Biotin (All brands)

3.5

on 1/13/2015 6:45:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I took biotin for 2 months. I would take one 1000mcg tablet 3x per day (one with each meal). I have adult hormonal acne, and biotin did not affect my skin. I didn't notice any immediate results, so I stopped taking it. About 2 1/2 - 3 months later, I noticed my fingernails were growing longer and thicker. I used to have thin nails that split/cracked easily. Now they are beautiful. I will definitely start taking the biotin again because it helps my fingernails A LOT!

on 12/30/2014 10:05:00 PM

I used several brands, thinking maybe the brand wasn't that great. I was wrong. Biotin and me just don't mix well.

First, I experienced triple the breakouts. I already have acne prone skin so you can imagine having that tripled. HORRIBLE! I decided to wait thinking it'll get better. I read online that you're supposed to drink a ton of water to not break out. I drank a ton of water, but was still breaking out. After a month or two, my breakouts were not as bad but still. As someone who already had acne, having more acne (even if its just a few) is a huge deal to me.

To make things worse, my hair, nails, and skin, did not improve. Everything was pretty much the exact same.

I'd say try it, it may work for you!

on 12/30/2014 10:40:00 AM

I am currently taking Biotin both in a Hair/Nail gummy vitamin and in a Women's Multi-vitamin gummy. So I guess you could say I am getting a double-dose. I am also currently taking Ovega (vegetarian Omega supplement), a vegetarian gentle Iron supplement, Reserveage collagen, and flax capsules. This is all to help my poor hair that was dramatically damaged by a salon owner back in April. I think my vitamin regime is helping, but obviously I can't say WHICH part of it is helping. I can say, I am extremely acne prone and have been for over 20 years, and the biotin in these gummy vitamins is NOT breaking me out. My hair is definitely in better condition, but it has taken a long while. It is longer, thicker, sheds slightly less, and overall looks healthier and less frizzy/ damaged. I also drink a ton of water plus protein shakes twice a day. I've also almost completely eliminated heat styling, spend a fortune on different shampoos and conditioners, and wash my hair only every other day. I'm doing everything I can to nurse my hair back to health, but in the end, I think TIME is what is going to heal it most. I plan to continue taking my biotin and other supplements, because I certainly don't think they are hurting anything, but in the end, I think it's just time that will improve my hair.

on 12/30/2014 9:33:00 AM

I've been taking biotin for two months now (1.000 mcg capsules by solgar). First I started with one capsule a day (i was afraid of acne breakouts) and after three weeks with no ugly sideffects I doubled the dose. I can see big difference in my hair structure. it used to be extremly thin and now it is basically doubled in volume. It also grows fasetr than usual, but my main goal was the volume, not the length so i don't pay much attention to it :)
Everybody notices how my hair is shiny and looking very healthy. I will definitely continue to use the capsules, and i will boost my dosage to 3.000 mcg a day.
I believe your drastic breakouts occure because you take too high doses and basically shock your skin. Start slowly and work your way up to the satisfactory dose.
You still get your results with lower dosages, it just takes a bit more time (but worth it, since your skin does not go zombie style).

on 12/22/2014 9:55:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

No change in my hair.

on 11/11/2014 6:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Biotin gave me the breakout from hell, and no change with my hair. Use with caution.

on 11/8/2014 6:44:00 PM

I use the 10,000mcg Biotin capsules, and I do see a difference in my hair, eyelashes, and eyebrows. I'm prone to breakouts, with combination skin, and have had no breakouts since starting this vitamin.

on 11/3/2014 9:43:00 PM

My poor face! My hair is thin and lifeless so I tried biotin with disastrous results. I broke out immediately and the acne just kept getting worse. Not a good look for my 33 yr old skin.. People were asking me if I was a teen. It was that bad! It did help my hair but at what cost ? So my face looks awful and I have good hair? No thanks!! My face is still recovering from the acne marks.. I will never again use biotin.

on 10/28/2014 7:30:00 PM

In a nutshell, Biotin makes me breakout like crazy (it starts slow and gets severe within a few weeks), does nothing for my nails (a good quality fish oil and zinc, on the other hand...), and the only hair that it seems to help grow is the hair on my upper lip. Beware. It is also known as vitamin B7, and is found in B-complex supplements.

Other supplements to try first for your Hair, Skin and Nail health:
Now Foods Ultra Omega-3 (I recommend this one in particular because it's inexpensive, potent, and rates high for purity)
MSM
Zinc Picolinate
A+D (from cod liver oil, benefits skin)
Borage Oil

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I've been taking biotin (the CVS brand); 5000 mcg daily (once or twice I took two capsules) for a little over a week now. So far, I haven't noticed any difference in skin or hair (but it's probably a little too soon to notice a difference). However, I have not gotten any acne. I'm thinking if I don't get a bump with the upcoming week, I should be in the clear. Maybe because I'm just not acne prone or because of the other supplements I'm taking. Here is my routine of supplements: vitamin E, vitamin C, fish oil and collagen (which I just started taking a few days ago).

I drink, on average about 3-4 16.9oz bottles of water a day, which is a little under the recommended amount but I've got to leave room for a soda and a cocktails on weekends...lol. I'm 41 yrs old and in pretty decent health.

I'm hoping to strengthen my hair in order to encourage a little thickness and growth. My youngest sister has been taking both biotin and collagen since January 27th and OMG...has her hair grown in length and has gotten so thick. Our own mother thought she added hair extensions. Needless to say, me, my mom and two other sisters have started this same regiment. I'll update this post as time progresses for us all.

Popular Treatments