April 16, 2014 | 965 users online

Fragrances - Calvin Klein - Obsession

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2013 2:46:00 PM More reviews by gmstrack

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

When I was a teenager, the idea of wearing perfume seemed ridiculous; only bimbos and old ladies would spritz themselves down with “embalming fluid”. I was too busy wearing black, listening to counter culture music (whatever that is), and pretending to not care. Needless to say, I never wore any of the classic fragrances from the late 80s/ mid 90s. Recently, I purchased a bottle of designer juice at the local small town drug store, and hoped for the best. Wow. Obsession is a first-rate production, complete with an eclectic cast of characters. The opening is abrasive with an icky soapy-green burst that makes one wonder why Obsession is classified as a spicy oriental. On the skin, it begins to unfold chaotically, leaving a trace of (almost off-putting) powder. Next, a cute and fuzzy animalic note (civet) politely says hello, instead of throwing a Bal a Versailles middle finger. Slowly, the green-forest-creature-powder begins to expose amber and spices and after about 30 minutes the premise that this is not a spicy oriental turns on its head. This is the spicy oriental. Incense, vanilla, sandalwood, and spices are now the main actors, while the rest of the cast quietly scampers on and off the stage as supporting characters.

In an attempt to understand Obsession, I applied it to one side of my body and Ambre Sultan to the other. At first, the bombastic Serge Lutens seduced me with delicious sweaty-sweetness, which made Obsession seem like a powdery mess. But, as time progressed it was clear that Ambre Sultan simply turned down the volume, while Obsession told me a story. In fact, I would go as far as to say Ambre Sultan could be a stand-in for one of Obsession’s actors.

When I wear Obsession I tend to pair it with a cotton T-shirt and dark eye make-up—the teenager in me definitely approves!

Tenacity: 5/5
Sillage: 5/5
Overall: 5/5 (Ambre Sultan 4/5)

10 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2013 10:35:00 PM More reviews by twinkle70

I love this perfume. It's soft, feminine, comforting, sexy. It's not sharp, screechy or toothache-inducing. It's an original scent and timeless in nature. It was great back in the 80's (albeit the formulation was MUCH stronger then). Coty Prestige has since taken over the production of this fragrance, and in doing so, has updated it. By that, I mean they have been loyal to the scent by keeping it delicious, but the strength is not a hammer over your head. The sillage is moderate. The lasting power is pleasantly long. I never feel ripped off. There is nothing worse than plunking down a bunch of cash for a perfume that can't be detected by you or anyone else after 2 minutes of having it on..... Don't let the 80's reputation of this scent shy you away. I have migraines and sinus allergies - THIS DOES NOT BOTHER ME AT ALL...... SO - If you like mellow citrusy top notes with a woodsy, powdery, incense kind of dry-down that is hypnotic ... dare i say magical - look no further.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2013 2:21:00 AM More reviews by staci01

A woman at the place I work wears this and every time she walks by I always think she smells amazing. One day I ran after her to ask what that amazing frag she was wearing and turns out it was this. NOT AT ALL the Obsession I'm used to smelling on other people, good body chemistry I guess. This past Christmas my SO bought a bottle for me per my request and upon first spritz I was transported to my middle school/early highschool days when an ad with a scent strip seemed to be in every issue of Seventeen, Mademoiselle, and Sassy. I can't say that I was happy about this as those years were miserable for me and scent has that amazing ability to transport one back in time so quickly. When I first applied this it smelled a lot plasticky and I was really concerned as I knew that the frag had changed hands and had been messed with (some investigation told me I was correct). I suffered through the day feeling like I'd wasted money but thankful it wasn't much since the bottle was so tiny. Then at the end of the day I checked my wrist again and was pleasantly surprised to see that the plastic note was gone and I could smell a lovely bouquet of spices, vanilla and warmth. Now THIS is what I was smelling as the co-worker walked by. Now the question is whether I can suffer through the day smelling like weird plastic to get to the good stuff at the end of the day? I think I can but I won't be wearing this often because of that fact. Something I learned accidentally was that if I put my wrist under running warm water I can get fragrances to wear down to the base notes on my skin. Yes, it is a waste of fragrance but really it saves the sanity of my nostrils and mind. So it's a nice cozy fragrance but I won't be buying another bottle unless I can get my hands on a vintage 80s bottle.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/20/2012 11:42:00 PM More reviews by Lilosette

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

The ampimathy of Style. Love the Color the color of the
sunset. thats when the
real action starts the notes incense vanilla
spices & woods
brings out the enticipation waiting
passion is in the air and having one
hot passionate love with your lover
this is the perfume for you.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2012 5:27:00 AM More reviews by Kysyona

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

My heart skipped a beat as I sniffed it again at a local drugstore: ah, memories... I always seem to tie the fragrances I wear to the memories linked to those times, so I have been always using scents as a mindmap, and this one leads me back to a stormy irish winter spent in Cork once upon a life, full of misty enigma-filled early mornings ( there's something almost supernatural about that time of the day at that time of the year in Ireland, I swear), soul-searching afternoons and heartbreaking love stories. This fragrance is not for someone who is enjoying an easy ride: it's a fighter scent, with a butch quality in it wonderously blended with the quintessential animalistic sensuality: wearing Obsession is like turning up on lover's doorstep wearing a rough wool coat over a stark naked body - that's exactly how nerve-wrecking and arousing this is: by being so rough it makes one feel extremely fragile under it!! Wool biting at the skin, whiskey unfolding its warmth in your mouth, fighting for the last square of bitter chocolate with best friends while cosying up in front of a fireplace, bone-chilling winds roaring outside almost sweeping stranded passers-by off their feet - that's the direction in which my emotions take flight when I sniff it. Amber, pine, moss, almonds all thrown into the pot and given a rough shake. After the drydown it does settle into a calm dense aura, but you smell it and just know that the storm is coming, because it has so much promise in it! Very unique - not like Opium at all, way more sensual and feminine imo. Alas, the plastic cap looks rather cheap, the bottle itself is sleek and rather masculine. Since there's very little sugar there it is probably appropriate and suits those rough qualities of the contents. When it comes to the name - it happened to have translated quite literally into my life: fell for a guy from work head over heals while wearing this, felt an almost compelling pull towards him, and it took me more that a year to shake off the spell, especially after I had a cold chill running down my spine when I saw a bottle of Obsession for men sitting on his bathroom shelf and thought: wow, talk about living up to the name of the perfume you've chosen...

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 9/12/2012 2:08:00 AM More reviews by Pyrettablazed

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Obsession = instant headache. I don't think it smells bad so to speak, just TOO MUCH.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/9/2012 4:18:00 PM More reviews by gingersnap250

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

Calvin Klein's Obsession does remind me of the 80s, I must admit. My mom gave this one to me, because she knows I love having quite a perfume collection. It does have its own distinctive scent, which to (amateur in talking about perfumes) is a very warm, almost overtly sexual, gourmand fragrance. If I just use one spray, it lasts for a long time and really isn't too off-putting. However, any more than that, I can see that this would be incredibly cloying. It's definitely more of a wintry type scent. Not really my thing, but nonetheless, it will retain its place on my shelf, at least for now.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2012 3:18:00 PM More reviews by ilovesmellythings

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I bought the newer formualtion 2011 ...don't believe all the hype surrounding the past ones! Really if you can get a current one from a reputable retailer. Anyways, this is a lovely vanilla/ smoke/ powder mix which opens with a green pine-ish note. That last one sounds horrific but it's really not that bad in the mix (looked it up - that green note is oakmoss).

A lovely cooler weather/ night time fragrance. Really cozy seductive. I can see how it was abused in the eighties though. One spray people! then rub around where ever (that thing about bruising fragrance is a myth - you cannot alter it's make up in any way!)

Men seem to like it too and nowadays not many people under 25 are wearing it score! Not at all overly sweet, gourmand in a staright from the kitchen pantry way with the vanilla blending beautifully with the musk Sexaaaay!!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/12/2012 10:50:00 PM More reviews by Shanplum

A super hot fragrance - by that I mean it shares a similar top note which I also find present in Giorgio Red, Toujours Moi and Christian Dior's Farenheit for men - its a warm almost estinguished candle note which reminds me of when a match has just been lit then blown out - this sounds weird but I love this smell and it is very sexy. This is a warm, sultry fragrance which will wear the owner if it doesn't suit their chemistry. On me it is a warm spicy number with an almost dried ginger type quality - though not in the christmas/festive season type of spice as there is no cinnamon/clove on my skin which stops it smelling like dentistry or a christmas pudding. It has a slight burnt caramel undertone and the citrus is more of an oriental mandarin than lemon (I cannot wear citruses as a rule) and dries down to a warm powdery incense in the style of Avon Imari but more oomph. Yes this does smell a tad dated - like an 80s jacket you just pulled out of the closet but in a good way a very original and beautiful perfume.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/27/2012 1:31:00 AM More reviews by Shadow_Witch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I still have my original kidney-shaped edp splash bottle from 1986. I also just received a recent 15ml edp. There is a slight difference and I mean so slight, it's negligible. The new formulation is lacking that distinctive stale note in the original. I don't miss it. The current formulation is fabulous and worthy of love. I've been wearing Obsession for 26 years and I still love it. Applied with a light hand it is absolutely bewitching.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No