October 25, 2014 | 1667 users online

Loose Powders - Ben Nye - Bella Luxury Powder in Banana

(formerly known as Visage Poudre Luxury Powder)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2008 4:37:00 PM More reviews by jiney17

I was trying to satisfy a lemming for T. LeClerc's Banane powder and managed to swap for this Ben Nye stuff. As others have noted, this powder comes packaged in a plastic shaker jar. It's not the most convenient thing, but since Ben Nye is a line marketed towards professional makeup artists, I can't really complain.

The powder itself is not nearly as fine and silky as Laura Mercier's or even as fine as Bobbi Brown's. It has a sort of starchy, grainy texture, which is probably attributable to the cornstarch in it. Banana is indeed very yellow, but it's not as insane as some have made it out to be. It's just as yellow as Bobbi Brown's yellow powder, but may look more intense since the texture is not as fine.

I personally do not like this powder as much as my LM loose powder, which does not change the color of my foundation (LM's Tinted Moisturizer in Nude). I found that while the Ben Nye powder did look rather yellow when I first brushed it on (using Prescriptive's bronzer brush--an oversized skunk brush), but after about twenty or so minutes, it mixed with my skin's natural oils and contrived to make me look vaguely peach. I don't like even the slightest hint of orange on my skin, since I am somewhat light with yellow undertones and any orange will contrast too much with my neck. Maybe this would work better if I wore it alone, but my skin is too crappy-looking right now to do without some sort of base. I'll hang onto my jar for that sweet, far-off day when my complexion is good enough to free me from the tyranny of foundation, though, and update this review.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2008 1:58:00 PM More reviews by heyannette

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

DESCRIPTION OF ME ~ Very warm, yellowy complexion with a tendency to get redness on my cheeks and around my nose, mid 30s. MAC C2/NC20 Large clog prone pores, oily skin which is also sensitive, blackhead prone with occasional simple acne.

GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF PRODUCT ~ Setting powder 3 oz for under $10.

PACKAGING ~ Bottle with a shaker on top, I sprinkle some on my palm. A little fussy but I find all powder applicators fussy.

CONSISTENCY/TEXTURE ~ Fine, light powder.

APPLICATION ~ I use a powder brush, Jane Iredale or Quo or a Jane Iredale flocked sponge.

FINISH ~ Matte and texture free because the powder is so finely milled.

SHADE ~ The Banana Visage shade and it's absolutely perfect for me. My complexion is really yellow to start with and this powder matches perfectly, I love it. It makes me look so fresh and over top of my Vichy Corrective Liquid or Cover FX creme founations, my skin looks almost flawless.

COVERAGE ~ Light coverage as you would expect with a setting powder but not translucent. Perfect, imo.

STAYING POWER ~ Very mattifying, lasts all day.

SCENT ~ Unscented, yay!

OVERALL ~ Fabulous product, the price is amazing, I bought mine from theatricalmakeupsupplies.com for $9.50 for 3 ounces, can't go wrong with that price. I can use a lot of this, I need it, layers and layers and it will not ever feel heavy. It's truly a revolutionary product (I know, a little over the top?) because it does not cake and feels nice on my skin. Nothing is worse than a cakey, heavy feeling face. It really is more like a high end $60 an ounce type product for a much more reasonable price. I heart Ben Nye.

Thank you Seclusae2 giving me permission to use your great reviewing format.

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/3/2007 8:39:00 PM More reviews by Kianaa

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I have been using this product almost forever...wonderful coverage and staying power over foundations. The best way to use it(with any loose powder)is sparingly in layers until desired coverage. I love this because of the yellow which compliments my skintone(Hawaiian mixed race)..as you may know makeup for yellow undertones can be very tricky, but this is wonderful. Does not have that powdered mask feel or look. Packaging is awkward at times, but workable. Overall..Wonderfullll!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/2/2007 11:22:00 PM More reviews by pordanil

While the shaker bottle is irritating, this is a FANTASTIC product. You get a ton of product for what you pay, and the powder is hands down the finest powder I've ever come across... the color does wonders to light up my Asian complexion. (yes, I know it's yellow)

My only issue? I've encountered a few small pimples since I've started using it, so I think I might just use it exclusively to set the under eye area.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/30/2007 10:42:00 AM More reviews by rydellpink

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I like Banana Visage. I think the little shaker is cute. I typically layer a little of this over my regular face powder. I haven't found it to be "big bird" yellow. I think it works well at softening my complexion. I will be buying again!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2006 9:30:00 PM More reviews by blueaygi

this loose powder along with the neutral set powder are awesome! i mix the two and it gives me awesome results. I used to become oily within 2-3 hours of applying my foundation but now i can go almost the entire day without using my oil blotting papers! i can also use GA LSF foundation again! i absolutely love the coverage that LSF gives me but ever since my skin has gotten oily i haven't been able to use GA LSF because i was oily in a matter of minutes. i just make sure to apply the mix of loose powders to the places i applied LSF and my skin is oil free for hours! my only gripe is that the containers are hard to work with.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2006 7:37:00 PM More reviews by Chena

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I LOVE this stuff. I use it everyday. Amazing on my oily yellow toned asian skin. Very finely milled. Wish it came in a pressed form as well, but it works so well I rarely have to touch up.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2006 6:23:00 AM More reviews by cosmetiholic

I had read several times about how wonderful this product was. Well I searched and searched and finally tracked it down at a costuming supply shop. Not only did it smell bad, it was very, very dry and unbelievably YELLOW. I don't mean "take away redness and neutralize yellow" either. I mean straight-up ugly Big Bird freakin' yellow. This stuff was awful. I'd rather do completely without powder forever than have to use this stuff.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2006 7:43:00 PM More reviews by jzang

Really great stuff. It's finely milled and looks natural on my Asian skin. I actually don't think it's that matt. I have combination skin, and by the afternoon, my forehead is oily. The only thing I don't like is that it's a shaker bottle. I can't seem to get the stuff out without spilling it all over the place.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2005 12:52:00 PM More reviews by JeenatheeRawks

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this powder and use it every day. It doesn't change the color of my skin or foundation, and it makes my skin satiny, not dry and matte. I prefer it to the Sonia Kashuk I used to use. Love the price, too. Though I like the packaging, I can see how it can be inconvenient. I just transferred some powder into a small Sephora sifter. Problem solved. :) I'd recommend this powder to anybody.