Calvin Klein Obsession

3.6

on 11/30/2013 2:10:00 AM

I am an educated 57 year old southern lady who found the ads for Obsession so annoying that I avoided smelling or sampling it til TODAY! Damn, This stuff is to die for gorgeous, rich , feminine and SEXY. Best yet , the price is reasonable and the fragrance lasts all day and then some. I still am turned off by the cheesy ads, but this fragrance is undeniably powerful in a head turning way .

I am sniffing what I sampled earlier today , which has not faded in ten hours. Tomorrow I will march back and buy a bottle .I am a fan of classy orientals like Coco , Opium, and Euphoria , which are timeless classics. Euphoria , another Calvin Klein , is a fragrance that yields endless compliments , projects well, and lasts and lasts in a sultry way also. This one has a vanilla and musk vibe that is perfect and SOPHISTICATED.

Euphoria and Obsession are fabulous buys for the money !

on 9/27/2013 2:52:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This fragrance has got to be one of my all time favourite. I'm in love and I'll continue to purchase as long as it's available. I buy the older version the cap with the gold band as the later version all brown see through cap is a vile concoction not to my taste. The original is warm heady golden musky goodness. A couple of sprays will last you all day testament to the quality of obsession. Try to get your hands on an older version mainly available on eBay and give it a whirl. I wonder if you too will develop an obsession just like me :)

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

First whiff-adoration! No matter what others say, I will always love this perfume. I truly believe all the hype and commercialization has turned people off through the years and that is a true shame. It's a beautiful fragrance that should not be taken lightly.
A warm, powdery, sweet scent with amber laden spices surrounding and tickling your nose. Creaminess abounds throughout the different layers and surround your olfactory senses constantly.
Vanilla, peach, citrus and basil are what I get in the top notes, spices, oakmoss and cedar in the middle, and amber, musk, civet, incense and vetiver in the base. This is such a complicated fragrance and that's the reason I delight in it.
Obsession gives me an image of leather riding boots, cable knit winter white sweaters over well-worn Levis, cozy comfortable clothing, a pashmina scarf tossed casually around my neck. It has a hint of masculinity, yes, very definitely. It appeals to the yin and yang of our souls. Forget the commercials and what the media has told you. Spray it again on a vulnerable spot and luxuriate in yourself. You'll be glad you tried it again. It's a sensual fragrance that awakens your inner self.
Although it seems more of a night-time fragrance based in the cooler months, I love wearing it year-round. It's mystique and scent is just that delicious.
It's rather long-lasting, more than 6 hours on me. It's sillage radiates also beyond yourself depending on how much you spray, so be careful. One spray is more than enough.
Top Notes: Green Notes, Mandarin Orange, Vanilla, Basil, Peach, Bergamot, Lemon.
Middle Notes: Spices, Coriander, Sandalwood, Orange Blossom, Oakmoss, Cedar, Rose, Jasmine.
Base Notes: Musk, Civet, Vanilla, Amber, Vetiver, Incense.

on 6/15/2013 11:12:00 PM

I had the original Obsession as a teenager in the 1980s. I can tell you that this version you get in Sephora these days is truly crap. There are no other words for it. The only time Obsession these days , smells remotely like the 5 star Obsession I knew is when smelling it on the sprayer and perhaps for a couple of seconds on skin. It then becomes a parody of itself. It smells like cheap ,horrible plastic crap. very bad. It's not worth the price. very disappointing.The original Obsession was a fantastic fragrance with depth and longevity and presence, character.

on 5/22/2013 6:06:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I got a set of Calvin Klein minis and they where all generic and boring! This one in particular was rank! I gave it away

I have never owned a vintage bottle but as far as the "new" formulation goes, I approve!! I applied this at 9am and it is now nearly 8pm and this has left a wonderful musky/vanilla/amber softness to my skin. I purchased this mini bottle for about $15 at Target I think, if you are looking for a scent that lasts all day, this is an incredible value and the tiny bottle should last you quite awhile since you really don't need more than a few drops.

Upon first spray, I get a sense of something woodsy,balmy and green, oakmoss perhaps? Honestly, it smells very similar to a man's aftershave, there is nothing ladylike/girlie about this scent. Then the civet and spices and amber kick in like WHOA. If you happened to over-spray you will regret it big time in about an hour. It gets very sweet but not bakery vanilla sweet...I can't really explain it. It's like a heavy amber honey syrup infused with exotic spices. Despite it's sweetness, I feel this is actually a unisex scent.

I have been wearing this to work and loving it. Not sure if I would wear it on a date though...on one hand, it is very sweet but it's also dirty/primal and very unisex, This is kind of like Tabu and Opium and some of the other vintage powerhouses that scream SEX...men either love it and will ravish you or they will say you "smell like their mom" or ask "where you with another man tonight?"

My skin/chemistry eats perfume, 99% of body sprays and light floral/aquatic scents are wasted on me. This stuff is a keeper in my book.

on 2/2/2013 2:46:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

When I was a teenager, the idea of wearing perfume seemed ridiculous; only bimbos and old ladies would spritz themselves down with “embalming fluid”. I was too busy wearing black, listening to counter culture music (whatever that is), and pretending to not care. Needless to say, I never wore any of the classic fragrances from the late 80s/ mid 90s. Recently, I purchased a bottle of designer juice at the local small town drug store, and hoped for the best. Wow. Obsession is a first-rate production, complete with an eclectic cast of characters. The opening is abrasive with an icky soapy-green burst that makes one wonder why Obsession is classified as a spicy oriental. On the skin, it begins to unfold chaotically, leaving a trace of (almost off-putting) powder. Next, a cute and fuzzy animalic note (civet) politely says hello, instead of throwing a Bal a Versailles middle finger. Slowly, the green-forest-creature-powder begins to expose amber and spices and after about 30 minutes the premise that this is not a spicy oriental turns on its head. This is the spicy oriental. Incense, vanilla, sandalwood, and spices are now the main actors, while the rest of the cast quietly scampers on and off the stage as supporting characters.

In an attempt to understand Obsession, I applied it to one side of my body and Ambre Sultan to the other. At first, the bombastic Serge Lutens seduced me with delicious sweaty-sweetness, which made Obsession seem like a powdery mess. But, as time progressed it was clear that Ambre Sultan simply turned down the volume, while Obsession told me a story. In fact, I would go as far as to say Ambre Sultan could be a stand-in for one of Obsession’s actors.

When I wear Obsession I tend to pair it with a cotton T-shirt and dark eye make-up—the teenager in me definitely approves!

Tenacity: 5/5
Sillage: 5/5
Overall: 5/5 (Ambre Sultan 4/5)

on 1/25/2013 10:35:00 PM

I love this perfume. It's soft, feminine, comforting, sexy. It's not sharp, screechy or toothache-inducing. It's an original scent and timeless in nature. It was great back in the 80's (albeit the formulation was MUCH stronger then). Coty Prestige has since taken over the production of this fragrance, and in doing so, has updated it. By that, I mean they have been loyal to the scent by keeping it delicious, but the strength is not a hammer over your head. The sillage is moderate. The lasting power is pleasantly long. I never feel ripped off. There is nothing worse than plunking down a bunch of cash for a perfume that can't be detected by you or anyone else after 2 minutes of having it on..... Don't let the 80's reputation of this scent shy you away. I have migraines and sinus allergies - THIS DOES NOT BOTHER ME AT ALL...... SO - If you like mellow citrusy top notes with a woodsy, powdery, incense kind of dry-down that is hypnotic ... dare i say magical - look no further.

on 1/8/2013 2:21:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

A woman at the place I work wears this and every time she walks by I always think she smells amazing. One day I ran after her to ask what that amazing frag she was wearing and turns out it was this. NOT AT ALL the Obsession I'm used to smelling on other people, good body chemistry I guess. This past Christmas my SO bought a bottle for me per my request and upon first spritz I was transported to my middle school/early highschool days when an ad with a scent strip seemed to be in every issue of Seventeen, Mademoiselle, and Sassy. I can't say that I was happy about this as those years were miserable for me and scent has that amazing ability to transport one back in time so quickly. When I first applied this it smelled very plastic-y and I was really concerned as I knew that the frag had changed hands and had been messed with (some investigation told me I was correct). I suffered through the day feeling like I'd wasted money but thankful it wasn't much since the bottle was so tiny. Then at the end of the day I checked my wrist again and was pleasantly surprised to see that the plastic note was gone and I could smell a lovely bouquet of spices, vanilla and warmth. Cinnamon, coriander and vanilla all very warm and soothing!Now THIS is what I was smelling as the co-worker walked by. Now the question is whether I can suffer through the day smelling like weird plastic to get to the good stuff at the end of the day? I think I can but I won't be wearing this often because of that fact. Something I learned accidentally was that if I put my wrist under running warm water I can get fragrances to wear down to the base notes on my skin. Yes, it is a waste of fragrance but really it saves the sanity of my nostrils and mind. So it's a nice cozy fragrance but I won't be buying another bottle unless I can get my hands on a vintage 80s bottle.

on 10/20/2012 11:42:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

The ampimathy of Style. Love the Color the color of the
sunset. thats when the
real action starts the notes incense vanilla
spices & woods
brings out the enticipation waiting
passion is in the air and having one
hot passionate love with your lover
this is the perfume for you.

Popular Fragrances