October 21, 2014 | 1800 users online

Hair Color - Ion - Color Brilliance

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2014 8:14:00 PM More reviews by allymack

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I purchased several Ion Color Brilliance Creme tubes to fulfill a yen I have to go back to blonde hair. My hair is naturally medium brown. I initially messed around with two drugstore box dyes (John Frieda foam and Nice n' Easy) spaced a month apart, before realizing there was no way I would ever get to blonde going that route from my starting hair colour. After both these drugstore dyes, I had only really gotten myself to a very ugly reddish light brown/dark blonde.
Yesterday, I mixed together Ion color brilliance cremes 10v and 8v with Ion sensitive scalp developer, vol. 40, 1:1. I left it on for 45 minutes, followed with a Clairol shimmer lights shampoo, then Ion after-colour treatment, then a mixture of Dove intensive damage therapy conditioner and Clairol shimmer lights conditioner. I am left with what my sister calls honey blonde hair, an 8-level blonde with a hint of strawberry, in good condition - it feels soft to the touch, slightly more dry at the very ends.
I'm really impressed. This colour is not the cool blonde I'm going for (I've picked up Wella Color Charm T15 and T18 and 20 vol. developer to mix together and tone this week), but considering how much my hair loves to pull brass, the fact that I'm not left with unflatteringly strong orange or ginger tones is awesome. I only left in the shimmer lights conditioner for a few minutes, and the shimmer lights shampoo I hardly left in for any time at all (not wanting to damage my hair further), so I doubt this provided enough toning to fully account for the lack of brass. The only con I would really say is that the cream consistency of the dye was a bit more difficult to mix with the liquid developer.
Bottom line, I would definitely re-purchase Ion color brilliance creme. While I didn't get the cool blonde on the swatch, I think the flattering shade I ended up with is pretty darn good considering I was going all the way up from brown hair. I intend to use the leftover 8v and 10v (or maybe some 9v I also have on hand) to take care of my roots, and just make sure to follow with toner.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/1/2013 11:49:00 PM More reviews by mzmaheen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

Ok I'm annoyed beyond belief

I bought Ion for my mom and dad to cover their graying hair (root touchup mainly)
and this use to work soo well..

I buy the Darkest Brown or Black
and now it turns their hair this hideous greenish color and doesn't really cover the hair properly...I mean i made sure to use tons and it still didnt do anything..

So will I repurchase..NO

Going back to nice and Easy

rated 4 of 5 on 11/16/2013 12:01:00 AM More reviews by robbiephilpott51

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I used Ion Color Brilliance shade 7IR-77.66 (liquid formula) with Ion Sensitive Scalp 30 Volume Developer. I processed for 45 minutes and covered my hair with a plastic cap for maximum lightening and brightening. I am a plain Jane natural level 4N (medium neutral brown.) This didn't lift and deposit as much as I had hoped, I was aiming for a level 7 with as much red as possible. This lifted only one and a half levels and gave me an intense red result that I was satisfied with nonetheless. My hair was virgin and in good condition to begin with for the record. I was going for a edgy, avant garde, punk look and that is what I got. The dye itself looked pure red in the applicator bottle, a little dripped down onto my forehead and stained it the same color so I'm sure that the pigment used in this particular shade was completely red, pretty much a permanent version of Manic Panic. The consistency of this formula wasn't so thin as to drip everywhere but not so thick that it was hard to mix and apply using an applicator bottle. It was stated on the box that this contained less ammonia than other permanent colors but it smelled like it had just as much as Wella Color Charm or Clairol liquicolor permanente however the fragrance used to mask this was much more pleasant than both of the other mentioned brands, kind of fruity. While processing it itched a tad like all permanent colors but it did not burn or cause any kind of allergic reaction. My hair came out feeling just as soft as it did before I colored it and had a lot more shine. It has been a month and a half since I used this (I only do a retouch every other month to maintain the integrity of my hair as much as possible) and it has faded out into a more natural looking orangy red that color looks good also. All in all I would say this is a standard decent performing product but it's saving graces were only the pleasant fruity fragrance, the dye's box design, the developer's bottle design, and the Ion Color Brilliance applicator's design. I know that those things aren't very important to the average consumer but I am a very visual person and these things matter more to me than they matter to other individuals. Bottom line this is as good as anything else Sally Beauty Supply carries but way better than drugstore box color. As always, with professional color you know the exact level and base of the color and you are able to choose the strength of the developer. In a few weeks I think I will use the darker 6IR-66.66 for my retouch, hopefully this will deposit even more red. The higher the level of color the more bleach the formula contains and less actual pigment is included. This was my mistake with the actual formulation, there is nothing wrong with the product itself. I do recommend this product and I will definitely use it again. I give this a 4 out of 5. If this contained less ammonia as stated on the packaging would give it a 5.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/28/2013 9:52:00 PM More reviews by BeatrixKidd0

Compared to my regular toner, I can't say I like this one better. I normally use 10V toner in another brand in a Demi permanent but since my hairdresser moved and I have taken to bleaching my roots and toning, I needed to find an alternative.

My hair went fairly platinum with the 10V- 10.6 Lightest Cool Blonde. I'd really like it more if it was a demi perm because this stuff stank and dried my hair out. I'm attempting Wella's T18 Lightest ash blonde next to achieve the bright white I enjoy. I like to put pastel and bright colours in my hair and need it as light as it can go with little damage. The T18 takes a lot less time and from the reviews, it has more of a purple tone as my previous toner had. The Ion 10V went slightly lilac during the colouring process but not as much as I'd like. Probably won't be getting this again.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/21/2013 9:30:00 PM More reviews by xenobia1968

If I could give a "maybe" on purchasing this again, I would. OK ladies...I bought this thinking I was smart enough to use it lol I've read the directions and still can't figure out how the heck to mix it correctly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Once I figure it out and use it, I'll update the review. Thanks in advance!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/21/2013 9:02:00 PM More reviews by clarissa90

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have been using the Color Brillance for four years now. I used to use box dyes from the drugstore and they were such a hassle to use. I never got my desired colour and the price is practically the same as the Color Brillance. I use the liquid permanent hair color and I highly recommend it. I will repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/6/2013 12:56:00 PM More reviews by mdamiani

For quite few years I was trying to get a nice shade of light ash brown hair color, but without any luck. Few times I used drugstore boxed color and once went to salon. Every time my hair was either reddish brown or orange/brassy afterwards. So I gave up for a while. Well I after I finally realized that we have Sally's stores here in Canada, I decided to try my luck once again.I bought quick blue bleach and Ion 30 developer to lighten my hair and also got Dark ash blond and Light ash brown brilliance crème color with Ion 10 developer. Let me just say I had experience with almost every color to come out darker so I wanted to make sure it doesn't happen again.
1. I lightened my colored medium/dark brown hair to light orange/yellow only, so the ash color doesn't come out as green. It took about 15-20 min. to get to that level with bleach. Washed my hair then took a bit of Ion 10 developer and put it in my hair to stop processing. Well I was reading about that a while ago so wanted to give it a try. Hair was in great condition, but I also conditioned it after bleaching with Ion repair solution effective care treatment for 10 minutes and it made hair feel like silk after washing it out.
2. I mixed 1/3 of Dark ash blonde with 2/3 of Light ash brown color and added Ion 10 developer (1:1) as I wanted to deposit color only, no more lightening was needed. I spread it evenly on dry hair and left it on for 30 min. Then washed it and again used Ion effective care treatment, this time left it for 3 min. Washed my hair and styled it as usual. I was so happy that FINALLY I was able to achieve a beautiful shade of light ash brown hair color. Not a hint of orange in it.. But not to forget I mixed two shades to get it right. Will have to see how the color will fade, but for now can't stop looking in the mirror as I am honestly happy with the quality of the products I used and my hair feels so soft. I don't see myself going back to regular drugstore to buy my hair color ever again.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2013 7:29:00 PM More reviews by Melissa89

I LOVE THIS COLOR! I used the 4N with a red booster, and the ion sensitive scalp developer. it smells nice and it colored amazing! My hair was a bit dry but it came out healthier andnis now gorgeous!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2013 9:57:00 PM More reviews by beachgirl1210

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I absolutely love this hair color! I have naturally dark brown hair, however, with the summer sun and bright rays hitting my hair, my hair has a copper undertone that gives my hair a dark brown/ brassy color. It looks alright on me, but I prefer to have my hair without the reddish tones because it brings out my complexion and eye color more.
Anyway, I have thick hair, but not the thickest around. Anytime I use a drugstore box color (revlon, garnier, etc) it never has enough to cover my whole head and the color does not last very long. I picked this up at Sally's and my hair became the exact color, very true to the box (didn't make my hair black like the drugstore ones did). It also covered my whole head of hair with more to spare and it put in a great shine to my hair. I almost feel like my hair was healthier than before I even started the process. This stuff is awesome!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/26/2013 8:22:00 PM More reviews by Katiecanflyyy

I used the color medium intense red from their red collection. I had previously gotten my hair dyed red at the salon for a fair amount of money because it was something I had really wanted to do. I'm one one those people that doesn't like to spend a lot of money on materialistic things so after a while I went searching for a cheaper alternative at Sally's and found this. The dye and the developer cost me $10 which is significantly less than I pay at the salon. My roots had grown out quite a bit so i was scared about getting hot roots and I picked medium as opposed to light because I had heard that it came out brighter than the swatch in the store. I ended up getting 20 vol developer. I loved the end result. My roots match the rest of my hair perfect and the color was a nice dark red with a nice purple undertone but not over powering. Next time though I might mix a little straight red to make the color more vibrant. But other than that, this dye was amazing and well worth the price.