July 26, 2014 | 1529 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2011 1:33:00 PM More reviews by felgoj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

If your health ins covers this it's usually a great deal monetarily. I remember when I used this & didn't have health ins, it cost a great deal more (though I don't remember the actual amt as this was over 10 yrs ago). Generally it's dispensed by Rx only (I don't know if that's changed in recent yrs).

I used to use Retin-A for relentless acne as a teen & then in my late 20's for excess sun damage (hyperpigmentation, wrinkles, thickened skin, enlarged pores). It worked great & improved my skin texture nicely, though the results took some time to develop (6-8 wks).

However this product has its pitfalls. Since it thins the skin, it's absolutely mandatory to wear a good strong sunblock while using Retin-A. Definitely be careful to protect your skin from the sun. It also can cause irritation, dryness & sensitive redness. The redness was unpleasant for me. And definitely flaking! My face would randomly flake badly around my mouth & embarrass the living daylights out of me when I'd finally look in the mirror & wonder how long I was walking around with a flake beard like a shedding lizzard (I hated that no one ever warned me!).

Gentle scrubbing to slough off the flakes was a regular requirement since the flakes never stopped. No amount of moisturizer prevented it. My skin would flake anytime it felt like it & i became constantly paranoid. In this area Retin-A didn't provide me w/any self confidence or peace of mind, ever.

I also had to use it on a specific schedule - not every day b/c it's very strong, so every 3rd night before bed, & it's a pain to keep track of on/off days on the calendar & remember if it's the right day to apply or not. All of this became tiring & a drag, regardless of the benefits...so when I finished my last tube of Retin-A, I didn't renew or refill the prescription. I had enough of all that for a while.

The nice thing is that I can always restart again in the future. It's a wonderful, effective product (albeit very strong & requires careful usage - very tiny amount each time). I'm in my late 30's now & my skin really needs to look better, but Retin-A isn't something I want to commit to @ present. It requires responsible care & longterm commitment. I'd rather do a home TCA peel instead (which I would only do in the wintertime to avoid sun damage to renewed skin).

I do recommend this product, but you have to commit to it & suffer some punishment.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2011 12:00:00 PM More reviews by bankston76

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I am 34 and destroyed my skin with the sun and tanning bed in my earlier years, I'm very fair. My skin is very bad texture, wrinkled, saggy, blotchy. I have used this for a couple years and it's the only thing that makes me look younger. I have tried to stop using it and I look 10 years older when i do. People tell me I look like I'm in my 20s, I seriously hear this all the time. I use the stuff that I order online and I use .025 strength. The .05 strength was too strong and made my skin too sensitive and dry. I also use a C serum during the day which helps with skintone and makes my skin glow.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/16/2011 6:51:00 PM More reviews by catah21

i was prescribed the Retin A by my derm.. ive had clear skin my whole life however during my pregnancy and after giving birth.. my skin went bonkers.. had breakouts on my chin and forehead. I was prescribed the Retin A .. and i apply it evenly on my face ONLY AT NIGHT.. then apply a mositurizer like cerave or Dessert essence night cream.
YOU must apply sunscreen every day.
It did cause some peeling.. nothning major.. no redness. I did notice my eyelids were irritated.. my derm said its cause the RETIN A spreads.. so dont apply too much.
ALSO dont WAX ur eyebrows while usign this. .. i learned the hard way..
its been 6mos + and my skin is alot clearer.. it has a youthful glow.
again.. see a dermatologist.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/7/2011 1:56:00 AM More reviews by storminateacup

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I`m writing this review as a warning, because I think sometimes we all get a bit carried away in the pursuit for perfection and don`t do it as carefully as we should.

DON`T prescribe yourself Retin-A. Yes, you can get it online without a prescription, yes, it does wonders for a lot of people. But it`s prescription for a reason: because only a doctor can determine if it`s right for you or not.

I prescribed this for myself, stupidly, and bought it online. I had blotchy pink skin and acne, with the beginning of wrinkles, and after a LOT of research thought: Retin-A seems like what I need. Smooth out skin tone, get rid of pink scarring, sort out spots.

I used it sensibly: once every two or three days for about six weeks. Yes, my skin went red, yes my skin was peeling, but not unbearably. I was patiently waiting for the side effects to die down. But they didn`t, and my face got blotchier and blotchier, and angrier, and hotter: to the point where I was icing myself in a restaurant with cubes from my drink.

It was only then that I started researching Rosacea, and sure enough: rosacea was what I have. I went to a dermatologist, and I`d totally screwed my skin up: it`s two weeks after last applying Retin-A and my skin is still bright red. Far, far worse than it was before I started.

THe thing is: the things a lot of us turn to Retin-A for are often symptoms of other conditions. My acne "scars" weren`t scars: they were broken blood vessels below the skin, and they are now significantly worse. My uneven skin tone was because of inflamed skin. The "acne" on my cheeks was rosacea pustules, (although sadly I also have proper acne on my forehead and chin so it was confusing). And my prescribing myself Retin-A without having the education to understand what was actually wrong with my skin, I`ve damaged it and now have to get laser surgery to undo it.

Retin-A is GREAT for a lot of people, but please: go to a dermatologist and DON`T play doctor yourself. That hundred dollars to see a professional is much much cheaper than the money you`ll have to pay if you damage your face.

57 out of 71 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/10/2011 1:23:00 PM More reviews by pttraveller

I had an extremely adverse reaction to Retin-a, even though my skin isn't particularly sensitive and I haven't had an allergic reaction before. My whole face broke out into hives, I lost several layers of skin, and there are dark scabs on my chin and cheeks. Beware, this product is NOT for everyone!
BTW, I used 0.05, and only ONE time

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2011 5:40:00 PM More reviews by Amsi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm giving Retin-A another try. I've tried it twice in the past but gave up due to the initial redness, peeling and breaking out. I'm not clear yet, but I'm getting better. I still break out, so it's not a miracle product, especially if your pores block up as easily as mine do.
+++
My routine is to use a gentle cleanser at night, let the skin dry and apply RA and nothing else. In the morning, I use 2.5% benzoyl peroxide gel from acne.org, followed by a gentle moisturizer and foundation.

I do get flaky and just use my fingers in the shower to buff off the dead skin cells. Sometimes I use a gentle washcloth, but I only use a scrubbing exfoliating wash maybe 2x a month since that aggravates my skin.

RA makes your skin peel and does make acne go down much faster. However, it also peels off the top layers and exposes any buildup underneath. The BP in the morning, however, helps keep the bacteria at bay as its being brought to the surface. Don't use BP and RA at the same time, though, as BP reduces the effectiveness of RA when used at the same time. I just use RA at night and a thin layer of BP in the morning.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2011 7:48:00 PM More reviews by ScoutJ

My skin is supersensitive and very fair (redhead skin), and there hasn`t been a day in the last 12 years when I haven`t had spots. I`d sort of given up and have been relying on make-up, but now wrinkles are starting to form and I thought: goddammit, I`m going to do whatever I can to try and stop them BOTH for just a couple of years (and if it works: great, continue forever).

I have scars from years and years of spots: not deep (not textural), but pink discolouration. I also have a deep(ish - I`m only 29) line between my eyebrows from frowning at a computer screen. I want clear skin: less wrinkles, no need for makeup!

Day 1-4 Surprised that Retin-A 0.025% doesn`t burn on application, as almost everything does. Little bit of pinkness, little bit of dryness. Put it round eyes and it REALLY hurts. Swollen and lined and dry: look like I`ve been crying for years. Using it every night as no noticeable reaction.

Day 5. Noticeable reaction. Skin is pink, raw and the faint pink discolouration/spots under my skin have become bright red. Dryness, although little peeling. Eyes - really bad. Stopped using it under eyes after two times, but still look swollen up and wrinkled. Am leaving that area alone until I`m used to Retin. Quite embarrassing: my colleague told me "I look really ill". On the upside: bumps under skin are reducing significantly.

Day 7. Gave it a break for a couple of days, and skin healed quickly. Little bit pink, pretty crusty and dry but treating it gently and not scrubbing away as tempted to do. Already starting to see potential: bumps are clearing, peeled skin feels softer.

Day 9. Using every other day and trying to suppress intense excitement. Apart from a couple of humdinger zits, my skin is looking clearer and softer than it has in.... a decade. No redness/very little peeling. HG? God, I hope so.

Day 11. Skin peeling like whatnot, and redness going in and out: very strange. sometimes pink, sometimes not. Leaving skin alone, though, because scrubbing the hell out of it just seems to be hurting it. Reckon it'll stop cracking up when it's good and ready. Going to up this to four stars already, because my skin - the bits that aren't cracking - is soft soft soft and my spots are disappearing completely. :)

2 weeks. Went REALLY red all of a sudden, so stopped using it for a few days. skin normal colour now and very soft/clear(ish: still marks from previous spots). nasal-labio folds have gone suddenly much deeper though, so think it must be drying them out. will leave RA off them for another day or two.

Nearly 3 weeks: My skin is getting used to it, I can tell. No longer tingles on application, no longer redness the morning after. Have been using it every other day but may start upping to every day with breaks if there is dryness/redness. THIS STUFF IS AMAZING. No dryness anymore at all: baby soft skin. seems to be controlling my greasiness too. had a reaction to new suncream yesterday, and last night RA went to action on the little red spots: this morning, seriously reduced. starting to feel - and i can`t believe i`m saying this - SOOTHING. upping to five lippies because my skin is so soft and zits reducing.

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2011 6:08:00 PM More reviews by enotkatya1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Just started to use this cream. I use 0.025 strength. So far I like it. I don't have any excessive peeling. My skin love it! I got prescription strength from my dermatologist, I have 2 sun spots (from pregnancy I think) and I hope to get rid of them. Will be updating...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2011 5:03:00 AM More reviews by raenamercedi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I initially used Retin-A in middle school when I began to experience mild acne. At this time it proved to harsh, and I had to discontinue its use.
I started using Retin-A again at 30 years of age when I began to experience cystic hormonal acne. I was prescribed 0.025% of the cream from my doctor, which left my face feeling very greasy. I now alternate nightly between 0.025% and 0.05% of the gel-cream from ADC, and I have had amazing results.
My acne has completely cleared up, with the exception of an occasional blemish. My pores are very clear and almost invisible. I have noticed that my fine lines around my eye area are almost diminished. My skin has a healthy glow, and my skin looks much younger than most people my age, which is 32.
My only complaint is that I now experience dryness, especially around my mouth and on my chin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2011 7:38:00 PM More reviews by Tindra78

This is EXTREMELY strong!

Now I have been used this gel-version with 0,025%, for 4 weeks.

I actually never could use it even every other day, cause of the dryness it occurs...nor every third day. This "killed" my skin, and maybe some of the acne also...but the worst thing of all is that my face looks HORRIBLE 1-2 days after I've used it (mostly during night). It's all red, itching, I can't smile (!!), the face is like "schrinked"....the skin is SOO dehydrated that it hurts!! It's all "orange"/red and the skin is "cracked"...horrible... the feeling of SOO dry skin is horrible when you need to work and meet people, and be active... :(

Takes me 4 days to "repair" the skin after one nights use...

I don't know what to say about this product. I have tried everything under the sun for my acne, during the last 15 years. But this is one of the harder products (I was on Accutane 3 times when I was younger) that i've tried....it is MUCH stronger than azelaic acid and benzoyl peroxide, they can not even be compared!

I don't know if I'll go on with this...I can't use it more than every 3-4 day (first week I tried every other day with skin burn as result) My skin is very sensitive, and a lot of BP has some effect on my acne...I don't know if I should stick to the BP...and maybe try to combine it with glycolic acid or something else...But this is killing the skin more than the acne...

UPDATE 20/1 - 2011: My skin is not that red anymore! It has got used to the retin-a, it does almost not react negative at all! During the last week it has got better and better, now I can use it every second or third night, and the skin has got a beautiful lustre.... I can't belive that the horrible dryness is gone!!! :D The trick is to take it easy and listen to the skin; If it has been overdried, I have used moisturizer only - not to hurry on with the retin-a..... AND the best of all is that it keeps the blemishes away! I really hope that it will go on with that, really, really....This is better in controlling acne than the BP! With the BP I always still had many small blackheads, and acne. But this also minimizes the amount of blackheads!! :D

I still don't dear to hope that this will keep on going this good... And I haven't found the "perfect" balance between ("normal") dryness and moisture cause I have to change my facewash to a milder one and find a moisturizer with a spf... But right now I'm just so happy that I haven't had to fight with the zits and blackheads fore a week!!!!!!!!!!!
Back with the lippies!!! :D