September 22, 2014 | 1226 users online

Treatments - Biotin (All brands)

rated 1 of 5 on 7/9/2014 4:01:00 AM More reviews by Callque

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

Even when I would only take HALF a pill it would break me out.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2014 10:55:00 PM More reviews by tC_girl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been taking 5000 mg of Biotin daily for the past three months and wish I had properly researched it before doing so. I've been consistently breaking out (including painful, cystic acne which I normally don't get) and didn't figure out it was related to Biotin. Now that I'm reading these reviews, it seems I'm definitely not alone on this one. The pros are that my hair grew a bit faster and looked healthier and shinier overall but the major con is the adverse reaction my skin had. I'm breaking out in areas I don't usually break out at! (forehead, back, etc). Some reviewers say to drink plenty of water and NOT to take dosages higher than 1000 mg a day or to counteract the breakouts but adding other vitamins/supplements.

It may not make everyone break out but I was one of the unlucky ones. I even went on vacation for a few days last week and forgot to pack my Biotin with me. And what do you know, my skin was clear the entire time until I got home and resumed taking it. I didn't realize it at the time but I do now. Stopping this immediately for good because long hair definitely isn't worth ruining my skin and self-esteem for.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2014 8:43:00 PM More reviews by shutterbug07

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I started taking biotin (Natrol Biotin in Strawberry) to strengthen my hair, promote growth, and combat hair fallout and breakage. Within 2-3 weeks I noticed a difference, particularly in the strength of my nails, but also in my hair. I will continue to take it every 1-2 days because I am SO pleased with the results. Please note that if you are struggling with hair fallout and breakage that biotin is not a quick fix. A healthy diet, zinc and iron are also important, and coconut oil will help combat those split ends/breakage. Also make sure you're using a sulfate-free shampoo/conditioner! There are many great natural hair products that won't hurt your hair with all those harsh chemicals.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2014 3:00:00 PM More reviews by BriddaBella

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this product, because my hair is naturally really thin and I heard that taking Biotin tablets would help them to grow thicker. So I bought the maximum strength ones on amazon. I bought enough for 6 months and I was hoping that this would help strengthen and thicken my hair. By the way I don't dye my hair nor do I use any heat tools on my hair, so my hair is quite healthy.

After using Biotin for 6 months, I haven't noticed any difference. My hair was still thin as usual and I did not find that it made any difference on my nails either.

However it did make my hair grow really fast. I think within 3 months my hair grew 3-4 inches.
I'm not sure if it make my nails grow faster too though.

I won't be repurchasing it, but I do think it's worth a try. Maybe it'll work better for you.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/3/2014 1:49:00 PM More reviews by allieamat

Over the last year I have been wearing tight ponytails and my hair towards the front started thinning. I purchased biotin about 2 weeks ago at walgreens and religiously took a pill daily and 14 days later my problem area is full of hair. My baby hairs have grown an inch, which is a miracle in this short time period. Not to mention, I do have acne history, and this did not break me out!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/23/2014 10:41:00 PM More reviews by happysunshinerainbowkitty

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This stuff made me Breakout :/

rated 5 of 5 on 6/16/2014 11:49:00 AM More reviews by jd1980

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've been using Eu Natural Biotin 5000 mcg from Amazon since the start of the year and it works. My nails haven't been this strong in years and hair has been growing much quicker. Highly recommended you get this brand also since they use pure Biotin.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/25/2014 9:07:00 PM More reviews by koreenicole

I've used biotin for about a year now. My nails feel stronger, but they're such a helpless case. They still break. I don't know if it has effected my hair or not. My ends are WAY softer than they used to be. They were so dry it was gross, but now they're soft. Not sure if it's from the biotin or my conditioner. My skin is as clear as crystal! I figured it was my face wash, but I got busy for a few weeks and forgot to take biotin each morning. My acne broke out horribly. I went back on biotin and my skin cleared up super fast. Would recommend

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2014 12:29:00 PM More reviews by AngieGCarp

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Wow! I was expecting this to be a disaster when I began taking 10000 mg of Biotin. I was extremely worried about skin issues but I have had no problems whatsoever. What I have experienced is my eyebrows are coming back (even my daughter said something to me about it) and my usually splitting, peeling nails are as strong as an ox! I wish it was helping me grow back some of my head hair that I have lost over the past couple of years that I thought was medicine related but I think now is hereditary but I am pleased with what I AM getting. My eyebrows have been an embarrassment to me for a long time because of the amount of drawing in I had to do and every time I put on makeup it seems to take me less and less time. I think barring no skin incidents I will stay on the biotin because I like the results. I have been taking it about a month now. I wish I could advocate it though but with people having such bad skin results I am reserved but if you are willing to chance it I say go for it!

p.s. I will say for reference I am not acne prone and use products to combat acne even though I don't have it so that might help you.

Happy Makeuping!❤️

Edit: I have noticed since I changed brands of my biotin that I have had a few more pimples than normal but I have to say that since it is summer I have been a little more oily than normal. I have been using self tanner on my face and less of my acne preventing routine. It is nothing like what these girls are talking about but I thought I would mention it. Basically, my point is...keep up your skin care routine...even amp it up a little if you believe you are having biotin related breakout.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2014 3:25:00 PM More reviews by raquel36

Biotin works. The key is the amount. A lot of multivitamins only have 300 mcg. It only works for me if I'm taking between 3000 and 5000