Vaseline Vaseline

Price: $

White Petrolatum

on 9/17/2008 12:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I agree with the majority of reviews here....this is a classic, multipurpose product that can be used essentially anywhere! Especially great for those dry spots and for the lips. Even though it has no real scent or taste to it (it has a slight "balm" smell), it is a great emollient for the lips, esecially at night. I haven't used it yet to remove eye make-up, but I just bought "TheBalm Balm's Away" eye make-up remover for $20, and I could have saved my money by using plain Vaseline since it's pretty much the same thing (one of the main ingredients of Balm's Away is Petrolatum).

on 8/8/2008 2:49:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Thanks to the reviewer right below me, I now have awesome lashes! I'm not actually sure if my lashes have actually lengthened, or just got more "flexible" therefore easier to curl and therefore looking longer. Anyways, I love my lashes now. They look a lot longer and are a lot softer even after putting on mascara. Vaseline + shisiedo eyelash curler + lash blast + lash exact = amazing eyelashes.

on 6/23/2008 11:48:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Ok. I swear by this when I say it...Vaseline works as a WONDERFUL eyelash conditioner/lengthener. I had a, I wouldn't say traumatic, but rather shocking experience when I ripped out half my eyelashes thanks to falsie glue. I was freaking out because it seriously looked bald in that area and horrible, I thought they'd never gorw back. Just after 2 weeks use of vaseline my lashes have already begun to grow back, THICKER and LONGER. Here is what I do: before I go to bed at night I rub a tad bit between my index finger and thumb and coat it over my lashes and wake up to lush long lashes that are SOOOO much more prone to curling. I use it with lash blast mascara in waterproof and my thin, fragile Asian lashes look very gorgeous and thick. At first I thought I was going to be doomed to wearing falsies forever due to my balding lashes, but not so anymore with Vaseline!!! Before my lashes were really brittle and never could keep a curl, but with Vaseline they have gotten so much stronger and softer. I swear, the trick to beautiful lashes is VASELINE. Do NOT put mascara over Vaseline or else it will get clumpy, but do make it part of your nightly ritual and you will not regret it! 5 lippies! This product is a Godsend, I'm going to keep buying it by the tubs!

Oh, and it also works as a great moisturizer for the lips...just coat a little over them when you feel like they're chapping and reapply when necessary. :-) I LOVE VASELINE!!

on 4/27/2008 11:44:00 PM

I use this primarily on my lips and as a makeup remover before I wash my face. I understand peoples hesitancy to use this to remove anything other than eye makeup as its so greasy and thick, but let me tell you as a person with the most easily clogged pores in history it has never caused me a problem. I sometimes use this on my feet and/ or body as well. The secret is to put on your regular body lotion and then apply the Vaseline as it is a barrier cream that doesn't impart moisture but seals it in your skin. This leads to my number one beauty secret. Every night after I apply my eye cream I cover it and with Vaseline. Not only does it guarantee that all the eye cream will be absorbed by my eyes rather than evaporating, it prevents sleep wrinkles from forming (one of the number one causes of wrinkles is sleep lines)because the skin there is slippery and pliant. I have done this for years and at 28, as a long time smoker and unreliable user of sunscreen I am constantly met with patent disbelief that I am not much younger. I have never had an eye infection or milia there either.I almost forgot, this isnt a beauty secret per se but goes to show how multi purpose this stuff is- I feed a small amount to my cats every once in a while (they lick it of my fingers, they love it) to prevent hairball problems. It helps them to pass the hair. I know, weird but it's not toxic to them and I just had to share one more of this products crazy uses.

on 4/1/2008 4:49:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

i have like three different versions of this thing: coco butter, baby, and regular. they are incredible! I put it on my face everyday at night and have clear skin. I never really ever had a pimple. =] Awsome!!

on 2/29/2008 2:24:00 AM

i really liked this. i had a really bad head cold and because of it i was blowing my nose none stop. i started having really bad sores under my nose due to the blowing. it hurt so bad. and it was so chapped an cracked so i put this stuff on it and it took care of it. great stuff!!

on 3/25/2007 5:18:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love this stuff. This is not a moisturizer, rather it's a barrier that locks moisture in.

About 5 years ago I was breaking out horribly and tried a plethora of skin care regimes, oral medication, topical medicated ointments/lotions, etc. While waiting for my dermatologist appointment (had a 3 month wait time) I simplified my routine to cetaphil soap, saline solution as a toner, ombrelle lotion (sunscreen) for daytime w/ makeup on top, and vaseline at night. By the time I got to the dermatologist my skin had cleared by about 75%. I was prescibed accutane to clear up the horrible brown scarring from the acne, I continued the above routine as sunscreen is required while on accutane, and the vaseline prevented any flakiness from the accutane treatment.

I finished my one round of accutane, and have continued using vaseline off and on (d/t my obscene need to expirement with everything). I still find this is one of the best products I have in my arsenal.

Note to those who are worried about contaminating the huge tubs of vaseline. I just purchase the tubes of vaseline that are available in the baby section. I just squeeze out the amount needed & don't have to worry about grubby fingers contaminating the product! love this stuff!

Edit to add: in the hosp we use miniscule tubes of pure vaseline to help patients who have extremely dry eyes for overnight, the only ingredient is "petroleum jelly." It does make vision blurry at first as it creates a film over the eye, but that's why we put it in for the patients once they're in bed for the night. This is not used for eye infections (that would have antibiotics) we use polysporin eye ointment for those patients & the base ingredient for their overnight treatments is still petroleum jelly.

Vaseline is great on lips. It really moisturizes them well. This is the only thing that actually works for my lips. I also use it on my hands, elbows and on the heels of my feet. I do not use it anywhere near my eyes though or anywhere else on my face because its very greasy and thick which can clog pores. This is an excellent moisturizer if you use it in the correct places!

on 12/10/2006 7:42:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Vaseline is a great eyelash conditioner! I use it at night, melting a bit between my fingers before stroking it on like it was mascara. Really keeps lashes flexible and not brittle. The next morning, my mascara goes on great and my lashes look full and long. Give it a try ladies!

on 10/10/2006 4:21:00 AM

Love this stuff. I'm allergic to all other lip balms I've tried (and I've tried many), this is the only one that doesn't make my lips swell and go all red. I've recently learned to use it my cuticles, and it seems to work well. And I also put it on my lashes before I go to sleep, and they look much healthier, and slightly longer too.

To those people who are concerned about the fact it's a petroleum-extracted product, a lot of the cosmetic products on the market right now have petroleum-extracted ingridents in them. Such as mosituriers (face and body), shampoos, conditioner etc. (I learned that in high school science class) Since people perceive these products to be safe, then what's the problem with Vaseline?

Popular Treatments (Face)