November 29, 2014 | 1200 users online

Eyeliner - Essence - Gel Eyeliner [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/22/2012 11:13:00 AM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Essence's Gel Eyeliners are probably one of the most affordable on the market. These liners are said to be an "ultra smooth gel formula that allows for precise application." Essence recommends applying their gel liner with their gel liner brush, which I only just purchased today, I've been applying it with Gloss' Professional Eyeliner Brush before hand. Essence promises that this gel liner is "quick drying, long lasting, smudge and waterproof." This gel liner is available in 3 shades, I have London, Baby; a dark charcoal grey with purple micro shimmer. Each pot of eyeliner contains .1fl oz (3ml) and costs $3.49, which is pretty dang affordable. This eyeliner was made in Italy. Essence is a cruelty free brand. Essence is available in most European drugstores, Ulta in the USA, Shoppers Drug Mart in Canada, and Target in Australia. I purchased mine at Ulta.
Essence's Gel Eyeliners come in a cute, round, little glass pot with a black twist on cap. The cap seems pretty airtight, so I'm not too worried about the product drying out. The lid has a small label affixed to it with the name of the product and a geometric square print. The back label has the shade name and number, a brief product description written in a couple languages. There is no indication that the packaging is recyclable, but it seems like it would be. The ingredient list isn't included on the packaging, nor is it on the Essence website. I had to scrounge around the internet to find it. Personally I think it should be mandatory for every beauty product to have the ingredient list on it, or to come with a small leaflet with the ingredients. Anyways, I like this eyeliner's packaging. It's cute, compact, and functional, like just about all of Essence's packaging.
Before I go on about Essence's Gel Eyeliner, let me tell you a story. I've only ever used one gel eyeliner before this one, Ulta's Extreme Wear Gel Eyeliner, to be exact, in the shade Prime Time. From the day I got it, it was very hard and difficult to work with and had minimal color payoff. I would have to wipe off the top layer of product before each use and even then it was still a pain to use. I didn't realise that gel liners weren't meant to be that way, and because of that, never understood why so many people raved about them. Then I got this one and fully understood many people's gel liner obsession.
Essence's Gel Eyeliner is extremely creamy and easy to work with. It glides onto the eyelid in one fluid stroke. It's like everything the Ulta brand liner isn't! I was so surprised by the smooth texture of this gel liner. This eyeliner is light like a gel, but thick enough to be opaque in one swipe. I should mention that Essence doesn't indicate whether or not this eyeliner is waterline safe. Personally I haven't tried this on the waterline, mostly because I like how Avon's Mega Impact works on my waterline, and I also don't want a brush that close to my eyeball. It's up to you on whether or not you want to try this liner on the waterline.
Wear for this eyeliner is pretty good. I wore it on my way to Australia and it stayed on for about 20 hours, not that you should ever wear eyeliner that long on normal circumstances. I find that pretty impressive, since Essence didn't make any crazy claims about this wearing 12,18,24 hours While I haven't really tested this eyeliner's waterproof claims, I believe them, just because of the longevity of wear. I have however, tested the smudge proof claims, and it's legit. Essence's Gel Eyeliner sets right away and stays put. If you make a mistake or want to smudge this liner, you probably have 10 seconds or less to work with. Don't be too concerned about removal, which can be a pain for waterproof eyeliners. This one comes fairly easily with an oil based remover. Be thorough though, a little bit of this liner tends to hide between my lashes, giving me raccoon eyes in the morning.
London, Baby is richly pigmented and looks like a soft black or dark gunmetal in the pot. In reality, when swatched it's a dark charcoal shade with very subtle purple and gold micro glitter. The micro glitter doesn't show up on the eye, and I really only noticed it for the first time when I was doing my swatches. Even though the glitter doesn't show up on the eye, London, Baby has a fairly metallic finish, which looks pretty cool. A dark charcoal like this is a really good alternative to black eyeliner, especially for pale people like me. The nearly invisible flecks of glitter don't result in any apparently fall out, by the way.
Essence's Gel Eyeliner has completely changed my mind about gel eyeliner. I want to try so many more now! The texture of this eyeliner is superb, it's so easy to get a smooth, precise, opaque line. It wears really well, even on long haul flights. Best of all, it holds up to it's claims, not that that's hard. Essence tends to make really general claims about their products. I definitely recommend Essence's Gel Eyeliner in London,Baby. The color is super flattering and the price is super affordable. I'll almost definitely repurchase this epic gel eyeliner, and I'm quite tempted to try the other shades. This is everything a gel eyeliner should be! ^__^

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/18/2012 5:59:00 PM More reviews by alice2078

I really liked this gel liner. Super pigmented and really nice packaging for the price. In Canada this is $2 - $4 dollars so a really good deal. Also it is super creamy and pigmented, personally I don't have oily lids just normal so without setting it or even putting a primer it lasted around six hours for me! The only problem was that it does smudge, and you need to be a bit abrasive to get it off.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/18/2012 5:53:00 PM More reviews by Tallywa

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

this is a great drugstore liner, but i personally prefer the mac fluidline.
this is very creamy and very black, blacker than the mac one and i love this for traditional lining, however, my favorite way to line my eyes is tightlining, in which this stuff smudges, not badly and only after 4 hours (with no primer and not setting it, i just watched movies, so no sweating or anything), but still smudges, and my day is usually pretty long and there's usually a bit more sweating involved.
it does, however, do well against some other eyeliners i have, so it's still a very good product.
when i put this and fluidline side by side on the back of my hand, let it dry, and rub it, i notice fluidline kind of flakes off while this one smudges off, i think that's why it smudges on my eyelid.
this stuff stays pretty well on the waterline, so i'll keep using it for that, but i would honestly rather spend the 18 dollars on fluidline than this, just for that peace of mind. it's great if you don't have super oily eyelids like i do tho, so i'd still recommend it.

UPDATE: it smudges like crazy on my waterline too, again, as opposed to flaking away in little bits (and not giving me the panda look)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/9/2012 10:59:00 AM More reviews by Oilyacneproneskin

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got the black and taupe/grey. The black is very intense black and I like it but can't use everyday as it is too much. the taupe is good as well but seems a little less pigmented. I bought this at a local shoppers drug mart along with the eyeliner brush (dirt cheap but much better than the much more expensive eyeliner brushes I got from sigma) As with all eyeliners, it does smudge on my oily skin even with primer. This is comparable to all the more expensive gel liners I have (clinique in jet black, Kate in brown). Definitely will buy again...will look for the brown next time as I like a more natural look and brown gel liners definitely is the way to go for a natural look. The formula is smooth, creamy and very easy to apply

rated 4 of 5 on 6/9/2012 10:42:00 AM More reviews by Fairangel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

A few months ago I meant to buy the brown gel-eyeliner from Catrice, but I ended up buying black, because all the brown eyeliners had been touched. People had put their fingers into them -_-'.
I recieved comments though that a lighter eyeliner would work better for me, because I've got a very pale skin. So, today I ended up in a store that didn't sell Catrice, so I took a look at the Essence-section. I found this 'London Baby' gel-eyeliner. I've just tried it on and the color indeed suits my skin better. It's hard to say what color it is exactly, but I'd say it's brown-greyish. It wasn't too hard to put on, it didn't give me any trouble. It's dry now and I don't feel it at all. I'm curious how long it will last.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/5/2012 8:01:00 PM More reviews by mariasigma

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Okay this product works amazing (at least on me :P i don't have oily eyelids).l wore it in the morning travelled for hours i was sweaty , i even splashed my face with water several times and it did not smudge at all! l practically had it on for over 8 hours. Oh btw i didnt use any primer or eyeshadow. lt costs like 3,50 euros in greece so thats a pretty good deal. Definitely buying this again!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2012 1:04:00 AM More reviews by 10amald3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is amazing for the price! I have yet to use any colors other than black but I plan to purchase more. The price is very affordable and the packaging is very effective, has a nice and tight seal to prevent drying out, I have almost finished the entire jar and it has yet to dry out! This product will last you a very long time as well, I've been using it daily for over a year and have yet to finish. The formula is very creamy and the color is rich and dark just like a black liner should be. On the water line or the lid, this color stays on forever, has amazing staying power, would definitely recommend it for girls that have watery eyes, will definitely repurchase!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/3/2012 6:05:00 PM More reviews by xvivifyx

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This was horrible and so disappointing. I returned it, I REALLY wanted this to work since it was so darn cheap. Which, should have tipped me off.
After wearing it for only an hour I had awful smudges under my eyes. I had hardly put much product on anyway. It took some effort to get off of my skin as well. I tried it a few more times and had the same result. Even primer couldn't save this.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/3/2012 6:28:00 AM More reviews by cupcakeofmylife

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It's an okay gel liner. It smudges on me :( sob sob I was hoping much for this product since everyone raves about it.
The good thing about it is that it is SUPER CHEAP and the glass packaging is pretty, the colour selection is also pretty.
I really loved the colour London Baby but as I said before it smudges on me. :(
Too bad. I'll just collect for colours then..

rated 5 of 5 on 6/2/2012 6:19:00 PM More reviews by wingcheek

I just bought this product and i am quite amazed with it. I did a swatch on my hand and after 10 seconds or so, it completely dried. i tried rubbing it off (really hard) with my thumb and it did not move at all!! A tiny bit of product gives off ALOT of bold colour and it lasts on my really oily lids for a long time! I tried the infamous maybelline one, but it was not as good as this one! I really recommend this for people with oily lids; with eyeprimer, this product will last all day and night. It only costed me $3.50 and got midnight in paris and london baby. I'm abit disappointed with london baby because i was looking for a dark brown colour but this one seems to come off more purplish than brown because of the sparkles. Nonetheless, i love both of these colours and the product overall since it does not smudge or wear off.