October 25, 2014 | 1625 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - No.5

rated 2 of 5 on 6/13/2010 1:35:00 AM More reviews by ChellyTelly

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've really tried to like this, but it makes me sick. I know women rave about it, but it gives me a headache and makes me nauseous. I sold my almost full bottle that I had for over 5 years (a gift from my husband) at a garage sale just to keep myself from retrying it over and over with the same reaction. Must be my chemistry!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2010 6:00:00 PM More reviews by s2casey

Isn't the psychology behind the choice of a fragrance so interesting?

Before I left the corporate world, this was my "power suit" of fragrances! Unmistakable, but a little goes a long was.

As much as I love it, I don't find it works for me as an everyday fragrance. Especially in the summer. The bath products are an exception. The bath oil, soaps etc are amazing anytime you want to feel really special. Sometimes I will even dab on just a bit before bed, for great dreams.

So even though I'm more of a Coco girl, I always have this on hand!

It's kinda cool being old enough to know how to handle a fragrance as iconic as this!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2010 5:05:00 AM More reviews by Hopefulash

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Oh indeed, mushymamma did nail this product on the head.

No. 5 chose me two years ago. I had always lusted after it, and finally saved up my pennies and bought a bottle just after my 25th birthday.

Wearing Chanel No. 5 is like an event. Every time I wear it, someone inevitably comes up to me in the store, or wherever I happen to be, and tells me that I smell just like their mother, or sister, or aunt, and thanks me for wearing the perfume and reminding them of one of their favorite scents.

As for the scent itself, mushymamma's description of roses, jasmine, vanilla and just something... more... is probably the closest I myself could come to describing it. It's a rich, beautiful, classic scent that lingers all day. I simply love smelling it all around me when I'm wearing this perfume. And I love being part of a classic institution of beauty when I have it on.

Chanel No. 5 will be my go-to scent for the rest of my life! Mushymamma was right - when it chooses you, wonderful things are in store for you!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2010 10:38:00 AM More reviews by lauren5millar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i bought this perfume for the first time at 13- i am now 20. i bought it purely because i love marilyn monroe and she used to wear this, i liked it, its not a perfume i would wear everyday but i think its always going to be a timeless perfume, its a really recognisable scent, probaby smells good on everybody, you really only need a little as it goes a long way and well its just my favourite bottle- i would buy it simply for show on my dressing table!!!i honestly dont think there would be a more elegant or classy perfume out there, just perfect for a night out at a fancy hotel or resaurant i think!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/30/2010 7:08:00 AM More reviews by cocorocha

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

o my dear lordy lord!!mushymamma nailed it !!!
what a wonderful review!!!
I second everything she said about No 5.!!
And another thing....if this is the perfume for a lady,why that lady has to be 60?
lady is a lady..it is an attitude,a posture,a subtle ladylike and poetic energy that oozes from a woman...
you really don't have to be an ''old lady'' to be sophisticated,ergo you don't have to be old to wear this wonderful perfume:))

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/24/2010 2:31:00 AM More reviews by iamcasihart

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I was first aware of Chanel #5 in high school, as a good friend wore this. I remember the beautiful, elegant bottle sitting on her armoire in her big bedroom of her mother's Victoria-era home. I have always known that the name Chanel is synonymous with elegance, class and style. Yet, Chanel #5 smelled putrid, pungent, dusty and very chemical-like to my young nose. It did not smell nice on my friend, but I did respect the fragrance. I just assumed that it was better suited for a more mature women or perhaps, even, just did not mix well with my friend's chemistry. I so wish that this was the case. It has been over fifteen years since those first experiences with #5 and nothing has changed. I have smelled this on at least 100 or more women of all different types and this fragrance stays the same. I have tried to wear this many times and now that I am 31, I think that it is safe to say that I have given #5 every opportunity to impress me. No matter who wears this...even if I catch a whiff straight out of the bottle, all that I ever smell is a cold, dusty, sharp, chemical-infused old crypt. I would never be disrepectful or say that I "hate" Chanel #5. Yet, I strongly dislike this and I have yet to enjoy this perfume on anyone...ever.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2010 6:57:00 AM More reviews by zombiestar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I disagree with the statement that Chanel no5 can only be worn by older women. I have been wearing it since I was 17 and I still love it! People always comment on how nice I smell, and this perfume is really MY smell. It is quite expensive, but this exquisite scent is totally worth the price!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/18/2010 2:44:00 PM More reviews by mehndi786

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I too wanted to be classic and elegant wearing this, but I feel a bit sickly instead. It is a pleasant scent once it starts to wear off but despite spraying sparingly it's just too strong and the aldehydes very..chemical.. rather than alluring. Disappointed, hope it'll suit my skin one day!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/17/2010 3:58:00 PM More reviews by mushymamma

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have to laugh as I read all of the negative reviews on this legendary scent. There was a time when I was younger (in my early 20's let's say), and I, too, could not get a handle on it and could not wear it. It was a little too much of everything, and seemed to wear me instead of the other way around. It was strong, it was potent, it screamed from the mountain tops. It was sharp and shrill and sour and suffocatingly powdery all at the same time. Oh, what a difference a couple of decades make, however! I'm chuckling softly to myself, "Ah, yes, dear girls. Wait and see. Wait and see," because, let me tell you body chemistry makes ALL the difference. These days, I'm hard pressed to find a scent that is more beautiful on my skin than the fabulous Mme. No. 5. Believe me when I say that IT. IS. DEVASTATING. ON. MY. SKIN. Truly glorious. Roses and jasmine cream--with a little bit of vanilla or something sweet to beguile you. It's the one scent that literally everyone in my family asks me to wear (both children, husband, even the textbook "blunt" mother-in-law, I kid you not). They all go crazy for it. "You should wear that ALL the time. It's yummy." Which is funny, because it's not even my favorite perfume. I tend to be drawn to more androgynous scents--those with vetiver, citrus, wood, incense--"quirky" things that appeal to me on a more cerebral level, and that are generally not so appealing to the masses. However, I can appreciate the appeal of No. 5--and why it makes people want to hug me. Something in it just "clicks" and it seems to come from my pores--like my heart is reaching through my epidermis and pulling them into a warm embrace. I'm not even sure what possessed me to give it a whirl again other than I believe someone sent me some as an extra in a swap. I cannot walk away from it now, however. To all of you naysayers I urge you to give it time. If it chooses you (believe me, you will know if it does), there are very sweet rewards coming your way. :) ♥

26 out of 27 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/13/2010 4:10:00 PM More reviews by PolkaDotGlam

This product makes me think of my mom as it is her favorite fragrance - elegant and timeless. Perfect cool weather fragrance.