Clinique Acne Solutions Line (all products)

3.0

on 10/21/2008 1:00:00 PM

I have combination skin, but I get frequent breakouts and have consistently since high school. My skin also tends to be dry, especially in the winter - even in the T-zone.
I have used just about every drug store product, and nothing has given me good, consistent results. Many products have been too drying.
I tried the Clinique Acne Solutions line after using the Vichy Normaderm system for about a year. I found that, while the Vichy line did work for a while, it caused small white bumps around my chin and jaw line, and I started to break out in places that I never had before.
After reading reviews that the Clinique system is very drying, I tried the line, but modified it's use. I used the cleanser both morning and night, used the toner and BP cream only at night and only in the areas I needed it.
In the first few days, the system seemed to bring everything to the surface of my skin, causing more breakouts. However, after that, my skin began to heal reasonably quickly, and after a month of use, I have only had one tiny breakout that cleared up very quickly.
Using a good, oil-free moisturizer, I did not find the line to be overly drying. However, I also increased my water consumption.
I also noticed that my skin is more even, and much smoother that it had been.
As for price, this line is slightly cheaper than the Vichy line, so I would try it again.
FYI - i find that applying a small amount Vitamin E ointment to acne scars at night speeds up healing and fading.

I've had acne for a while now. Nothing works for me! So i tried the clinique acne solutions because i thought that it would work well on me. It didn't work at all. It didn't make my acne worse but didn't make anything better either. I like the foam but the clarifying lotion is just awful. It stinks and stings. For $50, this is a rip-off. You should go buy AcneFree for like $18

on 9/1/2008 1:32:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Worst acne product ever, made my skin much worse. I only used it for one week but I had to stop bc my skin was unbearable. I wish I could get my money back.

on 8/26/2008 10:20:00 PM

Ive used the toner and lotion on occasions individually; never as a 3 piece. I stayed away from this set thinking it would be too harsh. Proactiv was way too drying.. other stuff just didnt work and going back to Mary Kay friggin killed my face. so I decided to give this a go. im so glad I did. only been using it for little over a week and my skin is looking clearer. i noticed breakouts on my forehead have cleared. my chin is getting there. the starter system is not bad at all , 3 generous sizes for $32. you have to use all 3 as a system to get results. i only use the BP all over at night, and just in spots that i need it and use DDMG instead. its working, and not over drying me out
i will most definitely repurchase this!

on 7/11/2008 2:27:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Things I liked: -Prevented a lot of break-outs
-The Post-Blemish Formula helped lessen scars
-With the toner and moisturizer, I got my money's worth because they did last quite a long time for me.

Things I didn't like: -Dried out my skin, so I would need to use the Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion for days where I wear make-up to prevent flakey/cakey looks.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

wow. just wow. Im a huge fan of proactiv, but this has impressed me more. when it first came out last year as one kit, I shrugged it off as being just a harsh BHA/BP OTC acne product. I had been using the 3-step for oily skin (oily liquid soap, 3 toner, DDMG) and it didnt cause new acne but didnt get rid of what I was dealing with... so I saw the little kit of their acne solutions kit in sephora and I thought, what the hell. It works so much faster than proactiv. its gentler too. and theres no dumb club, obviously. the cleansing foam doesnt seem to do much, but my face was left clean and soft, not tight. the toner I was expecting to be harsh but it wasnt. it has a little alcohol, but not as much as the #3 toner, and no menthol like the #2 toner (at least I didnt feel or smell any). the "moisturizer" was ok, but my least favorite part. its basically an all-over acne cream that doesnt dry your skin out, but I wouldnt call it moisturizing. I have an oily t-zone, and normal skin elsewhere, somewhat sensitive skin, but nothing too bad, and this was very gentle and did not dry my skin out at all. And the pimples I had were reduced overnight, though they were still there. And this didnt make my face red like a lot of other acne products. So Im gonna finish the little kit and plan on buying the full size ones!
********UPDATE: one week later****** so far this has done a very good job to clear up my acne, and I also dont have any new pimples. The downside, my skin is so dry! and my skin was pretty oily before, with it being summer and all. I dont have any flaking, but my skin just feels tight, especially near my eyes. Im hoping my skin will just get used to it after a while. right now Im using city block sheer spf 25 after it in the morning, and at night I use take the day off cleansing balm before it. I dont want to use much more than that because I want my skin to clear up as fast as possible. but it IS working. My skin is definitely clearer than it was a week ago. Oily skinned folks with acne, definitely give this a try. *********update******* sadly I have decided to quit using this - its just too drying! and I have oily skin in the summer. maybe for people with VERY oily skin with acne, this would be a good system. It did dry up acne pimples though. I think the problem for me was the toner because it has oil-absorbing powder in it. but I do think the products are of good quality, although the "moisturizer" was the slightest bit grainy (some lotions with benzoyl peroxide can be this way if the BP is not milled finely enough).

on 7/7/2008 10:29:00 PM

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine

Acne: mild and also hormonal acne

:D Worked for a while and cleared up my skin marvelously
:D The bar soap lasts a long time and could be used for entire body
:D Foam soap cleans away leftover makeup

:( Doesn't work for me anymore
:( Made my skin flakey and (sometimes) not necessarily dry (odd eh?....flaky and oily?)

on 7/5/2008 3:09:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

I first received the Acne Solutions Clear Skin System through some kind of skin bootcamp website, where Clinique was actually giving the travel size kits away. All I can say is wow! I don't have major acne, but I tend to breakout from time to time. This system is amazing and very effective. My skin was clear within a week's time of using the products. I've used Proactiv, which takes a very long time for me to see results, after three weeks I was through with that! The only thing about the Clinique Acne system is it's very drying, which I don't mind in this humid weather, and the moisturizer doesn't have spf. So I don't really use the products unless I'm having breakout (like now) and my skin's already clearing up.

on 7/3/2008 7:24:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have been using this product off and on for about 4 years. I always end up going back to it. My most recent purchase was last month. I have very oily skin (especially in the summer) and I also have alot of redness. This stuff helps me so much! After a week or two of using it, my face clears up almost completely! It doesn't dry my skin out b/c I use all three steps sparingly....a little goes a long way.

I take my makeup off w/ the Clinique Take The Day Off Balm then I use the acne solutions three-step. About once a week, in the morning time, I ill use the Clinique clay-based Emergency mask before the three-step and that also helps a ton with the oiliness. I am a true-blue Clinique fan and this product just reaffirms my faith in the Clinique product line!!

on 6/19/2008 8:04:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I bought the trial kit of the acne 3 step system and used it for about a month. At first it cleared up my acne and I was pleased. However, it began to give me flaky, dry patches around my eyebrows and above my lips (before this, I had oily skin). I asked a Clinique rep for help and she said that the toner and moisturizer were very drying. The toner has powder in it along with salicylic acid (which is why you have to shake it), and the moisturizer has benzoyl peroxide. All this combined can fix your acne fast but really dry your skin out! However the soap is basically the same as the 3 step systems' soaps. As such, she gave me samples of the oily skin 3 step toner (#3) and lotion (oil free gel) and I used it with the acne solutions cleanser. After a few days it fixed all the dry skin problems I was having. Once I ran out, I switched to the Oily Skin 3 Step System and have been using it since. The only time I get pimples now is if I do something bad to my skin or have some serious stress going on. When this happens, I break out the acne solutions toner/moisturizer for a night and it helps. So my suggestion is- start with this, then switch to the normal versions, and only break this out when needed. Although I will say that with all the other acne lines out there, I don't think this is the best one around. It is very harsh, but not as expensive as some other stuff. If you want to try it, definitely get the trial kit instead of the full size versions- and remember that when you have acne and start an acne treatment your skin will get worse before it gets better.

Popular Face Skincare Products