Vaseline Cocoa Butter Smoothing Body Butter

4.4

on 6/27/2011 1:38:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

This product is fantastic. It smells amazing, it moisturizes well and it's very affordable. I also use it on my dry, rough feet. You can use it in summer and in winter, it's perfect for year round use.

on 10/11/2010 6:50:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

love this butter!smells great,my skin is soft,moisturized!great butter,love body butter!

on 8/16/2010 4:14:00 AM

At the moment, I use this product only in the evenings on feet, hands, elbows and knees, because it really is very rich and moisturizing and if I use it in another season than winter on the whole body, its a tad too sticky for me. It does a good job keeping my feet and hands soft and nourished, and I find it has very good moisturizing properties and a pleasant, sweet cocoalike scent - so I would buy it again for winter or like now, for especially dry areas.

on 6/14/2010 3:51:00 PM

I live in Canada where out winters are harsh and my skin gets extremely dry. I only use this product in the winter as I find it makes my skin feel a bit sticky. It is extremely moisturizing and smells great.

on 5/30/2010 4:22:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

- Skip down to 'Final Consensus' for short summary of overall thoughts on product -

*Update January 8th 2011: Received The Body Shop's cocoa butter body butter for Christmas, and the difference was quite noticeable. While this is a good cheap alternative, it definitely does not compare to TBS's version. Overall, I will not likely repurchase this body butter, but I do still like it, thus my ratings and review remain the same. Would probably only repurchase if I were unable to afford TBS's butter.

What it Claims:
"Cocoa Butter Smoothing Body Butter is a moisture infusion - it melts into skin and smoothes away dullness, for a deep down glow.
* Rich cocoa and shea butters - help restore skin's healthy glow
* Conditioning moisturizers - leave skin soft and smooth"

Claims - True or False?
1) Melts into skin: True.
2) Smooths away dullness for a deep down glow: True.

Packaging:
Comes in a pretty brown plastic tub, which is somewhat transparent. The labeling itself isn't quite as attractive as the colouring of the tub, but it provides the basic information such as ingredients and directions. When unscrewing the lid, it has a foil attached to the opening. I personally disliked this upon my initial purchase as I was unable to actually smell the product.

Smell:
I personally really like the scent. I wasn't quite as enamored with it at first, but it really grew on me. Truth be told, I much prefer The Body Shop's Cocoa Butter Body Butter in scent; this one seems cheap and fake in comparison, but I still do like the sweetness. A little strong, but fades over time.

Consistency:
Unlike TBS's butter, this one is very smooth and creamy, much thinner. Because it is thinner, I find it blends over the skin better and thus less can be used, but it doesn't seem to be as hydrating. Somewhat greasy, but it does absorb quite quickly. Has a slight brown-ish colouring.

Ease of Use:
No issues with use for me. The consistency allows for easy spreading on the skin and easy scooping from the tub, the lid screws on and off well enough and isn't affected by any residual lotion on the packaging.

Bang for your Buck:
A definite cheaper alternative to TBS body butters, averaging at around $8.00CAD for the 8oz tub. Although it's not nearly as expensive, I find that the price is still high for the amount given, as I found that with daily use of the product, I ran out within two months. It could be that I used too much, though, as I was quite generous with how much I used. I was able to find it for a cheaper price at stores like Walmart and SuperStore, so it's definitely worth checking out.

Final Consensus:
An affordable body butter comparable to that of The Body Shop's. Definitely not a better dupe for TBS's, but a good cheaper alternative. Recommended for those with normal to dry skin. Works well on stretch marks and dull skin.
- Pros: Cheap, nice smell, feels nice on the skin, leaves skin looking smooth and glowing after regular use, can help with stretch marks, easy to find, nice texture and consistency.
- Cons: Doesn't work well on very dry areas, consistency is a bit too thin for my liking, scent is a bit too artificial at times, not as luxurious as The Body Shop's version, if used all-over will be used up quickly.

Overall Rating: 4/5
Price: 2/5
Packaging Quality: 3/5
Would you buy this product again: Yes.

on 5/15/2010 12:59:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

In my 20s, I swore off lotions containing mineral oil or petrolatum and began using vegetable oil-based lotions. Long before Whole Foods, my lotions came from the health food store. I was an Alba Botanica Emollient Body Lotion loyal users for years, but a few years ago I noticed something. In winter, my post-menopausal skin was thinner and in winter way drier than ever before. Gasp, my wonderful all-natural lotion wasn't working anymore. My skin looked flat and dull. I suddenly realized that in winter, the thing my skin need more than anything was a lotion with mineral oil/petrolatum which wood act almost as a sealant/protectant. I tried the Vaseline Intensive Care Cocoa Butter line and was really SHOCKED at the results. Smooth, creamy, moisturized skin. I love the scent, so it's not an issue. It's a wonderful line. I still alternate it with a vegetable-based lotion that I get from Whole Foods: it's a very nice shea butter lotion. I still feel that natural lotions feed and nourish the skin, while mineral oil/petrolatum lotions protect. But this is a fabulous Body Butter. And if it's too thick, the lotion is divine.

on 4/7/2010 4:37:00 PM

I get pretty dry skin in the winter and I don't feel that this stuff is sufficiently moisturizing for me. I normally use body butters from the Body Shop but this was cheaper so I wanted to try it out but I am going back to Body Shop.

on 3/7/2010 12:27:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This is a lotion that delivers in the moisture area. I mean wow, my skin feels supple and moist. I simply adore the smell.
However, it makes my chest and upper arms break out in acne like bumps. I think it's really just KP that's gotten irritated and the pores clogged, because I have KP on my arms no matter what. Too bad, because I really loved the richness of this lotion and seemed like *the perfect night time body lotion.

on 2/26/2010 6:18:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Other

This is my staple body moisturiser. Love the lush smell and the way it makes me skin feel lovely and smooth mmmm....I also think it has lasting effects when used in the evening into the next day, re-applying is somewhat optional. I also like that this comes in a foil sealed tub for freshness. Look out for offers at superdrug in the UK for a bargin ladies, recently bought one for just 3.

ps. this is MUCH better than Palmer's cocoa butter! Despite it's heavenly epic smell it's lasting power&moisturising qualities arent as good as this Vaseline butter.

on 2/21/2010 6:34:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine

This is my HG moisturizer. I do NOT ever like to be without it. It makes my skin soft and delicious and it's not greasy. It smells WONDERFUL. I typically use this everyday after my shower. Since I've found it, I've totally neglected my other body butters, like the Body Shop and Sephora, but I guess I will start to put them back into heavy rotation.

Top Rated Vaseline Products