October 22, 2014 | 1121 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Monistat - Chafing Relief Powder-Gel

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/31/2014 1:28:00 AM More reviews by shriekingviolet

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Great foundation primer! I'm half way through my first tube, and I can't believe how long it took me to try this product out. I'd seen rec's for this for years, but was put out by the Monistat connection (I know the Anti-Chaffing Gel isn't the same product as the itch or yeast infection treatments, but if I were playing a word association game, the name "Monistat" would always be linked to "vagina"). I'm glad I got over that because this product is fabulous as a no-frills primer. I've tried at least a dozen different primers over the years, including many high end ones like Hourglass's Veil Mineral, Too Faced's Primed and Poreless, and multiple variations of Smashbox's Photo Finish, and this product works as well as any of them for a much lower price.
In my experience, all silicone primers work more or less the same as one another even if the consistency of the primer is different straight out of the package. More often than not, they feel pretty similar to one another on the skin and are indistinguishable from one another after foundation is applied. So to me, the biggest difference between those primers and this one is that this primer (probably by virtue of not actually being marketed as a face primer) doesn't make me a bunch of fancy promises it can't deliver on. It doesn't promise to make my pores disappear, keep my T-zone matte, to tone down my redness, give me special skin care benefits through sunscreen or anti-oxidants (ladies, PLEASE don't rely on your cosmetics for sun protection!), or brighten my complexion. It just provides a smooth canvas for my foundation and keeps my foundation from fading, sliding down my face or sinking into my pores over the course of a day.
Another thing I love about this primer is how easily it blends with other products. If my skin is looking redder and more irritated than usual, I'll mix in some green liquid concealer. If I want more glow, I can mix it with a liquid highlighter like MAC Strobe Liquid or Revlon's Skin lights. You can even mix a tiny bit of it with a powdered product to make a cream/gel shadow or blush. It's quite a talented multitasker!
If you're a regular user of silicone based primers, you really ought to give this product a try. It's not fancy and doesn't deliver life-changing results, but it works well and sells for under $7. Can't beat that!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 7/8/2014 2:31:00 PM More reviews by batyah

My skin is very very oily and I have tried DS and HE primers, and nothing has worked. I tried this and about 5 min after I applied my foundation over it, I literally had white bubbles (sweat) forming on my upper lip and it looked weird! Thank God I was still at home when that happened. This was of no help to me and didn't keep me matte at all.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/19/2014 10:01:00 AM More reviews by KarmaEls

My first primer purchase, I always think it's a waste to invest in primer. Hell no, I was wrong. Best think in the world you could have with ridiculous price. It feel smooth on skin, kinda silicon and powder mixed together. Weird feeling, in a good way. My makeup stays all day. Amazing! I don't have to complain about my foundation gets oxidize or anything. It "locks" it in place, that's how a primer should work
Update: This stuff works, but it does clocks me pores, like crazy. Occasionally using it.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/27/2014 8:15:00 AM More reviews by tan612

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I was very exicited about the product. When I applied it first it was so smooth and silicony. My foundation easily blendable with it. But next day i had some cyst like pimple :(. I thought may be other reason behind it. I wanted to love the product fot its good review. But whenever I used the product some cyst or rash occured within 6/7 hours after use.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2014 12:58:00 PM More reviews by scarletwoundsmile

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Never used a different primer.. They all seem so expensive. This one is great! Good price. Makes a nice and smooth primer for my foundation. Also works well under breasts and between thighs to prevent chafing. HG!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/14/2014 8:49:00 PM More reviews by maelyn28

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have heard that this is the exact same thing as smashbox primer. I dont know for sure but it works the same to me. So smooth and makes your makeup go on flawless. It is such a silky texture. I do find that it clogs my pores so I make sure and cleanse really well after using. Great product for the price. Works well for its intended use too. I like to wear it on the inside of my legs when wearing a dress so I dont get raw if walking for a long time

rated 4 of 5 on 5/14/2014 12:21:00 PM More reviews by tiffybabyxoxo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

this product is fantasticcccc. I got suckered into spending $10 on it at a CVS.. but if you can find it for cheaper- please, do tell!

This applies SO smoothly without flaking or completely disappearing from the skin. I have dry skin and this made my foundation glide on like silk... excellent!

Products like this do increase lasting power of makeup and provide a smooth base as a canvas. I would definitely recommend it!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/7/2014 11:53:00 AM More reviews by sage4dylan

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Just bought this and I love it. My makeup looks 10 times better with this on. Its not greasy at all and I have oily skin at times with certain make up but not with this. It was 6$ and well worth it. Makeup stays in place, doesnt transfer. Love it.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/23/2014 11:33:00 PM More reviews by skitles78

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have very oily skin and was in need of an inexpensive primer that would help my makeup stay in place throughout the day. I read the reviews for it, and while they were very good, I noticed a few cautioning that this creates cystic acne. I ignored the reviews because I wasn't sure if it would break me out. But sadly it did. I got cystic acne on my cheeks right after using it for only one day. But if you don't have acne prone skin I feel that this would be a great option because it really made makeup application easy because my skin was sooo smooth and also my makeup did last long. BUT ACNE PRONE SKIN STEER CLEAR

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2014 2:26:00 PM More reviews by vixnkitten

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been using Monistat Chafing Relief powder gel as a makeup primer for a few years now. I had stumbled upon it while watching youtube videos by several makeup gurus. I am amazed at how much this stuff is like all of the high end primers (MAC, Smashbox, BE, ELF - but that's cheap, LORAC, etc) that I have used. It is uber cheap, especially if you go to Monistat's website first and download a coupon for it before heading over to Walmart to buy it. Seriously, this gel makes my skin smooth and even and allows me to have a perfect application every time. I put the gel on, then apply my liquid foundation with a flat top kabuki brush and then apply powder over that. It is amazing. I don't think I will EVER use a high end primer again. This stuff is HG status for me!!! Can't beat the price OR the quality!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No