October 21, 2014 | 922 users online

Sunscreen - Vanicream SPF 60 Sensitive Skin Sunscreen

rated 2 of 5 on 12/11/2011 10:15:00 PM More reviews by horatia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Agree with the others, this sunscreen is best for dry skin. There is no white cast all, its easy to spread. It leaves a shiny finish that takes time to sink in. It works well for my dry skin and I like it. Its in fact the only product so far that's given me a dewy look.

EDIT: Did not work at all in tropical weather. I tanned noticably despite salthering this on and walking around with an oily look.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/27/2011 2:36:00 AM More reviews by darkbloom

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I like this for an everyday physical sunscreen (I prefer to use chemical sunscreen when I spend time in the sun). It is non-irritating and moisturizes my dry skin well (probably not great for oily skin). Most importantly, it works to keep my skin fair. A good choice.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/10/2011 6:34:00 PM More reviews by jessamay

This is my first week using the Vanicream 60 and so far I like it very much though I would say it is best for dry skin. There is almost no white cast but it is very greasy feeling/looking at first. I don't mind so much as my skin drinks it in but if you have oily skin, not sure how this would work. I have been looking for a physical sunscreen for my face that is high on the moisture and this one is (many physical only blockers seem drying). I have not broken out but it has only been a week. I was using a DeVita sunscreen with hyaluronic acid and I loved what it did for my skin except it did not protect against the sun well enough so I had to stop using it. This is less elegant but it works and that is most important.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2011 10:13:00 PM More reviews by avironneur

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

COST: 14-18 USD (depending on source - 2011)

DESCRIPTION: Emollient white cream that does not typically leave a traditional white cast but does leave a shine. This is a good physical sunscreen for drier skins who usually find other physicals too drying.

I find this provides excellent protection in even demanding tropical climates. While not listed as waterproof and prone to beading up under extreme sweat conditions, this product will last through an average length swim or hike without need for reapplication.

This requires average removal (gel or foaming cleanser will suffice) and does not cause eye stinging or redness in my experience.

INGREDIENTS:
Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (7.5%), Zinc Oxide (7.5%)

Inactive Ingredients: Alumina, C12 15 Alkyl Benzoate, Capric/Caprylic Stearic Triglyceride, Cetearyl Isononanoate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate/triethoxycaprylylsilane (Crosspolymer), Methylpropanediol, PEG 12 Dimethicone, PEG 30 Dipolyhydroxystearate, Phenyltrimethicone, Polyethylene, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Water (Purified), Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vitamin C), Stearyl Dimethicone, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Triethoxycaprylylsilane

This is my go-to product in winter and when skin is otherwise irritated

8 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2011 10:07:00 PM More reviews by ashley92504

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I got this product after reading some things here & help from the sc board.

One of the main things that i liked was that this was right at my local walgreens which meant i could try it right away & i have 30 days to return it .

Another reason is that i don't want an avobenzone or oxybenzone ss for my face. I was looking for physical or a combo without those two.

This product doesn't break my face out, it doesn't feel heavy on my skin, & maybe this is just wishful thinking but at the end of the day my skin just feels better.
It doesn't feel heavy or occlusive on my face & i found that it spreads just fine without any tugging. There was no white cast on my skin, but that could be because i am already pale.

Fragrance Free is a thumbs up!

At $18 bucks (regular price) for 4oz, i would say its a good deal for a facial ss.

I remove this with mineral oil at night.

This would be a perfect physical ss product if it wasn't for the SHINE that never goes away :p

update 8/2/11 -> some of the shine goes away when i put my tm/ foundation over it. (it has compatible ss ingredients)

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2011 2:36:00 AM More reviews by strawbit

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Vanicream SPF 60 was prescribed by my dermatologist in line with other products to treat rosacea. She said this is the only sunscreen that would be suitable for my hyper sensitive skin. At first, I didn't like the greasy feeling it leaves me; I have been spoiled by the matte / glowy finish of Japanese sunscreens after all. But I did notice this does not have alcohol in it, and although it is creamier than most sunscreens I've tried, it did not irritate my skin at all. The only solution I found for the greasiness is to put powder on top of it. This method works pretty well until midday when my naturally oily skin starts to oil up -- but that is fine for I blot with blotting papers around this time anyway. Another thing to note is how big the tube is and the price is very reasonable. I have had mine for 5 months now and there is still half of product left. I like that it really protects the skin against sunburn and freckles, etc. A most economical, effective sunblock that I would recommend to sensitive skin types.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/17/2010 3:16:00 PM More reviews by mgonza30

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This sunscreen is fantastic!! A few pros and cons...
Pros: it is a physical sunscreen and doesn't burn your eyes. After using skinceutical UV sport the price of this sunscreen is cheap. I am in the sun an average of 4 hours a day and have not burned or had anymore freckles appear.

Cons: it is quite greasy which is not a prolem for me since I have dry skin and live in the desert.
Love this stuff and will not live with out it.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/25/2010 2:58:00 AM More reviews by sfgal2009

Recently, I had a very bad contact dermatitis and eczema on my face - I looked horrible. Itching like crazy, hives, etc. I even had to get a steroid shot to calm down the reaction.

Needless to say, I needed something that would calm down my red itching skin on my face but something that would still provide me with sun protection because jeez, my skin was virtually raw and would burn in a second.

I found this at my local Walgreens in the pharmacy (I had to ask for it) and I'm so glad I did.

Pros: It's CALMING! For a sunscreen, this is amazing. My red, raw skin actually felt like it was healing and calm when I put it on in the morning. It was also very moisturizing. It also DID NOT clog any of my pores, which is great since I am acne prone on my cheeks.

Cons: It's very greasy. I was embarrassed to wear this to work because it made my face shine so much (but see above - it did not clog my pores at all). SO, I would say that it's great to use at home in the garden or if you're running errands outside and you're not going to be presenting something in front of new clients at work.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/21/2010 12:12:00 AM More reviews by FunnyValentine

Edit: Nope, this is just too oily for me to deal with. I just don't have time to be mixing potions in the morning--I need to get on with my day!

Old review: I think I owe this company an apology ;-). I went from calling this "Vaseline cream" to my near-HG. What I started doing was mixing this with Verdure's mineral sunblock, which is supposedly moisturizing but actually not really on my fickle, dry-in-patches skin. I mix it in equal parts, after I've applied my moisturizer (I'm currently using Avalon Organics' Vit. C oil-free moisturizer). I wait for at least 20 mins for the sunblock mixture to settle in, and then I dust my face with loose powder (Jane Iredale's powder spf). My face is left rather shiny, but I prefer that to the drying matte finish I got from Sofina's ss. I am finally able to walk about without a hat in the summer! Hope this combo helps someone out there!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2010 12:13:00 PM More reviews by heathermrm

This is a preliminary review which I PROMISE to update after usage, but I wanted to record this information now before I lost the email...

I have fair, rather sensitive skin w/ 3 melasma spots and subtype I rosecea (the blush). My dermo told me at a minimum, I must wear spf 15 on my face every day. I have been using Olay Sensitive Skin spf 30 (fragrance free) on my face for the past several months w/ great results/luck.

However, w/ the approaching spring/summer, I want a higher spf and PPD. I have spent hours reading up on SS - a lot of confusing info out there, but I digress.

Dermo recommended 2 different higher spf SS for me - Neutrogena Ultra-Sheer Dry Touch (spf 70 I think) and this Vanicream (spf 60). I am concerned that the Neutrogena's Helioplex may become unstable due to the mineral ingredients in my EM foundation, so I am opting for the Vanicream. However, I could not discern from all the info out there (and my dermo couldn't tell me) what the PPD for this SS is. Therefore, I contacted the parent company and received a sort-of helpful response from the resident chemist/Directof of Product Development, Dr. Akhter. Per his email, this product blocks 99.99% UVB and 90% UVA. He did not give me the specific PPD. I will do some addtl research to see if I can figure out what the 90% UVA blockage translates to as far as PPD and will add accordingly.

For now, just wanted to get the UVA blockage info out there.

03/22/10 - per very helpful gal on the sc board, PPD = 10.

04/14/10 - I have used 1 of my sample tubes up. It is VERY thick, VERY white (duh - look at the ingredients) and I have to rub rather hard to get it to absorb into my skin. I have only used on my chest, arms and neck. It does leave a temporary white cast which eventually (read 10 min) soaks in; the dewy finish takes about 20 minutes to soak in. I don't think I will ever use on my face only because I do not want to rub my face as hard as this product seems to require. I will use up my other sample tube on my body for which I like it were it not for the hard rubbing required.

It is not expensive, IMO, and even tho it appears you can only get online or at a dermo's office, due to the nice spf and PPD, I am uppping my rating to a 4 (taking 1 lippie off for the extra hard rubbing required = not an option for my face)

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No