October 25, 2014 | 1893 users online

Mascara - Chanel - Mascara Exceptionnel

rated 2 of 5 on 9/24/2008 4:24:00 PM More reviews by LipstickGraffiti

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I don't care for much about this product. The six-sided brush didn't do much to add to the final appearance of this mascara, and I can't stand mascaras that flake, flake, flake. This one left flakes under my eyes all day long. For $28, I certainly expect better performance than this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2008 8:59:00 PM More reviews by evakser

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This mascara really lives up to it's name - it is really exceptional! I have tried most mascaras. Drug Store to High End brands, I've tried so many. I've tried Chanel's inimitable and Extreme Cils with no luck. Clump city and spidery lashes too. Used Diorshow but it smudged, used Dior Iconic, nothing special, not very volumizing on me. Givenchy Phenom'eyes wasn't half bad, but I kept hitting my eye because the brush is a weird shape/size and I found that it slid off my lashes after a few hours. Bad Gal lash gave me beautiful long, full lashes, but the raccoon eyes were beyond compare. Most recently I've been using Estee Lauder's new mascara called Sumptuous, which is a great everyday mascara - no smudging, no flaking and beautiful inky black color that stays on. The only thing is that Sumptuous is not quite as dramatic as I'd like. BUT, Chanel's Exceptionnel is amazing. Long, full, lush lashes and no smudging or flaking, and dramatic. If the formula doesn't change in the opened tube, as sometimes happens, this could be my HG mascara. Gorgeous lashes - Phenomenal mascara. Downside is the price. But worth every penny!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/22/2008 5:26:00 PM More reviews by ninadelsol

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Absolutely fabulous mascara. I have long lashes to begin with, and do not use fake lashes, but I still need more length and thickness to give each lash definition. Mascara Exceptionnel worked beautifully.

The application was easy. Place, Twirl and pull up. It was easy.

End result, my lashes looked long, thick, and overall beautiful with this mascara on. No flaking, no smudges and lasted all day. I'm throwing out my Dior Show immediately and switching over to Mascara Exceptionnel. I've always been more of a Chanel girl anyway and this mascara is worth every penny. You can get sampled of it on ebay if you want to try before you buy. :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/22/2008 2:37:00 PM More reviews by boogiedisease

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Diorshow is my HG mascara, and although I love it to bits... I'm having second thoughts as I like this just as much.

Like others, I received this as a sample from Allure. I had been curious about this mascara since I had first seen it advertised, but figured I'd never give it a go. I'm quite happy with my current choice.

Upon removing the wand from the tube, I must admit, I frowned. I've never seen a wand like it -- it's a combo of flat plastic spots mixed with hard, short comb-like bristles, along with short, traditional-style mascara bristles.
The application method is a bit different from what I'm used to... basically, you twirl it from the base, then extend it to the lash tips. I thought it was going to be a pain, but it's quite easy.

The result: thick, long, dramatic lashes. Exactly how I like them. No flaking, no smudging. Like Diorshow, I can happily go without false lashes (I've used them for years). This gives me that effect. In the most natural way possible, of course.

The only thing that makes me like this mascara more than Diorshow is the colour. This is BLACK. Even Blackout isn't this black.

I'm more than happy to purchase this, as it's only $4 more than my regular Diorshow. Seriously, these two are the only ones I've found that don't clump, flake, make a mess, etc... and I've tried a lot!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/20/2008 1:06:00 PM More reviews by scdrums

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Silver, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I got this as a sample from Allure also, otherwise I would never have tried it. I love the mascara because it adds volume, stays put and gives me a slightly dramatic look. I hate the price and it is pretty near impossible to remove unless you want to really pull your skin and irritate your eyes. I will not pay $28 for mascara, but I will try to use the brush with another one of my more removable mascaras.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/19/2008 11:36:00 PM More reviews by MagicalFlame

Lol Not really special, just another Allure sampler...I can't say I love this mascara. I curl my lashes before application and I do enjoy that they stay curled until the end of my 9 hour school day (sometimes even longer for days of after school activities)which makes my eyes look awesome, especially because of the Asian, short, and down-slanted lashes I'm 'blessed' with. That's pretty much all that I like about it. The mascara isn't that slow drying but I can't say it's that quick for the time I have to get ready. My lashes do look thicker but not to the extent that it looks fake as a reviewer suffered. The brush I can't say it that great. The 'longest' side clumps my lashes if I don't coat on at least 3 layers which is a bit much compared to my other mascaras. The shortest (bristles) can't even get to my lashes unless I try to poke my eye other. Basically, not for those with short lashes unless you're an expert at this. So no real help from the design of which Clinique has a similar one but only 2 sides which is enough for me and it doesn't clump. The main problem of why I won't buy this mascara is that it smears all under my eye by the end of the day and LOOKS TERRIBLE. When I use my make-up eye remover, I did notice I still have a lot of mascara on the lashes which is a bit of a plus but the panda look really doesn't help my Panda nickname ^_^

rated 4 of 5 on 9/19/2008 5:43:00 PM More reviews by kim50803

I felt lucky for getting a sample from Allure, until I came here and found out how many other people received one too! LOL!
I have never tried Chanel mascara before, I do like the formula itself. I thought I would get the hang of the brush/comb wand.....I just make a mess. When it dries after I make a mess applying it all I have to do is take a Q-tip and wipe it off. I found if I use primer that the mascara flakes. Without the primer it stay on all day. I'm not sure about the price, being Chanel I'm sure it is quite expensive. I would not purchase again but plan on checking out some of Chanel's other ones.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/19/2008 3:39:00 PM More reviews by kubskin

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I know what this mascara is supposed to do especially after reading all of the glowing reports here, but it was sorely lacking for me. I thought at first it would be difficult to apply but that ended up being the easy part. I like a more dry mascara so it was perfect in that aspect. The first time I wore it, soon after I had stick straight, thickened lashes with mascara on them. I always curl my lashes first, so I was surprised. The next day I used my Shiseido primer and it was better but my lashes curled in some very odd positions after application and I had flaking as well. Then later in the day I had lovely raccoon eyes - always love that affect. I purposely did not wear eyeliner for several days to verify it was the mascara. I'm glad I'm only testing it (like many others) and will not purchase. I don't think I like "thickened" eyelashes especially when they look too clumpy.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2008 2:58:00 PM More reviews by jiney17

I also got a sample tube from Allure recently. I knew right away when I pulled the wand out that the mascara was going to weigh down my (Asian: short, fine, straight) lashes. Tried anyway and it totally did, despite my having curled and primed beforehand. I had to spend another ten minutes with my heated eyelash curler, lash comb and a tube of my trusty Maybelline Full 'n' Soft waterproof in order to get my lashes looking decent again. Grrr...

I found that this thickened my lashes quite a bit, almost too much. I put on two coats and ended up with spider lashes. It dries quickly too, which made it difficult to comb out all the clumpiness with my trusty metal-toothed lash comb.

After combing my lashes as much as possible, I found that they looked really thick and black, but in a fake way that doesn't look so nice up close. The volume just isn't as 'clean' and defined as what I get from Maybelline's Full 'n' Soft waterproof (my HG). My lashes also felt stiff and a little crunchy. I found Exceptionnel to be rather difficult to remove, even with cleansing oil and a separate foaming face wash.

I tried it again over Shiseido's mascara base and got slightly better results. It still weighed down my lashes, though maybe not quite as much as before. Unfortunately, this time my lashes went into spider-leg mode with only one coat of mascara. Argh...

The brush has been described here already, so I won't get into that. But I think the 'combs' are spaced a wee bit too widely, so the twirling technique they recommend isn't very easy to pull off if you have short lashes.

Exceptionnel reminds me a lot of L'Oreal's Voluminous waterproof mascara in look, wear and feel. But of course, more expensive. Try Voluminous before forking over the cash for this one (we are in a recession, after all). I've tried at least half-a-dozen high end mascaras and still am not convinced that they're worth the price. I'll stick with my Maybelline, thank you very much! continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2008 1:09:00 AM More reviews by shyviolet

I got a sample of this to try for Allure. When I go this, I was like 'oh darn, I don't wear mascara'. Well, I do now! I put this on, thinking about all of the reasons why I don't like mascara (spidery, fake, crunchy lashes) and this stuff proved to be in a league of its own. It dramatically darkened my lashes and made them look exceptionally thicker and longer. It did not look fake, it was more like I just naturally had the darkest, most lush lashes anyone could ask for. I thought I would be going out to get a full-sized tube of this, but when I saw the $28 price tag I felt very disgusted. Isn't mascara supposed to be thrown out every 3 months? I'm paying $10 per month for mascara? I now have a mascara bill? Um, no. This experience has enticed me to revisit the world of mascara and try to find one that like for less. Who knows, if I don't have any luck, maybe I will come back to this. But this is waaaay too much to spend on a mascara.