

Because coconut oil is naturally antibacterial, anti fungal, moisturizing and, according to research, great for atopic dermatitis, many women swear by its use as a night time moisturizer for their face, too. Try the double-cleansing method: Simply rub the oil in circular motions all over your face and neck, giving yourself a gentle massage as you go. When you’re done, wash off the residue with your favorite cleanser. (If you’re adult-acne prone, avoid this technique unless you know your skin tolerates coconut oil.)

Why use coconut oil? Because it's inexpensive and all natural!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No