August 21, 2014 | 1981 users online

Treatments - Biotin (All brands)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2014 3:00:00 PM More reviews by BriddaBella

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this product, because my hair is naturally really thin and I heard that taking Biotin tablets would help them to grow thicker. So I bought the maximum strength ones on amazon. I bought enough for 6 months and I was hoping that this would help strengthen and thicken my hair. By the way I don't dye my hair nor do I use any heat tools on my hair, so my hair is quite healthy.

After using Biotin for 6 months, I haven't noticed any difference. My hair was still thin as usual and I did not find that it made any difference on my nails either.

However it did make my hair grow really fast. I think within 3 months my hair grew 3-4 inches.
I'm not sure if it make my nails grow faster too though.

I won't be repurchasing it, but I do think it's worth a try. Maybe it'll work better for you.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/3/2014 1:49:00 PM More reviews by allieamat

Over the last year I have been wearing tight ponytails and my hair towards the front started thinning. I purchased biotin about 2 weeks ago at walgreens and religiously took a pill daily and 14 days later my problem area is full of hair. My baby hairs have grown an inch, which is a miracle in this short time period. Not to mention, I do have acne history, and this did not break me out!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/23/2014 10:41:00 PM More reviews by happysunshinerainbowkitty

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This stuff made me Breakout :/

rated 5 of 5 on 6/16/2014 11:49:00 AM More reviews by jd1980

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've been using Eu Natural Biotin 5000 mcg from Amazon since the start of the year and it works. My nails haven't been this strong in years and hair has been growing much quicker. Highly recommended you get this brand also since they use pure Biotin.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/25/2014 9:07:00 PM More reviews by koreenicole

I've used biotin for about a year now. My nails feel stronger, but they're such a helpless case. They still break. I don't know if it has effected my hair or not. My ends are WAY softer than they used to be. They were so dry it was gross, but now they're soft. Not sure if it's from the biotin or my conditioner. My skin is as clear as crystal! I figured it was my face wash, but I got busy for a few weeks and forgot to take biotin each morning. My acne broke out horribly. I went back on biotin and my skin cleared up super fast. Would recommend

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2014 12:29:00 PM More reviews by AngieGCarp

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Wow! I was expecting this to be a disaster when I began taking 10000 mg of Biotin. I was extremely worried about skin issues but I have had no problems whatsoever. What I have experienced is my eyebrows are coming back (even my daughter said something to me about it) and my usually splitting, peeling nails are as strong as an ox! I wish it was helping me grow back some of my head hair that I have lost over the past couple of years that I thought was medicine related but I think now is hereditary but I am pleased with what I AM getting. My eyebrows have been an embarrassment to me for a long time because of the amount of drawing in I had to do and every time I put on makeup it seems to take me less and less time. I think barring no skin incidents I will stay on the biotin because I like the results. I have been taking it about a month now. I wish I could advocate it though but with people having such bad skin results I am reserved but if you are willing to chance it I say go for it!

p.s. I will say for reference I am not acne prone and use products to combat acne even though I don't have it so that might help you.

Happy Makeuping!❤️

Edit: I have noticed since I changed brands of my biotin that I have had a few more pimples than normal but I have to say that since it is summer I have been a little more oily than normal. I have been using self tanner on my face and less of my acne preventing routine. It is nothing like what these girls are talking about but I thought I would mention it. Basically, my point is...keep up your skin care routine...even amp it up a little if you believe you are having biotin related breakout.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2014 3:25:00 PM More reviews by raquel36

Biotin works. The key is the amount. A lot of multivitamins only have 300 mcg. It only works for me if I'm taking between 3000 and 5000

rated 5 of 5 on 4/30/2014 12:33:00 AM More reviews by Adi96

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Other, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

To all who are reading all the mixed reviews about this wonderful product, hear me out. This product is AMAZING. Seriously. It strengthens your hair, nails, AND even benefits the skin. However, here is the catch. I strongly suggest that anyone who does not seek medical advice prior to starting a biotin regimen take only 300 mcg of biotin a day. Also, biotin works in conjunction with other vitamins and minerals such as zinc. If you intake enough zinc along with it, you will have great results. I initially did have acne/cystic acne as a result of misusing biotin, however, after researching and discussing the matter with dermatologists, I now am having great results with it :) If you are willing to change your diet or incorporate zinc into your vitamin regimen, then get ready for stronger, healthy hair, nails and skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2014 11:20:00 AM More reviews by Berniemdosi

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have read a lot of reviews in regard to biotin and here is my honest opinion. I am currently on Natrol Biotin 10mg. The reason I am taking this supplement is that I want to have natural long hair as you know men tend to loose their hair with age to an extend of balding.
The first two weeks have been amazing and results so tremendous! Before I started using this product, I could see a few graying strands. After the said time in question; I can literally see the gray bit extended and black strand to the scalp! meaning no more grey hair.

Secondly, Taking biotin has incredibly enhanced my digestion and no more blotted feeling. there is the tendency to feel thirsty hence more water intake. My energy level is second to none. I feel strong and my appetite has improved. My digestion system has improved so well that I feel me once more.

With my body full of energy, my sleep has just gotten better. About the nails I can say they are much stronger and no more chipping off.

So to those complaining of acne, my advice to them is to try and get enough rest. Take fluids not necessarily water and remember energy not put to use is could cause irritation and that may trigger skin conditions not to mention acne.

But remember to oil your scalp adequately with a good quality hair oil. personally I use castor oil from authentic oil co.

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2014 4:08:00 PM More reviews by missmelodya

so i took biotin (in a multivitamin - only 100% RDA) for over 3 years. in those 3 years, i thought the culprit for my cystic acne was the mini pill. while i'm sure the mini pill did not help things, it was last week when i was informed BIOTIN was causing my cystic acne! this was news to me.

biotin caused my heart rate to increase dramatically - pretty incredible considering i am a non-smoking, incredibly fit (exercise daily) person. it triggered severe panic attacks off the back of heart palpitations - i really thought i was going to die. in speaking with my doctor about this last week (after blowing into his office without an appointment convinced i was having a heart attack) i was informed this is not an unusual side effect (among many others apparently) and instructed to discontinue use immediately. have been bedridden for days recovering from the coronary stress biotin use caused. do not even get me started on the migraines. if you have a history of heart disease in your family and/or are prone to migraines, do not take this stuff. it is not worth the risk.

my face is still going through it, it looks like it is starting to clear up now but a few cysts are coming to the surface. not sure if this is the skin "purging" below the skin cysts caused by 3+ years of daily biotin use, but i've already noticed my skin looking younger since quitting. i swear to yall this stuff aged my skin, and all this time i thought it was progesterone. my dark undereye circles are becoming much less prominent and my limbs no longer tingle at whim.

people will say "you need to drink more water!" well, according to medical professionals, no amount of water consumption makes biotin universally safe for everyone to use, at any microgram amount. while i do not negate biotin works for some people, it is not a cure-all for everyone. in fact, for some, it does far more harm than good.

on the plus side, it did cause my hair to grow incredibly fast. 4 inches of new growth in less than 3 months. my hairdresser was shocked. sadly biotin made absolutely no difference whatsoever to my nails, i do wish i'd gotten that benefit from it as others have.

if you intend to take biotin and have a history of migraines, heart disease, stroke, TIAs, heart attacks, heart murmur, or any coronary issues at all in your family, please speak with your doctor before use. i wish i had.

ETA: to those who have downvoted my review, i can only assume you've done this because you disagree with what i have posted about biotin. my review is fair, expressing both positives and negatives based on my personal experience, and even provides verified medical information from actual medical professionals for others who have a history of heart/coronary issues in their lives/family. i realise the content of my review may not be popular amongst the sea of rave reviews but i only posted all of this to tell others with similar health concerns to be mindful and speak to their doctor before taking biotin, as there are no warnings on the labels of these products.

19 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No