Monistat - Chafing Relief Powder-Gel

3.9

Active Ingredients: Dimethicone (1.2%) Inactive Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone/ Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Tocopheryl Acetate, Trisiloxane. ---------------------------------------------------- COMPARISON: SmashBox Photo Finish Primer ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Trisiloxane, Silica, Dimethicone/ Vinyldimethicone Crosspolymer, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Extract, Propylene Glycol, Water (Aqua, Eau), Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Cola Acuminata Seed Extract, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract.

on 1/9/2015 5:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

This is the BOMB to use as primer I have used so many brands and have not got as good results as this! & it is so afordable definetly the best!

on 1/7/2015 5:15:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I have oily, acne-prone skin all over my face, and after a few hours the grease kind of smears its way into my eyes and causes it to sting, so an oil-control primer is kind of a big deal for me.

I started off with the Becca Ever-Matte Poreless Primer ($34 at Sephora, ouch!) which is a godsend for oily skin, but wanted to try this cheaper Monistat Chafing Relief Gel ($9 at San Francisco Walgreens) to compare.

---- Shine Control ----

MCRG does an okay job of controlling shine – I apply a thin layer all over my face but still get a little oily after about 3-4 hours and have to blot once during the day, but it's still much better than using nothing. The Becca Primer keeps me matte for at least 7 hours, if not all day.

---- Texture and Feel ----

This is where I really have an issue with the Monistat Gel. The gel goes on wet but dries to a powdery finish, and makes my skin feel kind of dry and raw; almost like snakeskin; it's a little creepy to me. However, this does create a really nice smooth base for my foundation to go on.

Contrast this with the Becca primer: it makes me feel like I have naturally matte skin, as if I were born with drier skin which has zero impulse to produce oil during the day. It's beautiful to touch, just feels like my own skin. But it doesn't fill in the pores and divots of my face; no smooth canvas here, so it's not really a foundation primer. If I really cared, I would use something like Laura Geller's Spackle on top of the Becca primer.

---- Skin health ----

On top of that, this Monistat gel causes redness and whiteheads on my face after one use, and if I don't deep-cleanse thoroughly with my Clarisonic or makeup wipe, then I get little red zits / cysts after a few days of using it. Probably my skin doesn't react well to the Dimethicone. I use a silicone-based foundation too (I seem to be fine with cyclopentasiloxane in the Smashbox Studio Skin Foundation) but maybe the difference is that since the foundation is coloured, I always remember to remove it.

---- Verdict ----

Being so much cheaper than my alternative, I really wanted the Monistat Gel to work for me as an oil-controlling primer, but I have to stick with Becca's Ever-Matte Primer. The Becca primer isn't for everyone – if you have a single dry patch on your skin and accidentally use it there, it will desiccate your skin and you'll probably hate it. But the Monistat Gel makes my skin too sensitive and overall I don't like the feel of it, so I'm going with my gut.

Note: I'm not maliciously trying to downgrade the product's overall rating by giving it 2 lippies, but just want to add more data points for the girls filtering by "Oily skin" who want to know the odds that Monistat gel will work for them.

on 11/23/2014 12:45:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Caused me to breakout and made me even more oily. Guess to each is own!

on 11/16/2014 11:13:00 PM

A DUPE (or better) than Smashbox PhotoFinish. A little bit goes a long way. Helps my makeup stay. Can't imagine wearing makeup without it. I mix a pea-sized amount into moisturizer underneath my makeup.

on 11/10/2014 2:49:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

This didn't do anything to minimise my pores nor did it made my makeup stayed any longer. And I didn't know if I had a bad tube of the Monistat but it was a very runny gel unlike smashbox primer and took forever to set.

on 10/28/2014 10:42:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Warm

Tube is huge and would be nicer if had curve in the dispense. I use it for primer and chalf near my bra line . I can't afford $30 primer and saw youtube people recommend this as primer . I apply my gel than spf I use mineral makeup for none acne day's the body shop mineral powder and moneve mineral powder I have dry skin so don't cake up and last all day. I use tattoo eyeliner brand and elf eyeshadow . It sets shadow of eye makeup. little bit goes long way . I also use bb cream and liquid foundation in maybelline the clean makeup line .don't cake up on my dry skin. I use spf from the makeup itself and light face lotion after it dries use makeup. if you go fast and not wait. will cake less than 20 mins. it last long time so is worth the money. also recommend aloe no alcohol gel as primer .when breaking out . they sell it n walmart or drugstore . Is important don't contain alcohol or else want make skin better but worse . I hope this review helps someone with dry skin or acne prone skin .

on 10/26/2014 6:44:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Going to have to admit, I thought you all were crazy! Then, I was at wal mart and actually saw it for five dollars and some change. I compared to actual primers and it only had a fraction of the ingredients (none of which looked scary like some others), and you get a very good amount of product for the price.

I bought it and brought it home to try out and noticed right away how velvety it felt between my fingers. It doesn't take much but a small drop to matte up your face, you don't even feel it once it quickly dries, and it lasts for hours. Normally, I'm greasy after a couple hours with foundation and/or powder, but I got a good 6 hours before the shine started coming through and even then, it wasn't a complete slick like it would normally be. It was velvety with a hint of shine, and that's all. I should also mention here that because of my oily skin, most primers make me feel like I'm wearing a paint mask after a couple hours but this stuff still felt light and breathable hours later. I took a nap and then went to hang out with friends, and my foundation was still intact when I got home. The cool thing is the package came with a coupon for two dollars off, and I will definitely keep buying this.

on 10/13/2014 3:42:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Okay girls (and guys) everyone's skin is different OBVIOUSLY so this will work for most and not for some just like everything else.

I have VERY sensitive, extremely oily and on top of all of that i break out with almost anything i put on my face.

this somehow works for me. A pea sized amount is all you need. it makes skin feel smooth and a little oil will still come around but just enough to make your skin look "glowing" i used to look like a greasy mess. but with this it holds back about 90% of my oil.

its cheap so its worth a try.

on 10/9/2014 1:58:00 PM

I love this stuff. It makes my makeup stay on all day, it's smooth on the skin, and it's inexpensive. Try Walmart for the best price. I use it all the time, and it's great.

on 9/15/2014 2:05:00 PM

Why would I ever buy Smashbox primer ever again? Pricy primers that have the same, if not more ingredients than this ARE NOT WORTH IT and will not work any better than this, (unless it is a different formula, like dry skin or color correcting). Save yourself $12+ and buy this if you want a silky makeup base.

Popular Primer/ Correctors