4.9

magnesium sulfate

I buy the big jug at Walmart , very cheap! I use it every bath time . Does not cause me any skin problems at All. Very good deal.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Smoothing, relaxing, beautifying, detoxify-ing, and cheap. What else is a girl to ask for? :)

on 10/18/2014 2:00:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

I keep bags of Epsom Salt in my closet. My mother and grandmother kept Epsom Salt in their closet. It is the best thing, from soaking your body to placing hot compresses on areas that are inflamed from injections (flu shots, etc). I use it on my horse as well. She gets very large inflamed areas when she gets her yearly injections (shots).

on 10/3/2014 12:21:00 AM

Yeah you really truly cannot getter a better valued cheap product. Epsom salts are such a staple and classic for good reason. There is so much science behind how and why they work. I totally attest to all the positive reviews below. With all of the product hoop-la out there, it's nice to have simple, simple, inexpensive products that do what no overpriced, ridiculously marketed HE product can. You can't beat the natural power of Epsom salts! Everyone should have these on hand. I personally have used them for soaking in the tub. Afterwards I have less aches and pains, less bloating, minimized breakouts (if done weekly), and skin that's moisturized feeling as well. They are naturally detoxifying too.

on 8/22/2014 10:41:00 AM

Epsom salts have been my go to, must have, product for sore muscles, calming baths for the last 15 years. A friend way back when told me her dad used them after his walking postal route in the evenings. I had heard of people soaking their feet but not whole baths. I had some n my Equine first aid cabinet, so I tried them. At that time the cost was $2.99 per 3lb bag. When I overdo, which is often I have 5 horses, I can undo some of the damage with a good soak. I throw in Essential oils like Lavender in the evening or Arnica if I'm hurting. I could not do my chores and recover with out Epsom salts!

on 8/9/2014 1:56:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I use epsom salts to prevent/get rid of morning cramps in my ankles. Periodically, I wake up and accidentally stretch, and it causes my ankles to cramp - it continues like that EVERY morning, until I do something about it. Ankle cramps happen when I need more magnesium, which is a component of epsom salts. As soon as I do only ONE 20-25 min foot soak (I think more than 12-15 minutes is not actually necessary though), I get an effect almost immediately: the next morning my feet don't cramp nearly as much, and after two baths: no cramps! :) I really love that epsom salt baths are such a good source of magnesium, without having to take supplements! So yea - if you have cramps in your ankles in the morning, you should try epsom salts :)

Unortunately, I don't have a bathtub, so I can't test out what would happen if I took whole-body epsom salt baths.

on 7/25/2014 1:27:00 PM

I buy these when they are on sale at walmart in the huge bags i love taking epsom salt baths they really sooth my skin and release stress from a hectic day.

on 6/3/2014 12:47:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine

I have very dry but acne prone skin. I first tried epsom salts in a face mask and loved the results, my skin looked 'plumped up' and smooth. I now use it as a spray twice a day. In the morning under my moisturiser and foundation, and at night after toning and before moisturising. My skin looks a lot more balanced.

on 5/8/2014 11:16:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Here's a DIY recipe for making epsom salt body lotion:

1/2 cup of Epsom Salts
3/4 cup of warm water
2 cups of moisturizer lotion (thick as possible)

Instructions
Epsom salts have amazing health benefits but being able to soak in a tub of Epsom salts (typical application) is not always practical. This recipe blends the salt and the lotion to create a Epsom salt cream/lotion.

Mix the water and salt together and stir until all the salt crystals are dissolved. Next pour in the lotion (any basic brand) and mix well. You may need to use a whisk to combine it.

Pour into a clean jar or container.

Apply to the skin like a normal moisturizer. This lotion is great for burns, stings and aching tired joints.

Source: http://craftbits.com/project/epsom-salt-body-lotion/

on 4/24/2014 4:51:00 PM

Oh my, MUA. You are responsible for so many wonderful discoveries!

I love baths - love.them. I haven't taken a shower since my c-section four and a half years ago (twins!). While I rarely have time to soak these days (see aforementioned twins), when I really need to unwind, Dr. Teal's chamomile epsom salts are my drug of choice ($4.89 for a 3-lb. bag).

Others have articulated the science behind the miracle far more effectively than I could, but I will say this: These salts make the water soft, and you can almost feel your muscles relaxing as you slip into the water. The scent is stronger while you soak than it is when you emerge from the bath (which is in my opinion a good thing, as I prefer to put on perfume or body spray after a bath).

My husband runs daily and occasionally goes through phases of muscle irritation. When he does, he uses Dr. Teal's Relax and Relief (eucalyptus and spearmint) salts to ease the pain.

Before I had my little ones, I was a bubble bath junkie -- tried everything from Aveda (which I adore) to Vaseline (also a favorite). When it comes to actual results, I have to endorse good old fashioned epsom salts.

Popular Bath Treatments