November 22, 2014 | 1878 users online

Foundations - Lucy Minerals Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 11/22/2010 3:19:00 PM More reviews by Loopachu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I ordered some samples of this in the mail, and wow! With a concealer brush, this stuff covers the bags under my eyes like nothing else. Usually with a concealer, it either looks really fake on my skin or doesn't cover well enough (or both) but this really does the job.

The samples are really generous and will probably last me a while. She has a wide color selection - I tried Bisque and Light Medium, which honestly both look like a good match. Another neat thing about this foundation for oilies - she carries two different kinds of foundation for oily skin, in case one works better than the other for you at blocking oil.

I applied it with a coastal scents flat-top type stippling brush, but a kabuki would probably work just as well. The samples are really cheap, so you have nothing to lose by giving it a try.

EDIT: I've been breaking out terribly lately and I'm afraid this is the only thing I've been doing differently. It's also possible it's the makeup remover wipes I've been using, but I just want to make it a warning to anyone who's acne-prone.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2010 1:39:00 AM More reviews by akara

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love Lucy! When my makeup vendor vanished, I did some looking around and heard about Lucy. I found my perfect color right away, great coverage and finish. I am quite happy with it and will continue to buy it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2010 1:09:00 AM More reviews by Banjos

I ordered five samples of Lucy Mineral foundation: regular (in both Light and Cream shades), oil-control silica, oil-control calcium carbonate, and finishing powder. The samples are generous and only $1.50 each. The order arrived very promptly.

The regular formula has a slight sheen but nothing like the glittery BE brand. Both the silica and calcium formulas are much more matte. The finishing powder is good for the sides of my nose and elsewhere where pores are more noticeable. I am an NC15 and the Cream shade is just right for me. The Light shade also works but has more pink. The regular formula oxidized ever so slightly but the oil-control formulas did not at all. I apply with a smooth sponge first, followed up with more product using a flat-top brush (Sonia Kashuk). It is easy to use too much of this very pigmented powder so there is a learning curve even if you are an experienced mineral makeup user like me. Now I just have to decide between the silica and calcium formulas. I cannot tell a lot of difference except I think the calcium one is a little more matte. I am glad there is no boron nitrate or bismuth oxychloride in Lucy Minerals.

Lucy Minerals also offers blush and eyebrow color. I highly recommend giving Lucy a try, especially if you are prone to acne. Be sure and watch their video for good application tips.

EDIT: I have tried the brow powder in Blondie and it is good but no better than Sally Girl's and more expensive and messier. I received a sample of a lavender eye shadow from Lucy's. It was awful; very glittery and got in my eyes while applying. It also did not stay on well or look good. Maybe their matt shadow formulas work better.

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/31/2010 8:52:00 PM More reviews by cvetanca

I decided to try this because of makeupalley and I am thrilled with my results.

I received samples of the oil control foundations and finishing powders. The calcium cabonate formulation works better for me than the silica, but I would urge anyone to at least try both if they have oily skin. And I have some OILY skin. The minerals keep the oilies at bay for about 4-5 hours in the office and longer if I am not at work (I have no idea what it is about going into work that makes me oilier, I just am). This is definitely longer than normal for me!

The shades are extremely forgiving and I match two different ones quite well (light and bisque) - light leaves me a little 'whiter' and bisque has a little more color after application, but neither oxidize or leave a telltale line on my jaw.

The coverage is amazing! I no longer use any concealer. I apply a light layer of the finishing powder before the foundation and this hold back the oil a little longer. I use a flat top brush (philosophy multi-tasking brush) and lightly tap around my face and buff in, followed by concealing with the Stila #33 and buff everything together one last time. I proceed with the rest of my makeup and morning routine, letting the minerals warm and settle on my skin and add the finishing powder right before I leave in the morning. Simple and looks fantastic! I even put the cream shade (too yellow for me) on my cousin who is struggling with oxidation and an orange face with whatever she uses and it is perfect!

No kidding about just needing a tiny bit. It can look like a mask if you overdo it, but start light and build if you need to. Once you get a feel for the amount your routine will be quick, easy and simple.

I haven't had any issues with my skin breaking out and there is no redness after I wash my face in the evening. So far it is fabulous. I'll edit if anything changes.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/27/2010 3:45:00 PM More reviews by lojo699

I love Lucy Mineral Foundation.
When compared to my Bare Essentials Starter Kit, Lucy minerals looks waay more flawless and covers up my acne scars much better.
Tips for new mineral makeup users: Buy the appropriate brush, it makes a huge difference. Make sure that you buff foundation into your skin to create that naturally flawless look that stays put all day. I buff the foundation into my skin in small circular motions for around 2 minutes before applying a second layer and repeating the process.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/26/2010 7:20:00 PM More reviews by Riverle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

I've been using this for a month and have found this MMU doesn't break me out at all. It doesn't go organge or change into a horrible mess. A con is that I have acne scarring and though this covers well initially, by the end of my work day I can see the worst bits 'shining' through. So the staying powder isn't the best for me (this is mostly on my oily t-zone). I use the fininshing powder too.
I have very fair skin but I found the Fair colour to be too light. made me look a bit sick haha. The Light colour seems to have more yellow in it than I'd like but it matches better. Sometimes I mix the two together which works well, it's just fiddly...
It's cheap. Great coverage. I had this shipped out to Australia and received it in no time! This is the best MMU I've found so far but I'm going to keep looking to find something better for me... 4/5 :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2010 6:58:00 AM More reviews by Leylani

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I fully agree with the reviewer below. Finally a mineral foundation I can wear without making my fine lines stand out. Today I am going for the full size in Light Medium, as my sample is running out soon.This foundation is holy grail material to me. I love it! It is VERY creamy, and just a tiny amount gives me exactly the coverage I want. My skin is leaning towards dry, and this mmu is not drying at all on me. EDIT 11/06/2010: I ordered the express kit # 2, and changed it to two full sizes of foundation. And also, I asked for one of the jars to be a 50/50 mix of Bisque/Light Medium (to use as my winter shade). My order arrived today, and the custom mix jar has my name on it! You know, where the name of the shade is stated? There it is; My NAME, in professional print as if it was the name of the shade. Wonderful touch <3

17 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2010 11:38:00 PM More reviews by rachelcameron

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Truly excellent product. It takes a while to get used to the application - very easy to cake it on. A little goes a VERY long way.. and now I've perfected the art of applying, and changed from a flat top to a rounded kabuki (applies less at a time), I have to review it as well and truly 5 lippies. Excellent natural coverage, no adverse reaction from my skin, and I get compliments all the time on my glowing skin. Also, Bisque a perfect colour match. A must try!

Edit: Forgot to say - I'm heading (fast) towards 40 and all the other mineral powders I've tried settle into lines and accentuate ageing, to differing extents. But they all do it. Was considering a liquid foundation until I found this one on MUA. Lucy Minerals hides all lines, doesn't dry out my skin and is all round brilliant. You will need a sunscreen underneath though as you need so little it wouldn't provide comprehensive protection from sunburn...

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/19/2010 8:05:00 PM More reviews by malchik2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Lucy minerals is my new favorite makeup & i love make up! The mineral foundation works so muich better than BE. It covers very well & last pretty much all day. I would recomend to anyone. I also love the Lucy Mineral eye shadows there fantastic & the blush.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/6/2010 11:54:00 PM More reviews by DJOCDeezy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

After reading the reviews on here and doing as much research as I could to find the best mineral foundation, I have to say that I think I found it! The coverage is amazing, it covers as well as my liquid foundation without feeling as heavy on my face. Using this along with the finishing powder saves me so much time getting ready, too, and that is a huge bonus. I think the prices are completely reasonable and plan to buy more when I run out.