September 21, 2014 | 1912 users online

Treatments - OPI - Nail Envy - Original

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2008 3:13:00 AM More reviews by margaretshelton

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this product and have been using it for years. My nails are naturally weak and chip easily, and when I use this product they grow out nicely and are very hard to chip. The key is to put on two coats at first and then do another coat every other day for a week then start over. It gives a nice shiny look while it's working its magic, and I use this product continually as a base coat for color polish and as a top coat over color. It's expensive and will get thick after a while, but it's one of my favorite products.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2008 11:48:00 AM More reviews by sardonic_girl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Hands down best ever nail hardener. Found it after I had acrylics removed. Not cheap but lasts a long time. Holy Grail ladies!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2008 9:10:00 PM More reviews by moth

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is one of a number of products where the ingredients list is, word for word, the same. Despite this, I was stupid enough to buy three of them until I discovered the trick to keeping the stuff from lifting off the nail. The clue? Nails absorb water. So you put this on, layer on some color, put some more on. Every night, before bed, thinking it would have plenty of time to set. I get up, shower and once I'm on the train, I notice... everything is peeling off. Looks awful. Had to start carrying the polish with me to touch up my nails t work. Then, just on a lark, I tried putting the polish on the under side of my nails and leaving a small ridge on the very tip when I did so. Then I painted over the top, filling in to the ridge. On went the color, then I repeated this -- paint the underside and leave a little ridge on the edge. Let that dry, put on the last top coat. Nails are waterproof -- I just gave both my kids a bath and the polish hasn't budged. EDIT: I am upgrading this stuff to 5 stars. First, I discovered that buffing my nails before applying Nail Envy helps the polish stick better. Second, I spent the last two days working as a carpenter -- with no polish on, but my formerly pathetic, useless nails took all the abuse. I'm sure it helps that I've been taking biotin supplements for several weeks, too.

FYI: The formaldehyde in Nail Envy reacts with the keratin in the fingernail, causing it to form more crosslinks. A little bit is a good thing (unless you are sensitive to it), but beware that prolonged use can make the nails brittle.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/22/2008 7:33:00 PM More reviews by yanyanyan

I dont really think this product works on my weak nails, the best similar product would be from Sally its the best~

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2008 10:52:00 PM More reviews by jalmy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've been using this for a couple of months and I really like it. I use it as a base coat and it helps my polish stay on longer and my nails seem healthier. Despite the high cost, I'll definitely use this again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2008 4:01:00 PM More reviews by pixiehottie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've been using this for years. Everyday for a nice healthy nail look and when I wear polish I use it as a top coat. I'd really like to try the matte as well!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2008 10:39:00 AM More reviews by PerfectManicure

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This is by far the BEST nail product out there! It's a strengthener but I use it as a base and topcoat as well. As a nail strengthener it can't be beat - adds strength and shine without being too thick and peeling (like a lot of strengtheners out there) - love it! As a base coat it hugs nails and provides an unbeatable smooth canvas for polish - again, love it! As a topcoat it gives amazing shine and keeps your colour put - still loving it! The price seems steep at first ($20) but you will spend a lot more money experimenting with mediocre products. And because it can be used as a strengthener/basecoat/topcoat - you'll be rid of clutter. I would recommend this product to anyone and will absolutely be repurchasing it. I'm in love!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/17/2008 2:53:00 PM More reviews by Pol

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

It works for me. I use both the orignal and the matt. I often use the original on top of other brands of nail varnish to help it last longer.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2008 10:53:00 PM More reviews by kitashi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

If you use this product according to the instructions (two coats at first, then one coat every other day) then this stuff works awesomely. I've actually found that you only need to apply another coat about 3 times a week instead of every other day. The nail polish dries very quickly when applied. My nails are prone to peeling, and this is like liquid steel for them. As long as I make sure to apply it when needed, my nails grow beautifully. Without this stuff I cannot get them to grow much at all. Because of this it is worth the price, and will continue to buy this again and again, as I have been. The ONLY problem with this product is that when you near the end of the product, it gets veeerrryy sticky and dries as soon as it has contact with the air. This is to the point where it is unusable. This has happened with every bottle I have ever gotten, and am currently on my 4-5th bottle. Oh well...

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/6/2008 6:27:00 PM More reviews by tuffins

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I purchased this on sale in a holiday package and paid about $9 for it (compared to $22 CDN regular price) so I am happy I didn't pay full price. With that said, I do believe this is a pretty great product. As a lifelong nail biter, this stuff has been a god send. My nails are stronger and the peeling has pretty much been eliminated. The shine it leaves makes my nails look very polished and nice. I do notice the yellow tinge but it is not a big deal (I take it off and reapply when I notice signs of yellow starting). I would never pay $22 for this but I would most certainly pick up another bottle if I found it on sale again. EDIT: everyone keeps asking what I am doing to my nails to make them so healthy!? Well... Nail Envy. My Mom is sold, My sis is sold...even have a bottle of Matte on the way for the BF. This stuff is worth it's weight in GOLD. Amazing. (I never thought I would say that about a nail product...) Try getting it on ebay, way cheaper.