Lucy Minerals Foundation

4.2

zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, mica, magnesium stearate, iron oxides, allantoin, Apple Poly polyphenols, resveratrol, green coffee bean extract, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate

on 12/8/2010 11:24:00 AM

I am not generally a fan of mineral makeup - I have tried most and always find the coverage to powdery or cakey...however I love this!
It is a super creamy formula and you do need to use a light hand, but it leaves a flawless finish, lasts well and does not oxidise (pet hate!).
I do think for best results you need to lightly use a finishing powder (as with almost all foundations in my opinion - with the exception of MUFE Matte and other matte finish foundations). I use the one by Lucy Minerals which is perfect with this, however any others will do - I have used Mac prep and prime and MUFE HD and they are both fine. I can't see how you can use the oil control formula (if you are obviously oily) and not expect to use a powder to set?

Once on, this behaves just like a liquid foundation - you can use cream blush or highlighters etc until you have set it with powder. You can even use a damp beauty blender lightly over it for an even more airbrushed finish…

Aside from being fantastic looking on the skin, the ingredients in this are amazing quality and beneficial so I can't recommend this highly enough! It's also quick and easy to apply.

I use light-medium which is perfect for my MUFE HD 120 - 125, MAC NC 20-25, Mac face & body C3 (In summer) Giorgio Armani 4.5-5.5 face…

on 12/8/2010 4:15:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Well I was in the market for a new foundation and I had some friends that swore by bare minerals so i gave it a try. I WANTED to love it but I just didn't needless to say I returned it and got on makeup ally to get some ideas about which foundation to try next. After reading the reviews on lucy minerals I decided to give it a try...I loved the idea of mineral makeup I just didn't know if it was for me but the sample sizes of her foundation are only $1.50 so you really have nothing to lose by trying it. I ordered medium, shell beige, and soft beige in the regular formula and oil control finishing powder with calcium. I LOVE this foundation and I'm definitely sold! I have oily skin and found bare minerals to accent every line on my face, and it also looked dry and cakey on. Lucy minerals was the opposite, it was soft and extremely natural looking and the coverage is great even on my darker under eye area. I have been using the soft beige and it works but am going to try the medium caramel & golden medium before purchasing my full size lucy's. The colors appear a little darker online than they go on. Oh and the finishing powder makes all the difference, it really minimizes pore's and gives your face a really nice airbrushed look. I have friends that have purchased this makeup because of how it looks on me and now they're also sold.... It's definitely a must try!

on 12/7/2010 6:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

So I got the "Try It" sizes of both of the oil control formulas in different shades to check it out. I've been using Bare Minerals for like 4 years and while I like it ok as an everyday foundation I wanted a little more coverage.

PROS:
Good coverage, better than BM.
Pretty good color selection. Great match for my yellow toned skin.
Easy to apply. Smooth and not cakey.

CONS:
Both of the oil control formulas don't really control my oily skin.
When I use blotting papers on my nose I can clearly see my pores after and I have to re apply powder.

Overall a pretty good mineral foundation for a good price. I think this will replace my BM for now.

on 12/7/2010 6:31:00 PM

This is a really nice mineral foundation... it doesn't sit in my pores or fine lines it has great staying power and an overall fantastic finish, plus the added skin care benefits. The coverage is very nice as well... I ordered 3 samples...regular finish and matte in both silica and calcium based... I have only tried the regular so far and I will be trying the two matte foundations next... Overall I am impressed with this, I have tried numerous mineral foundations and I really like this one... will be updating soon.

on 12/2/2010 1:50:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Wow! Did I get the same product as the rest of ya?? Ordered 4 samples of the oil control foundation and they were generous ones. I found a great match in 2 of them and am giving 2 stars for ZERO oxidation. That's my #1 gripe with powder fdtn is I get horrid little orange dots all over my chin regardless of primers, etc. I used this for 1 week and was terribly disappointed. Not only did this do nothing for oil but it got cakey and pastey and settled into my lines. It even pooled in areas fdtn normally doesn't like next to my mouth. I had to blot and then smear it around after about 3 hours. It just looked incredibly wet and gummy. LM is still my fave but can't find a color match I love so still looking.....

on 12/1/2010 3:37:00 PM

All of my young life I had dry pretty skin that tended to flush very easily.
In my mid fifties I have dry skin that tends to flake easily and due to hormone issues and medications my face tends to flush most of the time! (Getting Old Isn't For Sissies)

I have tried Philosophy and Bare Minerals and liked both but even though they had decent light coverage they tend to dry me even more and they are fairly expensive to boot.

After reading MakeupAlley reviews I found out about Lucy Minerals and decided to give it a try. I ordered 3 different Try It colors. I ordered CREAMY OLIVE, SHELL BEIGE AND MEDIUM CARAMEL. Oddly enough any of the 3 work well for me. I think I like Shell Beige the most because it seems like I am not wearing anything yet hides some of my major flaws. The medium caramel just makes me look like I got a touch of sun.

I couldn't understand when people said this foundation seemed to be creamy but it really does. My face never feels dry like it did with the previously mentioned foundations. I don't get flaky in the eyebrows or any place else. It is also true that when you first put it on it looks nice but 10 minutes later it is even better. It seems to melt into your skin for a smoother look.

It does a great job of covering my age spots or at least blending them in to match the rest of my face. Very little goes a long way and as far as the price goes, you can't beat it.

Shipping is fast and even the TRY IT containers have the little sifter top.

I like this well enough that I bought some for my daughter for Christmas. She has rosacia and I think she will like this for the coverage.

I would suggest anyone try this foundation. It works well for someone like me that likes light coverage but can do the work of hiding blemishes too.

on 11/22/2010 3:19:00 PM

I ordered some samples of this in the mail, and wow! With a concealer brush, this stuff covers the bags under my eyes like nothing else. Usually with a concealer, it either looks really fake on my skin or doesn't cover well enough (or both) but this really does the job.

The samples are really generous and will probably last me a while. She has a wide color selection - I tried Bisque and Light Medium, which honestly both look like a good match. Another neat thing about this foundation for oilies - she carries two different kinds of foundation for oily skin, in case one works better than the other for you at blocking oil.

I applied it with a coastal scents flat-top type stippling brush, but a kabuki would probably work just as well. The samples are really cheap, so you have nothing to lose by giving it a try.

EDIT: I've been breaking out terribly lately and I'm afraid this is the only thing I've been doing differently. It's also possible it's the makeup remover wipes I've been using, but I just want to make it a warning to anyone who's acne-prone.

on 11/1/2010 1:39:00 AM

I love Lucy! When my makeup vendor vanished, I did some looking around and heard about Lucy. I found my perfect color right away, great coverage and finish. I am quite happy with it and will continue to buy it.

on 11/1/2010 1:09:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I ordered five samples of Lucy Mineral foundation: regular (in both Light and Cream shades), oil-control silica, oil-control calcium carbonate, and finishing powder. The samples are generous and only $1.50 each. The order arrived very promptly.

The regular formula has a slight sheen but nothing like the glittery BE brand. Both the silica and calcium formulas are much more matte. The finishing powder is good for the sides of my nose and elsewhere where pores are more noticeable. I am an NC15 and the Cream shade is just right for me. The Light shade also works but has more pink. The regular formula oxidized ever so slightly but the oil-control formulas did not at all. I apply with a smooth sponge first, followed up with more product using a flat-top brush (Sonia Kashuk). It is easy to use too much of this very pigmented powder so there is a learning curve even if you are an experienced mineral makeup user like me. Now I just have to decide between the silica and calcium formulas. I cannot tell a lot of difference except I think the calcium one is a little more matte. I am glad there is no boron nitrate or bismuth oxychloride in Lucy Minerals.

Lucy Minerals also offers blush and eyebrow color. I highly recommend giving Lucy a try, especially if you are prone to acne. Be sure and watch their video for good application tips.

EDIT: I have tried the brow powder in Blondie and it is good but no better than Sally Girl's and more expensive and messier. I received a sample of a lavender eye shadow from Lucy's. It was awful; very glittery and got in my eyes while applying. It also did not stay on well or look good. Maybe their matt shadow formulas work better.

on 10/31/2010 8:52:00 PM

I decided to try this because of makeupalley and I am thrilled with my results.

I received samples of the oil control foundations and finishing powders. The calcium cabonate formulation works better for me than the silica, but I would urge anyone to at least try both if they have oily skin. And I have some OILY skin. The minerals keep the oilies at bay for about 4-5 hours in the office and longer if I am not at work (I have no idea what it is about going into work that makes me oilier, I just am). This is definitely longer than normal for me!

The shades are extremely forgiving and I match two different ones quite well (light and bisque) - light leaves me a little 'whiter' and bisque has a little more color after application, but neither oxidize or leave a telltale line on my jaw.

The coverage is amazing! I no longer use any concealer. I apply a light layer of the finishing powder before the foundation and this hold back the oil a little longer. I use a flat top brush (philosophy multi-tasking brush) and lightly tap around my face and buff in, followed by concealing with the Stila #33 and buff everything together one last time. I proceed with the rest of my makeup and morning routine, letting the minerals warm and settle on my skin and add the finishing powder right before I leave in the morning. Simple and looks fantastic! I even put the cream shade (too yellow for me) on my cousin who is struggling with oxidation and an orange face with whatever she uses and it is perfect!

No kidding about just needing a tiny bit. It can look like a mask if you overdo it, but start light and build if you need to. Once you get a feel for the amount your routine will be quick, easy and simple.

I haven't had any issues with my skin breaking out and there is no redness after I wash my face in the evening. So far it is fabulous. I'll edit if anything changes.