April 21, 2014 | 1508 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Healthy Look Creme Gloss Color

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2010 8:29:00 AM More reviews by breathehappy

I normally use permanent hair dye, but I was afraid that my hair is too damaged to use it again. This was my first time using a semi-perm hair dye, and I loved it! I bought the #3 in Darkest Brown because it seemed like a cool/neutral color to cover my bronzed brown hair color. It's been two weeks since I've dyed my hair, and the color hasn't faded! The hair dye did not damage my straight, fine hair but instead feels healthier.

Will definitely buy again when I want to dye my hair a couple of shades lighter or darker!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2010 12:43:00 AM More reviews by urstandingonmytoes

I bought this in black and honestly..I am not impressed. I left it on for 15 min and it darkened my roots but did not color them as completely as I would have expected. I still had gray hair showing too. In probably a week or two, I'll have to go back and retouch my roots. It also did not leave my hair shiny, which my stand by Revlon does. I understand this is a temporary dye that washes out in 28 shampoos but so does Clairol's formula and it works 10x better than this stuff. I normally use a semi perm dye to retouch my roots in between permanent colorings but I won't use this product ever again.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2010 8:13:00 PM More reviews by ElyssaGrace

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I recently went to a salon and had my platinum blonde hair dyed to a relatively dark golden brown - probably between a level 4 and 5G. It looked amazing (much closer to my natural hair color) but began to fade into a lighter, more auburn tone. I wanted to regain some of the depth of color, but A) didn't want to spend the big bucks for a salon visit and B) wanted to experiment with a non-ammonia based product to keep my hair healthy...

I found Healthy Look - L'oreal's re-vamped Color Spa product. It promised high gloss shine and soft manageable hair. I picked color 4 which was entitled Chocolate, or Dark Brown. This is a neutral dark brown. I figured it would darken my hair a few shades while still preserving the golden undertones. And it did just that. It was easy to apply and althouh I have long hair, one package was plenty. My hair is now a deep chocolate brown with hints of golden highlights in the sun. I would suggest staying within one or two shades of your current hair color when using Healthy Look because it doesnt lift your color first - just deposits color, which is why it isn't as bad for your hair. But it's also why dramatic changes in hair color probably aren't going to be very successful with this product. However, if you just want to deepen your color or change the tone of your current color, this is an awesome choice.

P.S. The conditioner is amazing - if they sold it seperately I would buy it no question.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2010 4:02:00 PM More reviews by diffa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been trying to keep my hair dark again after having it lightened this summer. It's really hard to maintain a consistent color if your hair is porous and color fades fast. So instead of using permanent colors which lift your hair every time causing it to become more damaged, I began using demi permanent dyes which only deposit color. This is good if you want to maintain a color or darken your hair.

When I came across this product in a magazine ad I thought, "hmm looks promising" so I picked up a box the next week at my local CVS for 7.99 (yay for sales) I got cool chestnut brown 4AR which is a exactly what it is, a cool toned reddish brown. Packaging is typical of box colors and came with paper thin gloves. The smell was actually pretty good and didn't linger around my bathroom like most dyes do.

My hair prior to using this was already dyed with a semi permanent dye I got from Sally's. It held the color pretty well but it was beginning to feel like straw. Every time I would shower, no amount of conditioner would untangle it. Here's where Healthy Look comes in. Right when I rinsed this out, I felt my hair was smoother already. I didn't even put in the conditioner yet and it wasn't tangled! The color washed out pretty clear after 5 minutes and I followed with the conditioner it came with which smelled pretty good. After I got out of the shower came the towel test. If a lot of color came off my beige towel then it was a bust. But surprisingly nothing came off! We had a winner!

It's been about a week since I've used this product and I really am pleased with the results. And every time I wash my hair, barely any color washes out so I'm glad about that. I really love the texture of my hair now, much less like straw and more like silk. Try this product if your hair is too damaged for permanent dyes but you want to revive the gloss and shine in your hair!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2010 12:32:00 AM More reviews by firefly7

i read the reviews after purchasing and had some reservations about dyeing it...then the rebel in me said "what the hell! if my hair turns black it will fade eventually" i'm happy i tried it because the color i bought, 5CB Chestnut brown, turned out beautifully. My natural level is about 6 and my hair is quite golden brown. i look horrid with cool toned hair so i always pick golden or red shades. after reading that many reviewers had much darker results than on the box, i made sure to ready myself and apply as QUICKLY as possible. i applied to my roots w/ the applicator then took off the cap and literally dumped it all over my head massaging it through my hair. not the best way to color, but it comes with a lot of dye so it covered everything. left it on for exactly 10 minutes rinsed & conditioned. the conditioner is absolutely fantastic btw, even better than the usual ones that come in hair dye kits. i was left with pretty much the exact shade on the box-a warm reddish medium brown. my hair does feel extra silky, although it might be the conditioner. i will edit if it fades quickly.

overall, excellent product from l'oreal. i have tried other hair dyes from them and i think the're among the worst on the market. natural match, feria, etc all very drying and flat. i was surprised they have a winner!
EDIT: 20 days later..color has faded a bit but definitely still there...i liked it so much i bought another box already!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2010 12:20:00 PM More reviews by pmburk

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Let me start off by saying that I have coarse, thick, dry wavy hair that is heat styled daily. I am a natural redhead but color to cover greys and revitalize my color, plus I like to go darker in the fall and winter. I usually use light auburn Garnier Nutrisse or L'Oreal Excellence. Due to the condition of my hair and my desire to lessen the damage (and the fact that I like to color often), I love the idea of a color that isn't as harsh as a permanent. I can't find L'Oreal Colorspa anywhere and the red range wasn't good anyway, and Natural Instincts only available red that isn't burgundy is Spiced Tea, which is WAY too orange for me and then fades crappy.

I picked up Healthy Look yesterday at Walgreen's for $9.99 with a $2 coupon. I debated between this and Garnier Herbashine, but glad I went with Healthy Look instead. I ended up getting 6R light auburn brown (spiced praline or something) as it was the only available light reddish shade. I was very nervous about this, I tend to avoid anything remotely labeled "brown" as it always grabs super dark or turns burgundy, but I figured I'd try it out. Immediately before coloring I did an Aphogee protein treatment, then applied the color after my hair had been pretty thoroughly towel-dried. Even though the instructions say to use it on completely dry hair, mine was damp. Oh well. The color didn't smell bad or anything, it was a bit runny though so be warned to watch for drips - this could also be due to the dampness of my hair, though. Left it on 10 minutes, rinsed, and conditioned. I skipped their conditioner and used an Ion Extreme Moisture Nurturing Cream deep conditioner packet that I left on for several minutes. After coloring and before conditioning, my hair felt very coarse. After conditioning it was fine. Overall I am very happy with the color. My hair is a light brown with a LOT of vibrant red in it, slightly darker and redder than the box, but not by much. It is only a touch darker than I'd normally go, and I'm sure it will lighten up after a few washes. I agree this line runs lighter than every other color line out there. Normally anything with "brown" in the name, my hair grabs the color and turns practically black or goth burgundy, but not with this - so that is pretty impressive. Also, my greys are completely covered and - wonder of wonders - no roots! This is the first temp color I've used that actually made my roots and the ends the same color. The coverage on this is very good, moreso than any other non-permanent colors I have tried in the past.

Bottom line - the color is nice and pretty true to the box, the overall coverage results are much better than most other non-permanent colors out there, and I am all for anything that is less damaging than permanent color. I like this color and will definitely repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2010 9:27:00 AM More reviews by Tina68

Iíve been a happy and faithful user of Colour Spa for more than 10 years, so Iím more than a little unhappy LíOreal discontinued it. I called LíOreal to voice my annoyance over this and in an effort, I guess, to appease me they sent me a gift certificate to try Healthy Look, Colour Spaís replacement, on them. I bought it in #4 Dark Chocolate. Though the box says the processing time is 10 minutes, experience with Colour Spa has taught me to go a little longer if I want the white hair to be covered. I left the dye on for 18 minutes.

The instructions for Healthy Look are easy to follow and mixing the colour is fast and easy. I also watched the tutorial they have on LíOrealís website on applying Healthy Look. It was interesting, but I have to say, I do not look like the model when colouring my hair. AnywayÖ.I digress. The after-colour conditioner is more than a generous size. Itís recommended to use once a week to keep the colour and shine at its best. Healthy Look goes on dry hair which I donít have an issue with as Iíve always applied hair colour to my hair dry. I should add here that my hair is almost to my shoulders and is thick and coarse. One box did me just fine. After applying the entire colour I massaged it in making sure to get to the roots so the white hair would get covered. The colour is gel-like and I had no issues with it running down the side of my face or neck. Stained parts of my skin were easily cleaned off in the shower with a little bit of scrubbing. I washed it off in the shower and the colour came out easily enough. All in all my hair looks pretty good. Itís shiny, the colour is even and my hair is soft and doesnít feel like itís been processed. But then, my hair was all of these things before I used Healthy Look. It does have a stronger smell to it then Colour Spa Ė a little similar too Ė but it wasnít anything that made my eyes water or made me want to pass out. The kicker for me is this: not all my white hair got covered even though I took extra care to make sure they were covered in the colour. Also, today is Thursday, I coloured 5 days ago and my whites are visible (not to anyone else, but I can see them). So, either this isnít very good at covering white hair or I may need to leave it on longer next time. Yes, there will be a next time. I will have another kick at the can and leave it on longer to see if that makes a difference covering white hairs. If not, then I guess Iíll try Natural Instincts as Iíve noticed they have expanded their colour selection.

Overall, my experience with Healthy Look has been positive. Whether I become a faithful user, well, I donít know yet.

Update as of 22 March: Used this colour again. Left it on for 30 minutes. The colour is vibrant and shiny. My greys, however, are not completely coloured and the colour washes out easily even though I waited 24 hours before shampooing. Will not repurchase unless I'm absolutely desperate.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2010 1:39:00 AM More reviews by nieblagv

I just tried #4 Dark Chocolate and I loved it. My natural hair color is dark brown with a few gray hairs and I usually try ash or neutral tones to prevent brassiness. I am also very hesitant about dying my hair at home (for some reason, my hair always turns reddish if I use store-bought hair color). However, this product met all my expectations; my hair is very shiny and soft and the color matches my natural hair color without any reddish or orange tones that I usually get from other store-bought dyes. The color looks very even and they grays are covered. The smell is strong but pleasant. One thing I do recommend is that you use a bowl and brush instead of the bottle since you can get every drop of the dye on your hair; I have a lot of hair, below the shoulders and this way I was able to cover all of it without having to buy another box.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/12/2010 10:03:00 AM More reviews by baubet

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

So this is my second time using this product. Once again my hair is very shiny after the coloring, but the color I chose 5CB is way too dark. Think dark copper brown. I guess I should have known better since demis seem to do this. I wish someone could devise a haircolor that would actually match the description. Hopefully it will lighten quite a bit in the next few washes.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/3/2010 9:47:00 PM More reviews by Fresha

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

Oooh! A new Level 2 hair color. I had to try it. I bought this in 5CB Chestnut Brown, a sort of reddish medium brown. This color, unlike most semi-permanent colors is applied to dry hair. The texture is very dry and almost chalky after I applied it to my hair. I don't know how I feel about that, I guess I'm just neutral on the texture. The smell is like any other level 2, and my hair doesn't feel any softer than usual.
My hair is naturally very dark brown at the roots, so I expected darker results. About 3 inches out my hair is very slightly lighter where my stylist lightened my hair a few months ago, and then I used a med/dark permanent brown dye over it to blend the roots. My hair is far from virgin, and I am quite experienced at coloring it myself. I hoped that this new color would brighten my roots and blend them in to my ends. Well it didn't really do that. My roots are still the same color with a slight red tone, and the rest of my hair is A LOT darker than it was before. The color is far from what is on the box. Usually semi-permanent colors will lighten my roots a bit. This didn't. I suppose if I wanted to go black or very dark brown this color would work.