November 23, 2014 | 1051 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Healthy Look Creme Gloss Color

rated 3 of 5 on 3/24/2010 12:10:00 PM More reviews by mdamiani

In the past I used Feria, Preference,Natural Match and Excellence.It came out that new Excellence formula was the winner.I didn't have to color my hair very long time.Used light brown and it kept the color for three months.Very shiny,too.After my new haircut, I decided to try Healthy Look Creme Gloss. My roots are between light and medium brown, so I decided to use Medium Brown. I knew it will come out darker, I also like dark brown,so I was thinking if I have it for few days,fine by me. It seemed to be a good idea not to use permanent color,as I wanted to keep my hair in good healthy condition.It should give shine and keep it healthy,so why not.
Well, after 10 minutes coloring,then conditioning(conditioner very nice),my hair came out black. My roots are weird very dark purple.Rest of my hair black with redish tones.Indoors looks black,not even nice black color. Sorry,but Excellence gives more shine...So,I was waiting two days,washed my hair and with hope looked in my mirror. Well, black faded to weird blackish purple/red.No sign of dark brown,so how can I expect my medium brown?

So, my advice to you. If you want to avoid black,don't come close to medium or dark brown.The thing is.. Why is there red or purple in natural medium brown?It is not even permanent color! I am not freaking out, but it did even kill the chance for me to go and try light brown some time later.Was hoping for a decent not permanent color,but this is not the one.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/16/2010 10:26:00 PM More reviews by butt

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

pros: beautiful BASICALLY true-to-color shades, good conditioner, shiny
cons: a bit drying at first, slightly too dark

I mixed "medium brown" and "cool chestnut dark brown" and ended up with darkest reddish brown hair. I like it, but I have to say it's darker than I expected. A part of me knew it would be very dark, but it's fine, because it's demi permanent anyway. I'll update later to say how its lasting power is. I felt when I first washed it out my hair was kind of...gummy.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/15/2010 12:44:00 PM More reviews by moogagirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Not wanting to compromise my natural colour as it's taken so long to grow, I decided on a demi-permanent. I was at the point that if my colour could not be fixed, I would chop off all of the old bleached hair.

I went by the name of the colour rather than what it shows on the box - I chose Light Brown 6. I also bought 2 boxes as my longest layer is to my bra strap and the bleached areas are very dry (yay for the $2 coupon!)

EDIT: sorry, I have to edit my 5 stars down to 3, maybe more like 2.5. The main problem is that it's been a few weeks and my hair feels DRY. Super super dry; even the parts that were all natural, never bleached and in really good condition. My stylist noticed as well & recommended leaving hair masks on for an hour at a time to try to add some moisturize back. It was feeling pretty good before I put this colour in.

Also, the colour has a lot of red. I got the light brown, but it's VERY reddish. If you are against having a lot of red in your hair, this might not be the right dye.

EDIT 2: Ok, I am NOT happy with what this did to my hair. It doesn't appear to be a wash out - I've had it in a few months and my hair has very much changed permanently. It's VERY red - a brassy faded brown colour. So gross. It's also very dry still, which is from this product, my hair felt great before it. Now all the time I spent growing my natural hair colour out is for nothing, I'll be dying my hair blond again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2010 10:25:00 PM More reviews by MIJA_97

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have used Garnier Nutrisse for at least two years...but I saw this at the store and thought meh why not ..I saw the package and was in love and then I saw one of the colors and I said I DEFINATELY have to try this color..so I chose 4AR Cool Chestnut Brown...I liked the color ALOT although my hair is already dark but it gave it that kick of brown/red tone..loved it! and the conditioner..OMGGGG it's smells amazing ANDDDDDDDDDD love how my hair felt afterwards even two days later my hair is VERY soft and shiny NOT drying at ALL....I WILL definately repurchase!!

rated 2 of 5 on 3/11/2010 3:38:00 PM More reviews by opus_00

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I had used L'Oreal Colorspa Moisture Actif for several years, then switched to Clairol Natural Instincts when Colorspa became almost impossible to find. I was excited to find L'Oreal's new demipermanent color Healthy Look because I have always had success with L'Oreal hair products. Unfortunately, I was VERY disappointment with this hair color. I used Medium Brown #5.

This color is applied to dry hair (as opposed to other demi colors I have used, which were applied to wet hair). My hair is very thick and coarse, and I found it very difficult to apply evenly. If you have a similar hair type, this may not be the hair color for you. I didn't care for the paste-like consistency of this color.

I am very unhappy with the final color result. I have medium brown hair, and chose Medium Brown #5. I normally choose an "ash" tone so that I won't develop unwanted red tones, but I couldn't find a medium brown in ash in this line in any store or online. I decided to give this neutral Medium Brown a try, and that turned out to be a very bad decision. My final color is almost black with red/burgundy undertones! I know that some demiperms pull darker on hair, but most have only looked too dark on me on the first day, then lightened up a bit to the perfect medium brown color. This one is still just as dark after 3 days and several washings.

The worst part about this color for me is the SMELL! It's not as bad as a permanent hair color, but much more offensive than any other demiperm I've tried. I find it very strong and sweet. I have washed my hair 3 times and still cannot get rid of the smell. I had my hair cut yesterday, and considered asking my stylist to shave all my hair off so I wouldn't have to deal with the smell anymore! I am wearing my hair in a ponytail just to keep the odor as far away as possible.

I had also used L'Oreal Natural Match (another ammonia-free hair color) a few times in the past, and while I didn't like it as much as Colorspa or Natural Instincts, I much prefer it over Healthy Look. I don't understand why L'Oreal discontinued two other decent non-ammonia products for this one.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/7/2010 12:33:00 PM More reviews by Lisa1000

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I only have a few grays, but they're the reason I color my hair. Unfortunately, this hair dye just washed right out of my grays after three or four shampoos. (I even left it on for the extra five minutes it suggested for resistant gray.)
If I didn't have any gray hairs, I would give this dye a 4 out of 5 since it left my hair shiny and healthy with good color.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/2/2010 2:34:00 PM More reviews by zoesarusunny

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Natural Hair Color: Dark Ash Blonde
Previously Colored: Medium Natural Blonde with L'Oreal Preference Dream Blonde
Purchased Color: L'Oreal Healthy Look Creme Gloss Color in 6R (Light Reddish Brown)

I've been medium blonde for what seemed like too long and was emotionally needing a change. I wanted to go slightly deeper with a little red tone. My hair tends to pull oranges and ashes so I decided to try light reddish brown.

I noticed that this product was new to the market and was a level 2. Since I haven't previously tried this color, I decided that level 2 would probably be a good idea. I've used Clairol Natural Instincts but they had an ingredient nonoxyenol-9 (I checked today and they've since taken this ingredient out) that gave me terrible migraines so I wanted to try L'Oreal instead. I've used L'Oreal haircolor products before with great success so the brand was a comfortable purchase for me as well.

First of all, the gloves are terrible. If you are frequent color user, I would suggest buying a box of nyplex or similar gloves at Costco and using those instead. The extras in the box come in handy around the house anyway.

The color when mixed had the same color and a smell similar to blackberry yogurt. It goes on okay, like most haircolors, but it seems to immediate start to evaporate or something. By the time I'd done my roots and was ready to pull the color through, it was very difficult to work the color through. It became somewhat paste-like.

Washout was pretty tough. Because of the paste-like quality, it took well over 5 minutes to rinse the product from my hair. Several days later, I'm still finding purple stains when I dry my hair.

The conditioner is exceptional. Pretty neutral smell but works well and the texture isn't as slippery as Clairol conditioners. The conditioner rinses out easily and leaves your hair quite soft.

The color is pretty unusual. It is a very intense auburn red without a hint of brown. I've gotten some compliments on the color but since these compliments have been from VERY young people (teens) who are quite experimental with their own haircolor, I'm not sure this is the type of compliment I'm looking for. If you want very intense eyecatching color, this is probably a good product for you. If you want more subtle, catch the red in the sunlight but mostly is light brown, skip this one. After several days, the color seems to actually deepen rather than lighten. So now I'm somewhere between medium and dark auburn and not anywhere near light reddish brown. It also seems to be taking on a burgundy cast now as well.

My daughter hates it, my husband kind of sheepishly shrugs when I ask his opinion, so I'm not really happy at this point.

UPDATE: This morning I called Clairol and gave them the rundown on what had happened and asked for suggestions. They suggested Natural Instincts Light Neutral Brown. 1 oz developer, 1 oz color, and 1 oz of my regular shampoo. They think this will tone down the red some, add in some neutral brown, and overall bring the color down to a level that doesn't scare small children. Application was easy, they've removed the offending chemical from the product that gave me headaches (nonoxyenol-9), and rinseout was a breeze. Not fond of their condition as it has the texture of snot but I used it anyway and followed up with a deep conditioning treatment. I'm currently sitting under a showercap full of Artec Kiwi Color Masque doing a deep conditioning treatment. So far things seem okay but I haven't dried it yet so I don't have a final outcome on the color.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2010 8:29:00 AM More reviews by breathehappy

I normally use permanent hair dye, but I was afraid that my hair is too damaged to use it again. This was my first time using a semi-perm hair dye, and I loved it! I bought the #3 in Darkest Brown because it seemed like a cool/neutral color to cover my bronzed brown hair color. It's been two weeks since I've dyed my hair, and the color hasn't faded! The hair dye did not damage my straight, fine hair but instead feels healthier.

Will definitely buy again when I want to dye my hair a couple of shades lighter or darker!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2010 12:43:00 AM More reviews by urstandingonmytoes

I bought this in black and honestly..I am not impressed. I left it on for 15 min and it darkened my roots but did not color them as completely as I would have expected. I still had gray hair showing too. In probably a week or two, I'll have to go back and retouch my roots. It also did not leave my hair shiny, which my stand by Revlon does. I understand this is a temporary dye that washes out in 28 shampoos but so does Clairol's formula and it works 10x better than this stuff. I normally use a semi perm dye to retouch my roots in between permanent colorings but I won't use this product ever again.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2010 8:13:00 PM More reviews by ElyssaGrace

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I recently went to a salon and had my platinum blonde hair dyed to a relatively dark golden brown - probably between a level 4 and 5G. It looked amazing (much closer to my natural hair color) but began to fade into a lighter, more auburn tone. I wanted to regain some of the depth of color, but A) didn't want to spend the big bucks for a salon visit and B) wanted to experiment with a non-ammonia based product to keep my hair healthy...

I found Healthy Look - L'oreal's re-vamped Color Spa product. It promised high gloss shine and soft manageable hair. I picked color 4 which was entitled Chocolate, or Dark Brown. This is a neutral dark brown. I figured it would darken my hair a few shades while still preserving the golden undertones. And it did just that. It was easy to apply and althouh I have long hair, one package was plenty. My hair is now a deep chocolate brown with hints of golden highlights in the sun. I would suggest staying within one or two shades of your current hair color when using Healthy Look because it doesnt lift your color first - just deposits color, which is why it isn't as bad for your hair. But it's also why dramatic changes in hair color probably aren't going to be very successful with this product. However, if you just want to deepen your color or change the tone of your current color, this is an awesome choice.

P.S. The conditioner is amazing - if they sold it seperately I would buy it no question.