Biotin (All brands)

3.5

on 12/30/2014 9:33:00 AM

I've been taking biotin for two months now (1.000 mcg capsules by solgar). First I started with one capsule a day (i was afraid of acne breakouts) and after three weeks with no ugly sideffects I doubled the dose. I can see big difference in my hair structure. it used to be extremly thin and now it is basically doubled in volume. It also grows fasetr than usual, but my main goal was the volume, not the length so i don't pay much attention to it :)
Everybody notices how my hair is shiny and looking very healthy. I will definitely continue to use the capsules, and i will boost my dosage to 3.000 mcg a day.
I believe your drastic breakouts occure because you take too high doses and basically shock your skin. Start slowly and work your way up to the satisfactory dose.
You still get your results with lower dosages, it just takes a bit more time (but worth it, since your skin does not go zombie style).

on 12/22/2014 9:55:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

No change in my hair.

on 11/11/2014 6:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Biotin gave me the breakout from hell, and no change with my hair. Use with caution.

on 11/8/2014 6:44:00 PM

I use the 10,000mcg Biotin capsules, and I do see a difference in my hair, eyelashes, and eyebrows. I'm prone to breakouts, with combination skin, and have had no breakouts since starting this vitamin.

on 11/3/2014 9:43:00 PM

My poor face! My hair is thin and lifeless so I tried biotin with disastrous results. I broke out immediately and the acne just kept getting worse. Not a good look for my 33 yr old skin.. People were asking me if I was a teen. It was that bad! It did help my hair but at what cost ? So my face looks awful and I have good hair? No thanks!! My face is still recovering from the acne marks.. I will never again use biotin.

on 10/28/2014 7:30:00 PM

In a nutshell, Biotin makes me breakout like crazy (it starts slow and gets severe within a few weeks), does nothing for my nails (a good quality fish oil and zinc, on the other hand...), and the only hair that it seems to help grow is the hair on my upper lip. Beware. It is also known as vitamin B7, and is found in B-complex supplements.

Other supplements to try first for your Hair, Skin and Nail health:
Now Foods Ultra Omega-3 (I recommend this one in particular because it's inexpensive, potent, and rates high for purity)
MSM
Zinc Picolinate
A+D (from cod liver oil, benefits skin)
Borage Oil

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I've been taking biotin (the CVS brand); 5000 mcg daily (once or twice I took two capsules) for a little over a week now. So far, I haven't noticed any difference in skin or hair (but it's probably a little too soon to notice a difference). However, I have not gotten any acne. I'm thinking if I don't get a bump with the upcoming week, I should be in the clear. Maybe because I'm just not acne prone or because of the other supplements I'm taking. Here is my routine of supplements: vitamin E, vitamin C, fish oil and collagen (which I just started taking a few days ago).

I drink, on average about 3-4 16.9oz bottles of water a day, which is a little under the recommended amount but I've got to leave room for a soda and a cocktails on weekends...lol. I'm 41 yrs old and in pretty decent health.

I'm hoping to strengthen my hair in order to encourage a little thickness and growth. My youngest sister has been taking both biotin and collagen since January 27th and OMG...has her hair grown in length and has gotten so thick. Our own mother thought she added hair extensions. Needless to say, me, my mom and two other sisters have started this same regiment. I'll update this post as time progresses for us all.

on 8/28/2014 1:13:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I'll start off by saying I stopped taking this after 6 weeks due to an acne explosion. On my forehead, cheeks, chin, chest, and back. I don't typically break out in that quantity, especially on my forehead and back, and I've discontinued taking 5,000's + e gummies (hair skin and nails) for ~2 wks, and have noticed a huge improvement. I drink a lot of water due to a low carb diet, but that didn't seem to help.

I was taking this supplement to help with hair loss due to hypothyroid, as well as growing out my pixie. I don't think I took this long enough to see any hair improvement, but I did notice stronger and quicker growing nails. That was awesome, but not enough to make up for the skin issues.

on 8/23/2014 2:21:00 AM

I am taking this 5000 mg dissolving tablet on the advice of my podiatrist to strengthen my toenails because of a perennial fungal infection that has survived multiple bouts of oral anti fungal Rx (it clears up but never permanently and I worry about my liver function) and has spread, albeit slowly to other nails. My toenails also bruise easily as Drs have said my feet look like a long-distance runner's-not so from the ankles up, but I digress. I have had no negative effects such as mentioned by others here. My fingernails seem to have benefitted most in terms of speed of growth but I have seen no improvement elsewhere. It's only been 6 weeks so I will continue and see. These were on sale at Costco for $12 which seems a little much but I take this with the even more costly Sustanex chewy probiotics $20 as a treat. Boy that seems pretty sad, no?

on 8/22/2014 10:50:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I've been taking biotin for about a month now, and while my nails are certainly growing faster, they haven't really been any stronger. My hair grows pretty quickly so it was hard to tell if it's had any effect.

I'm going to finish the bottle - another month's worth - and update my review then, but so far I'm not convinced. I'll probably just switch to a multivitamin that contains biotin (if I can find one that agrees with me) instead of buying an entirely different supplement just for this.

Popular Treatments