Maybelline Volum' Express The Colossal

3.5

Water - Aqua , Paraffin , Potassium Cetyl Phosphate , Beeswax - Cera Alba , Carnauba Wax - Cera Carnauba , Acacia Senegal Gum - Acacia Senegal , Glycerin , Cetyl Alcohol , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Sodium Polymethacrylate , Hydrogenated Jojoba Oil , Hydrogenated Palm Oil , Phenethyl Alcohol , Phenoxyethanol , Steareth-20 , PEG/PPG-17/18 Dimethicone , Polyquaternium-10 , Silica , Soluble Collagen , Simethicone , Panthenol , Disodium EDTA , Iron Oxides - CI 77499 - CI 77492 - CI 77491 - May Contain , Titanium Dioxide - CI 77891 - May Contain , Ultramarines - CI 77007 - May Contain , Chromium Oxide Greens - CI 77288 - May Contain , Chromium Hydroxide Green - CI 77289 - May Contain , Manganese Violet - CI 77742 - May Contain , Ferric Ferrocyanide - CI 77510 - May Contain , Mica - May Contain

on 10/1/2013 9:24:00 PM

Best mascara I have ever tried and I have tried so many of them including all the high end department store brands. This one is by far my favorite. It does everything I want in a mascara. It thickens, lengthens, holds a curl, doesn't flake or smudge and lasts all day. I finally found my HG mascara.

on 10/1/2013 2:27:00 PM

PROS
-inexpensive
-doesn't flake
-doesn't end up under my eyes
-dries quickly

CONS
-the scent (cloying rose smell)
-doesn't volumize
-doesn't lengthen
-clumps like mad!

I bought this on sale a few months ago and once I'd opened the package I knew this one was one to pass on.

First, I like scent and, if it's a nice scent, I don't mind scent in a product. Some mascaras stink and smell bad. Others don't smell like much at all. And some have scent added for some reason or another. This mascara? It seems that Maybelline has tried to cover up an otherwise not too offensive scent in this mascara with a heavy scent of what smells to me like old, dying roses. And it's not a scent that goes away. Every time I've worn it throughout the day I get whiffs of it and it's really off-putting for me. Maybe some people wouldn't notice it, and I do admit to being very aware of scents in general in my environment. I'm not scent-sensitive in terms of it being a health issue. But I know what I do and don't like in scents. And like this I do not.

Aside from my scent obsession with this product, it's overall mediocre at best. With several mascaras in my arsenal to compare this one to, I'd have to say it does what a mascara is supposed to do - coat your lashes with a product. And that's about it. It hardly volumizes at all. And it doesn't lengthen, but that's not what this masacara claims to do. All it does for me is clump. I think that's due to the thick old-style spoolie. With all the better silicone mascara brushes in the market in recent years, I really think the brush that comes with this mascara does it a disservice because it's crap at applying the product well.

To give it the credit it this mascara does deserve, at least it doesn't end up under my eyes by noon like Esssence's Crazy Extreme Mascara does every day. And at least it sticks to the lashes, unlike the Organic Wear formula offered by Physician's Formula. And it doesn't make my lashes look ultra spidery like NYX's Fly With Me does. It's also not hard to remove. On me, it doesn't flake. It's not super wet and it dries quite quickly, which adds to the clumping factor but also makes it easy to layer if you need it to do that.

The only way I would buy this mascara again is if I was traveling, lost or forgot my mascara, and had to buy another one for short-term use. It'll do the job of making my lashes look done-up enough to go out in public, but it's certainly nowhere near HG status.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have yet to find my HG mascara, but this comes pretty close. My lashes are on the shorter side, so I know that no mascara will make them look long. That being said, I go for volume. I use three coats of this & get the look I want. It does flake a little & smudge in the outer corner of my eyes.

This mascara is too clumpy. It always flakes and it hard to get off your lashes

on 9/25/2013 5:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is my absolute favourite mascara of all time. I have tried more expensive brands but am always disappointed and end up coming back :) I find, with a few layers, it adds the perfect amount of volume and length without too much clumping. The brush is perfect for covering and separating each lash, I know this because I tried the 'Cat Eyes' version, which is the same formula but with a different brush, and it made my lashes very clumped. The only downside for me would be that it dries up quite quickly in the tube so I have to replace the mascara before the product has necessarily run out. Other than that, perfection!

on 9/22/2013 4:30:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

People seem to be reviewing the "Cat Eyes" version of this mascara on here, which they shouldn't be because the two mascaras are very different. I bought this version randomly and I actually really liked it. It added a lot of volume AND length to my little eyelashes. It can be a bit clumpy, but you can get around that if you know how to properly apply the mascara. The formula is quite wet at first, so waiting for the mascara to dry between coats is necessary. It also holds a curl very well. The size of the large wand is not really a problem for me as I have learned to use it over time. The only con with this mascara is that it flakes a little and it does smudge a bit under the eye but I've noticed that concealing and using an under eye setting powder can really help with that. Although the mascara is not perfect, I have yet to find one that works better. Will be repurchasing.

on 9/14/2013 9:42:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure

Clumps. Flaky. Uneven coverage. Definitely not the best from maybelline.

on 9/12/2013 1:14:00 AM

ok first of all my lashes are only 1 centimeter long, they're stick straight poniting down, and they're extremely light and sparse looking,meaning they dont show up in photos. I also have monolid eyes, which constantly push my lashes down. After curling my lashes, I apply and really work this onto my lashes. I don't count the number of coats, I just work it. This mascara gives me length, volume and holds my curl pretty much all day at school, so like about 6-7 hours. If you want more length, swipe the mascara from bottom to top like the traditional way to put on mascara. If you want more volume, just put the wand against your lashes, like literally just press it against them a few times. The only downfall to this is that it does smudge onto the bottom of my eye, but to be fair every mascara prob will smudge on me because of my oily monolids. Mine's in waterproof as well, which I have tested against water and crying, which didn't flake or budge but just sort of ruined the curl and made my lashes slightly clumped together. And just for reference, after curling and using this mascara, I literally go from looking as if I have no lashes, to having pretty decent ones that people can see and even compliment and ask me what mascara I use.
*tip: a great way to remove the waterproof version of this is to use vaseline. yup, petroleum jelly.*

on 9/7/2013 2:06:00 PM

All time favorite. Not too wet, not too dry. No clumps, holds a curl, good for sensitive eyes, and an easy removal. I can go on for days. I like the washable better because it comes off and goes on a bit easier. Love love love it

on 9/4/2013 10:24:00 AM

I am usually somewhat satisfied with maybelline - but not this time. I got this in the cat eyes and I HATE it. It goes on horribly -- doesn't work into the eyelashes, doesn't build up, clumps badly, and then later on it flakes off. Not to mention - the brush hurts my eyes.

I wish I didn't buy this.